Star Trek nuTrek Now With Second Trailer

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,540 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

What I'm complaining about is that the ship access tubes seem (from the trailer) to be single laned.  This suggests to me that not only do they have tight access controls, but also a limited number of berths available for ships to dock themselves.  Then, do they back out, or is there some point where they can turn the ship around inside the base?

It seems to me that all it would take is one inept helmsman to completely shutdown an access tube (Galaxy Quest, anyone?).  IOW, the access to the station seems mighty limiting for what is supposed to be a freeport.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 May 2016 - 05:15 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#42 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,214 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 24 May 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

We do have a new Deep Space Nine in the relaunch continuity (designed by Andy Probert and modeled by Douglas E. Graves), and it is a big city compared to the "small town" of the old one.  
Still looks Cardassian, though.  The original theme of DS9 was preparing Bajor for entry into the Federation.  If it had been me, I would have had a brand-new, Federation-style starbase under construction in the background throughout the series.  Then, in the finale, Bajor is officially admitted and everybody moves over to the new station.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#43 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,540 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Here's the latest trailer for Star Trek Beyond:

:unsure:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#44 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

I liked it. I'm pretty excited for the movie. It will be hard to watch though with Anton Yelchin's death still so fresh.

In other news, there is a new name (or a more official name, I guess) for these new films: The Kelvin timeline.

http://www.treknews....rse-is-no-more/

For years, Star Trek fans, critics and detractors have struggled with what to call the rebooted Star Trek film franchise, which has so far included 2009’s Star Trek, 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness, and this summer’s Star Trek Beyond. In recent years, most have settled on unofficially calling them the “JJ-Verse” or “Abramsverse”, of course, in recognition of the first two film’s director and the third’s producer J.J. Abrams.

Well, the time has come to retire those, as Paramount and CBS have officially settled on the “Kelvin Timeline”. A name that was revealed for the first time by Star Trek Online lead designer Al Rivera on Twitter.

I don't mind the new name since that is the point of convergence in the two timelines.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#45 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,540 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

^^^ Did you mean "divergence" -- where things split apart -- as opposed to "convergence" -- where things come together?  But, yeah, the Kelvin Timeline works for me as a descriptor for the recent movies. From the trailer it looks as if this is the last of the trilogy (I can only hope), especially given that it looks as if they destroyed the Enterprise (again!).

Speaking of which, the original 11-foot model of TOS Enterprise, freshly restored to its "Trouble With Tribbles" incarnation, is to be unveiled at the National Air and Space Museum tomorrow (Tues. June 28).  That's rather exciting ... maybe I'll check it out over the July 4th weekend.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 28 June 2016 - 07:07 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#46 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:37 AM

^^^ Did you mean "divergence" -- where things split apart -- as opposed to "convergence" -- where things come together?

Yes I did. No idea why I put convergence when I meant divergence.

From the trailer it looks as if this is the last of the trilogy (I can only hope), especially given that it looks as if they destroyed the Enterprise (again!).

It does kind of give off a final film type vibe but I doubt the studio will want to end a lucrative franchise this early. Besides, it's not as if this is the first time the films have destroyed the Enterprise just to have a new Enterprise built.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#47 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:44 AM

"Star Trek Beyond" sounds like something Buzz Lightyear would say. For that reason alone, I'm out.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#48 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

It's almost demeaning to "sell" a preview with an R&B or hip-hop artist's new single (I honestly don't know which Rihanna is).  Isn't it good enough to sell it as a movie instead of as a music video?????  (Old person grumble?)
Cats will never be extinct!

#49 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostThemis, on 03 July 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

It's almost demeaning to "sell" a preview with an R&B or hip-hop artist's new single (I honestly don't know which Rihanna is).  Isn't it good enough to sell it as a movie instead of as a music video?????  (Old person grumble?)

A lot of these new Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies are just promotional gimmicks and commercials for video games.

But then, when we were kiddies, weren't a lot of Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows, like Superman (in black and white), just the same for comic books?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#50 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

http://collider.com/...beyond-reviews/

Last night, Star Trek Beyond screened for junket press in L.A., and they were allowed to tweet their thoughts about the film afterwards. While responses to junket screenings tend to lean positive (you’re not going to publicly badmouth something and then go interview the people responsible for it), it’s still encouraging, and some very trustworthy folks are singing the praises of Star Trek Beyond.

Many say that this is a vast improvement over Star Trek Into Darkness, and they’re praising not only the film’s script and humor, but also that it feels like an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, which is a far cry from J.J. AbramsStar Trek movies, which don’t feel like Star Trek at all. While I was a bit apprehensive about this film because there’s no press screening in Atlanta (press are getting tickets to a public screening, so it’s an odd compromise), I’m going to take heart in these comments.

This is good news. While the reviews might have a reason to be more positive as the article points out, the fact that they're all pretty positive is a god indication of the quality of the movie. I hope so, anyways. Besides several of the tweets do point out negative aspects of the movie. I was already getting excited for this movie and these mini-reviews/tweets have just made me more excited.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#51 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,214 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Well, at least they're admitting that the Abrams movies felt nothing like real Trek. I feel really bad for Simon Pegg. He seems very sincere, but there's no way I'll be able to watch any sequel to that horrid reboot.  Maybe he'll get a chance to work on the TV show.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#52 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

Variety review - possible spoilers in short plot descriptions:

http://variety.com/2...hin-1201814942/

“Star Trek Beyond” might have been more accurately entitled “Star Trek Contained.” It’s got a very familiar, old-fangled, no-mystery structure, and that’s because it’s basically the “Star Trek” version of an interplanetary action film, with a plot that doesn’t take you to many new frontiers. But there’s plenty of chance to hang out with a cast that audiences have — rightly — come to love.

Sounds promising to me.
Cats will never be extinct!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek, nuTrek, Now With Second Trailer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users