Supergirl DC CBS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

Posted Image

With Astra in captivity at the DEO, her husband, Non (Chris Vance), captures Hank, leading to a tense standoff between the two sides. Also, Kara continues to refute Cat's allegations that she is Supergirl.

I'm so glad this show is back. It didn't even have that long of a hiatus but it was long enough. It will be interesting to see how this episode plays out. What do Astra and Non want from Lord Technologies? Will Astra remain a prisoner of the DEO? Will Cat definitively find that Kara is Supergirl, or will a certain Martian help out in that regard? Will Kara even find out that Henshaw is a Martian?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

Alright, I'm confused now.

What was the point of the attack on Lord Industries then? All to capture Hank? To trade for Astra? And how was Lord simply able to order off a federal agency after a attack that THEY witnessed?

I had hopes that they wouldn't do a reset with Cat knowing Kara was Supergirl, but such was not to be apparently. And J'onn didn't seem to have that big of a problem telling Kara after all, so what was his whole deal with not wanting to tell her in the first place???? Very, very confusing. It's almost as if the writers of the show have no clue where they are going with the overall story arc.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

This was a good episode and a nice follow-up to the cliff-hanger from last week.

Some of my favorite parts were definitely Cat's comments to Kara about her being Supergirl. Freaking hilarious. I appreciated that Cat didn't try to abuse her knowledge in any way nor did she threaten to out Kara. In fact, she realized that the job was probably holding Supergirl back from saving more people. Firing Kara might seem mean, but she was doing it for the right reasons.

I pretty much saw J'onn impersonating Kara to "prove" to Cat that Kara wasn't Supergirl. Part of me is disappointed because it could have lead to some interesting moments if Cat knew the truth, but part of me is also glad that not every person on the show knows the secret. It was a smart move on the writers' part to show that Cat isn't stupid and figured out Kara's secret but is convinced otherwise because she doesn't know a shape-shifter is on Earth.

Max Lord has really gone to the dark side. Sure, Jimmy illegally broke into his facility but that doesn't give him the right to abduct and torture him. I do wonder who exactly is in Room 52 and what Lord's plans are for her. He had Red Tornado's arm in there. Maybe he's creating a super-human of his own that can go toe to toe with Kryptonians.

I liked that this episode gave us some insight into the villains. Astra isn't just a remorseless killing machine. She truly regrets what she has done but sees no other way. Alura believed her that Krypton was going to die and promised to save the planet using non-violent, compassionate ways and that didn't work. That must have just reinforced in Astra that violence is the only way to go. Better that some die than everyone. Non, despite being crazy and kill happy, does seem to truly love Astra and is willing to follow her orders. When she told him to stand down and let Supergirl and the others go, he did.

General Lane has apparently been scared of alien invaders since seeing the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still." When he looks at Superman, Supergirl, or any other alien he sees an invader that is going to force their will on Earth. Max's distrust of aliens has been established, but here he gets validation when the Fort Rozz army attacks his HQ.

What was the point of the attack on Lord Industries then? All to capture Hank? To trade for Astra? And how was Lord simply able to order off a federal agency after a attack that THEY witnessed?

I don't think it was just to capture Hank. I think capturing a high ranking member of the DEO to trade for Astra was always part of the plan, but I believe there really was something there that they wanted. Maybe something to do with Room 52. For all we know, they got what they came for. As for how Lord could order them away, my guess is because the DEO is a classified military outfit they didn't want to make waves. If Lord had gone public with what he knew it could cause problems for the DEO. I'm thinking Alex also knew that even if she did try to force the issue Lord wouldn't take it lying down. She knows about his hatred for the government and probably believed he would do everything in his power to get them out of there. Besides, they had bigger issues to deal with like getting Henshaw back.

It was nice seeing Winn and Jimmy interact with each other in a way that didn't involve fighting for Kara's love. They make a good duo. Winn's sarcastic little remarks were funny. Hopefully we see more of that from them in the future. Their talk to Supergirl about how she couldn't sink to the level of Astra or Non was a great moment as well.

I liked that hope and faith won out in the end. Kara put her faith in Astra and tried to reach some common ground, and I think she made some progress. Astra did seem to be swayed somewhat by what Supergirl was saying. She did let all of them leave without a fight. I'm not saying that Astra is suddenly going to abandon her plans but I think Supergirl has introduced some doubt into her mind.

And J'onn didn't seem to have that big of a problem telling Kara after all, so what was his whole deal with not wanting to tell her in the first place???? Very, very confusing. It's almost as if the writers of the show have no clue where they are going with the overall story arc.

Well, Kara does have trouble keeping a secret. She told Winn right off the bat. Cat figured it out. J'onn was right to be worried about that. Plus he just seems like a secretive person who doesn't want people to know about him. In interviews the writers have said that they will address why J'onn didn't reveal himself to Kara, or to the world, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think the writers have a plan and know where they are going. They said that they decided to make Henshaw the Martian Manhunter early on, so this must have been planned for awhile. They used his reveal to help Kara convince Cat that she wasn't Supergirl.

When Astra was talking to Alura it almost sounded as if Astra's plan involved changing the Kryptonians in some way. Alura said that Astra was going to take away their freedom and choice and Astra said she was going to give them courage. I wonder what her plan was, and if it's the same one she is going to implement on Earth.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CBS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users