Godzilla PS4 Game

Godzilla PS4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Godzilla is a fun, if flawed game that is probably best enjoyed in small increments. I’ve had a lot of fun playing it, but it’s not a game that I can sit down and play for hours.

The meat and potatoes of the game is found under the God of Destruction mode. There are three different options in that mode: Go Ashore, Invade, and Defend.

Go Ashore is where you play as Godzilla, specifically the Heisei version. There are 25 different stages here, divided up into three different tracks: Easy, Normal, and Hard. You can switch tracks occasionally.

Each stage has the same goals. There are G-Energy towers that Godzilla has to destroy to end the level. There are also four data collection points you can get, though you can beat the stage without getting them all. However, I recommend getting all of them when you can because the later stages are locked until you collect 50% of the data points. These also unlock the bios for basically every kaiju Toho has ever created, whether they’re featured in the game or not.

More often than not, a rival kaiju will appear in the stage and Godzilla will have to beat it to end the stage, even if all of the G-Energy towers are destroyed.

Another aim is to grow Godzilla. You do this by destroying buildings, tanks, planes, helicopters, etc. which releases G-Energy. The more buildings and stuff you destroy the more G-Energy you collect. You want to get a good streak going to get as much G-Energy as possible. G-Energy causes Godzilla (and other kaiju when you play as them) to grow and get more powerful. The aim is to get at least 100m to unlock the final stages. If you don’t achieve that in a playthrough then you can’t unlock the last stages. Depending on what track you take and what kaiju you’re playing as this can be easy or hard. When I played as the adult form of Battra I didn’t succeed, but the first time I played as Burning Godzilla (one of the more powerful kaiju in the game, at least until you level some of the others up) I achieved it easy.

There is kind of a story in this mode. Godzilla has been attracted by the G-Energy towers and is making his way through Japan to feed on them. The Prime Minister (different on the three tracks) gives G-Force the go ahead to stop Godzilla. You’ll occasionally see the Prime Minister and a G-Force soldier appear in boxes towards the left of the screen commenting on what’s going on.

The more destruction you cause, the higher the response rate rises. Once it reaches a certain level, the response rate is raised and you’ll be facing a tougher response from the military. They’ll call out more tanks, fighter jets, Mazer tanks, and eventually missile trucks that shoot freeze missiles that cool your atomic breath gauge.

Invade is essentially the same as Go Ashore, except you can play as any other kaiju you’ve unlocked (including the three other versions of Godzilla) and there are no data points to collect. Otherwise it plays the same. Cause destruction, destroy towers, fight kaiju, and try to grow 100m to unlock the final stages.

Defend allows you to play as the few kaiju considered good and, IMO, is the hardest mode. Instead of causing untold destruction, you’re trying to prevent it. Every stage starts with a rampaging kaiju. You have to keep the destruction level above 50% and keep at least one of the G-Energy towers intact. This is made hard because simply traversing the city can cause buildings to explode, and most of your acts will unintentionally harm buildings. I basically just try to keep the enemy kaiju contained in one area that’s all ready been destroyed. It usually works.

Here, instead of growing by collecting G-Energy, it’s tied into how much of the city is saved at the end of a level.
There’s also an on-line mode that I haven’t tried yet where you can fight against other people. There’s a diorama mode where you can place city-scapes and kaiju figurines (that you have to unlock) and create a picture I guess. I haven’t really messed with it.

The last mode is basically just a six stage Mortal Kombat style brawler. You pick a kaiju and then fight six different kaiju. It’s timed but I don’t worry about that really. The only bad thing about this mode is that you can’t (at least as far as I’ve seen) is that you can’t collect G-Energy and you need that to level up the various kaiju.

I’m going to use the main Godzilla to talk about how these giant kaiju control. With a few variations (like different special attacks or whether a kaiju can fly or not) these beasts all have the same basic control scheme.

The first thing, and a major knock against the game, is just how slow Godzilla (and the rest of the kaiju) is. I get that in the movies most of them are slow but that didn’t need to be translated to the game. It gets frustrating, especially if you’re trying to build up a good destruction multiplier. It also sucks because it takes a long time to completely turn Godzilla around to face an enemy kaiju. I have unlocked a quick turn for Godzilla (and I’m hoping that exists for the rest of the kaiju) but that’s something that should have been part of his skill set from the get-go.

Godzilla has to special attacks. The first is, of course, his atomic breath. It’s basically your standard atomic breath from the movies. However, as you level him up you can unlock different types of atomic breath. Godzilla also has an area devastating attack that is pretty useful because it destroys a good portion of your surroundings, knocks back any kaiju, and makes you basically invulnerable while you have it going.

Those two special attacks are limited by a gauge. You start out with one gauge, and it refills slowly. You can upgrade it to refill faster and also unlock more gauges. For Godzilla I have three gauges that fill up pretty quickly, so I can atomic blast the heck out of my enemies. Also, if you roar before you perform one of these attacks it makes it more powerful.

Then there are what amount to heavy and light attacks that Godzilla performs with his hands and tail. He also has a rush attack where he charges ahead into a building or kaiju. This can also be upgraded to where you can kick a kaiju after rushing them or perform this leaping/skipping attack that is hilarious to see Godzilla perform.

Like I wrote above, this is basically the same control scheme for all the kaiju. They each have their own special attacks and different light and heavy moves, but the controls don’t really change. Still, playing as Godzilla and then playing as King Ghidorah feels extremely different simply because of their size, special attacks, and how they move. The game tries its best to differentiate between all the kaiju so it doesn’t feel as if you’re playing the same thing just with a different skin. This is even true of the various MechGodzillas, of which there are four of them in the game.

Leveling up is a frustrating part of the game. To level up any kaiju you need two things: G-Energy you collected under one of the three God of Destruction modes, and cells from defeated kaiju. G-Energy is easy to collect because you get it by destroying things. However, it is not transferable between kaiju. If you want to level up Rodan, you have to play invade as Rodan and collect G-Energy. You can’t use G-Energy you collected from Godzilla to level up Rodan. Thankfully, kaiju cells can be applied to any kaiju you want to level up, whether you have played as that kaiju or not.

The cells can also be hard to come by. Some kaiju appear pretty frequently in the stages, but others only appear in certain stages. If you need Kiryu MechaGodzilla cells, you have to go on the hard track in Go Ashore or Invade, or play as him in Defend and win the game. Jet Jaguar only appears on a few stages, and only if certain conditions are met. I had to play as regular Godzilla quite a bit to level him up as much as I did.

To unlock kaiju to play as, you first have to beat them in the GoD mode. Once you beat them, you get a cell from them. You then go to the Evolution menu and use that cell to unlock the kaiju. Once you do that, you can play as them and start to level them up.

One major complaint against the game is that, while it’s a blast to play as any of the giant monsters, it gets repetitive quickly. Whether you’re playing Godzilla in Go Ashore, or any kaiju in Invade or Defend, it doesn’t change much. There aren’t a ton of stages so you’ll see all of them pretty quickly and they will get re-used sometimes. You’ll more or less face the same kaiju in the same stages every time you play. Trying to get to 100m can be a chore sometimes and that can take some of the fun out of the game.

However, as long as you play in short bursts, this game can be a blast. It’s fun playing as any of these giant monsters and rampaging through a city fighting against another kaiju while the military launches attacks against both of you. In one stage I was Godzilla and faced off against both Rodan and the Heisei version of MechaGodzilla. It was tough but thrilling. In another stage I fought against a kaiju plus all three versions of Super X at the same time.

You can tell the creators are fans of Godzilla and all of these kaiju. Every kaiju in the GoD mode gets its own personal intro movie when they appear in a stage. Every kaiju’s special attacks come from the movies. They look and sound just like they do in the movies. While you don’t get to play as every kaiju ever, it’s a great roster that is available and there are some surprises in there.

Godzilla is not as good of a game as it could have been. Slow monsters, a frustrating leveling system, and too much repetition hurts the enjoyment of the game. If you can look past those flaws though you’ll have a smile on your face as you take flight as King Ghidorah or blast someone with Godzilla’s atomic breath or shoot missiles from MechaGodzilla or perform crazy karate moves as Jet Jaguar.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 08 January 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

Invade is essentially the same as Go Ashore, except you can play as any other kaiju you’ve unlocked (including the three other versions of Godzilla)

What versions of Godzilla does the game include? I know there have been a lot more than four variants in the movies. Heck, even discounting redesigns of the same Godzilla, there have been a number of distinct individual Godzillae: The original 1954 monster; the second Showa Godzilla that was around from 1955-75; the Heisei Godzilla that was active from 1984-94; the Godzilla 2000 version; the Megaguirus Godzilla (implicitly the '54 monster but different in design); the GMK Godzilla (ditto); the Kiryu Godzilla; the Final Wars Godzilla (implicitly the second Showa Godzilla but different in design); and the Legendary Godzilla (arguably an alternate version of the '54 monster). And that's not counting Minya and Godzilla Junior.

Defend allows you to play as the few kaiju considered good

Like who? Presumably the heroic Showa Godzilla isn't included, so who else is there? Mothra, King Kong, and Anguirus come to mind. You mentioned Jet Jaguar. The Heisei era had Mothra, Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla Junior on the good-ish side, and Battra and Radon/Rodan were kind of chaotic neutral. Millennium had Kiryu as well as Mothra and other Showa creatures. GMK even made King Ghidorah and Baragon into good guys.

The first thing, and a major knock against the game, is just how slow Godzilla (and the rest of the kaiju) is.

With creatures that big, it's logical that they'd be slow, but I can see how that would be less than ideal for gameplay.

This is even true of the various MechGodzillas, of which there are four of them in the game.

Four? There were only three variants in the movies, one per era, unless you count the Super-Mechagodzilla variant formed by combining the G-Force Mechagodzilla with the Garuda aircraft.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

What versions of Godzilla does the game include? I know there have been a lot more than four variants in the movies.

The main one used in the Go Ashore mode is the Heisei era Godzilla. Then there is the 1964 Godzilla, the Burning Godzilla from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, and the 2014 American Godzilla. Apart from the American Godzilla, the other Godzillas all control the same way and have the same basic attacks. The American Godzilla controls and moves differently and has slightly different attacks.

Like who? Presumably the heroic Showa Godzilla isn't included, so who else is there? Mothra, King Kong, and Anguirus come to mind. You mentioned Jet Jaguar. The Heisei era had Mothra, Mechagodzilla, and Godzilla Junior on the good-ish side, and Battra and Radon/Rodan were kind of chaotic neutral. Millennium had Kiryu as well as Mothra and other Showa creatures. GMK even made King Ghidorah and Baragon into good guys.

Mothra (both Larva and Adult forms), Super MechaGodzilla, Kiryu MechaGodzilla, Mecha-King Ghidorah, and Jet Jaguar.

Four? There were only three variants in the movies, one per era, unless you count the Super-Mechagodzilla variant formed by combining the G-Force Mechagodzilla with the Garuda aircraft.

The game separates the original MechaGodzilla that appeared in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla from the MechaGodzilla that appeared in Terror of MechaGodzilla. I'm not sure why as there is little difference in their appearance, though the game does give them different powers.

Here's a list of every unlock-able kaiju from the game. I'll put it in spoilers in case not everyone wants to know who's in the game.

Spoiler

Edited by Virgil Vox, 10 January 2016 - 11:19 AM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 January 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

The main one used in the Go Ashore mode is the Heisei era Godzilla. Then there is the 1964 Godzilla, the Burning Godzilla from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, and the 2014 American Godzilla.

By "1964 Godzilla," do you mean the design used in Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, aka MosuGoji?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

^it does resemble that suit but in the kaiju guide they just refer to him as the Showa era Godzilla.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 January 2016 - 12:08 AM, said:

^it does resemble that suit but in the kaiju guide they just refer to him as the Showa era Godzilla.

Then I wonder why they'd pick 1964 specifically. The Showa Godzilla series ran from 1954-1975.

Facebook Author Page

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:10 PM

Then I wonder why they'd pick 1964 specifically. The Showa Godzilla series ran from 1954-1975.

I don't know. Maybe they thought that was the best Godzilla look from that era, or the most recognizable one?
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, PS4

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users