Supergirl DC CBS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Posted Image

Kara does her best to support Winn when his father, the supervillain Toyman, breaks out of prison and seeks out his son for unknown reasons. Also, Cat offers Lucy a job at CatCo and Alex asks Hank to use his powers to help uncover Maxwell Lord's plans.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

This was certainly a darker episode than most. Nothing wrong with that. I liked the character work done with Winn and Hank. I also did not see that ending coming.

They made Toyman into a pretty credible threat and made him pretty creepy. He's just a psychotic guy that had a break with reality. His lair was pretty cool. What really worked is what he brought out in Winn. The poor dude has lived his entire life believing he was going to snap just like his dad, so he tried to be extra happy and keep his anger in check. I felt so bad for the guy. This episode really tore him up, especially since he finally revealed his feelings to Kara and she basically rejected him. I wonder how this will play out for the rest of the season. It's a pretty big upset for their relationship.

I'm glad the episode finally gave us a reason as to why J'onn stays in his Hank form all the time. He believes he can do more good as Hank, and when he was the Martian Manhunter he spent 50 years being chased, presumably by the DEO. People didn't accept him. It also explains his early attitude towards Supergirl. She's an alien who is accepted because she looks like a blond cheerleader whereas he looks like a monster. It also seems like maybe he doesn't have a great control over his powers, since he basically had to wipe the security guard's entire memory so that he didn't report what he had seen.

It did annoy me that, when the guard asked him what a Code Phoenix was, J'onn didn't read the guy's mind.

Lord knows Supergirl's secret now. He knows that she is Kara Danvers and is sister to Alex. No good is going to come of that. I do wonder what he's doing with the girl in Room 52. I wonder if she is going to be

Spoiler

If Lord is telling the truth that the Fort Rozz aliens didn't steal anything from his building, then what were they after? Did they get it or were they thwarted by the appearance of the DEO?

Cat didn't have much to do this episode but she stole the show as usual. Her comments about Lois were hysterical, same with her advice to Kara about her feelings for Jimmy and how Kara should be paying her. She's not wrong.

I'm not really feeling the Jimmy/Lucy relationship. I guess it's because they've been pushing Jimmy/Kara hard so it feels like Jimmy is with Lucy more out of obligation than anything else. I guess we'll be seeing more of Lucy now that she has accepted a job at CatCo.

Loved seeing Emma Caulfield again. Her role as Cameron Chase wasn't large, but hopefully she will make a return appearance somewhere down the line.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 19 January 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

It did annoy me that, when the guard asked him what a Code Phoenix was, J'onn didn't read the guy's mind.

That part annoyed me also. When the guard asked him that question, I was so expecting J'onn to read his mind. Not wipe out his entire memory.

Lord knows Supergirl's secret now. He knows that she is Kara Danvers and is sister to Alex. No good is going to come of that.

I was actually surprised Alex didn't spot the camera on her purse, it IS fairly obvious.

Cat didn't have much to do this episode but she stole the show as usual. Her comments about Lois were hysterical, same with her advice to Kara about her feelings for Jimmy and how Kara should be paying her. She's not wrong.

Completely agree. That was one of the best scenes.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:37 PM

This ep is, I think, based on my favorite Suoernan story, Alan Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything." I'll have to check it out.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

^ Sounds more like you mean the upcoming Feb 8th ep, not this one.  Try: "Season 1, Episode 13 For the Girl Who Has Everything", in two weeks.  :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 27 January 2016 - 10:43 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

^You are correct. I'm looking forward to that episode. Should be a good one.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CBS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users