Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Spoilers

Legends of Tomorrow 1-1, pic LGN101d_0438b_FULL.jpg

Legends of Tomorrow 1-1, pic LGN101d_0316b_FULL.jpg

Legends of Tomorrow 1-1, pic LGN101d_0288b_FULL.jpg

A time-traveling rogue assembles a group of heroes and villains to prevent the world's destruction. In the opener, Time Master Rip Hunter puts together his diverse team to fight immortal villain Vandal Savage who is on the verge of destroying humanity in 2166.

Promotional photo from images.spoilertv.com. :)

Edit, sorry the pics were delayed.  :hehe:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 January 2016 - 06:00 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

I thought this was rather fantastic. For a spin-off taking characters from two other shows and throwing them all together with a time traveler to chase after an immortal despot it worked really well. Every character was given enough introduction that even viewers new to the DC TV universe would be able to more or less be able to know what was going on.

The Waverider is an awesome looking ship. The interior sets are pretty cool as well. It's a great home base for the team.

Chronos made for a decent bad guy. He's a pretty radical departure from his comic book counter-part, who is one of the main villains for the Atom. I'm surprised the Time Masters would employ him since he does go around indiscriminately killing people.

I was glad that Hunter got punched a few times. He did come across as very arrogant and condescending to the team members. You'd think as someone who is doing all of this because he lost his son he would have a bit more compassion for the Hawks. It also makes sense that he would grab people who weren't important in the long run because if they do die it won't affect the timeline too much.

Speaking of, that was a sad development when they realized that they had a son in a previous life that they didn't remember, and then see him die in front of them. That has got to be terrible. I wonder if they had any other children? You'd think they would find it too hard to always outlive their children, if they even remember them in the end.

I wasn't sure how Cold and Heatwave would fit into the series but I'm loving them so far. Cold has progressed to more of an anti-hero than and out and out villain on The Flash so he somewhat fits in here. Heatwave just seems happy to have a chance to bust some heads. Heatwave also got some of the best lines in the episode, like when he asked Stein for the roofies he gave to Jefferson and said, "I'm not judging."

So Gideon goes from being a tool used by Barry to being used by the Reverse-Flash to now being the A.I. for Rip's timeship.

Sara hasn't conquered her bloodlust yet so you know that's going to come up eventually. Cold and Heatwave may kill someone now and then but they can stop if they want and have. Sara feels an urge to kill that she can't really deny.

Poor Ray. He's a genius that has invented shrinking technology and Stein pretty much dismisses him.

I do wonder how this can be anything other than a limited series. The budget has to be extremely high. Most of the characters have some kind of special power that requires CGI. Presumably they're going to be time traveling a lot as well so that means a lot of varied sets and costumes.

It was nice seeing Oliver and Laurel making an appearance on the show. I was hoping for Barry to show up too but you can't have it all.

I do wish they had just shown parts 1 and 2 back to back instead of splitting them up. It really wasn't much of a cliff-hanger for them to end on.

This was a very promising start to the series. It was fun, action packed, served the characters well, and gave a good reason for why these heroes need to band together. I was pretty much grinning from ear to ear and fanboy geeking out during the entire episode.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:37 AM

The best line has to be Capt Cold's: "We go out for one drink and you pick a fight with Bobba Fett!" LOL.

Except for that one reference about how Vandal Savage could be resurrected if the killing blow wasn't done by the Hawks, was kind of disappointed in the lack of info on how Savage gets reconstructed? And how this story wasn't finished in about half the episode. All Rip Hunter needed to do was ask the Hawks exactly when they "killed" Savage, go to that time, gather the ashes before Merlyn does, and that would be the end of Savage. Problem solved. What's the point of chasing after Savage through the 70's and what not? Their goal should be preventing him from being resurrected.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:47 AM

The other Time Lords Masters are probably guarding that particular time frame, which means Hunter's team has to strike at Savage while he's alive.

I loved the whole Cold/Heatwave/Canary bonding scene in the bar.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 22 January 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

I loved the whole Cold/Heatwave/Canary bonding scene in the bar.

That WAS good. Especially liked Cold's line of "Dollar beers, got to LOVE the 70's". LMAO

edited to add:

Although, now that I think about it, unless Rip Hunter gave them 1970's cash...how did they pay for it? Today's money looks different then 1970's money.

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 22 January 2016 - 01:52 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 21 January 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Speaking of, that was a sad development when they realized that they had a son in a previous life that they didn't remember, and then see him die in front of them. That has got to be terrible. I wonder if they had any other children? You'd think they would find it too hard to always outlive their children, if they even remember them in the end.

I remember thinking on this when they got introduced in the Flash. I was wondering if Horus gave them immortality but at the cost of fertility (mainly because either wise in most lives they would end up having children since most of their lives were before reliable contraception. Unless most of one/both of their bodily incarnations were infertile/sterile).

I do wonder how this can be anything other than a limited series. The budget has to be extremely high. Most of the characters have some kind of special power that requires CGI. Presumably they're going to be time traveling a lot as well so that means a lot of varied sets and costumes.

I am wondering that too. And I believe once you include weapons requiring CGI that leaves Sarah the only character not requiring CGI.

It was nice seeing Oliver and Laurel making an appearance on the show. I was hoping for Barry to show up too but you can't have it all.

It would seem kind of odd. Unless Cold was just letting Barry know that he was leaving town a while, but that he'd be back :p ;) Kendra only really knew Cisco well, and that would be kind of awkward, unless she wanted to talk to someone more neutral. In any case she seemed to decide fairly easily without counsel. I wonder if we will see Cold's sister at some point.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 January 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

edited to add:

Although, now that I think about it, unless Rip Hunter gave them 1970's cash...how did they pay for it? Today's money looks different then 1970's money.

I can only assume Gideon provided something that would pass (presumably while it can't contradict Rip Hunter's orders, he didn't order Gideon to not provide them cash that we know of ;) ). Either that or Heatwave wrestled for it or won it some other way ;)

And we are talking about thieves and a reformed assassin so they could have come by it dishonestly :p

Edited by sierraleone, 25 January 2016 - 10:16 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 25 January 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

And we are talking about thieves and a reformed assassin so they could have come by it dishonestly :p

Good points. And that car they drove back in definitely wasn't obtained by any means even remotely legal. LOL.

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

It would seem kind of odd. Unless Cold was just letting Barry know that he was leaving town a while, but that he'd be back :p ;) Kendra only really knew Cisco well, and that would be kind of awkward, unless she wanted to talk to someone more neutral. In any case she seemed to decide fairly easily without counsel. I wonder if we will see Cold's sister at some point.

I know those characters weren't needed but it still would have been nice to see them, even if they were shoehorned in.

Good points. And that car they drove back in definitely wasn't obtained by any means even remotely legal. LOL.

That also seemed like a dive bar. The bartender might not have paid that close attention to the money even if it was 2016 cash.

I am wondering that too. And I believe once you include weapons requiring CGI that leaves Sarah the only character not requiring CGI.

Yep. Maybe it's going to be a short season of only 13 or so episodes. That would help keep costs down.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:52 AM

Where does the time go?  ;)  I meant to comment before this!  :oh:

When Rip first came out of the meeting and said it went "Exactly as expected" and "let's go", my first thought was that the time masters had said no, and he was stealing the ship.  But then I thought nah, he's not The Doctor! :lol:  LOL!  But I was actually right!  :howling:

The waverider is a cool ship (remember where you parked), and I'm glad Gideon is here too.  :)

So this was pretty good as pilots go, as they have to spend time setting up the scenario and all the backstory.  And there are certainly a lot of characters here to introduce.  Most of the setup had been done already on the two parent shows, but they still had to summarize each character for any new viewers, which of course is a little repetitive for those of us who already knew this stuff.  So I thought they did a pretty good at summarizing all the backstories fairly efficiently, without dwelling too much.  Which meant there was still time in the episode for a little bit of story and character development!  ;)

So the time masters are not supposed to have families, to avoid being "compromised".  But I think their decision making is more compromised by not having personal attachments.  If they have no stake in the world, if they don't care about anything, then they have no reason to do anything!  :headshake:  So good on Rip!  :cool:

Also, I thought the twist was very effective.  The idea of being given a chance to make a difference, to do something important, when you would otherwise be insignificant, is actually way more motivating than hey, you are destined to be great, so get to it already!  :cool:  An opportunity to become something great, is way more interesting than just being told that you already are.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

Yay, Rory gets free of Amy and goes time travelling for himself.

This finally crossed the pond and it looks okay. We'll keep going with it.

My only possible gripe is the way Murdoch/Sky schedule these violent cartoon shows before the 9pm watershed. But then, technology has pretty much rendered that deadline irrelevant.
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DCs Legends of Tomorrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users