Supergirl DC CBS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

Kara must help Hank face his painful past when a White Martian, a member of the alien race that wiped out his people, kidnaps Senator Miranda Crane (Tawny Cypress), an anti-alien politician. Also, Cat's estranged son, Adam (Blake Jenner), arrives in National City.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well that got ... intense!  :eek:  That was a good story.  :cool:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

OK, seriously....How the hell is Kara NOT fired here? I mean, deliberately intervening in your Boss's family life, especially regarding something like THIS...and then at the end, dating your Boss's kid...no way she isn't fired.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:14 AM

Well, they've been showing that Kat does have a soft spot for Kara, and thus will let things slide that would have gotten anyone else fired.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

Cat herself tends to steamroll past the borders of "professionalism," so it'd be nicely (and unusually) self-aware of her to let some things slide.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Another strong episode that went to some dark places but still expressed the optimism that runs throughout the show.

Getting a look at J'onn's backstory and how his people were wiped out by the White Martians adds a lot to his character. It explains why he's been in hiding. Every time he uses his powers it lets the White Martians hone in on him. I loved at the end how he said Kara and Alex were like daughters to him. It's taken some time, but the Supergirl characters are really bonding and becoming a family.

I do agree that Kara should have been fired, but like G-man and Cybersnark have pointed out, Cat has let Kara slide on other things. I think Cat likes Kara more than she lets on and is grooming her.

All of the Cat scenes here were good, as she struggles with how to approach Adam. Sure, she has become a great mother to Carter, but how do you relate to the son you basically abandoned? Speaking of, I do hope we see some interaction between Adam and Carter. Maybe a Grant family dinner. That could be awkward and funny.

Blake Jenner did a good job as Adam. I liked him on Glee, and he has good chemistry with Melissa Benoist. He should, considering the two are married in real life. I have no idea how long they plan on keeping Adam around, but it's nice to see Kara focused on someone that's not Jimmy.

Supergirl's rescue of the family in the RV from the forest fire was nicely done. I like that the series does show Supergirl saving people from things other than super villains.

The CGI on the White Martian was rather impressive. It looked great as a hulking monstrosity. The fight between it, J'onn, and Supergirl was well done than it sucked that we didn't see all of their powers being used but that probably would have gotten expensive.

In the comics the White Martians are basically extinct but here they're apparently a thriving species. I get that they need a long term threat to keep J'onn from using his powers all the time, but having an entire race of marauding aliens out there does raise some questions. Why don't they just invade Earth en masse to find J'onn? Do humans know about the White Martians? You'd think an entire species that we saw living on the surface of Mars would be detected at some point.

Luckily there was no Jimmy and Lucy drama this episode. I did like Jimmy following up on his desire to get out of the office and do some actual reporting. He has shown those skills haven't died.

Not a lot of Winn this episode, but that's to be expected. He told Kara he loves her and can't go back to being friends, and she doesn't love him. I am curious as to how the show will handle this moving forward.

I did not expect that ending. I knew that

Spoiler

was going to make an appearance but didn't expect to see a carbon copy of Supergirl causing chaos at the end of the episode.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CBS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users