Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Louisiana says: You have 180 seconds to vote.

Louisiana Voting 2003

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:35 AM

http://www.theadvert...AC58143B5.shtml

LAFAYETTE — Voters who head to the polls Oct. 4 will have three minutes to choose a governor, six statewide officeholders, state senator, state representative and local officials. Then, there’s the 15 constitutional amendments at the end of the ballot.

It's not specified in this article, but I imagine that this is a financial matter.

Is this constitutional? I've never heard of this before!

It strikes me as a blatant abridgement of civil rights. Yeesh!
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:42 AM

But the real question is:

Will they play the music from "Jeopardy" while time is ticking away? :D

Banapis

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:43 AM

LOL Banapis!

I just did the math.

1 governor
6 statewide officeholders
1 state senator
1 state representative
Unspecified variable number of  local officials.
15 constitutional amendments at the end of the ballot.

24 plus a minimum, of let's say three local officials.

180/27 = Almost seven seconds per issue to vote.

With no local offices: A leisurely 7.5 seconds.

I don't see how this is a reasonable expectation at all....

Edited by Javert Rovinski, 25 September 2003 - 11:45 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 12:04 PM

Kimmer sees lawyers of all sizes, shapes and intellect lining up outside voting places.  :wacko:

#5 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:37 PM

Florida round two, here we come! :devil:

(Better yet, let's hire Data to do all the voting for us and avoid the issue of who meant to vote for whom entirely.  :p )
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#6 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:22 PM

You know, I'm taking a perverse pride in the fact I managed to move from NY and go to an even more incompetent state  :blink:
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#7 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:10 PM

I've always found it a good idea to fill out my sample ballot that's mailed to me and take it with me to the polling place. Otherwise, one could be like the confused voter I once saw who was obviously making his decisions right there for the first time while he was in the booth, and was there when I came in, waited in line to sign in and get my ballot, was there while I voted, was there while I waited for the people I'd come in with to finish, was still there when we left, was probably there for at least 15 more minutes... granted, that one was a long ballot, but that's why *I* had my sample ballot with me! ;)

However, mandating that one must be done in 3 minutes... come on. :blink:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Louisiana, Voting, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users