• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:27 PM

Where can I buy a microwave (online) with a non-removable turntable, or better yet, no turntable at all?

#2 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

Anybody?

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,228 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

Here you go.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

Um...thanks? :)

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

No problem.  I hope that's what you need.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

It would be if it had better reviews...and it was in stock.  Hence, the ?.

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,228 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

Ah, I didn't check either of those things.  Try this and this.

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

TBH, turntables are so common these days that it might be much cheaper to buy one with a turntable and lift the turntable out.

However,  since I realize that shopping (and returning) are an unusual hassle for you, you may want to call some local appliance shops. Most manufacturers won't advertise "no turntable" online because they consider it a minus. You'll mostly find those models listed under "Compact microwave oven" as opposed to "countertop microwave oven". Commercial ovens also often don't have rotating turntables (as RJD noted) but they are often much pricier

Try looking up replacement trays first and then pick a microwave model that uses a hubless tray. If it's a rectangular tray, you know it doesn't rotate (alas, Amazon doesn't stock many rectangular replacement trays, because ppl don't replace them when they break; they just use ordinary plates instead)=)

The turntable is almost always a glass platter sitting on a plastic roller. Sometimes the plastic roller engages the hub, and sometimes the glass plate does. The question is: is the motor hub an "innie" or an "outie" -- i.e. does the motor hub stick up from the 'floor' or does the roller stick into a hole in the 'floor'), you can use it in EITHER type, and you're golden, once you lift out the existing glass tray/roller (they lift right out)

If the replacement glass platter has (usu 3) nubs at the center of its bottom side, then the motor hub is likely to stick out of the "floor" of the microwave chamber, and even if the hub is plastic, I wouldn't suggest you try to remove it. I've done this, to use microwaves for Evil Science purposes, but it's sometimes a hassle and may leave a metal nub anyway.

Look for replacement platters that are flat/featureless at the center. Since the tray doesn't have anything for the motor to grab, you know that the corresponding models grab/turn the plastic roller. Lift out the roller (which, again, comes right out by hand) and the glass tray becomes a non-rotating base.

#9 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

I finally manage to take a pic of my microwave's interior with the platter in place:

My Microwave Interior.jpg

The problem is that every time I'd slide my plate in/out of the box, the platter would pop off the hub, and getting it back in place without moving the roller ring is impossible for me.  

In retrospect, I shouldn't have told my dad I needed a new one.  Then he wouldn't have bought me one without my knowledge, and I could take time to do some research to find exactly what I need.

I'm currently using my box without the platter or ring.

Edited by Mooky, 27 February 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Oh that's definitely a pain for *everyone*.

In the microwave you have now, the central plastic hub may be removable (it's the closed-end type). If you can do that, then you may be able to use the glass tray without the roller ring. It's worth a try. Closed-end hubs often stick down into the motor hub, rather than having a motor axle that reaches up (this makes it easier to seal against liquid/microwave leaks)

If the motor's axle does stick "up" in your case, you should be able to easily restore the central hub and be right back where you started

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users