Supergirl DC CBS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image

Supergirl does battle with the deadly Master Jailer (Jeff Branson), who is hunting and executing escaped Fort Rozz prisoners. Also, Cat hires a second assistant, Siobhan Smythe (Italia Ricci), who immediately tries to one-up Kara, and Kara and James disagree over the DEO's methods.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:43 AM

I really liked this episode. I think it did a lot of things right, and it moved the main threat forward while also giving a valid reason for why Non isn't immediately attacking Supergirl.

Jimmy bringing up the DEO's illegal incarceration of Maxwell Lord and pressing Supergirl to do the right thing was exactly what I wanted to hear. Yes, Max is a huge threat but Supergirl and the DEO are just proving all of his fears. He's afraid of aliens being unaccountable for their actions and of a government that can do anything it wants when it comes to private citizens. While I think letting him go in the long run will probably be a mistake, it's what needs to happen. At least Alex is blackmailing him with all of the evidence they've collected to keep his silence.

Cat hiring another assistant, pronouncing her extremely hard to say name right, and calling her assistant number 1 is funny, sad, and something that had to happen after the last few episodes. Kara dumping Adam, missing work, and J'onn's bad Kara impersonation really soured Cat on Kara. Bringing in Siobhan to effectively take over Kara's position is just the sort of cold blooded move she would do. Knowing who Siobhan eventually becomes just makes this all the better.

I only know Master Jailer from the Superman: Ending Battle graphic novel where he's depicted far differently from here. Still, he made a good foe for Supergirl, especially since she was going through a moral crisis of her own and believing that the ends justify the means when it came to locking up Max and doing what she had to do to protect her friends and family. The fact that he worked as a guard in Fort Rozz and believed he was following is Alura's grand justice footsteps just made it all the better.

The fight between Supergirl and Master Jailer was pretty awesome, with his chains whipping all around. His costume was pretty cool as well. I do hope he makes a return appearance.

The talk between Jimmy and Cat was really well done. Her speech about knowing about an actor abusing his wife, covering it up, and then the actor killing his wife three months later was pretty chilling. It might explain why Cat does try to find the good in the news and why she tries to make the city more positive.

Okay, Jimmy's asking for a lot wanting to be able to tell Lucy that Kara is Supergirl. Kara barely knows Lucy and probably doesn't fully trust her yet. It wasn't that long ago that Lucy was working for her xenophobic father and building an android for the purpose of taking down Kryptonians. Besides, the real problem is that Jimmy and Kara have feelings for one another, and that's not going away just because Lucy finds out that Kara is Supergirl.

Supergirl letting the former prisoner go at the end raises some questions. Surely not all of the Fort Rozz prisoners are murderers and terrorists. Some are probably small time criminals. Will the DEO ever let any of the alien prisoners go? If they've assimilated into human society like this man will they leave them alone?

Astra's funeral was pretty moving. I do like that they're still doing some Kryptonian world building by including the funeral rites and letting us know that Kryptonians take two weeks to help the deceased pass through the light.

Okay, Alex and J'onn really need to let Kara know the truth. Sure, she might be mad in the short term but if she knows that Astra was about to kill J'onn, then she'll know that Astra wasn't as ready to come over to the side of the good guys as she believes. Right now she just thinks J'onn up and killed Astra because he could.

If a sentient hologram is forbidden about talking about Myriad and threatens to delete itself, just how bad is it?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 24 February 2016 - 12:43 AM, said:

If a sentient hologram is forbidden about talking about Myriad and threatens to delete itself, just how bad is it?

That's what I was wondering. Along with the question of: Well, if Myriad is SO bad, why would they even program an AI with the information on it to begin with? The AI didn't say Kara didn't have authority to access Myriad, it said She, the AI, couldn't. So why program the AI with the information to begin with?

Loved Cat's story about the abusive actor to Jimmy, it sheds more light on what makes Cat tick. And Cat hiring another assistant....priceless.

Liked the Battle between Supergirl and Master jailer. And I absolutely LOVED the Lobo hint. So hoping we get to see Lobo show up.

What Jimmy said to Kara about Justice, and how holding Maxwell Lord indefinitely was wrong, did need to be said. I was just hoping Kara would've been the one saying it to her sister and J'onn.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CBS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users