#1 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

Episode 20: Brother

With their official mission (bringing Kudelia to Earth) fulfilled, Tekkadan now has to re-evaluate exactly where they stand, and what they're willing to risk.

Spoiler
I've been worried for a while about a falling-out between Biscuit and Orga; of all of them, Biscuit has the most connections outside the Tekkadan "family," so its natural that his priorities would be different. Thankfully, it looks like it'll be resolved quickly thanks to the revolutionary idea of people actually talking to each other (unlike in every American TV series EVER).

It looks like that long-awaited betrayal between Tekkadan and Teiwaz is coming sooner rather than later, and I honestly don't know which way Turbines will fall. Naze's reassurances and questions to Orga could be a test of Orga's loyalty --or a harbinger of Naze throwing his full support behind his "brother." Naze's loyalties pull in three directions (Barriston, Orga, and his own family), and with three of his wives in the line of fire, there's no telling if he'll support Orga's dangerous plan.

It was interesting to see Tekkadan's reactions to Earth, and how much more "worldly" the Turbines crew are, whether simply due to age or by virtue of Naze's "upper crust" lifestyle. Probably the latter, since fish are obviously being eaten on Mars by the likes of Kudelia's father (either imported from Earth or farmed in specialized facilities).

And the moon does indeed look very different; it doesn't seem to be a smooth sphere anymore. Most of the surface was probably blasted away during the Calamity War.

Also interesting to get more details on Gjallarhorn's stance toward human augmentation; it makes sense that Gjallarhorn would consider "purity" to be so important, given their narrative of Earth's racial superiority. We've already seen Ein's reaction to being called "inhuman," and it seems like this is the first time that Gaelio has really considered the issue.

I hadn't even realized that Nadi was a cyborg --even beyond the Alaya-Vijnana system, such things are obviously normalized in the Outer Spheres. This is the second time he's referred to the Calamity War as if it has direct bearing on him; just how old is he?
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

Out of curiousity, Cybersnark, how are you managing to catch this series?  Is it on cable, somewhere?  and do you have any idea whether it will get a US DVD release?  Because, this series really does sound good.

BTW, thank you for continuing to post your reviews of the episodes.  I know how difficult it can be to do so despite the lack of feedback, but it is appreciated, by me if no one else.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

I'm watching them on Daisuki, though they're also available on Crunchyroll and possibly Hulu in the US.

Writing these started out as a way to write something other than interdepartmental form-memos, but it also ended up being a helpful excercise to see how episodes break down --it has a very different feel from how American TV needs to front-load all the worldbuilding and big visuals (because American show-runners can never be sure if their series will continue long enough to get to the payoff).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, mecha, military science fiction

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users