• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#21 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 03 March 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

For me, one of the biggest reason for voting Trump, even after his ban muslims comment, was when Al Sharpton said he would leave the USA if Trump was elected. THAT is more then enough reason to vote trump, to get that race baiter out of the country.

Are you kidding me?  You'd help elect Trump believing that Sharpton would leave the US?  How logical of you.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:09 AM

#23 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

"He speaks his mind, but his mind isn't right"--Classic response

Source:

#24 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

This article is an absolute must read.

http://www.salon.com...ent_in_america/

If we historicize Trump in such a way, his rallies become much easier to read.  For Trump’s supporters, the pushing and shoving, and even the outright violence, against protesters, and the menacingly carnivalesque atmosphere are, to an extent, an end in itself. Just observe how groups at Trump rallies spontaneously come together to roughen up a protester.  The sheer emotional intensity of their facial expressions shows us precisely why they support Trump and why no policy proposal from any of his competitors can ever come close to diminishing Trump in his supporters’ eyes.  Violence is electrifying and community building as much as it is devastating for those on the receiving end.  Action over politics.

Source:

#25 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

And another really good editorial....http://www.huffingto..._b_9432778.html

But once we settle on this axiom -- no god-powers to Donald Trump, ever -- the fact remains that even if he were to become president the world will remain much larger and more inscrutable than someone like Donald Trump (whose truly unhandsome reflection consumes his entire universe) can even fractionally comprehend.

Obviously we give the president god-powers. And obviously Donald Trump is one of the last people in the world with whom we can trust those god-powers. So the 2016 presidential election matters. By all means, vote. Please vote your pocket book or your portfolio or your children. And please do not vote for Donald Trump. Because he is probably insane. And will not be good for the United States. Or the world. Or you.But do not imagine that Donald Trump himself matters in our lives, or can fundamentally change the arc of our lives, to any degree that approximates the tectonic impact of demographics, technology, and nature, in the United States and throughout the world. Donald Trump may be the hairy, pustulating, metastasizing mole on our backs, and he may frighten us, and he could kill us, but he ultimately has little meaning beyond his own hairy, pustulating, self-referential moley self. So if you must do something tactical, invest in mole-removal technology. Orkin perhaps! That is my advice if we elect Donald Trump president.

Source:

#26 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

http://www.vox.com/p...ogy-of-violence

And this is why Trump is something different and more dangerous in American life. He is a man with an evident appetite for suppressing dissent with violence, a man who believes America's problem is that it's too gentle to its dissidents. Trump is making an argument for a politics backed by force, for a security service unleashed from "political correctness," for a country where protesting has consequences. The results are playing out before us, night after night, on our televisions.

If Trump wins and this country goes down a dark path, we will never be able to say we didn't see it coming. We will never be able to say we weren't warned.

Source:

#27 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

http://nymag.com/dai...-democracy.html

My previous view of Trump was as a kind of vaccine. The Republican Party relies on the covert mobilization of racial resentment and nationalism. Trump, as I saw it, was bringing into the open that which had been intentionally submerged. It seemed like a containable dose of disease, too small to take over its host, but large enough to set off a counter-reaction of healthy blood cells. But the outbreak of violence this weekend suggests the disease may be spreading far wider than I believed, and infecting healthy elements of the body politic.

I remain convinced that Trump cannot win the presidency. But what I failed to account for was the possibility that his authoritarian style could degrade American politics even in defeat. There is a whiff in the air of the notion that the election will be settled in the streets — a poisonous idea that is unsafe in even the smallest doses.

Source:

#28 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

This is a wonderful and thoughtful article from the Wall Street Journal about how the conservative movement survives going forward.

http://www.wsj.com/a...2NjE0MDYxNzA5Wj

The best hope for what’s left of a serious conservative movement in America is the election in November of a Democratic president, held in check by a Republican Congress. Conservatives can survive liberal administrations, especially those whose predictable failures lead to healthy restorations—think Carter, then Reagan. What isn’t survivable is a Republican president who is part Know Nothing, part Smoot-Hawley and part John Birch. The stain of a Trump administration would cripple the conservative cause for a generation.

This is the reality that wavering Republicans need to understand before casting their lot with a presumptive nominee they abhor only slightly less than his likely opponent. If the next presidency is going to be a disaster, why should the GOP want to own it?

Source:

#29 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Woke up this morning and turned on the TV, found there was nothing on so I turned to CNN to see if they had a round up or any insights into the election, post last night's West Virginia/Nebraska primaries. What they did have was pretty much a representation of CNN's typical hard hitting news coverage. It was a round table of CNN talking heads in little boxes like back on the Brady Bunch, sparring, then acquiescing to the wisdom of Tana Goertz, a former runner up on The Apprentice, Season 3. She was telling America why none of Trump's supporters give a whit about his unreleased tax returns...because we know he's rich, that's no secret.

Like I said, there was nothing on.

yadda

Edited by yadda yadd a, 11 May 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#30 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

Donald Trump on Good Morning America to interviewer George Stephanopolous when questioned about his effective tax rate, ..."it's none of your business!" and qualified that with "I try very hard to pay as little tax as possible". Now there's a real American patriot for you. Give me liberty or give me death, but make sure my accountants can take full advantage of all deductions and loopholes!

Trump says he can't provide his tax returns because he's being audited, though the IRS says there's no issue or restriction on him releasing returns, and when Nixon was President he released his tax returns while being audited to bolster his famous "I am not a crook!" public assurance. Crook or not, on Nixon's three year taxable income '70-'72, of $790 thousand, he paid a total of $6K in federal tax, an effective rate of 0.8%. The IRS docked him for an additional $435K in unpaid tax and penalties after the audit was completed.

Even assuming Trump has reason to delay release of his current return (besides general deception and hiding embarrassing financial secrets)  because of being audited, why can't he release some/all of his previous year's tax returns, the one's he says have been audited each year since 2002? Most or all of those should be completely IRS audited by now, wouldn't one think?  Though I do realize it's none of my business. Any more than Donald Trump has any business being considered as President of the United States of America.

yadda

#31 Chakoteya

Chakoteya

Playing Devil's Advocate

• Islander
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

Why are you surprised that a large proportion of the electorate like a blustering bully? Just look beyond your borders to see the evidence.
Russia, Turkey, Zimbabwe.... you'll be in excellent company.

Just pray the rest of the GOP movers and shakers manage to rein him in before November - or that Congress and the Representatives manage to neuter him like they usually do to the incumbent. (Shakes head at the pointlessness of having a political Head of State that doesn't derive from the political majority in the other houses.....)
Andromeda, Star Trek (all shows) and Doctor Who franchise episode transcripts.

Just because I didn't post a reply doesn't mean I wasn't tempted to.

#32 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

View PostChakoteya, on 14 May 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

(Shakes head at the pointlessness of having a political Head of State that doesn't derive from the political majority in the other houses.....)

I must say I tend to agree with you.
Cats will never be extinct!

#33 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

For those who weren't able to catch the Rachel Maddow show last night (5-13), hopefully this link will help bring into focus the details of the Washington Post article going around since yesterday about Trump masquerading as his own press agent back in the early 90's. Maddow's account goes on for 26 minutes as she likes to paint a situation in painstaking detail, but the pertinent, entertaining, and truly scary revelations about the bizarrely egomaniacal and narcissistic actions of the presumptive Republican nominee start at about the 13 minute mark.

https://www.msnbc.co...hel-maddow-show

To summarize, back in the early 90's Donald Trump had a habit of calling the various New York newspapers and passing himself off as a persona named John Barron, supposedly a VP in Trump's organization, but actually Trump himself using a multiple handle, so to speak. As John Barron Trump would convey tidbits of gossip to desk reporters about himself, who Trump was partying with, the legions of women who desired Trump, insights on Trump's dealings and bragging about his incredible prowess, both business and social. It was kind of a running joke and common knowledge around the paper's news and gossip desks that this was Trump play acting as an alter ego.

Testifying in some court case back in that time, Trump admitted under oath that he was in fact the John Barron character, and that he had been known to use that name on occasion. Sometime after that apparently John Barron was put away in Trump's closet of imagination and then reincarnated as John Miller, who became a telephonic public relations employee of Trump. A reporter from People called the Trump offices and was connected to this John Miller, who she recognized as sounding just like Donald Trump, but continued the interview to glean information for an article. "Miller" answered questions at length and in depth to the reporter, Carswell, and though he claimed he'd only been hired in within the week had voluminous and intimate knowledge of Trump's affairs, his feelings for and strategies for dealing with his social life, juggling wife Ivana, and girlfriends Marla (eventual wife) and Carla, while also fending off advances from pop star Madonna.

The tape of this conversation between People reporter Carswell and Miller/Trump is the basis of the WaPo article. When questioned about the tape and his knowledge of Miller as an employee or to being Miller, Trump adamantly denied it being him, saying it wasn't his voice, nor was it him on the tape. He added that a lot of people are imitating his voice nowadays so it was likely a scam like that. When later asked by WaPo during a telephone interview about his financials whether he was aware of a John Miller ever being in his employ, the phone went silent, then dead, and after a call back a secretary said "you must have been disconnected. I don't know where he (Trump) is."

The kicker on all this is that Trump apologized to People magazine and admitted back in '91 that he had masqueraded as Miller, the PR guy. He described it as a "joke gone awry". They did a followup article on the bizarre circumstance back then, with his apology. But today he categorically and angrily dismisses the possibility that the voice on the tape was his. What are we, the electorate to make of that? Do we have to be concerned that if elected that we might see a John Barron or John Miller put forth as a Supreme Court nominee, calling in to his confirmation hearings and serving on the court through telephonic conference, then rendering decisions and opinions via Sprint or ATT? I guess that would be at least as much or more input than we get from Clarence Thomas.

Will White House press conferences and statements be delivered by President Trump's new Press Secretary John Miller, dressed up in a wig, wearing Groucho glasses and mustache? Will John Miller be calling Vladimir Putin on the red phone, filling him in with a blow-by-blow recounting of President Trump's White House trysts with his harem of courtesans, trying to make Putin feel inadequate and humbled by comparison to advance our nation's security concerns?

And if you get a chance check out last night's 'Late Night with Stephen Colbert' opening bit, too. He did a much better job of laying out the ridiculousness and batsh!t craziness of this Republican Presidential nominee than I ever could.

yadda

Edited by yadda yadda, 14 May 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#34 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

Food for thought that hopefully won't come back up at lunchtime. Trump has a whole gaggle of unqualified hacks he could be considering for his Veep short list. Chris Christie, possible unindicted co-conspirator in Bridgegate. Rick "Oops" Perry, owner of Ni**erhead Ranch who can't count to three. Brain surgeon Ben Carson, equal opportunity stabber with scalpel or kitchen knife. Perhaps David Duke could enhance his Southern strategy, even though Trump once disavowed him then claimed later that he didn't know who he is. But then Trump has already flip-flopped on virtually all of his other core positions/suggestions since being anointed presumptive nominee. Maybe trusted confidante Omarosa, from The Apprentice? Ted Nugent, the rocker with a machine gun, whose hatred for Hillary is well documented?

All possibilities to be sure, but I'm putting my money on that he'll pick Sarah Palin who already has considerable VP nominee bonafides and experience. And in Trump's hare-brained mind and with his penchant for the dramatic I'm thinking he 'll feel he can wipe out that deficit with women all in one fell swoop from the Great North. And if she's the least bit hesitant, as in not wanting to go through the embarrassment grinder again, Trump could offer her the pick of Melania's hand me down wardrobe as a deal clincher. #Trump/Palin...here's to a Wall keepin' out all them aliens!

yadda

#35 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

In light of the news today about the Egyptian Air jet that has disappeared, perhaps  due to ISIS terrorism, perhaps some other cause, a thought rises from the medium depth of my brain, something I've been trying hard to disregard or minimize. But the fact remains, we might be one or two September/October terrorist surprises from being tilted into a Trump presidency. Look at the enormous incalculable effect upon American society, political purpose, and our national psyche by al Qaeda's hijacking of a few airliners and ramming them into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Our natural national reaction was then seized upon, amplified, and manipulated into misguided military adventurism of horrific cost and continuing and metastasizing foreign entanglement and conflict. If you take a step back and look at the last decade's unfolding of events objectively, you'd almost have to credit Osama Bin Laden and his cadre with wildly successful accomplishment of his jihadist goals of political and economic disruption to the Western world. His actions have triggered a reciprocal reaction that have put America into a desperate defensive stance, against an enemy hard to locate and many headed, like the hard to kill ancient Hydra of Greek lore.

Are ISIS and other terrorist actors poised to ignite a catalyst intended to help elect Trump, an individual who could keep America on an unsteady and unwise course, thus hastening their goal of destruction of our nation's will and spirit and signalling an eventual hoped for Armageddon? Are they that smart and calculating? I hope and pray not, but I find the possibility disquieting and disturbing

yadda.

#36 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

This Op-Ed article from the Washington Post succinctly lays out the argument for and absolute imperative of defeating and denying  Donald Trump's campaign to be elected president.  

https://www.washingt...33e7_story.html

yadda

(sorry, couldn't get link to work. It was truly worthwhile, by Robert Kagan about how fascism comes to America)

Edited by yadda yadda, 22 May 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#37 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

^ I tried removing all the numbers after the date.  No idea why that worked, but here it is:

SFG :cool:

edit: ok, I can read the article, but it won't link or me either. :oh:  I'll try again.

- Edit 2: google fixed it! :D

(Edit 3: I compared the links side by side, and it seems you missed a "3" near the end when you typed it. ;)  There are three 3s in a row, not two.  :hehe:  

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 May 2016 - 08:53 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   dragon scholar - 3a49cd1bf6bfb7033fbc9b54d7fddf56.gif

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#38 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Oh and, interesting article!  

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   dragon scholar - 3a49cd1bf6bfb7033fbc9b54d7fddf56.gif

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#39 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 22 May 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

^ I tried removing all the numbers after the date.  No idea why that worked, but here it is:

SFG :cool:

edit: ok, I can read the article, but it won't link or me either. :oh:  I'll try again.

- Edit 2: google fixed it! :D

(Edit 3: I compared the links side by side, and it seems you missed a "3" near the end when you typed it. ;)  There are three 3s in a row, not two.  :hehe:  

Thanks SFG, I guess I've really got to learn how to copy and paste links or whatever you call it. Right now, the only thing I can do with links are type them out by hand (successful about 50% of the time, especially when they're super long) and cook 'em up on the BBQ grill.

#40 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Ya know, it's kinda funny that I haven't seen Donald Trump's ruddy marmalade face on the Sunday political shows the last two weeks, not even a call in appearance. Coincidental that his absence has been since the revelation of him being John Miller? So sad that he's gone from the public arena now that so many folks are interested in his tax returns. You'd think someone of Trump's means could hire someone to come on and handle his PR issues. Someone who could be his mouthpiece, a surrogate who knows him intimately and is willing to talk up Trump's brash and braggadocious worldview. John Miller, where are you? Inquiring minds want to know.

yadda

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 primaries, Trump

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users