Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvels Agents of SHIELD Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

Coulson and Gen. Talbot suspect Malick of having an inside man at the worldwide symposium on Inhumans; the team discovers a traitor.

Tune in tonight to ABC, True Believers, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central!

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,343 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

I wonder if this is finally going to be the end of Ward. Will the alien possess Malick's sidekick and leave Ward's corpse to crumble?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

^^^ Out of curiosity, is it Ward's character, or the actor, who rubs you the wrong way?

Anyhoo, an interesting tidbit is that Hive is unable to inhabit Inhumans.  I wonder if it also finds them indigestible.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 16 March 2016 - 10:20 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

I haven't seen the episode but I doubt that the actor is going anywhere. Wasn't the whole point of turning him into Hive to make better use of what Brett Dalton brings to the table? To unshackle an excellent actor from kind of a one-note character that had run its course?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

So, apparently Creel's (aka Absorbing Man) blood is capable of counteracting the effects of Terrigen Crystals/Mist, prior to Terrigenesis.  Whether this is a good thing seems to be the central question.

World leaders have gathered to discuss what to do with the Inhumans.  Some see them as a threat, others as a disease to be cured, and still others as weapons to be hoarded.  The vote to provide a "sanctuary" for them, is rather deceptively innocent sounding solution, especially in light of Gulags/Concentration Camps or even Reservations as those AmerInds live on.  Who would control the borders?  Would residence be voluntary, or mandatory, for those identified Inhumans?

Meanwhile, back at HQ Daisy and Lincoln (I'm still not feeling the chemistry) are debating whether Terrigenesis is a good thing.  Is this a birthright that should not be denied to anyone, or is this some kind of curse that must be carefully regulated and control.  Given that one doesn't know what the results of Terrigenesis will be until after the event, one can hardly give informed consent as to whether they want the vaccine.  Likewise, if National Governments, or Private Corporations, wish to create an Inhuman Corps ... will they be as selective about candidates as Daisy's mom was, or will they accept anybody who has the potential?

Talk about a mess.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,343 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

^^  This is why anti-mutant stories have always been an imperfect metaphor for real-life bigotry.

View PostG-man, on 16 March 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

^^^ Out of curiosity, is it Ward's character, or the actor, who rubs you the wrong way?  
Oh, the actor is fine. I kind of feel bad for him.  I liked the character in the beginning. The idea of a lone-wolf, James Bond-type guy having to adjust to working on a team was interesting to me.  Then his big coming out as the HYDRA mole was just awkward and forced, and he was a big zero after that. His whole storyline has just meandered, as if they had never given any thought about what to do with him after the HYDRA thing.

View PostBklnScott, on 16 March 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

I haven't seen the episode but I doubt that the actor is going anywhere. Wasn't the whole point of turning him into Hive to make better use of what Brett Dalton brings to the table? To unshackle an excellent actor from kind of a one-note character that had run its course?  
Beats me.  I haven't heard anything about it.  I imagine they must have been keeping him around for a reason.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:05 AM

The original James Bond was a bigoted, scarred human being, so far from the glamorous Bond of  the films that it would be a crippled soul indeed who would want to be like him. While I do admit that it was sad to see the super-spy of the series premiere revealed as a scarred soul driven by his demons (or the demon of another planet), I can accept it

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,343 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I've only read the first Bond novel, although I have them all-- it was a rather unpleasant experience. Ward was more the movie Bond or Napoleon Solo or somebody like that-- I guess their intent was to subvert the archetype rather than evolve it, but I think they failed. Like I said, I found it to be very awkward and forced.

So, speaking of Ward:  That was gross.  :yucky:  :lol:

Good episode, though. It's good to have Talbot back. I love the dynamic between him and Coulson. When he betrayed Coulson, I thought he had some plan to disrupt the vote or something, so I was disappointed that he was being coerced by Malick. It doesn't seem like him to just go along naively with something like that and then cry when Malick broke the terms. I hope he's right about Creel, though. It would be nice to see somebody reformed and to have Talbot responsible for it.

I got a kick out of Hunter sneaking in the weapons. Bobbie says, "I love you," and May says, "I hate you a little less."  :lol:

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

I do agree that they've dragged Ward's tale on for far too long. It's unpleasant to see a hero be unheroic for whatever reason -- doubting their ideals, being subverted through a weakness, plunged into self-destructive guilt/betrayal over a real/perceived mistake/choice -- the literature (and SHIELD) is rich with variants. While one might argue that such themes are essential to an ongoing drama, Ward's various betrayals have been dragging out since the end of S1 -- and frankly it feels like a lot longer than two seasons.

I say "various betrayals" because it seems to me that Ward has gone through various phases that are only loosely stitched together. They feel different. The psychology of each is different. They should logically lead in different directions. To me, there is no one Ward. It's so bad that his stated motivation for killing Rosalind (so Coulson could know the pain of watching someone he loved die in his arms), among the most understandable/moving revenge themes in literature, actually rang false to me -- amid all this other "motivations" over time. It might be a perfectly valid reason for anyone else, but not for Ward, and especially not since Agent 33 was pretty much a months-long rebound relationship after Skye terminally rebuffed him.

I doubt any psychologist could weave a coherent schema that would explain his various reactions. The character of Ward isn't just a mess, he's several messes.

I think the writers realized that Ward would never have a compelling narrative as a itinerant Major Henchman. So now Ward is dead. That story is (mercifully) completely ended, make no mistake (and they better NOT make the mistake of saying any part of him lives on).  As far as I am concerned, the Ancient Nemesis is simply inhabiting the corpse of a dead soldier on the rescue team, whose identity is irrelevant. I deeply hope they don't make an issue of it again by having him pass as Ward among Ward's old contacts or *choke*puke* some moment of misguided sympathy by one of Our Agents or *mustkill*badwritermustdie* some horrible SF trope invoking "some trace of Ward that remains deep inside".

#10 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

To be fair, the response of most of SHIELD to there being some trace of Grant Ward still in there would be to empty a clip into him.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,343 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

True.  At one point, I was expecting it to come to the point of a last-minute redemption for Ward as he dies in Daisy's arms or something. I'm glad that didn't happen. But there still lingers the possibility of Ward still being in there, seeing the face of true evil in Hive, realizing how wrong he's been, and defeating Hive from within.  I hope not. But I hope the actor can make something of this new character. Maybe I should say I hope the writers can.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvels Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users