Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Superman Batman Wonder Woman DC

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

I watched the extended edition of Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice and I have to say that it is a better film than what was in theaters. It doesn’t fix all the problems (at a little over 3 hours it’s an even more bloated movie) but I found myself liking it a lot more watching it a second time. I’m not sure if that’s due to the extra material, or if I was able to appreciate the movie more now since I wasn’t worried about how it would portray Superman compared to Batman, or maybe it’s because I wasn’t worried about how this would set-up the rest of the DC cinematic universe. I don’t know. I just found myself appreciating the film a lot more. Reading my initial review, I find myself not having a problem with a lot of what I initially disliked about the film.

There are still things I don’t think are needed (the Knightmare sequence, while being cool, is completely unnecessary especially since in a new scene at the end we see a quick glimpse of Steppenwolf in the Kryptonian ship which sets up the eventual threat of Darkseid) and I still think the fight between Superman and Batman is way too one sided and over too quickly considering the movie built up to it for over two hours. It’s still too dark and acts like levity is some kind of sexually transmitted disease to be avoided at all costs. Superman is still too brooding and almost never cracks a smile.

Most of the new material is Clark and Lois related, which I was happy with. On the Clark front, it gives us more understanding into why he’s going after Batman. Yes, we know he thinks Batman is a brutal vigilante, but here it’s explained way better. Clark does some investigative reporting (I love that the film remembers that Clark is a reporter and so can actually figure things out on his own) and learns about Batman and his harsh methods, including the brand he gives criminals that is an automatic death sentence. In fact, Clark comes face to face with the girlfriend and young son of a criminal killed in jail because he was branded. It puts a human face to Batman’s decision to basically be judge and executioner and it’s this moment when Clark sees a woman now having to raise a fatherless child that sends him out to destroy the Batmobile.

I also appreciated just seeing more of Clark in his Daily Planet persona. There wasn’t a lot of that in the theatrical cut. He gets a few more scenes with Lois and even an extra scene where he calls Martha.

Oh, and we see him rescuing people (well one person but it’s implied he’s rescued more) after the Capitol Hill bombing. He doesn’t just fly off into the sky after the blast. I hated that because it seemed so un-Superman like. I’m glad to see that he did rescue people.

Lois gets a lot of new scenes which shows just shy she’s a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. There’s a lot more to her investigation into who is framing Superman and why. She also uncovers that the bomb in the wheelchair was encased in lead, which is why Superman missed it. That was something else I had a problem with in the theatrical cut: the notion that Superman didn’t see the bomb because he didn’t want to.

Lex’s plan is revealed to be more intricate here and while it makes his plan way more convoluted it helps to fix some problems. The first is why everyone was blaming Superman for the deaths in Africa when they were shot. It turns out that Luthor’s men burned all the bodies to make it look like Superman used his heat vision. Luthor then bribed/threatened the woman who testified against Superman to the committee. She eventually has a change of heart and tells the Senator the truth but she gets killed later on. That adds a layer to why Lex bombed the hearing because he knew the Senator knew the truth now. It wasn’t just to turn the world against Superman.

It’s also revealed that Superman destroyed another drone that had just launched a missile to wipe out the warlord’s compound even though Lois was in there. That’s another reason the committee was formed.

All the new scenes do help the first part of the movie flow better and they help strengthen the reasons why Superman and Batman are fighting. I don’t think it’s enough to win over people who hated the movie, but who knows?

I did find that Jesse Eisenberg’s take on Lex worked better for me the second time around. I still think there’s room for improvement in his portrayal but I think he’s on the right path.

Also, when Batman confronts Lex in prison at the end, Lex does bring up the fact that he could expose Batman’s real identity. However, he says that no one will believe him because he’s going for an insanity defense so he won’t have to go to trial and so he can be put up at an expensive, comfy institution. Batman disabuses him of that notion real quick, saying that he used his connections to make sure that Lex will be placed in Arkham.

Like I said, I found myself liking the movie a lot more. It’s not perfect but there are moments of greatness in here and some well shot scenes and action set pieces. I still got a little choked up by Superman’s death and the funeral scenes. I like the idea that even though Lex was trying to tear Superman down and turn the world against him and show that Superman isn’t the great man he claims to be that in the end Superman rises above all that and gives his life to protect the world. He sets an example for everyone to live by. I like that, where the monument used to be, there’s now a plaque that reads something like: “To see my monument simply look at those around you.” He even inspires Batman to be a better person at the end of the movie.

The themes just seemed more present this time around. It’s funny. I remember several reviews saying that down the line people will look at this movie and judge it better and I didn’t think that to be the case. Now though, having watched it a second time and liking it more, those reviewers seem to be speaking the truth.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#22 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

Favorite new thing in the Ultimate editiion - "I thought she was with you" has WHOLE different meaning to me.  Now - of course I may be misremembering (good job there sussing out the differences between the two films) so I'll have to watch the theatrical release again, but I don't recall Superman speaking to Wonder Woman once.  His line "Is she with you?"  was, in theatrical release, a genuine question - where'd this chick come from?

In the Ultimate edition - its a JOKE  Wait, what?  Superman cracks a joke?  Ok maybe that's just how I saw it, but I actually snorted with laughter - perfect set up.

"He's an alien"
WW: "I've killed aliens before."
Supes to Batman: "She with you?"

HA!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#23 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:23 PM

In the Ultimate edition - its a JOKE  Wait, what?  Superman cracks a joke?  Ok maybe that's just how I saw it, but I actually snorted with laughter - perfect set up.

"He's an alien"
WW: "I've killed aliens before."
Supes to Batman: "She with you?"

Good catch. I didn't even recognize that it was different from the theatrical version.

(good job there sussing out the differences between the two films)

Thanks. I'm surprised I remembered the movie as well as I did considering I only saw it once in theaters.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#24 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

I've watched the Ultimate Edition, and it does make the rest of the movie flow together more. But it still does leave a few things unanswered...Chief among them was how Superman knew exactly where Lois was, and that she was in danger. I thought the tracking device hidden in Jimmy's camera is what alerted him, but the Ultimate edition makes it clear that it was the CIA's.

I didn't notice just how fake those eggs Clark was cooking were, but when watching it on Blue Ray, the fake eggs are extremely obvious. LOL.

There was also a little more to the fight between Supes and Bats. Which was nice.

My favorite quote from the Ultimate Edition:

Lex Luthor: I don't know how to loose.
Superman: You'll learn.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users