Star Trek nuTrek Green Lantern DC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image

The Spectrum War is a comic book crossover between the nuTrek film universe and DC's Green Lantern characters (and various other Lantern Corps). I didn't exactly have high expectations for this miniseries but I was pleasantly surprised by how good this turned out to be and how much I came to love it. Writer Mike Johnson and artist Angel Hernandez did a great job of blending these two universes. Johnson is the regular writer of the Star Trek comics that fills in the gaps of the nuTrek universe and after reading this miniseries I'm going to definitely try out those comics.

The plot sees Nekron, basically the embodiment of death in the DCU, return again after the events of Blackest Night. This time he uses overwhelming force to win (along with killing the White Lantern Kyle Rayner who is the only one that can truly banish Nekron) to basically kill the entire DCU (or so I assume since only the Lantern Corps are shown and none of the other DC superheroes are mentioned) until only a few members of the various Corps are left. Green Lantern Guardian Ganthet uses the Last Light protocol which sends the remaining Lanterns into an alternate universe, which is how all the Lanterns find themselves in the Star Trek universe. The Enterprise comes across Ganthet's corpse (along with rings for all the Corps except for the Green Lantern Corps) and Scotty finds a way to activate the rings. The more or less good rings (Love, Compassion, and Hope) bond themselves to members of the Enterprise. Uhura becomes a Star Sapphire with the power of Love, Bones becomes a member of the Indigo tribe and gets the ring symbolizing compassion, while Chekov gets the Blue Lantern ring of hope. The Sinestro Corp ring finds its way to General Chang of the Klingons, while the red ring of rage bonds with a Gorn, and a Romulan gets the Orange ring of greed. Throw into this mix various Lantern members like Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris, Sinestro, Atrocitus, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster.

The mini-series has a lot to handle with a large cast plus introducing the various Lantern Corps and their different powers and emotions as well as the various species of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. To Johnson's credit he handles all of that rather well without dumping a ton of exposition on readers. He also doesn't wait too long to get all the Lanterns new and old into conflict with one another and the Federation. There's a huge space battle halfway through with the fear powered Klingons, greed powered Romulans, rage powered Gorn, a Federation fleet, Uhura, Chekov, and all the DC Lanterns and it's pretty glorious.

Johnson also gives all the characters moments to shine. Obviously Kirk, Spock, and Hal get the most spotlight because of who they are but all of the Enterprise crew get in on the action. Chekov is really the only one to use his new ring powers a lot and actually get into combat with it. Bones just seems annoyed with his new ring and is sidelined quite a bit with healing Saint Walker. The DC and Star Trek characters mesh well (or in the case of Kirk and Hal, don't mesh well) and Johnson captures all their voices rather well. No one truly feels out of character and their reactions to one another ring (no pun intended) true.

Nekron was a great threat to use because he is a threat to everyone in the universe and he's the one threat that the various Lanterns will team up to fight. Having lost to him in one universe they vow not to let him destroy this one. In a nice nod to the first reboot movie, Nekron chooses to resurrect Vulcan and all of its dead citizens (including Spock's mother) as his Black Lanterns.

Surprisingly, the comic ends with universe changing consequences. The DCU is dead and it remains that way. The Lanterns can't go back, so they have to integrate themselves into this new universe. The Federation examines the ring technology and create duplicates that they start handing out to all of their crews because it provides them with shield protection, a phaser like weapon, and the power of flight. Several Lanterns join the crew of the Enterprise. While Nekron is defeated, Sinestro, Larfleeze, and Atrocitus still remain to cause trouble. There's still plenty of story potential in this new shared universe that this miniseries created, and I would love to see a follow-up.

I genuinely enjoyed this comic book cross-over event. It's a fun comic that embraces what is best about both properties and gives readers a memorable adventure. If you're a fan of either Green Lantern or Star Trek I recommend checking it out.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

A rather cute crossover that I thought worked better than the Star Trek/X-Men crossovers of a few years back.

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

^I never read the Star Trek/X-Men comic book cross-over, but I did read the prose novel sequel that was released. I enjoyed it but they aren't two universes that really fit together well. I feel like the Green Lantern Corps. pairs better with Star Trek.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

A sequel series, "Star Trek/Green Lantern: Stranger Worlds" is now available.

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to track it down.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

I read the first one of these. It was entertaining while I read it, but afterward I realized I felt unsatisfied. It's all just setup and continuity-mixing, this character gets this ring and that character gets that ring, but there's no actual characterization to speak of. There's no explanation of how the characters react to becoming Lanterns, no personal stakes. It's superficially fun, but it's no deeper than mashing two sets of action figures together.

I liked the first ST/X-Men crossover the best, because that was actually about something. It delved into how the Starfleet future represented the achievement of the goals the X-Men strove for, a world without hate or persecution, and how it renewed their hope that their cause could succeed. It was a nicely optimistic message that fit very well with the core ideals of both franchises.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek, nuTrek, Green Lantern, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users