Supergirl DC CBS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

Posted Image

I felt that this was a pretty good episode. It was more of a calm before the storm episode than I had anticipated since it spent most of its run time setting up for the conclusion next episode.

What I like about Non's plan and Myriad is that it's not completely evil. Yes, Non has enslaved the entire population of National City and is going to expand that to the world soon but his intentions are noble. He's essentially creating peace on Earth and using the minds of the citizens to generate ideas on how to save the planet. Non, and before him Astra, do have good intentions but it's their willingness to go to extremes that make them villains.

Indigo, on the other hand, is evil through and through. She wants to use Myriad to turn Earth into her own private army and spread the mind control device throughout the universe. I'm glad Indigo is back because she is such a fun villain and there really aren't shades of grey with her like there are with Non and Maxwell Lord.

Okay, putting Alex in kryptonite armor and giving her the kryptonite sword she used to kill Astra and having her fight Supergirl was just awesome and so horrible. Alex of course has absolutely no control over her actions and will go for the kill while Supergirl will pull her punches. It's definitely a fight I'm excited to see.

The scene where Eliza questioned J'onn about his powers was a nice moment of levity and a good reminder that Eliza is a scientist so of course she would ask these questions.

I'm guessing the search for Jeremiah and the quest to infiltrate and take down Cadmus will be in season 2 (if we get a season 2. Fingers crossed).

Of course Max would have made technology that blocks the Myriad signal and use it to protect himself. Him sending earrings with the technology to save Cat a surprise. These two have only shared one scene together that I can recall. Sure they hinted at a romantic past but it's never really been a big factor on the show before.

I did like Cat being mind control free and helping Kara to see that using Max's plan to set off a kryptonite bomb that will kill the Kryptonians and thousands of humans wasn't the only viable option. Kara's speech to Max about how if she did use the bomb she'd truly become the thing he feared was inspired.

Kara's speech about how her mother made the wrong choice and how that led to the destruction of Krypton was pretty moving. Kara knows what it's like to lose a planet and knows how one wrong decision now can cause her to lose another one.

I do wish we had seen Cat express more fear for Carter. He lives with her in the city so you'd think she would want to make sure he was safe even if he was a zombie.

I thought the episode handled Superman pretty well. He was off Earth to begin with, and then affected by Myriad like the rest of the population. Sure the explanation that since he was raised on Earth from a baby means he has a more human brain than Kryptonian is a stretch but at least the writers addressed it. It would have been ridiculous if Superman hadn't responded to a crisis this big.

It sucks that Jimmy and Winn weren't in most of the episode. Still, their few scenes were effective in showing the complete control Myriad has over people if they'll jump to their deaths. Plus, having those two, Lucy, J'onn, and Alex either under Myriad's control or outside the city cut Kara off from most of her support structure and made her have to rely on Max for help.

Indigo doesn't play, does she? She put the beat down on J'onn pretty bad. I'm sure if he wasn't fighting Myriad and protecting Alex he would have put up a bigger fight. I did love him phasing through Indigo and slamming her to the ground.

Maxima wasn't in the episode anywhere near as much as I thought she would be. Still, it was a pretty impressive debut and she certainly gave Supergirl a run for her money. I hope she makes a return somewhere down the line.

Okay, I get that Supergirl destroyed the master controls in the DEO which prevented the mass release of all the detainees. What I'm wondering is what is stopping the agents from releasing the captives one by one like they did with Maxima? I guess it's possible Supergirl locked all the mind control agents up but we don't really know.

Like I said, this was an enjoyable episode and it did a good job of setting the stage for the season finale. I'm excited to see what Supergirl's plan is to break Myriad's control and what she plans to do with all the Kryptonians running around.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:24 AM

Unfortunately my logical thinking kicked in overtime this episode.I get where Non is coming from with Myriad, using the satellites to transmit the mind control. But, here's the problem. Satellites are on a orbit, so they would soon start affecting other cities as well. Not to mention the Earth itself rotates, so other areas should've been affected. And if their going to claim the satellites were stationary, then once they are moved, the affected areas should be unaffected. And then there is Myriad affecting Superman as well...uhm no. Either it's a signal that targets a specific biological being or not. There is no targeting the way a person thinks, or human thinking. That was just...don't even get me started.

OK, Alex's action here were incredibly stupid. She weakened J'onn, who had to waste most of his energy protecting her, when he could've been at full strength and helping Kara...but no, Alex had to come. Man, what is it about show's writers that they have people acting so stupidly lately?

Would love to know how the DEO, without Supergirl, captured Maxima in the first place?

Having the 3 people jump, with 2 of them being Kara's friend, made the 3rd girl the obvious and blatant red shirt, despite their attempts to have Kara try and interact with her. We've never, ever, seen Kara even notice her before, yet somehow because Kara said her name, she is suppose to be good friends with kara?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

The Harrison Ford lines from Cat were priceless!
Cats will never be extinct!

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 12 April 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

Unfortunately my logical thinking kicked in overtime this episode.I get where Non is coming from with Myriad, using the satellites to transmit the mind control. But, here's the problem. Satellites are on a orbit, so they would soon start affecting other cities as well. Not to mention the Earth itself rotates, so other areas should've been affected. And if their going to claim the satellites were stationary, then once they are moved, the affected areas should be unaffected. And then there is Myriad affecting Superman as well...uhm no. Either it's a signal that targets a specific biological being or not. There is no targeting the way a person thinks, or human thinking. That was just...don't even get me started.

Actually - satellites can be placed in geosynchronous orbit, so that they always have the same footprint (i;e., fixed over the same spot on earth).  http://www.space.com...nous-orbit.html And as to Superman, I read another fan's comment elsewhere pointing out that though it sounded lame on tv, that's only because we haven't had a lot of time to think about neuroplasticity.   So in other words, baby Superman, found on Earth, and learning Earth ways from infancy, has a very different brain that Pre-teen Supergirl, raised from birth on Krypton and learning Kryptonian language and ways.

OK, Alex's action here were incredibly stupid. She weakened J'onn, who had to waste most of his energy protecting her, when he could've been at full strength and helping Kara...but no, Alex had to come. Man, what is it about show's writers that they have people acting so stupidly lately?
QFT

Having the 3 people jump, with 2 of them being Kara's friend, made the 3rd girl the obvious and blatant red shirt, despite their attempts to have Kara try and interact with her. We've never, ever, seen Kara even notice her before, yet somehow because Kara said her name, she is suppose to be good friends with kara?

And given that she can almost keep up with the Flash, how come she couldn't save all three?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CBS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users