Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What Have You Streamed Recently (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

I figured since we had a thread about what DVDs we've watched and what books we've read we might as well have a thread about what we've streamed recently. It's possible we do have one already but I didn't find one when I searched but it's possible I missed it. Here's what I've been streaming lately:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 1
Fuller House Season 1
4th Man Out
Iron Man: Armored Adventures
UnReal
Worst Year of My Life, Again
Earth to Echo
Minions
Hotel Transylvania 2
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

Lately I streamed a couple of movies from an independent filmmaker named Joshua Kennedy.  He does retro homages. On YouTube, he's got Dracula 2015, which is a Hammer Films homage, and Airline '79, an homage to 70s disaster movies. These were good enough to make be buy up everything he has on DVD.  He's been making these things since he was 16 (he's in his early 20s now) just using his friends and convenient locations and it's really amazing to watch his progress.  The early ones are very primitive, of course, though incredibly entertaining, but the latest ones are up to the level of what guys like Chris Mihm produce.  This is definitely an Indie guy to keep an eye on.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

^It's cool that you can see his progress through his films. If he's as good as you say he could one day end up making some big Hollywood blockbusters like a lot of indie directors do.

I found a show on Netflix called Fried. It's a British comedy about a group of workers at a fried chicken fast food restaurant. It's pretty hilarious though really short. There are only six episodes and as far as I can tell no more seasons were made nor are there any plans to make any more which is sad.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

I wish guys like Josh Kennedy and Chris Mihm all the success in the world, but I kind of hope they never go anywhere near Hollywood.  :lol:

Incidentally, since that last post, I got his latest movie, Night of the Medusa, on DVD. It's an homage to The Gorgon, his favorite Hammer film. As an extra, it also includes one of his older college films, Slave Girls on the Moon. I think I've now seen everything he ever released.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 14 June 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

I found a show on Netflix called Fried. It's a British comedy about a group of workers at a fried chicken fast food restaurant. It's pretty hilarious though really short. There are only six episodes and as far as I can tell no more seasons were made nor are there any plans to make any more which is sad.  
It's a shame when things end prematurely like that.  Just last year, I think, I found a cheap DVD of a show called Space Rangers that I had never heard of, so I bought it.  Like your show, it only had six episodes, but it was an hour-long Space Opera.  It was great. Great cast, great stories, great setting. It would have made a fantastic series.  I'm thinking there was a marketing failure, because I never even was aware of it when it was on the air.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

I've heard of Space Rangers and have meant to check it out. I might have to one day.

I decided to check out the new Voltron on Amazon. I've watched the first episode so far. It was pretty good.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

^ I just watched the first Voltron this weekend, too.   It seemed entertaining, and I'd probably watch more if I had Netflix streaming at home.  (It was watched as part of an anime (and anime-esque) viewing party with some friends.)  I hope they're gotten the "funny" vomit schtick out of their system.  The one thing that kinda bugged me was how the princess goes to great pains to explain how the lions choose their pilots... and then proceeds to give out assignments to the dudes who happen to be conveniently available with no question that the lions might reject them beyond the one temperamental one.  It might not have stood out as much, but it was the second show of the evening to have that sort of weirdly unnecessary "chosen" vs. "assigned" bait-and-switch, so it maybe stuck in my craw more than it should have.

The other show was RWBY, which is a really fun and surprisingly dramatic little show, once it gets going.  We've been watching the third series on Crunchyroll, and it's pretty cool how we're finally seeing pay-off for some characters who've been lurking around putting nefarious schemes in motion for a season and a half, but we're only now getting the full picture of their plans.

Only other show we streamed vs. watching on physical media was an episode of the anime Kill la Kill which was veeeery much not my cup of tea.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 19 June 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

I've heard of Space Rangers and have meant to check it out. I might have to one day.
The DVD set is dirt cheap, so you can't go wrong.

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

I hope they're gotten the "funny" vomit schtick out of their system.

Agreed. It was kind of funny the first time but not funny after that at all. How is he supposed to pilot one of the lions if he's blowing chunks every two seconds?

The DVD set is dirt cheap, so you can't go wrong.

I probably will somewhere down the line. I also have a birthday coming up so I might just make it a birthday present.

I watched the first episode of The Shannara Chronicles on Netflix. I knew nothing about the series or the books so went in cold. I thought it was a great first episode with some really good special effects. I like the twist of where and when these conventional genre tropes are placed. I'll definitely be watching the entire season.

I've also decided to give the Attack on Titan anime series a second chance. I loved the movies and I think if I can get past the first episode (which I remember leaving me feel underwhelmed) than I'll love the show.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

^^ I read one of the Shannara books back in the 70s or 80s. It's kind of an interesting twist on the High Fantasy concept.

I forgot that we have a streaming video thread, so I posted this in the DVD thread:

I got a new Kindle and I was looking for stuff to watch.  I found Trollhunter.  It's a Norwegian movie, with subtitles, about-- wait for it-- hunting Trolls.  It's a "found-footage" movie, kind of like Blair Witch, and it is excellent.  It's full of breathtaking Norwegian scenery and the Trolls are wonderful.

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

I started watching Elementary on Hulu. I gave the show a pass when it first started airing but lately have watched some re-runs and decided to start the show from the beginning. I'm only 8 or 9 episodes into the first season but so far I'm finding it quite enjoyable.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

I bought a couple of films for my Kindle and one of them is Fritz Lang's OTHER Sci-Fi epic, The Woman In The Moon.  And epic is putting it mildly, since this puppy is well over two and a half hours long-- and they don't even get off the ground until about halfway through. I've been watching it in bits and pieces, of course, since I don't have time to watch something like that straight through (and would probably fall asleep if I tried).  But it's pretty amazing on a number of levels. The technology is very prescient-- more than forty years before the Moon landings, he's got a multi-stage rocket that is launched from a water-filled launch pad, a pretty accurate depiction of zero-G, and a reasonable flight time to the Moon.  On the other hand, he's got some pretty wacky stuff like a breathable atmosphere that is only on the far side of the Moon.  No living creatures, though. There's a lot of melodrama, involving a love triangle, and espionage involving the plans to the Moonship. One of the scientist-adventurers is a woman (not too surprising, since the 20s were a good decade for Feminism).  If you like old films and Sci-Fi, this is definitely something to see. But you'll really need to gird your attention span-- even for me it was a challenge.

#12 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

I really enjoyed watching this show.  It's pretty new and I'm also pretty sure it will have a "season 2".

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

I've heard good things about that show, but I don't have NetFlix.

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

I have Stranger Things in my Netflix queue but haven't gotten around to watching it.

I've heard good things about that show, but I don't have NetFlix.

It's possible it will get released on DVD. Several other Netflix shows have been released on DVD.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

That would make sense.  Probably around the time season two comes on.

#16 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:18 PM

I rented Big Bad on Amazon the other day. Side note, but I miss actually going to the store to rent movies. Sure it's more convenient to rent a movie in my house but I still liked going to either the rental store, or when all those closed down, Hastings. Besides, Hastings always gave credit for returning movies early so that helped keep the rental costs low. But I digress.

The movie sounded interesting and it starred Cameron Deane Stewart, who has become something of a scream king at this point. I ended up really liking it. The movie is about three high school students who take part in a fundraiser where they will be locked in jail all night while people donate to free them. Things take a turn for the worse when they are attacked by a creature out for blood.

It's definitely a low budget movie but it's able to work around those limitations. The creature is a man in a suit, but it's a good suit and the director wisely shows the creature sparingly. The three main leads are all good and do a nice job of transcending their stereotypical roles.

It is hard to pin down exactly who this movie is marketed to, though. While there are deaths in the movie, all of them are off screen. The only gore to be found is at the very end. I would say it was aiming for a younger audience but there is plenty of underage drinking, some cussing, and some sexual innuendo. I think the movie wants to exist in the same category as say, Gremlins or Hocus Pocus. While not quite as good as either of those movies, this is a movie I'll re-visit on occasion. Well, if it gets released on DVD.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

^^  One of the things I dig about indy films is that they don't feel the pressure to market to a specific demographic-- they just make the movie that they want to make.

I miss stores like Blockbuster, too.  I don't have the hang of browsing online quite yet, but I suppose it compensates that Amazon is so good at making suggestions.

I watched a movie on Amazon Prime called Creature Feature, which was sort of a Creepshow-style anthology, only not retro.  If I had known it was Halloween themed, I would have saved it for Halloween.  It had some decent twists in it and an interesting gimmick of using comic book panels to fast forward through the worst of the gore, but it also had plenty of bad acting and it was badly paced.  Nice effort for an indy film, but I was left feeling disappointed.

#18 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

^I'm pretty sure I saw Creature Feature as I was browsing Amazon but wasn't sure if it would be any good. I guess I won't rent it since you didn't seem to like it but I might borrow my mom's Amazon Prime account and watch it.

I finished the first season of Elementary. It was really good. The final few episodes were great as Holmes faced off against Moriarty. The twist the show did with Moriarty's identity was great, though I'm sure some fans were not happy since it is a pretty big twist on the mythology. I did feel that Moriarty was captured too easily. It worked within the context of the episode and what they had established about the relationship between Holmes and Moriarty but after all that build up I was left feeling a little disappointed.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend paying for Creature Feature, but you may find it worthwhile as a freebie.

I've never seen Elementary.  I can't get into any of these Sherlock-in-the present shows. It doesn't make any sense to me.

#20 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

I've never seen Elementary.  I can't get into any of these Sherlock-in-the present shows. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I've never been a huge Sherlock fan so placing the character in modern times doesn't really bother me. I've found Elementary to be a good show though it does take a little while in that first season to really pick up steam.

I stumbled across a UK show called Rosemary and Thyme on Netflix about two women who become friends over their love of gardening and solving murders. I've only watched the first two episodes but it's a fun show. There were three seasons with about six to 10 episodes a season so it shouldn't take me too long to work my way through them.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users