Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What Have You Streamed Recently (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#161 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

I watched The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix. It is a pretty good Christmas movie. I find myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. It makes me hope for a sequel next year.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#162 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

That sounds interesting. It almost seems like it could have been an elaborate episode of The Librarians. And it's set in Massachusetts, which is cool.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#163 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:22 PM

I was lead to believe that "Touch" on Netflix was a good show.  Totally felt insulted after they said, "The numbers are always right until they are not." twice.

Love Travelers. There are some insulting moment but the writers play them down so you let them slide.
So far, good show better than the usual back ground noise.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#164 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

This is a lesson on how to bilk an insurance company for 1.5 billion bucks to haul it off for scrap.

I could have done it for a lot less. See comment with the yellow rabbit wearing glasses.

#165 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Finished Titans on DC Universe.  It was really good!  A huge improvement over the current state of the CW shows, at the very least.

Some not-great elements first:  The breakdown of specific episodes in the season was a weird split between following the origin story for the Titans as a team and more general worldbuilding.   There were two separate episodes that focused more on Hawk & Dove than they did on the core Titans, episodes that were mainly introducing Donna Troy and Jason Todd, and a 'backdoor pilot' style story introducing the Doom Patrol.    Most of these individual episodes were cool stories in their own right, and a nice spotlight on some DC characters who haven't been seen on-screen before, but in the context of the actual team of Dick/Rachel/Kory/Garth, it made for some weird pacing where it felt like we were taking a break from their origin story at odd moments.    And the origin story itself focused a LOT on Dick and Rachel, so fans looking for big plotlines for Kory or Garth would probably be disappointed.  (I'm a big Dick Grayson fangirl, so I was fine with it.  :) )

Good bits:  The main character arcs for Rachel and Dick were really good, imo.  There's a lot of emphasis put on Batman and Dick figuring out how to move out of Batman's shadow (and probably laying the groundwork for him to become Nightwing next season), and Rachel's story is the main mystery driving the entire season, so there's lots of fun stuff going on there.  The team, when they come together, gels really nicely, with plenty of humor.  Kory, in particular, cracks me up a lot with just her turns of phrase or a dry comment here and there.  It's interesting to see this show doing humor because it's very different from the dork-centric, pop-culture-reference-laden humor like you get with The Flash or Legends.   Also, the action side of things is done REALLY well.  The show *is* more violent than we get in the CW shows, but it's nowhere near the ultraviolent sort of grimdark-fest that I think people were expecting based on the "F--- Batman" trailer.   Probably on par with what the Netflix Marvel shows do.  And when they do have fight scenes, they're VERY nicely choreographed, with moves appropriate to the characters.

Next up on DCUniverse is Young Justice Season 3.  I've seen three episodes so far, and so far so good on that one.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#166 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

I watched the Hulu documentary Fyre Fraud, about the disastrous Fyre Festival. It was a lot better than I was expecting, focusing not just on how and why the festival fell apart but also on the creator, William McFarland. William is shown to be a con artist of the highest magnitude and in the exclusive interview he gives he spins everything that happened not as fraud and criminal acts but as innocent mistakes made by people who had never put together a festival before. It also attacks millennial culture and social media, saying that social media influencers and FOMO were responsible for people buying into something that was obviously shady and unrealistic.

It turns out that Netflix has their own documentary about the Fyre Festival and there is bad blood between the two. The Hulu documentary paid William McFarland for his interview while the Netflix documentary is produced by the social media ad agency Jerry Media, which promoted the festival and which the Hulu documentary says is complicit in how the festival turned out and in lying to all the people who bought tickets.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#167 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

^
I started to watch the Netflix version but it didn't hold my attention.
I was part of the rock concert called Canada Jam, office staff and promotion team etc. in '78, one would think I might find some interest.

From what I read on the Wiki page, I'm going to point my finger at Fry for not paying enough of a bribe to the Bahama Ministry of Tourism. That would have solved all his problems if he had tossed them a million to get the show on the road before he even started. He would have had to keep chipping in but it would have saved him in the long run.

The locals had no reason to be accommodating, why bother, go fishing.
Poorly planned from the get go.

If you like time travel this one will twist your brain.

This one is suppose to be a comedy, more a platform for Black to show off his talents, but very well done. I didn't find it funny. I'm a senior and the jokes might have been my go to already.

#168 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

I watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe on Netflix. It is a chilling horror film about two coroners (a father and son) who have to perform an autopsy on the body of a young woman found buried in the basement of a house where multiple people were killed. As they conduct the autopsy they discover that the woman was put through a number of horrific atrocities. Not only that, but an evil presence starts to make itself known. I highly recommend this film.

Baywatch is now streaming on Amazon Prime. I watched the first episode. I was never a huge fan of Baywatch but I would watch it every now and then and I appreciated all the shirtless hunks on the show. I am actually surprised it took this long to get the show on either a streaming service or released on DVD.

The sci-fi channel Comet has been airing Babylon 5. I caught some episodes (from the fourth season) and it reminded me of how good the show was. I am now watching it from the beginning on Amazon Prime. I only saw a handful of season 1 episodes so most of this is all new to me.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#169 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

Babylon 5 is amazing, especially if watched straight through from start to finish, because it literally is a novel for television. Some people say harsh things about the first and last seasons, but I disagree. The first season had several wonderful SF and character moments that got me hooked right away (Sinclair's "Marilyn Monroe and Buddy Holly speech, Sinclair's "Vietnam Syndrome" moment, Laurel's encounter with the First Ones, and G'Kar's subsequent musings about ants).   It was also amazingly prescient about a number of things about contemporary politics, particularly a society caught between two equally ugly and extremist ideologies, the Civil War back home, and Byron the Proto-Millennial.  The show really deserves to be remembered and appreciated more.

Of course, it also inspired the contemporary fad for arc-based storytelling, so we can punish it for that.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#170 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

I've recently picked up on the war on YouTube between the Free Thinkers and the academics trying to hold on to their funding.

Some of the sites that where progressive are now uploading old content because it's loosing search engine placement and it's no fun watching the same old noise from 5 years ago.

I was lucky to be introduced to this site.
Very cool images of the moon during the daytime.
Dust off your best monitor to catch all the colors.

#171 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:50 AM

Spent a LOOOOT of time cooking this weekend to stock up my freezer, and ended up binging my way through Seasons 2 & 3 of Man in the High Castle while I worked and after.  I enjoyed Season 2 a lot.  Season 3 was half good stuff and half just moving pieces around the board to get them where they need to be for the next big thing to happen... but overall, I like where they've taken things, and will be looking forward to the final season when it's released.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#172 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

I've been off fighting a psychopath on YouTube recently. I was forced to defend my Mars theory as not a fantasy.
They backed off pretty quick when they figured out I'm not on the chessboard.

Chessboard explanation to be found here.

#173 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

View PostNiko, on 25 February 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

Spent a LOOOOT of time cooking this weekend to stock up my freezer, and ended up binging my way through Seasons 2 & 3 of Man in the High Castle while I worked and after.  I enjoyed Season 2 a lot.  Season 3 was half good stuff and half just moving pieces around the board to get them where they need to be for the next big thing to happen... but overall, I like where they've taken things, and will be looking forward to the final season when it's released.

I watched the first season but never got around to watching the second. It is another show on my ever growing pile of "Shows I need to watch when I find the time."

I haven't watched much lately but I do plan on spending one or two days over Spring Break binge watching Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

I've started Cybill and Grace Under Fire, two sitcoms from the 90s that I loved when I was younger. They are even better now since the jokes that went over my head as a kid I understand now.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#174 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,007 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

I just binged, Firefly and then I watched, Serenity.

I read somewhere on the web that a New Serenity movie will be released this year?  Can anyone confirm this rumor?

#175 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,007 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

I have started watching Game of Thrones.  I"m on season 2 episode 5.  The new and last season starts next month so I wanted a refresher course.  It's been awhile since it aired.

Edited by M.E., 18 March 2019 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users