Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What Have You Streamed Recently (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#21 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

Murder, She Gardened.  :lol:  That does sound like fun, like a cozy mystery.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#22 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:15 PM

Murder, She Gardened.  :lol:  That does sound like fun, like a cozy mystery.

It pretty much is. It's not a dark show at all even though it does deal with murder. It really does have a Murder, She Wrote vibe going for it.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 22 October 2016 - 09:45 PM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#23 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

I watched all of Scream season 2 (minus the Halloween special that just aired) on Netflix. I liked it, though it had the same problems that the first season did. Still, it did on the whole feel like a better season overall. I'm interested in where they go with season 3.

Still watching Rosemary and Thyme. Since there are only 22 episodes I'm trying to portion them out instead of just watching them in one go. I also found out that the actress playing Thyme played Trunchbull in Matilda and Aunt Marge in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Netflix has also added the first 8 episodes of Power Rangers Dino Super Charge so I'll probably watch those pretty soon, though I don't have a ton of interest in this new season. It's not bad and it's an improvement from both Samurai and Megaforce but it still just feels middle of the road to me.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#24 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

I watched the first episode of Stranger Things at the insistence of my Sister, and found it to be pretty good. It had a real 80s vibe to it (I never thought I'd be nostalgic for the 80s).  I haven't had a chance to see the second episode yet, but I plan to watch the whole season.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#25 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

I have Stranger Things in my queue and keep meaning to watch it but it never seems to happen. I know a ton of people are obsessed with it and it's become a break out hit so I'm sure I'll like it. I think I'm just watching way too much at the moment as is.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#26 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

My Sister keeps pestering me, so I'll have to watch the second episode soon. There's just too many new episodes of other shows this time of year.

If On Demand counts as streaming, I just watched the Rocky Horror remake, but I started a separate thread for it in the Reviews forum.

#27 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

As part of my Halloween Marathon, I've watched a few things on On Demand.  TCM has had a bunch of Hammer Films this week, which included Horror of Dracula, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave, and Taste The Blood of Dracula, as well as Curse of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. I don't think any other studio has used so many complete sentences for titles.  I also watched Island of Lost Souls, the amazing pre-code adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau.  And I watched the new Rocky Horror a second time.

#28 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

I watched Angry Birds on Netflix. It was about what I expected. There were some humorous bits but nothing to write home about.

Still working on Rosemary and Thyme. I have one episode left in the second season. I believe the second season was an improvement on the first with better murder mysteries. The show is leaving Netflix come January 1 so I'll have to speed through the last season unless I get the box set for Christmas.

I started watching Haven. I never got into it when it first aired on SyFy but figured I'd give it a chance. I liked the episodes but I felt a little more world building could have been done. It's already jumped into the formula of the week format and it feels too early for everyone to not bat an eye at a woman who can control weather or a teenager who can cause all kinds of destruction when he sleeps. Other than that though I'm enjoying it.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#29 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

^^  It gets weirder and weirder.  :lol:

#30 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

I've been watching Star Trek the Animated Series.
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#31 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

I'm watching Fuller House season 2 right now. It does feel like an improvement over season 1. I've watched the first four episodes so far.

I watched Grabbers on Hulu. I liked it, though I thought it would be better than it was given the premise. It's about a small fishing village on an island that gets attacked by creatures that drink blood but are allergic to alcohol so the entire town gets drunk. There was a lot of fun and scary moments but it didn't add up to as great a movie as I was hoping.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#32 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

After having it in my queue for what felt like years, I finally watched the first episode of Daredevil. It was really good. I'm excited to see how the rest of the season goes.

I watched the Nickelodeon movie Liar, Liar, Vampire on Hulu before it was removed. It was a better movie than I thought. It's about an Australian teen who moves to America and gets mistaken for a Twlight-esque vampire and decides to pretend he is so he can be popular.

I am still slowly making my way through Fuller House season 2. I just watched the Thanksgiving episode and it was great. Probably the best episode of the season so far. It brought back all the old cast (minus the Olsen twins) and had a lot of laughs.

I am also still slowly working on Elementary. I am almost done with season 2.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#33 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:52 PM

Hulu added the ITV show Whitechapel back to their site after removing it some years back. I had watched the first two seasons (really mini-series since both only had three episodes) some years ago but didn't want to rush through the last two so I took a break from the show. Much to my surprise and dismay the show left Hulu before I could finish it. Thankfully it returned and I watched an episode a day until I finished the show tonight. The first season focused on a Jack the Ripper copycat stalking the streets of Whitecapel. Up and comer Detective Inspector Chandler is given the case as a stepping stone even though he's never worked a murder before and he doesn't have the respect of his new team (aside from young Kent who most fans believe is in love with Chandler) and he butts heads with his sergeant Miles. Chandler recruits helps from Buchan, a "Ripperologist" who conducts tours of all of the Ripper's murder sites and has written a book about the serial killer.

The second season saw the team deal with two twins claiming to be the new Krays and taking over the London underworld. They might not have been as menacing as Jack the Ripper but they were still a big threat and they went after the team personally, including a vicious attack on Kent. This series really solidified the main trio of Chandler, Miles, and Buchan while also developing characters like Kent more. It left the more horror tinged world of the first season behind and was more of a criminal underworld type season.

The third season had six episodes consisting of three two-part arcs. Instead of focusing on copycat killers, this season (and season 4) had the team use the history of old crimes to inform their approach in solving these new murders. Buchan becomes an official part of the team and creates a crime archive in the basement. The new format works and the show gets back to its more horrific roots after the gangster detour in season 2. The characters are given lots of focus and development as well as some good subplots that run throughout the six episodes.

The final season is arguably the most ambitious, upping the tension, suspense, and gore while also teasing a supernatural connection to all the murders in Whitechapel. The season definitely has a theme of corruption and decay as all the characters wallow in darkness and even the station starts to break down. It is probably the darkest season yet. What sucks is that it ended with a few plot lines still up in the air, including a major one about a possible provocateur that has been messing with the team.

If you couldn't tell, I really loved this series. The episodes were quite dark and disturbing yet there were always moments of levity and humor in there as well as nice little slice of life moments from the characters. The last two seasons were truly great with the two episode arcs. It made them feel like movies. I was also surprised by how much character development was put into those twelve episodes. I felt like I had been watching these characters for years instead of just a few weeks.

If you are in the mood for a police procedural with a nice twist, plenty of suspense, and great characters give it a try.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#34 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

I rented The Big Bus from Amazon. It's a 70s movie spoofing all the disaster movies that were prevalent that day. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. I might have to buy it on DVD one day.

I also rented the movie Eloise. It had a decent cast Eliza Dushku, Brandon T. Jackson, Chace Crawford, and Robert Patrick. It seemed like it would be a good haunted insane asylum movie but instead it was more of a time travel movie and not very scary at all. I was rather disappointed.

Recently I watched a few episodes of The Goldbergs on ABC and enjoyed them so I've been re-watching the show on Hulu. It's really funny and makes me wish I had given it a chance when it first aired.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#35 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

I finally finished Elementary season 2. I'm about to start season 3. My hope is to have that season done by the time the sixth season starts.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#36 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

I've been watchingThe Great British Baking Show.
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#37 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

Nothing, ever.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#38 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

I have started watching the CNN mini-series The 60s, The 70s, and The 80s. I've liked them all so far. They have been pretty informative and entertaining. The 70s is pretty depressing though since all the episodes (aside from the one about television) have been about the Watergate Scandal, Vietnam, all the death cults, serial killers, and rampant violence that swept through the decade.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#39 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

It might be interesting for me to watch these, just to see how they're presented versus how I remember them. Of them all, I remember the 80s as being the grimmest.  Certainly, the things you mention were happening in the 60s and 70s, but there was also a tremendous amount of positive energy in the air, like electricity-- it was really a joyful time of change and anticipation of change.  Unfortunately, ensuing generations have betrayed that promise big time.

#40 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

It might be interesting for me to watch these, just to see how they're presented versus how I remember them. Of them all, I remember the 80s as being the grimmest.  Certainly, the things you mention were happening in the 60s and 70s, but there was also a tremendous amount of positive energy in the air, like electricity-- it was really a joyful time of change and anticipation of change.  Unfortunately, ensuing generations have betrayed that promise big time.

I hope you do watch them and give your take because the 70s series presents it as a really dark, terrible decade. To be fair I haven't watched every episode but from the synopsis of the last few episodes I don't think they're going to be full of rainbows and puppies.

The 80s, on the other hand, are presented as a great decade for America (the exception being the episode focusing on the AIDs crisis and the episode focusing on Wall Street greed). Reagan is treated with kid gloves and his bad decisions are downplayed.

I've been skipping around a lot lately, watching an episode here or there from several different shows.

I watched a few more episodes of Elementary, season 3. I've enjoying it quite a bit.

I've watched the first two episodes of Granite Flats. I'm not sure what I think about them yet. I was expecting a show similar to Eerie, Indiana or Gravity Falls and there are aspects of that but the show also deals with some more adult themes than I thought it would.

Midsomer Murders was up next. I have only watched the first episode (I should call it a movie since it was movie length) and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Apparently I just have a hankering for murder mystery series because I've watched several episodes of Murdoch Mysteries.

I watched an episode of the 1960s Dragnet series because the TV episode of the 60s mini-series mentioned the show and how out of touch it was with the youth culture and the changing times.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users