Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What Have You Streamed Recently (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#201 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,629 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

So I finished the first season of Stranger Things.  Wow. It was amazingly well done, with a really satisfying, yet open ended, climax.  The cast is really, really good and everybody has a great part to play.  The chief's scenes in the climax are heartbreaking.  Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Now on to Season Two.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#202 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

I watched the new three part Dracula mini-series on Netflix. I liked it though it had some big flaws, mainly in episode 3. The first episode is basically Jonathan Harker recounting his time at Dracula's castle to a pair of nuns. The second episode is aboard the Demeter and the third episode I won't say anything about so as not to ruin the twist but I will say that I didn't like the direction the third episode went in. It was definitely the weakest episode.

I have also started watching Shakespeare and Hathway, a cozy mystery series from the BBC. It fits into the vein of Monk or Psych, with a good dose of comedy in each episode.

I watched Dark Was the Night, a really well done slow burn horror movie on Amazon Prime. It was really well done and took a less is more approach in regards to its monster which worked rather well.

I'm jealous that you get to watch the Mad About You continuation. I was a fan of the show back in the day and was excited to hear they were making a new season. I hope it does find its way to a streaming service that I actually have access to.

So I finished the first season of Stranger Things.  Wow. It was amazingly well done, with a really satisfying, yet open ended, climax.  The cast is really, really good and everybody has a great part to play.  The chief's scenes in the climax are heartbreaking.  Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Now on to Season Two.

I have yet to watch season2 or 3. I keep meaning to but never get around to actually doing it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#203 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,629 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

Luckily, my Sister will beat me up if I don't, so I have no choice.  I was going to check out that Dracula series, but now I'm not so sure. Dark Was The Night sounds like it might appeal to me, though.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#204 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

Thanks VV for recommending Dracula on Netflix. I had to go vampire hunting to track it down. I did enjoy it, very captivating.

Binge watched Mindhunter again.  Would have been nice if there where more then 2 seasons, they left me on a cliff again.
No, they released the cast from their contracts, not good. Seems the writer is a bit fickle.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#205 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,629 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:40 PM

I watched Apollo 18 on Netflix.  It's very good.  It's a found-footage movie, and in this case the found footage is stolen classified NASA films. It suffers from the usual credulity issues that hamper this kind of film, but it's fine-- the movie is so engrossing that you don't really notice. It's definitely nightmare fuel.

#206 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

Thanks VV for recommending Dracula on Netflix. I had to go vampire hunting to track it down. I did enjoy it, very captivating.

You're welcome. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

I watched Apollo 18 on Netflix.  It's very good.  It's a found-footage movie, and in this case the found footage is stolen classified NASA films. It suffers from the usual credulity issues that hamper this kind of film, but it's fine-- the movie is so engrossing that you don't really notice. It's definitely nightmare fuel.

I watched that on DVD a while back. I also enjoyed it. The found footage aspect was better than most.

I am watching Shakespeare and Hathaway, a cozy mystery that is part of my Britbox subscription. Two seasons have been produced and two more on on the way. It centers on Luella Shakespeare and Frank Hathway, two private detectives whose cases usually involve murder at some point. They are aided by their fabulous and fabulously gay assistant and undercover man (he was trained at RADA) Sebastian.

It is just a really fun show that always brightens up my day. I am on the second season now. I'm trying to pace myself because I don't know when the third season will be released.

I am also watching Suddenly, Susan on the Roku Channel. Talk about a blast from the past.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#207 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

I watched Frozen II on Disney+. I liked it but it wasn't as good as the original and it had a rather meandering plot. Also, did anyone else think that the message at the end was basically "segregation is good?" At the end of the first movie Elsa was happy and content with who she was but here she decides she doesn't really fit in and is happier living with people her own kind in the Enchanted Forest while Anna serves as Queen of the non-magic people.

I'm also watching the Disney Channel series I Didn't Do It. The series wasn't a huge hit since it only lasted two seasons but I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. There are some genuinely funny moments, I like the cast, and the characters feel like real life long friends.

I also stumbled across the Youtube channel Brandon Tenold's Cult Movie Reviews. He is a Canadian man who reviews cult movies, as the title implies. Some I have heard of and watched (like all of the Godzilla movies) but some I haven't. He is pretty entertaining and has done a little over 200 reviews so there is a lot of content there to enjoy.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#208 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

Since it is summer I've started re-watching Phineas & Ferb. I don't know if I will watch the entire series but I'll do my best. I am annoyed that Disney has the episodes out of order. There isn't a long running plot or anything and for the most part the episodes can be watched in any order but there are some jokes that play out over several episodes. In one case we see Doof's daughter Vanessa in an episode and then in a later episode we see her actual introduction. One episode has the first segment where the gang go to Phineas and Ferb's grandparents to have "camp" and then a few episodes later we get an episode that has the second segment. Why they split those two up I don't know.

I watched Amsterdamned and The Lift, two Dutch horror movies by director Dick Maas. I had previously watched and enjoyed two of his other horror movies, Saint and Uncaged (also known as Prey). Amsterdamned is a pretty good slasher/thriller that shows off Amsterdam really well. The Lift was pretty good too. I wasn't sure how a movie about an elevator that kills people would be but I liked it.

I watched another Dutch horror movie as well. It is called Scream Week in English and Sneek Week in Dutch. It is another slasher movie in the vein of I Know What You Did Last Summer. I didn't like it as much. The characters weren't that sympathetic and only one of them seemed to show any remorse for their role in accidentally killing a person and covering it up. It was pretty easy to guess the identity of the killer as well. Plus, it takes way too long for any true horror or slasher elements to actually happen.

I've also been watching Agatha Christie's Marple. I'm on the second to last season which is sad. It is a really good series.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#209 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:22 AM

YouTube has the black and white Hitchcock Presents.
I had to go into my own way-back machine to remember what these 12 minute episodes shared their half hour with in reruns, in the 60's.
I'm pretty sure it was a local grocery store bingo.

Also the answer to the world's problems that should be taught in grade nine health class.

7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#210 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,629 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 June 2020 - 06:57 PM, said:

Since it is summer I've started re-watching Phineas & Ferb.  
I love Phineas & Ferb.  One of my all-time favorite cartoons.

The Lift was pretty good too. I wasn't sure how a movie about an elevator that kills people would be but I liked it.  
Is that an oldie. I'm getting 80s flashbacks.

View PostD.Rabbit, on 15 June 2020 - 01:22 AM, said:

YouTube has the black and white Hitchcock Presents.  
That's a fantastic show.

I had to go into my own way-back machine to remember what these 12 minute episodes shared their half hour with in reruns, in the 60's.
I'm pretty sure it was a local grocery store bingo.  
It was a half-hour program.  They must have cut them down.

I watched The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime, and it was pretty cool. It was presented as an episode of Paradox Theater, complete with Serlingish host, which was showing on an old TV with bad snowy reception.  The bad reception was also used several times to transition between scenes. The story itself was a spooky late 50s flying saucer tale set in a small town in New Mexico.  The great thing about it was that it was 99% character and tension, and about 1% special effects. Another interesting aspect of the storytelling was that there were a ton of long takes-- and not just the roaming-around-town shots which were supplemented by CGI, but long single takes of dialogue and monologue.  All around, it was quite good.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users