Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

What Have You Streamed Recently (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

^^  See if you can find the "Blue Boy" episode. :lol:  I like Dragnet, but, yeah, it's not exactly Laugh-In.

As for those CNN documentary series, I'm a little suspicious of them painting the 70s as grim and the 80s as great. That wasn't my experience. It seems more like something FOX would show, rather than CNN.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#42 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

Star Trek : Voyager
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#43 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

As for those CNN documentary series, I'm a little suspicious of them painting the 70s as grim and the 80s as great. That wasn't my experience. It seems more like something FOX would show, rather than CNN.

Don't get me wrong. It's not Fox-like propaganda and the few 70s episodes I have left to watch could paint the decade in a better light (I really need to finish those episodes). I think it's more that in the 70s mini-series they felt like Watergate, Nixon, Vietnam, and the high level of violence needed to be highlighted whereas with the 80s mini-series the improving economy, tech boom, and pop culture needed to be highlighted. They do talk about the scandals Reagan dealt with but they're not given as much time as Watergate, which makes sense. Watergate led to a president leaving office. I do recommend watching them for yourself and also for me because I'd like your take on the 70s compared to their take on the decade.

Star Trek : Voyager

I'm watching that as well, though on DVD. I am currently in the second season, about 8 episodes in.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 17 June 2017 - 09:02 PM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#44 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 17 June 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong. It's not Fox-like propaganda and the few 70s episodes I have left to watch could paint the decade in a better light (I really need to finish those episodes). I think it's more that in the 70s mini-series they felt like Watergate, Nixon, Vietnam, and the high level of violence needed to be highlighted whereas with the 80s mini-series the improving economy, tech boom, and pop culture needed to be highlighted. They do talk about the scandals Reagan dealt with but they're not given as much time as Watergate, which makes sense. Watergate led to a president leaving office. I do recommend watching them for yourself and also for me because I'd like your take on the 70s compared to their take on the decade.  
I'll see if they're on On Demand.  Or are they on the website somewhere?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#45 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

I'll see if they're on On Demand.  Or are they on the website somewhere?

I'm not sure. I've only watched them on Netflix but I have seen the episodes on TV lately so maybe you can catch the re-runs. I finally finished The 70s. The episode that focused on the Women's Liberation Movement, the Sexual Revolution, and the Gay Rights movement will be one you like because it talks about the promise of the 70s and how people were trying to make a better society. It also focuses on the rise of the evangelicals and how they and the conservatives partnered to put an end to the peace and love of the decade. I do wish they had either spent two episodes focusing on this part of the decade or divided it up. Heck, one of the people talking about the decade in the episode says that a big problem the WLM faced was that their movement was linked to the Sexual Revolution even though the two weren't exclusive and that's exactly what this episode did.

The last episode, focusing on the music of the decade, was also really upbeat and positive.

I watched Cub on Amazon Prime. It's a Belgian horror movie about a group of Boy Scouts camping in woods that are the hunting ground of some random guy and his feral son who have planted elaborate death traps everywhere. I liked it though I felt it could have been a little better and I thought the ending was a little rushed. The subtitles weren't great as they appeared a few seconds after a character started talking so they might be finished and someone else might have started by the time the subtitles have popped up.

I also watched the first episode of Free Rein, a Netflix original show focusing on Zoe, an American teen who travels to England with her mother and younger sister for the summer to visit their grandfather. There she gets involved with a local stable when she is able to calm down Raven, a usually out of control horse. Of course there's also two cute boys that she has to decide between. I really liked the first episode. It did a good job of establishing the characters and the setting while also introducing a few mysteries.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#46 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 28 June 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

I'm not sure. I've only watched them on Netflix but I have seen the episodes on TV lately so maybe you can catch the re-runs.
Okay, I don't have Netflix. I checked On Demand and Amazon Prime and they're not there. I'll just have to keep an eye peeled.

I finally finished The 70s. The episode that focused on the Women's Liberation Movement, the Sexual Revolution, and the Gay Rights movement will be one you like because it talks about the promise of the 70s and how people were trying to make a better society.
That's my 70s.  :lol:

It also focuses on the rise of the evangelicals and how they and the conservatives partnered to put an end to the peace and love of the decade.  
And that's what ushered in the 80s.

Heck, one of the people talking about the decade in the episode says that a big problem the WLM faced was that their movement was linked to the Sexual Revolution even though the two weren't exclusive and that's exactly what this episode did.  
They were connected, though, in several senses. Of course, they had a general connection because the entire Zeitgeist of the 60s and 70s was about freedom, whether it was sexual freedom or the freedom of women and minorities to achieve their potential (or artistic freedom and so on). And there was a more specific connection because one of the main reasons that the Women's Lib movement was more successful and more extensive than all previous Feminist movements was the pill-- the thing that allowed women to be as sexually adventurous and liberated as men.

#47 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

A documentary called Yarn---it was more than I thought it would be.

#48 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

I thought it kind of unraveled toward the end.

Just kidding.  I didn't see it.  :lol:

#49 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

^^^Har Har, RJ. :sigh:

#50 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

:angel:

#51 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

Your halo's a bit tilted. :D

#52 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

:blush:  :lol:

#53 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

Okay, I don't have Netflix. I checked On Demand and Amazon Prime and they're not there. I'll just have to keep an eye peeled.

It looks like CNN is airing all episodes of The 70s starting Friday night at 9 p.m. (central time). It then looks like they will air some of the 80s episodes Saturday.

I thought it kind of unraveled toward the end.

Just kidding.  I didn't see it.  :lol:

lol.

I finally watched the first episode of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. It was great. There were moments I was comparing it to the film but I thought it did enough to distinguish itself and I'm sure as the series goes on it will cover ground the movie never did.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#54 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

^^  I didn't even know there was a series.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 July 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

It looks like CNN is airing all episodes of The 70s starting Friday night at 9 p.m. (central time). It then looks like they will air some of the 80s episodes Saturday.  
If it's just Friday night, I probably won't be able to catch it.  I've really got to get a DVR.

#55 Luciferian

Luciferian
  • Islander
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

Bojack Horseman Season 1-3

Stranger Things Season 1

Bones Season 3

Impractical Jokers Season 5

#56 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

I streamed the first two episodes of Blood Drive and the first of Hooten and the Lady.

#57 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Stranger Things Season 1

I keep meaning to watch this and yet never do. I really need to make it a priority since season 2 is coming out soon.

I streamed the first two episodes of Blood Drive and the first of Hooten and the Lady.

What did you think of Blood Drive? I've only watched the first three episodes so far.

I've been watching The Goldbergs lately. Almost done with season 1. They did a tribute episode to The Goonies and it made me realize I've never actually watched that entire movie. I've seen bits here and there but never the whole thing. Guess I need to rectify that.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#58 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 26 July 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

What did you think of Blood Drive? I've only watched the first three episodes so far.  
I liked it, at least enough that I plan to watch more.  They really captured that Grindhouse ambiance, that's for sure. The visuals were a labor of love.

They did a tribute episode to The Goonies and it made me realize I've never actually watched that entire movie. I've seen bits here and there but never the whole thing. Guess I need to rectify that.  
I've been thinking about re-watching The Goonies. I was disappointed in it when it first came out, but I've been thinking I might have been too hard on it.  In the early 80s, there were a lot of movies coming out that were homages to the old Pulps and Movie Serials (yes, I was retro even then), and it seemed like Goonies was part of that trend-- an homage to the old Boy's Adventure Pulps-- but I felt that it didn't really capture the mood. I should give it another chance.

#59 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

I've watched the first two episodes of Wizards Vs. Aliens. It's a fun show by Russel T. Davies. Basically it's about aliens called the Nekross who feed on magic and have come to Earth. They encounter teenager Tom, the latest in a line of wizards that have strong magic and his friend Benny, a normal human who believes magic can be explained by science. I've decided that instead of binge-watching it I will watch one episode a week on Saturday. It feels like a Saturday kind of show.

I rented Alien: Covenant from Amazon and was pretty disappointed. It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

I finally watched the second episode of Daredevil, and only did that because I want to the The Defenders but don't want to go in completely blind. My plan is to watch at least two episodes of the other Marvel Netflix shows and then watch The Defenders.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#60 Luciferian

Luciferian
  • Islander
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

Would You Rather?
The Secret Life of Pets
Alien vs Predator Requiem

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users