• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,607 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

That's... interesting.  I wonder if it ties into any of the existing shows.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 23 July 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

That's... interesting.  I wonder if it ties into any of the existing shows.

I don't think it will. I gather they're going with the Hawkwoman from Thanagar rather than the Arrowverse's reincarnated-Egyptian-princess Hawkgirl. And its version of Krypton is clearly different from Supergirl's. Besides, outside of the Arrowverse (and its retroactive adoption of Constantine), all the DC and Vertigo TV shows are independent of each other.

What surprises me about the new information is that apparently it won't be set in the DCEU (the Man of Steel/BvS universe) as I thought it would. If it has characters from the present going back in time, then its version of the present pretty much needs to be independent of what the movies are doing, so they don't step on each other's toes.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#23 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

That new information has me more interested in the show now. I was always going to watch it because it's Superman related but I wasn't all that thrilled about a show set in the past on Krypton because nothing they do really matters since the planet will blow up eventually.

Throwing in the time travel aspect and a threat to Superman's very existence though and things get a lot more exciting.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#24 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 05 August 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

That new information has me more interested in the show now. I was always going to watch it because it's Superman related but I wasn't all that thrilled about a show set in the past on Krypton because nothing they do really matters since the planet will blow up eventually.

Lots of fiction is about doomed civilizations. This premise has reminded me of Caprica from the start, though less so now. And what about all the stories about Pompeii before its destruction, or, more fictionally, Atlantis? For that matter, there have been a ton of comics stories about Krypton's past over the decades. People have always been fascinated with exploring dead cultures, real or imaginary. There's the curiosity about a way of life that's now gone, or the poignancy of what might have been, or the tension and mystery of how it happened and whether it could've been stopped.

Throwing in the time travel aspect and a threat to Superman's very existence though and things get a lot more exciting.

For me it has the opposite effect -- it makes it feel more conventional. It's basically the Temporal Cold War again.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#25 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

It kinda reminds me of a stripped-down version of the Trinity weekly comic that DC did years ago, where villains go back in time to obliviate Superman (prevent the pod from landing in Kansas), Batman (prevent the Waynes' murder), and Wonder Woman (destroy Paradise Island).

Setting this on Krypton will have a tighter focus --and the history of Rann & Thanagar makes for some instant drama between Strange and Hawkgirl. As does the irony of Adam Strange being a human on Krypton (and possibly, of Hawkgirl, depending on how they play with Kryptonian history --in at least some versions, Thanagar was one of the worlds that resisted the Kryptonian Empire, eventually leading to its fall).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#26 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:14 AM

Wait.  Krypton had an interstellar empire?  When did this happen?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#27 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

Hundreds or thousands of years ago (again, it varies by continuity). In some versions, Zod was trying to halt the collapse (in others, the collapse had already happened, and Zod was trying to Make Krypton Great Again, so to speak). Sometimes, that's where Daxam comes from; a Kryptonian colony that got cut off.

It's a useful device to "stack the odds" against Superman when the JLA deals with aliens; a lot of the more powerful alien races in the galaxy have long memories and anti-Kryptonian weapons (or super-powered warriors) already available.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#28 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

:shocked:

That's news to me.

Here I thought that Supergirl (the TV show) was doing something new by having Krypton be part of an interstellar community.

Admittedly, Man of Steel (the movie) did note that Krypton had interstellar outposts 100,000 years ago (a detail I thought unique to the film) ... but, my impression was that by the end Krypton was a failing rump state (a global one that was apparently tearing itself apart, necessitating the security forces to intercede) ... with no ties remaining to any of their interstellar neighbors.

I do recall hearing about Daxam being a Kryptonian colony.  And it seemed to me that in the Post-Crisis/Byrnesian Krypton ... where Doomsday and the Eradicator was created, that for a spell Krypton had received a number of off-world visitors before they became radical isolationists, so I'm left wondering just which continuity had it that Krypton had wars with other systems.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 07 August 2017 - 12:58 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#29 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

I recall that in Elliot S! Maggin's awesome novel Superman: Last Son of Krypton, based on the pre-Crisis/Bronze Age continuity, it was explained that Kryptonians weren't even native to the planet -- that they were humanoid colonists from elsewhere who had to evolve to adapt to Krypton's crushing gravity and harsh conditions, hence their super-dense cell structure.

Facebook Author Page

#30 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Oh, yeah, there was one comic story that suggested that there was a common fairy tale concerning the first "people" on Krypton were a pair of astronauts, one named Kryp, the other named Town ... hence the name.  And things went downhill from there as it was depicted that the Kryptonians had to work their way up from approx. stone/bronze-age kingdoms, and then there's the suggestion that they had all lived in one hemisphere before occupying the globe (Old World/New World labels describing the hemispheres on the map of Krypton).

Can you tell, they were making this up as they went along?

The show claims that they took the Byrne revamp of Krypton's history as their starting point, and are extrapolating from that.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#31 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Lots of fiction is about doomed civilizations. This premise has reminded me of Caprica from the start, though less so now. And what about all the stories about Pompeii before its destruction, or, more fictionally, Atlantis? For that matter, there have been a ton of comics stories about Krypton's past over the decades. People have always been fascinated with exploring dead cultures, real or imaginary. There's the curiosity about a way of life that's now gone, or the poignancy of what might have been, or the tension and mystery of how it happened and whether it could've been stopped.

I'm not against doomed civilization fiction but it has to interest me and there was nothing about Krypton beforehand that really grabbed my interest.

For me it has the opposite effect -- it makes it feel more conventional. It's basically the Temporal Cold War again.

Maybe, but who knows how it will play out. Plus, the Temporal Cold War involved a lot of factions competing against each other throughout the time stream. This seems to be focused just on Krytpon.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#32 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 August 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

I'm not against doomed civilization fiction but it has to interest me and there was nothing about Krypton beforehand that really grabbed my interest.

Which version of Krypton are you basing that on, though? There have been many. Some have more potential than others. And of course, the show will create its own version that could be interesting in its own way. What's been done in the past isn't a limit on what a new interpretation can do. Heck, the original Battlestar Galactica revealed very little about Caprica and the Twelve Colonies, but that didn't stop the remake continuity from building their own elaborate version of that culture.

Facebook Author Page

#33 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:42 PM

Which version of Krypton are you basing that on, though? There have been many. Some have more potential than others. And of course, the show will create its own version that could be interesting in its own way. What's been done in the past isn't a limit on what a new interpretation can do. Heck, the original Battlestar Galactica revealed very little about Caprica and the Twelve Colonies, but that didn't stop the remake continuity from building their own elaborate version of that culture.

Sorry. Should have clarified that. When I said Krypton I meant the actual TV show. Nothing about the plot or casting or anything else really piqued my interest. I was still going to give it a chance because I am a Superman fan but I wasn't sold on the concept. I have nothing against the concept of Krypton in the comics, movies, or TV shows at all. For all I know I will love this show. I've just been ambivalent about it up til now.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#34 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

A new teaser trailer for KRYPTON has been released.

The CGI effects appear to have been redone for more detail.  Perhaps the old leaked trailer had only temporary unfinished CGI.

Lyta Zod herself, actress Georgina Campbell, is featured in season three of BROADCHURCH, currently streaming on Netflix.

Edited by Jorgasnarova, 13 December 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#35 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

From the KRYPTON presentation at San Diego Comic Con, the cast and showrunners talk about the show.

#36 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:18 AM

The latest KRYPTON trailer, which states the premiere date.

#37 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

I like that last statement:  "The story of our family isn't about how we died, but about how we lived."

Here's hoping the writers remember that.

I'm still not feeling the guy in the hoodie.  Presumably, he's Adam Strange.  

And I wish they could've left out the reference to the grandson.  I know it's meant to establish a tie to the present so the audience would care, but it (like the whole destiny argument) rather detracts from the character's own agency in the story.  I'd rather see people do their deeds for their own reasons, than be compelled by outside forces.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 January 2018 - 10:12 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#38 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,883 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

View PostG-man, on 14 January 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

I like that last statement:  "The story of our family isn't about how we died, but about how we lived."

Here's hoping the writers remember that.

It sounds like the writers are trying to convince the audience of that. I see so many people online asking "Why should I care about the past of a planet we know is going to be destroyed?" Which I think is a bizarre question. We know that all fictional characters (except the immortals) are going to die eventually, that their civilizations will fall someday. We enjoy historical fiction about ancient civilizations that no longer exist, and a lot of stories are specifically about civilizations on the verge of destruction, whether real ones like Pompeii or fictional ones like Atlantis. And Krypton isn't even about that, particularly, since it's a couple of generations before the end.

I'm still not feeling the guy in the hoodie.  Presumably, he's Adam Strange.  

That's right. It's Shaun Sipos, who was briefly a cast member on Dark Matter before they randomly killed him off and had the other characters basically forget he ever existed. I wasn't too impressed by his acting there.

And I wish they could've left out the reference to the grandson.  I know it's meant to establish a tie to the present so the audience would care, but it (like the whole destiny argument) rather detracts from the character's own agency in the story.  I'd rather see people do their deeds for their own reasons, than be compelled by outside forces.

Yeah, I would've liked something like Caprica, straight historical fiction about an alien world. But then, I would've preferred Gotham to be a straight crime drama about Jim Gordon cleaning up the GCPD, and instead it's ended up tossing in all of Batman's supervillains while Bruce Wayne is still a teenager. WB Television and the networks seem to think that their prequels need tie-ins to the established future of the characters in order to hold an audience. Even though Smallville managed to keep those ties to a minimum for its first several seasons, bringing them in only gradually.

Facebook Author Page

#39 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,607 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

That looked about as generic as they could possibly make it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#40 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:53 AM

Some new photos and character posters of the main cast and characters have been released:

http://www.superhero...osters#/slide/1

Interesting...I'm wondering if Georgina Campbell's Lyta Zod looks better in her black uniform or the scarlet one, and what the reason for the two styles of uniform are.  One for day to day militia use and the other for formal occasions, perhaps?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Krypton, Man of Steel, Superman, DC Comics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users