Krypton Man of Steel Superman DC Comics

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

I wonder about the red cape we see in some of the shots. Is it some House of El heirloom that would be sent off with baby Kal-El in a couple of generations? Or is it Superman's cape brought back in time by Adam Strange?

It looks like a visually interesting show, at any rate. I like what I've seen of the set designs.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#42 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

The sets are interesting, the costumes and characters ... not so much.  

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#43 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

I'm intrigued, though I'd love to see someone photoshop the El crest into the Post-Crisis version (that didn't look exactly like the letter S).

Posted Image
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#44 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostCybersnark, on 19 February 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm intrigued, though I'd love to see someone photoshop the El crest into the Post-Crisis version (that didn't look exactly like the letter S).

No, it just looks like an S with an inverted S superimposed, or like an 8.

Comics legend John Byrne once wrote that as a kid, he never realized that the Superman logo represented an S. He focused on the negative space and thought it was just a couple of abstract fish shapes and triangles. I like to think that's what it actually is in Kryptonian -- that what we see as an "S" is just the background between the actual Kryptonian symbols.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#45 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

I always took the lopsided-8 design to be a stylized DNA helix (a recurring image in Post-Crisis, with Project Cadmus' "crossed-out-X" symbol --and an ironic reflection of the Kryptonian Superman and the cloned Superboy, both of whom were produced in artificial wombs).

I also liked the symbolism that the S-shield wasn't strictly a Kryptonian symbol, it was Clark's symbol, inspired by the name Lois gave him, and added to the costume Ma made him. Taking the best of Krypton and altering it to reflect the best of Earth, looking forward rather than back.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#46 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

View PostCybersnark, on 20 February 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

I also liked the symbolism that the S-shield wasn't strictly a Kryptonian symbol, it was Clark's symbol, inspired by the name Lois gave him, and added to the costume Ma made him. Taking the best of Krypton and altering it to reflect the best of Earth, looking forward rather than back.

I dunno... I've always thought Clark would've resisted adopting the name "Superman," because it has a certain arrogance about it. He doesn't see himself as superior to other people; he sees everyone as full of limitless potential and just sees himself as a good neighbor trying to help them fulfill it. So it works better for me if the symbol just coincidentally looks like an S and prompts Lois or others to decide it stands for "Superman," which Clark grudgingly accepts because it catches on so widely.

I like it that Supergirl has basically given the symbol a name, at least in the Arrowverse continuity. As in many modern versions, that series interprets the symbol as the House of El's crest or coat of arms, but while some other continuities say it means "Hope," Supergirl says it stands for the Kryptonian phrase El mayarah, meaning "Stronger together." So I've started to think of that symbol as "the El mayarah."

Facebook Author Page

#47 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

So we finally meet Krypton’s big bad:

I’m liking this take on this classic Superman villain.  Here’s hoping they don’t screw it up.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#48 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

SyFy's "Krypton" premieres tonight.  The first five episodes were previewed to critics.  As far as positive comments go, the production design, actors, and the intricate world building have been getting nods.  The show has a deliberate Game of Thrones in Outer Space vibe.  Negative comments center around a portentous tone and a slow pace.  We will see.  Looking forward to this one quite a bit.

#49 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:43 PM

I've seen both moderately negative and strongly positive reviews today.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Krypton, Man of Steel, Superman, DC Comics

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users