• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,537 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

Yeah, this kind of came to me ...

How would the weather and currents be different if Earth's rotational axis mirrored Uranus' in that it was parallel to the world's orbit?

Would this hold true for a Terrestrial World (call it "Lazuly" for ease of reference) that was mostly water with its sole continent occupying a pole, while the rest of the land masses consists of islands big (like Japan, or Britain) and small (Hawaii, et al.)?

From what I saw, the equator of the planet would be "facing" the sun during the Spring/Fall Equinoxes, but come "Summer" it'd be north pole facing the sun, and the "Winter" would have the south pole facing the sun.

Would the equator/tropic regions remain the most habitable?

Would this world be able to support life as we know it?

What would a day/night cycle be like?

I'd imagine that this up-ended world would be markedly different from our own, and I wanted to explore how, except I'm finding this concept really boggling my mind.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 19 May 2016 - 12:38 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,537 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

Also, what would the day-night cycle in the tropics look like over the course of the seasons?

From what I read, at least during the Fall and Spring, it should approximate what we experience, but what about the Summer and Winter?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

It will always feel like Winter is coming...

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,537 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

Well, yes, especially as "Winter" might mean, to those at either extreme of the Tropics, a season (well, perhaps a month or two) of uninterrupted night.  Likewise, "Summer" may translate to a season of everlasting day. With Early and Late Winter/Summer witnessing a pronounced waning and waxing of Daylight/Night-time, as the sunlight ebbs from, and flows to those latitudes while the world orbits it.

Whether or not this means that the Storm Seasons fall during Spring and Autumn, or Winter and Summer, is hard for me to gauge.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

Love the topic, and the idea.

Am I right in presuming you don't watch GAME OF THRONES?  My response was a nod to the phrase the people of the North always say.

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Pretty much, FarscapeOne, though I did recognize the phrase.

It just so happened to have also inspired the notion to me of how the day/night cycle might appear.

/s/

Gloriosus
th G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

I have a book, somewhere, called What If We Had No Moon?, which examines several possible scenarios.  I think one of those scenarios was the same or similar to the one you describe.  Unfortunately, the book seems to be out of print.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

I found an article about it.  There seem to be a few out there, actually.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users