554 replies to this topic

#21 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 23 July 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

My understanding was that Bernie did not have enough delegates to win the Democratic primary, and for him to win would mean re-rewriting or ignoring the DMC rules.

The media hasn't covered this very well. Sanders is where FDR was in 1932. Delegates and superdelegates haven't cast their votes yet, nor will they until the convention next week. While Clinton may be presumed to be the candidate, she is not yet the candidate, but the DNC and the media treat her as if she is. If Sanders can pull off an FDR move, then he will be the candidate.

I had heard that he was "personally pro-life" yesterday, but was under the impression that it didn't affect his public policy... (like Joe Biden, another Catholic, was my understanding).

Tim Kaine was a poor choice, because this really tells feminists that we are expected to vote for Clinton no matter what. As governor of Virginia, Kaine made some very bad decisions about women's rights. He is also a Wall Street and TPP guy, so no for that too.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#22 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,601 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostOmega, on 22 July 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

Ranked voting has many forms, with different advantages and disadvantages. Some are nonmonotonic; ranking someone higher can hurt them. Bad idea. Others are difficult to explain in plain emglish; believe me, I've tried. Others are computationally impossible. And all require new voting machines.  
I don't get it, but I know that math moves in mysterious ways. Bottom line is that binary voting and the Electoral College must go.

View PostNonny, on 23 July 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

The media hasn't covered this very well. Sanders is where FDR was in 1932. Delegates and superdelegates haven't cast their votes yet, nor will they until the convention next week. While Clinton may be presumed to be the candidate, she is not yet the candidate, but the DNC and the media treat her as if she is. If Sanders can pull off an FDR move, then he will be the candidate.  
A development like this could improve my mood considerably.  I plan to vote for him either way, unless the general election looks like it will be uncomfortably close-- unlikely in Massachusetts.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#23 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

A very impressive start for the Democratic Convention. Booker, Warren, Bernie, all focused on board and scintillating. As for Ms. Obama..."Michelle, ma belle. Puts her words together very well", with apologies to The Beatles. The FLOTUS with the Mostest!

Edited by yadda yadda, 25 July 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#24 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:59 PM

When Michelle did her whole spiel about "I live in a house built by slaves." Was I the only one thinking: Nobody is forcing you to live there. You don't like living in a house built by slaves, then move the hell out.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:08 AM

Also, the DNC didn't disappoint. They had an illegal invader on their convention stage again. So much for not being able to find illegals. Not to mention, since the democrats support open border policies...I found it highly ironic that they erected a 4 mile, 8 foot high wall of fencing around their convention.

As for the illegal invader's claims of: Deportation rips families apart....Got news for you. ALL crime rips families apart. If a man robs a bank, gets caught and goes to jail, his family is ripped apart. That's what happens when you break the law.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:44 AM

Reality...so underrated and under appreciated these days.

#27 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:20 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 25 July 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

When Michelle did her whole spiel about "I live in a house built by slaves." Was I the only one thinking: Nobody is forcing you to live there. You don't like living in a house built by slaves, then move the hell out.

You and everyone else who didn't understand what she meant.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#28 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:18 AM

Well, I take the whole process with a grain of salt. Speeches are propaganda. Conventions are more about indoctrination and cracking the whip for the participants, and about appearances and large-scale commercial advertising where the general public is concerned.

The DNC is failing of its purpose, in that Sanders' supporters are feeling used and disgusted by a gerrymandered process that spat on the democratic process, and now has the cheek to try to tell them to suck it up.

Sanders has misjudged his own followers by backing Clinton. They don't want her, they don't want to be brought into the fold, and it's high time he realised that and ran as an independent.

The "stop Trump at any cost" mentality may end up costing the Democratic party any authenticity and legitimacy it has. The party is honestly divided, and seems to be in denial of the fact. The alternative is to be dishonestly united, and it looks like that's where we're headed.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#29 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 July 2016 - 12:08 AM, said:

As for the illegal invader's claims of: Deportation rips families apart....Got news for you. ALL crime rips families apart. If a man robs a bank, gets caught and goes to jail, his family is ripped apart. That's what happens when you break the law.

Sure, living in grinding poverty &/or surround by instability and violence like drug cartels and things - that is good for families.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#30 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 July 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Sure, living in grinding poverty &/or surround by instability and violence like drug cartels and things - that is good for families.

I never said it was. And if they want to immigrate over here, then that's fine. But do it legally. As I said before...ALL crime rips families apart.

#31 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

http://www.washingto...ary-clinton-ov/

Well, Hillary just lost the vote of everyone in law enforcement, and their families. That's got to be a first for a democrat.

#32 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Other than missing the entire point of the "house built by slaves reference", I'm wondering if you've given any thought as to why if those slaves didn't like having to build the White House, who the hell was forcing them to stay there? If they didn't like it why didn't they just drop their tools and move the hell out, like you're suggesting Michelle do? You know, just clock out while singing Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It!" and go have a picnic and watch their daughters play on the lawn with their dogs? Some things have fortunately really advanced in this country, and some things unfortunately have not really kept up.

#33 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

You're joking, right? Also how do YOU feel about the fact that the White House was built by slaves?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#34 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 27 July 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

You're joking, right? Also how do YOU feel about the fact that the White House was built by slaves?

QT

I don't agree, or approve, of any slavery. However unpalatable it may be though, it is a part of our history. And to be perfectly honest, til I heard Michelle say that complaint, I had no idea who had built the White House. I have no idea whether or not slaves built the capitol building, or the USSC house either.

Do I care about the fact that slaves built the White House? To be perfectly honest, not really. Slavery a couple hundred years ago. And while it most definitely should be taught and learned about in our schools, so that history doesn't repeat itself. Who built what buildings just doesn't interest me. But that is me.

I also wasn't on the national stage complaining about it. Like I said before, if Michelle has a problem living in a building built by slaves, nobody is forcing her to remain there. I also find it highly hypocritical of a democrat to speak out about slavery, since historically it was the democrats that were for Slavery, back during the civil war.

#35 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:56 PM

LOTS, are you that oblivious??  The First Lady was saying that the White House was built by Black slaves... yet a Black First Family was now inhabiting it.  A comment on Progress. NOT complaining about it.  Do you really not understand that??????
Cats will never be extinct!

#36 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

No, he really doesn't get it.  :(

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#37 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 27 July 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

QT

I don't agree, or approve, of any slavery. However unpalatable it may be though, it is a part of our history. And to be perfectly honest, til I heard Michelle say that complaint, I had no idea who had built the White House. I have no idea whether or not slaves built the capitol building, or the USSC house either.

Do I care about the fact that slaves built the White House? To be perfectly honest, not really. Slavery a couple hundred years ago. And while it most definitely should be taught and learned about in our schools, so that history doesn't repeat itself. Who built what buildings just doesn't interest me. But that is me.

I also wasn't on the national stage complaining about it. Like I said before, if Michelle has a problem living in a building built by slaves, nobody is forcing her to remain there. I also find it highly hypocritical of a democrat to speak out about slavery, since historically it was the democrats that were for Slavery, back during the civil war.

Welcome to White Privilege 101. Lucky you to not have to care who built the White House. For some us us, that fact speaks loudly to the character of the nation, and the progress we've made, and must never ever allow anyone to forget or pull us backwards.

Have you seen Free State of Jones?  Crappy movie, but a nice illumination of an untold story of history. Key moment of voter repression by Democrats. Funny how that is now the republican strategy. Or did you NEVER wonder how African Americans went from being almost exclusively Republican to being almost exclusively Democrats? Worth your while to investigate that odd migration before accusing an African American Democrat of hypocrisy. And I say that as an independent like Michael Bloomberg.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#38 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:07 AM

View PostQueenTiye, on 27 July 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

Welcome to White Privilege 101. Lucky you to not have to care who built the White House. For some us us, that fact speaks loudly to the character of the nation, and the progress we've made, and must never ever allow anyone to forget or pull us backwards.

Have you seen Free State of Jones?  Crappy movie, but a nice illumination of an untold story of history. Key moment of voter repression by Democrats. Funny how that is now the republican strategy. Or did you NEVER wonder how African Americans went from being almost exclusively Republican to being almost exclusively Democrats? Worth your while to investigate that odd migration before accusing an African American Democrat of hypocrisy. And I say that as an independent like Michael Bloomberg.

QT

White Privilege has nothing to do with it. I just don't care about who built what building. Knowing who built what buildings does nothing for me. It doesn't satisfy any curiosity I might have...unlike say Stonehenge, or how the pyramids were constructed back in the day. It doesn't put money in my pocket knowing it. So as a result, I've never paid much attention to it.

No, never saw Free State of Jones.

As for the migration of African Americans from Republican to Democrat, or the Democrat Party going from being pro slavery to where it is now...Never gave it much attention. But til recently, the last few years, didn't pay all that much attention to politics either. I would say after 9/11 happened, that's when I started paying more attention to politics.

#39 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostThemis, on 27 July 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

LOTS, are you that oblivious??  The First Lady was saying that the White House was built by Black slaves... yet a Black First Family was now inhabiting it.  A comment on Progress. NOT complaining about it.  Do you really not understand that??????

I guess that is one way of looking at it. It came across to me though as her playing the Race card.

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 28 July 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#40 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 27 July 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

QT

You have decided that racism does not affect you.

You have the privilege of deciding that racism doesn’t affect you.

You have the privilege of choosing to, or not to, learn about the insidious and invidious racist building blocks of our society, our culture.

Choosing to learn requires listening emphatically and empathically to a plurality of the voices of those who are affected by racism. People who are denied a choice in letting racism into their lives.

I have the privilege to decide, for myself, that you have nothing of substance to say on racism because of the above, because you seem to choose not to listen, not to learn.

I am white and have never been subjected to discrimination because of my complexion.

I haven’t decided racism doesn’t affect me, in fact I have decided that it does.

It is the same with rape or sexual assault, and homophobia.

Though I am more familiar with social issues that do affect me, among them misogyny and sexism.

Does one have to know everything regarding every social issue? No.

But realize you have the privilege of not having to deal with various -isms and –phobias and miso-s that are the bane of our society, our culture. If you want to become educated on these issues you have to listen to people knowledgeable by these issues.

One has to know what the problem is before one can speak knowledgeable about it. Few dispute this when it comes to math or science, why is it any different when it comes to racism and other oppressions?

And people affected by these issues know the issues better. However due to these social issues they are often not positioned well to express their experiences to, nor to be heard/seen by, people with privileges. Privileged persons should have less authority on the subject, but they often have more actual influence on discussions, and actions or inactions taken.

Sure, not all of any peoples’ diverse discussions or proposal are gold, but the caliber of those who have not lived these experiences are sorely lacking.

How do you recognize, discuss, or address racism? What are your solutions?

An “I don’t know” answer is fine. It is your attitude towards those trying to shared their lived experiences that leaves something to be desired. I would encourage you to listen and learn about these issues. You have the privilege to do so or not. And I mean privilege in both its negative and position connotations here.

Asking questions if fine too, if you want to learn. You get to choose and prioritize if, and what, you spend time on issues that don’t effect you.

But if you choose to not know or are not willing to learn but insist on loudly strong-arm your way into these discussions all you are doing is getting in the way of many people who do want to sincerely want to recognize and discuss issues, and to hopefully effect change.

For issues that don’t affect you, you sure seem to want to obstruct, obscure, distract, and deplete the efforts of people who are dealing with real issues that affect them.

Why? Is this fun for you? To take away attention, time and energy from those trying to create meaningful dialogue and change?

This is not a game for them.

This is not a game.

Edited by sierraleone, 29 July 2016 - 06:34 AM.

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, General election, Trump, Clinton, Democrats, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users