• Please log in to reply
554 replies to this topic

#41 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

When the Roger Ailes (until recently of Fox News) sexual harassment story first broke I had come across information that he was a friend of Trump.

Most of the pro-Ailes statements I have read were just along the likes of "I like / love Ailes, he has done a lot for me/Fox" and perhaps that they didn't see any misconduct personally...  They don't go into the accuser(s) or the accuser(s) relations with Ailes. Not Trump of course...

http://www.huffingto...4b02d5d5ed1ec82

“But he’s been a friend of mine for a long time,” Trump added. “And I can tell you that some of the women that are complaining, I know how much he’s helped them. And even recently. And when they write books that are fairly recently released, and they say wonderful things about him.

And now all of a sudden they’re saying these horrible things about him,” he continued. “It’s very sad. Because he’s a very good person. I’ve always found him to be just a very, very good person. And by the way, a very, very talented person. Look what he’s done. So I feel very badly.”

If he hasn't said the bolded part I'd just see it as the benign/neutral statement of a friend. Now Trump I don't expect to be up on what the dialogue is around rape or sexual assault and harassment now-a-days. However, characterizing the accusations as "complaints" which sound like a way to dismiss the allegations as nothing serious. And then describing, in the same sentence, how Ailes has benefiting them, as if that erases their allegations and/or views sexual harassment (and possibly worse) as normal and transactional in inter-gender relationships, and that these women should forget or forgive Ailes misbehaviour because he helped them...

Am I surprised Trump said this? No.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#42 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,027 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

It's okay, it's probably a joke.

#43 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Doesn't surprise me in the least that he would minimize and dismiss charges of sexual harassment against one of his buddies, a fellow member of the club. That's how he rolls, he's transactional regarding women. If he does or says or spends some money that he figures benefits a woman, he expects benefits in return. As for his supposedly exonerating circumstance that these Fox female employees had something positive or complimentary to say at some point about Ailes, so their "complaints" are somehow invalidated dovetails with his mindset and strategy in the Trump University lawsuit. He stressed how the student victims filled out positive reviews of the "curriculum" offered, thereby invalidating their subsequent complaints against him. He's a devious, squirrelly dude, no doubt.

Edited by yadda yadda, 29 July 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#44 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

http://www.hellertoon.com/main.html

- Masha Gessen

#45 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

I have thought Trump couldn't go any lower, and he hasn't surprised me on that point for a long while, until yesterday.

His response/comments to the speech from the parents of U.S. Army Captain Humayun Khan (who was awarded a Purple Heart) are disgusting. Even if the words of the father were 'fighting words' or something, there are much better ways to approach such a matter. It is not even worth my time explaining, because if this is something someone needs explaining.... I have no words....

Here is a Vox article if you have somehow missed this news item:
http://www.vox.com/2...ump-khan-muslim

I will say one thing though... Trump thinks he has sacrificed and/or know whats sacrifice is?! :howling: Doing things for your own ego or own betterment are not sacrifices. (Heck, it seems he hardly sacrificed time to raise his own kids.... and I just mean regular time like regular evenings or weekends... don't tell me he and them would have been in the poor house if he didn't :sarcasm: Though I think in this case this is to their benefit.).

Edited by sierraleone, 31 July 2016 - 11:20 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#46 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

It's what he does, and is allowed to do. He knows he hasn't sacrificed, so he interchanges the term "sacrifice" for "building structures" and "hiring thousands of people". It makes me sick to watch interviewers let him play them. They call him out for absolute false claims, and he skitters around and cuts them off by raising his voice or going off on unrelated tangents about his TV ratings or how he doesn't know Michael Bloomberg at all, but when informed he played golf against him, "well, yeah, ONCE!, and I hit the ball farther than he did, by far" Nobody ever follows up or holds his feet to the fire on his lies. They just let him bluster and blather.

As for his comments regarding the Khan family, he is a disgusting, self-infatuated vile human being. A true sociopath incapable of empathy or having any sincere interest or caring about anyone but himself.

#47 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

And I'm having a hard time deciding which example of Trump's vileness is more egregious and emblematic of his craven dearth of character or shame. Was it mocking the disabled reporter by jerking his arms around and distorting his speech? Or was it mocking the grief stricken Muslim Gold Star mother for not speaking while her husband addressed the Dem convention, insinuating that somehow her faith or culture was muzzling her? I don't know. This piece of sh!t is so overwhelmingly vile and shameless, it's hard to differentiate the relative degrees of his vileness.

Edited by yadda yadda, 31 July 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#48 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:02 PM

I'm surprised no one takes Trump to court for libel, slander, defamation, you name it.

Maybe they're just waiting for the IRS to do that.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#49 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

Mike Pence says basically that Roe v Wade will be overturned if he and Donald get a chance to reshape the Supreme Court.

http://touch.latimes...e/p2p-87982516/

I guess half of the population having and using their general or bodily autonomy as they determine is wise is impudent at best :mellow:

- Masha Gessen

#50 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:10 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 31 July 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

It's what he does, and is allowed to do. He knows he hasn't sacrificed, so he interchanges the term "sacrifice" for "building structures" and "hiring thousands of people". It makes me sick to watch interviewers let him play them. They call him out for absolute false claims, and he skitters around and cuts them off by raising his voice or going off on unrelated tangents about his TV ratings or how he doesn't know Michael Bloomberg at all, but when informed he played golf against him, "well, yeah, ONCE!, and I hit the ball farther than he did, by far" Nobody ever follows up or holds his feet to the fire on his lies. They just let him bluster and blather.

As for his comments regarding the Khan family, he is a disgusting, self-infatuated vile human being. A true sociopath incapable of empathy or having any sincere interest or caring about anyone but himself.

CNN is as guilty of this as any network. Why someone doesn't hold their nuts to the fire for being such toadying sycophants is beyond me. It probably has something to do with ratings.

Which raises the question, Who's the true sociopath, here?

#51 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:57 AM

All the "news" networks are pretty much equally guilty of it. The most cutting, bold, and accurate commentary comes from the comedy/satire media like the Daily Show and Nightly Show on Comedy Central, Samantha Bee on TBS, John Oliver and Bill Maher on HBO. I think Trump is the true sociopath, the "journalists on CNN were his enablers, whoring out their journalistic integrity for a chance to bask in the harsh and tawdry light of ratings along with their colleagues in circus sideshow reporting over at Fox. Trump is the queen of the ball. Hannity, O'Reilly, Blitzer, and the rest are court jesters and lickspittles, dancing and playing the fool as they try to throw our democracy out with the slops.

#52 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 02 August 2016 - 02:57 AM, said:

The most cutting, bold, and accurate commentary comes from the comedy/satire media like the Daily Show and Nightly Show on Comedy Central, Samantha Bee on TBS, John Oliver and Bill Maher on HBO.

Add Colbert to that list, and Seth Myers.  They've done some great stuff on their show openings.

I think the tide may have turned a bit on CNN.  They kept replaying the "I've sacrificed" clips on the Sunday shows and Fareed Zakaria has let him have it.  I think the CNN Sunday morning shows are a bit more serious than the daily fare and they're what I usually watch on that channel.  Then I turn over to BBC World News!
Cats will never be extinct!

#53 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

So now we have President Obama laying out the case for Trump being unfit for the office of president and calling out Ryan, McConnell, and McCain for their continuing hypocrisy for denouncing Trump's vile, racist and unhinged statements almost weekly, yet not withdrawing their endorsement and support of him.

I can't wait for Trump's inevitable tweet barrage and verbal response. Maybe his head will explode, or he'll launch himself off a rhetorical cliff once and for all. It seems like the heavy hitters, Obama, Warren Buffet, and others are determined to test Hillary's observation that Trump is too easily baited, too temperamentally volatile. I wonder if Trump might be angered and excited enough to drop his nuclear option on Obama...finally release those blockbuster findings his crack investigative squad assembled while in Hawaii, ferreting out Obama's true secret African birthplace.  :)

Edited by yadda yadda, 02 August 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#54 Omega

Omega

• 4,027 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

I think they're all playing a bigger game. Nate Silver gives Hillary 2:1 odds of winning. The Senate is the bigger question right now. And the GOP leadership's divide with Trump is a perfect pressure point to just. Keep. Hammering. They're in an untennable position.

#55 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostOmega, on 02 August 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

I think they're all playing a bigger game. Nate Silver gives Hillary 2:1 odds of winning. The Senate is the bigger question right now. And the GOP leadership's divide with Trump is a perfect pressure point to just. Keep. Hammering. They're in an untennable position.

This.  I agree.  They are making the connection between Trump and Republicans in Congress [Not republicans in the electorate, which is an important distinction here.]  The crazier Trump gets, the more seats in the House and Senate slip from their hands [oh did I just channel Princess Leia?]

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#56 Omega

Omega

• 4,027 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

And Trump is now attacking Ryan and McCain!

#57 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostOmega, on 02 August 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

And Trump is now attacking Ryan and McCain!

I think this is the best outcome we could hope for.  Attacking Republicans will alienate GOP voters who are not Trump fans.  People might not vote them out of office, but they will split the ticket and not vote for Trump.  He is not going to help any down-ticket Republican and I think they are now waking up to that fact.  To get his support they'd all have to sell their souls like Chris Christie did, and people like McCain and Ryan won't do that.  But, they also can't continue to walk the line like they have been.

Trump is already laying the foundation for his eventual loss.  I don't think he'll do the debates.  I can't imagine him being on a stage, in a debate with possibly the most prepared and knowledgeable policy wonk on the planet, and a woman, and face the humiliation that awaits him if he shows up.

Trump is basically sabotaging his own candidacy, and it is really obvious now.  When he loses he'll blame Republicans who didn't support him and Hillary fixing the election, and anyone else he can think of.  In his mind, he won't have lost, he'll have been cheated.. and his brand will survive.  he'll be impossible to predict post-election though.  A losing Trump is as scary as a President Trump in many ways.

Source:

#58 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

Interesting theory, Cait.  If Trump does do the debates, they'll be must-see tv.  One candidate answering with facts and plans, the other with bravado, bragging, innuendo and insults.  I'm really having a hard time imagining that.  You'd think he'd be happy some seem to be scheduled opposite football games.  (And Trump, have you not heard of time shifting and dvr's???  People can actually watch football as it happens and then watch the debate...)
Cats will never be extinct!

#59 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostThemis, on 02 August 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 02 August 2016 - 02:57 AM, said:

The most cutting, bold, and accurate commentary comes from the comedy/satire media like the Daily Show and Nightly Show on Comedy Central, Samantha Bee on TBS, John Oliver and Bill Maher on HBO.

Add Colbert to that list, and Seth Myers.  They've done some great stuff on their show openings.

I think the tide may have turned a bit on CNN.  They kept replaying the "I've sacrificed" clips on the Sunday shows and Fareed Zakaria has let him have it.  I think the CNN Sunday morning shows are a bit more serious than the daily fare and they're what I usually watch on that channel.  Then I turn over to BBC World News!

You have to remember that there are literally two CNN's: one is no better than Fox Entertainment, the other is the real news network. The one with all the celebrity talking heads is just painful to watch and listen to. It's mainly there for ratings, and for drumming up enough money to keep both versions in the black.

#60 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostThemis, on 02 August 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

Interesting theory, Cait.  If Trump does do the debates, they'll be must-see tv.  One candidate answering with facts and plans, the other with bravado, bragging, innuendo and insults.  I'm really having a hard time imagining that.  You'd think he'd be happy some seem to be scheduled opposite football games.  (And Trump, have you not heard of time shifting and dvr's???  People can actually watch football as it happens and then watch the debate...)

I just think he is too much of a coward to face Hillary.  Being humiliated by a woman, even just the possibility of being humiliated by a woman, isn't something he will ever do.  And, he can't catch up with her policy wise.  She is just too well informed, she really is.  Like her policies, or hate them, she is a policy wonk and knows how to articulate a policy position.  It isn't poetry [as she said], but in a debate, I think she is pretty much unstoppable.  

Even Obama had his work cut out for him in the debates back during the primaries of 2008, and Trump is no Obama.

Nor can advisors whip into shape [like they tried to do with Sarah Palin], so he can make  decent showing.  He will be totally out of his depth.

I agree tho, it would be must see TV.

Source:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, General election, Trump, Clinton, Democrats, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users