#521 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 November 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 26 November 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Case in point, LoTS posted a linked article earlier on the board from 'The Denver Guardian', a known fake news right wing propaganda website masquerading as a true news organization. It was a story about some fictitious FBI agent committing murder-suicide and burning down his house. This make-believe agent was supposedly investigating the HRC e-mail case and the story's insinuation was that the make-believe deaths were similar to suspicious incidents where "opponents" of Clinton ended up dead, possibly to hush them up. LoTS posted this link with the comment that maybe James Comey might end up similarly silenced, having committed suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head twice. LoTS was called out immediately by someone informing him that the link and info was bogus, but he did not respond. I have brought it to his attention twice, asking if he was aware it was false information that he had linked. He has failed to respond either time.

Oh for crying out loud...I posted that link, and my comments (Which should've been obvious to just about anyone that I was being sarcastic) as a joke. I KNOW Liberals don't really GET sarcasm, but sarcasm is a form of humor. Granted, most of the time it is not politically correct...perhaps that's why liberals don't get it? I don't know.

Liberals? There are no Liberals. The Democratic Party is just slightly Left of Centre, but only because so many Dems are idiots who go for that religion nonsense.

"Liberal" is a Righty derogatory remark. It's on a par with calling a black person a coon.

Religion is the problem with the Right. Once you've committed yourself to any idiot belief, you've effectively committed intellectual suicide.

Underneath its pretty, fake exterior, Christianity is Fascism, and the more religious a person is, the more Fascist they become.

Religion is Fascism sold in a pretty candy wrapper, whose eaters are sucked into believing that something yummy is underneath that wrapper.

The terms Christian and Tolerant do not go together. Anyone who claims otherwise is either ill-informed, or lying to themselves, or drank the Kool-Ade and now can't tell the difference.

Jesus = Love is the propaganda that most Christians believe, and they are invariably the Sunday-Weekend-Warriors who never bother to read the  fine print.

The Big Lie is in doing a little selective reading from The Book, and cherry-picking the stuff that's non-violent, that doesn't go against your sensibilities. However, like joining the Nazi movement back in the 1930's because you bought into Hitler's Make Germany Great Again rhetoric, there are all those other people belonging to the SAME religion, who DID read all the fine print, and are primed and ready to do despicable things because of it. And like it or not, you've thrown your lot in with a lot of Haters.

That's essentially what it is to be Republican these days.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#522 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 November 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 26 November 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Case in point, LoTS posted a linked article earlier on the board from 'The Denver Guardian', a known fake news right wing propaganda website masquerading as a true news organization. It was a story about some fictitious FBI agent committing murder-suicide and burning down his house. This make-believe agent was supposedly investigating the HRC e-mail case and the story's insinuation was that the make-believe deaths were similar to suspicious incidents where "opponents" of Clinton ended up dead, possibly to hush them up. LoTS posted this link with the comment that maybe James Comey might end up similarly silenced, having committed suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head twice. LoTS was called out immediately by someone informing him that the link and info was bogus, but he did not respond. I have brought it to his attention twice, asking if he was aware it was false information that he had linked. He has failed to respond either time.

Oh for crying out loud...I posted that link, and my comments (Which should've been obvious to just about anyone that I was being sarcastic) as a joke. I KNOW Liberals don't really GET sarcasm, but sarcasm is a form of humor. Granted, most of the time it is not politically correct...perhaps that's why liberals don't get it? I don't know.

Really, a joke? Sarcasm? I guess I'll have to go back and find that post and quote it so all can see your supposed sarcasm emojis? To my recollection it seemed like a fairly straightforward serious post of yours. Kind of like when Trump exhorted his rally crowd to consider 2nd Amendment remedies on Clinton and her potential USSC nominees? But then when called on it it was all just a joke for him? How convenient. Since I obviously don't share your high level keen and cutting sense of humor and am saddled with my humorless failing of actually taking people's expressed words at face value, please tell me...should I assume that every thing you say and every link you post here is just you being all silly and opposite of the actual intent?

#523 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

Why is religion Fascist? This is something that seldom gets talked about these days.

WW the First turned a lot of people off religion for a number of reasons. A good many soldiers lost their faith because the War in and of itself, but also largely because of the religious propaganda that was aimed squarely at them. They were set upon by priest-propagandists whose job it was to get them into a fighting frame of mind. At the same time they were indoctrinated through ceremony, where some tool would read bum poetry, like In Flanders' Fields (in WW Part the Second).

Remove the propaganda from In Flanders' Fields, and you get something like,

In Flanders' Fields the corpses rot,
Between the crosses, plot by plot,
While in the sky, the crows and buzzards fly,
Scarce heard by suckers as they're shot.

Take up our quarrel with . . . er . . . people just like us,
etc.

That was the thing that disgusted soldiers most- that the guys on the other side were being told the exact same things: we're fighting for freedom; Dog is on our side; and blah, blah, blah.

Religion is indistinguishable from the military, and there is a reason for that: the two entities have always had an incestuous relationship. Religion is very useful when it comes to conditioning young men to be murderous thugs. Also, religion is all about authority, and works endlessly toward becoming the SOLE authority. It is built into Christianity to work towards turning society into a Christian theocracy. Spread the word. Increase the size of the zombie hordes. Keep at it long enough, and eventually we'll rule the world again.

And what kind of a world was that world? What kind of world is a Theocracy? It's a Fascist world, with decrees enforced by the military.

Religions like Christianity have one single aim. That aim is to make the world Christian. A Christian world is a Fascist world. Fascism is about power. Power doesn't give a rat's arse about Reason: it simply wants to have its own way, like a petulant child.

And so it goes.

Edited by gsmonks, 26 November 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#524 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 07 November 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

http://denverguardia...murder-suicide/

Perhaps Comey didn't want to end up like this FBI agent???

Although, if Hillary wins, it wouldn't surprise me at all to read one morning that Comey committed suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head 2 or 3 times. :sarcasm:

OK, granted there's a rolley-eyes indicator on your comment on Comey shooting himself 2 or 3 times in the back of the head, because most folks would understand that's black humor since it would be an extraordinary accomplishment to follow through on.

But the presentation of the link from The Denver Guardian is straightforward, and the subsequent comment of "Perhaps Comey didn't want to end up like this agent???" appears to legitimize the link.

And if you did post the link knowing it was false, why would you not label it as such, or admit to it being bogus after being called out on it? It doesn't make sense that you didn't believe it to be true.

I still don't see any element of sarcasm in the first two statements, even though I've been assured by you that it's there. I guess I'm going to have to start exercising the old funny bone, watch some of that madcap Fox News to be in on the inside jokes.

Edited by yadda yadda, 26 November 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#525 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 November 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

Unrelated to this theory, a worse thing I have read is that if information is presented to people debunking their "facts"/beliefs, it actually makes people cling to false information and beliefs more. How do you fix THAT? What hope is there if they just close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears, and raise their voice?
Yeah, this is the real terrifying thing.  There's literally *no* way to change their minds.  Only people who agree with them are speaking truth, so by the very fact that you don't agree with them is "proof" that you're lying.  And the ones who are the worst are also the ones who are home-schooling their children to avoid exposing them to ideas outside of their approved fiction, so the cycle can only continue.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#526 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

Onward Christian Soldiers, Marching On To War . . .

Sieg Heil.

#527 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

View PostNiko, on 26 November 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

And the ones who are the worst are also the ones who are home-schooling their children to avoid exposing them to ideas outside of their approved fiction, so the cycle can only continue.

So true.  If the kids go to a public (as opposed to religious) university, they may get quite a shock.  Wonder if any of the households get the local daily newspaper - and if they hide it away?
Cats will never be extinct!

#528 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 26 November 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

And if you did post the link knowing it was false, why would you not label it as such, or admit to it being bogus after being called out on it? It doesn't make sense that you didn't believe it to be true.

posting that it's a fake news article, while making a sarcastic joke about him shooting himself twice in the back of the head, while his death being called a suicide, kind of ruins the whole sarcastic joke. As to why I didn't answer back when called out on it....Alright, since you asked you're mature enough for the answer. Here it is:

I was actually shocked that people thought I was serious with that sarcastic joke. Hell, a 5 year old would've rolled their eyes at it. They might not have gotten the sarcasm, but definitely would've rolled their eyes. The fact that people here were taking it THAT seriously was dumbfounding....And then I remembered I was dealing with Liberals. And once THAT fact set it, the rest was history as they say. Dealing with Liberals who were butthurt about ANYTHING tarnishing their savior Hillary, and it was apparent that no possible explanation would've soothed the butt hurt. So I just chose, to borrow a phrase from Obama, move on.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#529 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 November 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 26 November 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

posting that it's a fake news article, while making a sarcastic joke about him shooting himself twice in the back of the head, while his death being called a suicide, kind of ruins the whole sarcastic joke. As to why I didn't answer back when called out on it....Alright, since you asked you're mature enough for the answer. Here it is:

I was actually shocked that people thought I was serious with that sarcastic joke. Hell, a 5 year old would've rolled their eyes at it. They might not have gotten the sarcasm, but definitely would've rolled their eyes. The fact that people here were taking it THAT seriously was dumbfounding....And then I remembered I was dealing with Liberals. And once THAT fact set it, the rest was history as they say. Dealing with Liberals who were butthurt about ANYTHING tarnishing their savior Hillary, and it was apparent that no possible explanation would've soothed the butt hurt. So I just chose, to borrow a phrase from Obama, move on.

I think you're full of it, just like your Fuhrer-elect. Not buying any of his cons nor yours either. Or am I being sarcastic? I'll just keep you in suspense.

#530 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

View PostThemis, on 26 November 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostNiko, on 26 November 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

And the ones who are the worst are also the ones who are home-schooling their children to avoid exposing them to ideas outside of their approved fiction, so the cycle can only continue.

So true.  If the kids go to a public (as opposed to religious) university, they may get quite a shock.  Wonder if any of the households get the local daily newspaper - and if they hide it away?

I have a brother who is one of those: born-again nutter, home-schools his kids, subscribes to racist websites such as Jew Watch, Conservative because of the religion b.s. built into the party, is all Law & Order on the one hand, and is a heavy pot-smoker on the other . . .

Just talking and behaving the way he does cut him off from sensible people and family. You can't say that he deliberately surrounded himself with like-minded people: he just kind of fell into it over a long period of time. Conspiracy-theorist had a chance meeting with a conspiracy-theorist on a ferry deck or in a coffee shop, they had an, "I know! I thought I was the only one who just knew this!" moment, and like pieces of poo in a room full of non-stick ping pong balls, enough chance meetings of poo caused the poo to form a big ball.

People like this are too self-involved, too suspicious of everything, and too dim-witted, to have anything like intent ascribed to their demographic. So while it appears from the outside that some force is at work to bring them together, that force is mainly about the physical laws surrounding little balls of poo, rather than intent.

It's not even a matter of the age-old "birds of a feather" adage, because birds of a feather actively seek one another out by way of instinct. There's no instinct that causes nutters to group together- it's quite the opposite, in fact. They tend to be driven together by outside forces, the way prostitutes are driven to work only in certain areas.

The areas themselves can be characterised as "areas of exceptional tolerances". "Okay, look, there's only one area where we will tolerate this sort of thing, and it's over here."

There are elements of both when it comes to organised religion. Religion nutters keep a lot of their idiot beliefs to themselves, except for the "areas of exceptional tolerances" we refer to as churches, mosques, synagogues, all the usual suspects.

You think this isn't true? Then you haven't had much exposure to Jehovah's Witlesses, Faith "Healers", and other noisy types. The type that stands quietly to one side of a busy downtown sidewalk, usually in pairs, holding up copies of Watchtower, and similar forms of propaganda. At one time they'd be standing on a soapbox, haranguing passers-by and bearing placards saying The End Is Nigh! But they've learned to be quiet and meek in order to fly under the radar.

There is something called "the mainstream of ideas", and this is something the types in question actively work to demonise, in order to separate themselves from the very outside ideas that represent the kind of scrutiny that would lead to someone from the outside breaking down the door and taking their kids away.

I myself refer to it as "intellectual inbreeding".

#531 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Trump has put Myron Ebell, a climate-change denier who’s been paid by Exxon Mobil and the Koch brothers, in charge of the Environmental Protection Agency.

#532 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

Sarcasm does not translate easily in text, this is why many people tend to add that they were being sarcastic. A little note of: "Sarcasm intended" does not ruin a joke.

So, the best you could do was lump yadda into the Liberal pool? Never mind the fact that he has said several times that he is not a Liberal and has criticized Hillary, you call him a Liberal "butthurt about ANYTHING tarnishing their savior Hillary", because...? Kiddie pool, LoTS.

And this lumping of people just really annoys the heck out of me. One thing, real or imagined, brands an entire group, whether it's belief, race, sex, age, sexual preference, etc... just one thing happens with one person and the weak argument brands them all. No actual thought or discussion required. In this case, you got annoyed because your joke didn't come across as intended, and since you are a *Conservative, it was obvious that yadda is an ignorant Liberal. Then, boom! You have your reason for why he didn't get that you were being sarcastic. It wasn't any failing on your part, it was simply Liberal stupidity.
yadda is a big boy, you could have simply addressed him for not understanding. He could have taken it, and you wouldn't need to go back to the kiddie pool. A coming together of minds, and you both might have had a good laugh when was said and done.

* Anyone who speaks about Liberals the way you do, might as well just admit he is a Conservative. There is no hope, you've been taken, your pod is almost ready to hatch. :lol:
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#533 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:48 PM

Pod? As in Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

#534 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:54 AM

View PostElara, on 27 November 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

So, the best you could do was lump yadda into the Liberal pool? Never mind the fact that he has said several times that he is not a Liberal and has criticized Hillary, you call him a Liberal "butthurt about ANYTHING tarnishing their savior Hillary", because...? Kiddie pool, LoTS.

And this lumping of people just really annoys the heck out of me. One thing, real or imagined, brands an entire group, whether it's belief, race, sex, age, sexual preference, etc... just one thing happens with one person and the weak argument brands them all. No actual thought or discussion required. In this case, you got annoyed because your joke didn't come across as intended, and since you are a *Conservative, it was obvious that yadda is an ignorant Liberal. Then, boom! You have your reason for why he didn't get that you were being sarcastic. It wasn't any failing on your part, it was simply Liberal stupidity.
yadda is a big boy, you could have simply addressed him for not understanding. He could have taken it, and you wouldn't need to go back to the kiddie pool. A coming together of minds, and you both might have had a good laugh when was said and done.

* Anyone who speaks about Liberals the way you do, might as well just admit he is a Conservative. There is no hope, you've been taken, your pod is almost ready to hatch. :lol:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, with the "Liberal butt hurt" comment. But having dealt with Liberals in real life, who are extremely butt hurt about Hillary loosing, and then dealing with Liberals on this board....perhaps I was a tad bit harsh. As for lumping everyone together....Perhaps now you begin to grasp how those who disagreed with the Left felt? For years now, almost 8 to be exact, we've been labeled racist, xenophobic, sexist, you name it, if we even dared SUGGEST we might not agree with the Leftist positions.

Why do you think MOST of the polls were wrong? I told this board why, long before the election, and was scoffed at for saying it. When the pollsters called, people didn't want the pollsters labeling them as racist, sexist, what nots...so they lied to the pollsters. Said they weren't voting Trump, when all the while they knew they were.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#535 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:04 AM

There are no "Liberals". There are centrists (the people you're mis-calling "liberals"), and there are Fascists (the people on the so-called "right", who don't give a rat's arse about facts, and simply want to have their own way.

The term "Liberal" is derogatory when it comes from a Righty, and is no different from calling a black person a "coon", or an oriental person a "chink".

"Liberal butt hurt" is like saying, "take it up the ass, coon!"

Today's Rightys are unfortunately Straussian Fascists, Alt-Right White Supremacist-Fascists, Neo-Con Religious Fascists, small "f" fascists, or just plain Fascists.

The term "Liberal" means one thing when a Democrat says it, and something else entirely when a Righty says it.

When a Democrat says it, it means, "A person who favours a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties."

When a Righty says it, it means, "White Coon".

Read the definition, LoTS. Only a Fascist could possibly be against "a person who favours a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties".

Fascists don't believe in civil liberties. Civil liberties are the only thing you could possibly be against in the Liberal world.

Are you against civil liberties? Do you even know what civil liberties are?

Civil Liberties are:

(1) "One's freedom to exercise one's rights as guaranteed under the laws of the country."

(2) "Fundamental individual right protected by law and expressed as immunity from unwarranted governmental interference."

The only thing we could be talking about is re-instituting Hate. Is that what you're about? Hating people with non-standard sexual orientation? Minorities? Particular ethnicities? Taking away their rights so that mindless thugs can persecute them again?

#536 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:55 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 28 November 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

View PostElara, on 27 November 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, with the "Liberal butt hurt" comment. But having dealt with Liberals in real life, who are extremely butt hurt about Hillary loosing, and then dealing with Liberals on this board....perhaps I was a tad bit harsh. As for lumping everyone together....Perhaps now you begin to grasp how those who disagreed with the Left felt? For years now, almost 8 to be exact, we've been labeled racist, xenophobic, sexist, you name it, if we even dared SUGGEST we might not agree with the Leftist positions.

Why do you think MOST of the polls were wrong? I told this board why, long before the election, and was scoffed at for saying it. When the pollsters called, people didn't want the pollsters labeling them as racist, sexist, what nots...so they lied to the pollsters. Said they weren't voting Trump, when all the while they knew they were.

Hey LoTS, in the spirit of my LIBERAL butt-hurtedness and your CONSERVATIVE butt-headedness coming together in peace for the holiday season, I'll be happy to sub in for you and write your replies to all these Leftist ELITE loosers here who assail your views if you're too busy out buying presents, stringing lights, trimming your tree, or spray painting something. I could kinda be your PR wingman, your Kellyanne Conway so to speak. Having read all your arguments over and over for years now I think I've got your patter down pretty much RIGHT on (alluding to your right leanings...kinda-sorta a joke :)) and am willing to step in and cover for you when these Leftists here start labeling you as racist, xenophobic, sexist, whatever. Loosers...  Just say the word and I'll be happy to step in as the John Miller / John Barron to your Trump.

Edited by yadda yadda, 28 November 2016 - 04:56 AM.

#537 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 November 2016 - 04:55 AM, said:

Hey LoTS, in the spirit of my LIBERAL butt-hurtedness and your CONSERVATIVE butt-headedness coming together in peace for the holiday season, I'll be happy to sub in for you and write your replies to all these Leftist ELITE loosers here who assail your views if you're too busy out buying presents, stringing lights, trimming your tree, or spray painting something. I could kinda be your PR wingman, your Kellyanne Conway so to speak. Having read all your arguments over and over for years now I think I've got your patter down pretty much RIGHT on (alluding to your right leanings...kinda-sorta a joke :)) and am willing to step in and cover for you when these Leftists here start labeling you as racist, xenophobic, sexist, whatever. Loosers...  Just say the word and I'll be happy to step in as the John Miller / John Barron to your Trump.

ROFL!

Now THAT would be interesting, to say the least. I have no doubt you would be able to do it.

#538 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

Well, I have to admit there were times during the campaign months that something would happen and I just KNEW what your reaction and response would be, so I waited till you checked in on it or posted a link and comment and it was almost exactly what I figured it would be. It would be a hoot to post some link as your stand in, but that would mean slogging through the swamp of right wing sources to report on and Lord knows I don't want to contract Fox Malaria or Limbaugh Lunacy Syndrome through too close contact. But who knows, maybe something will pop up and for fun I can take a shot at putting words in your mouth like you've done so many times for me and other Leftist loosers around here...   ;)

#539 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,449 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

Unrelated to this theory, a worse thing I have read is that if information is presented to people debunking their "facts"/beliefs, it actually makes people cling to false information and beliefs more. How do you fix THAT? What hope is there if they just close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears, and raise their voice?

John Oliver actually mentioned this in one of his segments though I can't remember which one. He said that belief has become more important than fact. He showed two clips. The first was some popular Republican (can't remember if he was a politician or media personality) being interviewed who said the economy was worse under Obama than Bush. When the reporter said that the economy was recovering the Republican said that while it may be factually recovering he didn't truly believe that. It didn't feel like a recovery. The next guy was some celebrity (again, can't remember if it was an actor or a musician or athlete or what) who said that Obama was a Muslim. The reporter said that Obama was a Christian and that there was proof of that but the celebrity said that he didn't care. He believed in his heart that Obama was a Muslim and that's all that mattered.

It's a scary world when no one cares about facts anymore. I'm not saying that it's just conservatives who have this problem. It's a problem for liberals, as well. However, nothing will be done about it because people like seeing articles or news reports that agree with them. I'm just as guilty, though I like to think that I do try and get multiple perspectives on an issue. Not everyone does, though. My parents are conservative and basically only watch Fox News. When I told my mom one of the reasons I wasn't supporting Trump was because of his comment about undoing gay marriage and the fact that Pence was virulently anti-LGBT she was shocked. She had no idea about any of that.

When the pollsters called, people didn't want the pollsters labeling them as racist, sexist, what nots...so they lied to the pollsters. Said they weren't voting Trump, when all the while they knew they were.

I've tried to make sure that I don't lump in all Trump or Republican supporters with the racist, sexist, homophobic nutjobs out there. I know that not everyone who voted for Trump is a horrible person that hates everyone that's not straight and white. However, there is a large segment of them that Trump and the Republicans have catered to and have given prominence to in their party.

If some people get upset at being called out on their racist, sexist, homophobic views then tough. I'm sorry, but as a gay man in American I've been called a fag, a sissy, a pedophile, queer, an abomination, etc. That's been my life. If all the people who said those things are now being called on it, that makes me happy.

I was out with friends the other night. All of us were gay. The two women are in a relationship. They held hands, kissed each other, and otherwise acted affectionate. Not as openly affectionate as straight couples can act, but still affectionate. Later my gay male friend rubbed my back because I wasn't feeling well. When he did that, and every time the couple did anything affectionate I tensed up, expecting someone to either verbally or physically attack us. Part of me wanted to tell them to stop being affectionate, and I hated myself for even thinking it. That's the kind of world I live in because of those people who don't want to be labeled as racist, or sexist, or homophobic. Those are the people in power now, and that's why a lot of people are scared.

It's not just liberals whining because we're crybabies and can't accept that Trump won. It's because he ran a campaign that tapped into the dark, ugly side of humanity and he attacked anyone who wasn't straight, white, and Christian. He is surrounding himself now with people who have said or hold views that are extremely anti-LGBT and pretty much anti-anything not straight, white, and Christian. You can tell me I'm just as bad by labeling these people as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. but I'm not doing it just to be petty or to whine. I'm doing it because this is what they are. Just look at Pence's record when it comes to the LGBT community.

I have no problem with people not liking gays. That's their life and they can like or dislike whatever the hell they want to. I have a problem when they take their dislike of gays and try and turn it into policy that makes me and everyone like me a second class citizen with limited rights. Is it fair that I ca be fired, or tossed out of an apartment, or be denied service in a store open to the public, simply because I like men instead of women? You don't see me campaigning to limit the rights of, say, the KKK even though I hate that group and wish they would all go crawl back under a rock and die.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#540 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 28 November 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

John Oliver actually mentioned this in one of his segments though I can't remember which one. He said that belief has become more important than fact. He showed two clips. The first was some popular Republican (can't remember if he was a politician or media personality) being interviewed who said the economy was worse under Obama than Bush. When the reporter said that the economy was recovering the Republican said that while it may be factually recovering he didn't truly believe that. It didn't feel like a recovery. The next guy was some celebrity (again, can't remember if it was an actor or a musician or athlete or what) who said that Obama was a Muslim. The reporter said that Obama was a Christian and that there was proof of that but the celebrity said that he didn't care. He believed in his heart that Obama was a Muslim and that's all that mattered.

It's a scary world when no one cares about facts anymore. I'm not saying that it's just conservatives who have this problem. It's a problem for liberals, as well. However, nothing will be done about it because people like seeing articles or news reports that agree with them. I'm just as guilty, though I like to think that I do try and get multiple perspectives on an issue. Not everyone does, though. My parents are conservative and basically only watch Fox News. When I told my mom one of the reasons I wasn't supporting Trump was because of his comment about undoing gay marriage and the fact that Pence was virulently anti-LGBT she was shocked. She had no idea about any of that.

When the pollsters called, people didn't want the pollsters labeling them as racist, sexist, what nots...so they lied to the pollsters. Said they weren't voting Trump, when all the while they knew they were.

I've tried to make sure that I don't lump in all Trump or Republican supporters with the racist, sexist, homophobic nutjobs out there. I know that not everyone who voted for Trump is a horrible person that hates everyone that's not straight and white. However, there is a large segment of them that Trump and the Republicans have catered to and have given prominence to in their party.

If some people get upset at being called out on their racist, sexist, homophobic views then tough. I'm sorry, but as a gay man in American I've been called a fag, a sissy, a pedophile, queer, an abomination, etc. That's been my life. If all the people who said those things are now being called on it, that makes me happy.

I was out with friends the other night. All of us were gay. The two women are in a relationship. They held hands, kissed each other, and otherwise acted affectionate. Not as openly affectionate as straight couples can act, but still affectionate. Later my gay male friend rubbed my back because I wasn't feeling well. When he did that, and every time the couple did anything affectionate I tensed up, expecting someone to either verbally or physically attack us. Part of me wanted to tell them to stop being affectionate, and I hated myself for even thinking it. That's the kind of world I live in because of those people who don't want to be labeled as racist, or sexist, or homophobic. Those are the people in power now, and that's why a lot of people are scared.

It's not just liberals whining because we're crybabies and can't accept that Trump won. It's because he ran a campaign that tapped into the dark, ugly side of humanity and he attacked anyone who wasn't straight, white, and Christian. He is surrounding himself now with people who have said or hold views that are extremely anti-LGBT and pretty much anti-anything not straight, white, and Christian. You can tell me I'm just as bad by labeling these people as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. but I'm not doing it just to be petty or to whine. I'm doing it because this is what they are. Just look at Pence's record when it comes to the LGBT community.

I have no problem with people not liking gays. That's their life and they can like or dislike whatever the hell they want to. I have a problem when they take their dislike of gays and try and turn it into policy that makes me and everyone like me a second class citizen with limited rights. Is it fair that I ca be fired, or tossed out of an apartment, or be denied service in a store open to the public, simply because I like men instead of women? You don't see me campaigning to limit the rights of, say, the KKK even though I hate that group and wish they would all go crawl back under a rock and die.

This.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, General election, Trump, Clinton, Democrats, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users