• Please log in to reply
554 replies to this topic

#541 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

I find it hard to muster up a lot of sympathy for those on the conservative side saying "don't lump me in with those people!"

Doesn't our society frequently lump people who are muslims in with those rare extremist among them who are terrorists?

And we say to people who are muslims: Why don't you denounce them? Do more! Be vigilant and stamp out the budding/actual terrorists among you!

Re: bigotry in American. I don't think the response is dis-proportionate to the problem yet. Basically conservatives are being called out on the bigotry in their midst. I am going to try to not participate in broad sweeping generalizations of conservatives, because not all deserve it, and it isn't true of all of them. But, maybe, just maybe, try to take the advice we have been giving muslims for years? And consider yourself lucky, as speaking up to expose/oppose bigoted views in America (soft/hard, overt/covert, etc) is not likely to be usually nearly as dangerous as speaking up against radical terrorism in a war-torn country. Just saying.

Edited by sierraleone, 28 November 2016 - 07:47 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#542 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 28 November 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

Unrelated to this theory, a worse thing I have read is that if information is presented to people debunking their "facts"/beliefs, it actually makes people cling to false information and beliefs more. How do you fix THAT? What hope is there if they just close their eyes, stick their fingers in their ears, and raise their voice?

John Oliver actually mentioned this in one of his segments though I can't remember which one. He said that belief has become more important than fact. He showed two clips. The first was some popular Republican (can't remember if he was a politician or media personality) being interviewed who said the economy was worse under Obama than Bush. When the reporter said that the economy was recovering the Republican said that while it may be factually recovering he didn't truly believe that. It didn't feel like a recovery. The next guy was some celebrity (again, can't remember if it was an actor or a musician or athlete or what) who said that Obama was a Muslim. The reporter said that Obama was a Christian and that there was proof of that but the celebrity said that he didn't care. He believed in his heart that Obama was a Muslim and that's all that mattered.

It's a scary world when no one cares about facts anymore. I'm not saying that it's just conservatives who have this problem. It's a problem for liberals, as well. However, nothing will be done about it because people like seeing articles or news reports that agree with them. I'm just as guilty, though I like to think that I do try and get multiple perspectives on an issue. Not everyone does, though. My parents are conservative and basically only watch Fox News. When I told my mom one of the reasons I wasn't supporting Trump was because of his comment about undoing gay marriage and the fact that Pence was virulently anti-LGBT she was shocked. She had no idea about any of that.

When the pollsters called, people didn't want the pollsters labeling them as racist, sexist, what nots...so they lied to the pollsters. Said they weren't voting Trump, when all the while they knew they were.

I've tried to make sure that I don't lump in all Trump or Republican supporters with the racist, sexist, homophobic nutjobs out there. I know that not everyone who voted for Trump is a horrible person that hates everyone that's not straight and white. However, there is a large segment of them that Trump and the Republicans have catered to and have given prominence to in their party.

If some people get upset at being called out on their racist, sexist, homophobic views then tough. I'm sorry, but as a gay man in American I've been called a fag, a sissy, a pedophile, queer, an abomination, etc. That's been my life. If all the people who said those things are now being called on it, that makes me happy.

I was out with friends the other night. All of us were gay. The two women are in a relationship. They held hands, kissed each other, and otherwise acted affectionate. Not as openly affectionate as straight couples can act, but still affectionate. Later my gay male friend rubbed my back because I wasn't feeling well. When he did that, and every time the couple did anything affectionate I tensed up, expecting someone to either verbally or physically attack us. Part of me wanted to tell them to stop being affectionate, and I hated myself for even thinking it. That's the kind of world I live in because of those people who don't want to be labeled as racist, or sexist, or homophobic. Those are the people in power now, and that's why a lot of people are scared.

It's not just liberals whining because we're crybabies and can't accept that Trump won. It's because he ran a campaign that tapped into the dark, ugly side of humanity and he attacked anyone who wasn't straight, white, and Christian. He is surrounding himself now with people who have said or hold views that are extremely anti-LGBT and pretty much anti-anything not straight, white, and Christian. You can tell me I'm just as bad by labeling these people as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. but I'm not doing it just to be petty or to whine. I'm doing it because this is what they are. Just look at Pence's record when it comes to the LGBT community.

I have no problem with people not liking gays. That's their life and they can like or dislike whatever the hell they want to. I have a problem when they take their dislike of gays and try and turn it into policy that makes me and everyone like me a second class citizen with limited rights. Is it fair that I ca be fired, or tossed out of an apartment, or be denied service in a store open to the public, simply because I like men instead of women? You don't see me campaigning to limit the rights of, say, the KKK even though I hate that group and wish they would all go crawl back under a rock and die.

What you're referring to is an age-old phenomenon that in the Greeks' time was referred as The Schism Between Hellenism And Hebraism. By ca 400 CE it was referred to as The Schism Between Faith And Reason. Today it has become The Schism Between Logic and Emotion.

It is something that divides populations roughly in half. It has been noticed since ancient times, and it is still with us today. It is found in all societies, with all religions capitalising on the Faith/Emotion side.

It's not a sudden scourge that magically appeared in recent years. It's the Thinkers vs Thuh Stoopids. When The Thinkers have things their way, you get The Enlightenment and Thomas Jefferson. When Thuh Stoopids have their way, you get World War, Segregation, and Climate Change Denial.

The problem is that this balance, you guessed it, affects the Democratic process. The Thinkers and Thuh Stoopids are generally half the population, so things can always go either way.

However, the average IQ has dropped 15 or so points since the 19th century (look it up if you don't believe me), and it's on its way down, down, down, so that the number of Stoopids is increasing.

The positive thing is that, when Thuh Stoopids get a big war going, it's generally themselves they get involved, and killed off in large numbers, which in turn raises the nation's IQ once more.

And so it goes.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#543 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 28 November 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

I've tried to make sure that I don't lump in all Trump or Republican supporters with the racist, sexist, homophobic nutjobs out there. I know that not everyone who voted for Trump is a horrible person that hates everyone that's not straight and white. However, there is a large segment of them that Trump and the Republicans have catered to and have given prominence to in their party.

On this I can agree...Trump did also tap into that "hate group".

If some people get upset at being called out on their racist, sexist, homophobic views then tough. I'm sorry, but as a gay man in American I've been called a fag, a sissy, a pedophile, queer, an abomination, etc. That's been my life. If all the people who said those things are now being called on it, that makes me happy.

And if it were just those specific people being called out on it, I would agree with you. But it's ALL Trump supporters. even the ones who voted for Trump because they couldn't vote for Hillary, they just couldn't. And in their minds, right or wrong, Trump was the lesser of two evils.

I was out with friends the other night. All of us were gay. The two women are in a relationship. They held hands, kissed each other, and otherwise acted affectionate. Not as openly affectionate as straight couples can act, but still affectionate. Later my gay male friend rubbed my back because I wasn't feeling well. When he did that, and every time the couple did anything affectionate I tensed up, expecting someone to either verbally or physically attack us. Part of me wanted to tell them to stop being affectionate, and I hated myself for even thinking it. That's the kind of world I live in because of those people who don't want to be labeled as racist, or sexist, or homophobic. Those are the people in power now, and that's why a lot of people are scared.

It's not just liberals whining because we're crybabies and can't accept that Trump won. It's because he ran a campaign that tapped into the dark, ugly side of humanity and he attacked anyone who wasn't straight, white, and Christian. He is surrounding himself now with people who have said or hold views that are extremely anti-LGBT and pretty much anti-anything not straight, white, and Christian. You can tell me I'm just as bad by labeling these people as racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. but I'm not doing it just to be petty or to whine. I'm doing it because this is what they are. Just look at Pence's record when it comes to the LGBT community.

I have no problem with people not liking gays. That's their life and they can like or dislike whatever the hell they want to. I have a problem when they take their dislike of gays and try and turn it into policy that makes me and everyone like me a second class citizen with limited rights. Is it fair that I ca be fired, or tossed out of an apartment, or be denied service in a store open to the public, simply because I like men instead of women? You don't see me campaigning to limit the rights of, say, the KKK even though I hate that group and wish they would all go crawl back under a rock and die.

I'm sorry you experience that, I really am. I can't even imagine being treated like that. I've gotten into numerous arguments with friends who feel marriage should be man and woman. As a result, we tend to avoid that subject. When the subject did come up, and they asked my views on it, they were surprised and shocked I wasn't in lock step with them. I told them, as I tell everyone, as long as it is two consenting adults that are marriage, I really don't care who marries who. As long as they are not using my bed, and that goes for straight couples also, I don't care. It is, quite literally, none of my business who marries who.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#544 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:03 AM

Here's an article, "Coping with Chaos in the White House," that explains the Narcissistic Personality Disordered thing we're dealing with, and this is so obvious to me because of at least one person in my own family who's exactly as described.

https://medium.com/@...3ddf#.uod9ptru6

That should be enough for anyone to understand, but considering the comprehension skills of certain "anyone"s I have in mind, nah, probably not. *shrug* Enjoy his Presidency, then...

Edited by Norville, 29 November 2016 - 03:04 AM.

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#545 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:54 AM

You hear various diagnoses of Trump's brain-rot, from Malignant Narcissist to Borderline Personality to you name it.

My money is on Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). Presents a bit like a Malignant Narcissist, but there's other stuff going on.

#546 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:27 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 28 November 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, with the "Liberal butt hurt" comment. But having dealt with Liberals in real life, who are extremely butt hurt about Hillary loosing, and then dealing with Liberals on this board....perhaps I was a tad bit harsh. As for lumping everyone together....Perhaps now you begin to grasp how those who disagreed with the Left felt? For years now, almost 8 to be exact, we've been labeled racist, xenophobic, sexist, you name it, if we even dared SUGGEST we might not agree with the Leftist positions.

Why do you think MOST of the polls were wrong? I told this board why, long before the election, and was scoffed at for saying it. When the pollsters called, people didn't want the pollsters labeling them as racist, sexist, what nots...so they lied to the pollsters. Said they weren't voting Trump, when all the while they knew they were.

No, I already know the feeling. It's the same feeling that I have had since I was in high school 40 years ago. Every time I mentioned that I agreed with a Democratic politician (never mind that I also agreed with a Republican). Every time I was labeled a Liberal because I dared to disagree with a staunch Conservative. Every time I was told I might be a racist because I said Hillary should have been the candidate in 2008. Every time some man tells me how I should think and refuses to consider what I have said. And recently because I was obviously only voting for Hillary because she is a woman. It couldn't be that I use/d my brain. Nope, I was/am a stupid Liberal who had/has no clue and needs to be taught how to think the right way. LoTS, you haven't even begun to put up with it for as long as I have. You haven't even made the 8 years that you claim (the link I posted shows that you liked Obama, or maybe that was more sarcasm).

As a white male, you have had a fairly easy life. You got paid fair wages, you were able to get life insurance that reflected your value to your family, you were able to get health insurance that covered any and every health issue you could face and at a fair price, etc... You have no idea what it is like to finally have those things, because they have always been available to you. So many of us just recently have these same things available to us, these things that the Republicans and Trump want to take away from us, again.

I don't think the polls lied (those polls barely scratch the surface), I think it was simply the fact that far too many white males came out to vote, and they voted for Trump out of fear. They are afraid because of the changes that have been happening. They are afraid that they will have to feel the same fear and worries that the rest of us have felt, and they don't like that. This is what Trump built his whole campaign on.

With this new regime, I have to worry that my new medication will be taken away from me (it is one that is finally working) because it will once again not be covered by my disability. Heck, I have to worry that my disability will be reduced or gone completely.
I already had to worry because my son, with his skin coloring and black hair and black beard, has already been considered that he might be of Middle Eastern blood. With Trump's inciting of his followers to hit first, maybe ask a question later (probably not), I now wonder if some idiot will go after my son because he "looks" like a terrorist.

You keep saying that we have nothing to cry about, you find it hilarious that we are worried. Well, we have the experience that you have never faced. Trump, and the Republican controlled government, threatens us. And like it or not, believe it or not, it threatens you, too.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#547 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

Again, peeple, we gots ta takes a lookies at thuh word "Liberal".

Liberal: 1) A person who favours a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
Liberal: 2) A person who favours an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets
Liberal: 3) Showing or characterized by broad-mindedness
Liberal: 4) Having political or social views favouring reform and progress

Both parties lay claim to all of this. The only definition they differ upon is:

Liberal: 5) Tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition.

Translation? Repellicans are intolerant of change, bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, and tradition.

And now we need to look at definitions of the latter:

Authoritarianism: A form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)

Orthodoxy: The quality of being orthodox (especially in religion).

Tradition: A specific practice of long standing.

In other words, Liberal is the opposite of Fascism.

Once again, here is the definition of Fascism:

A political theory advocating an authoritarian hierarchical government (as opposed to democracy or liberalism).

In other words, those that are against Liberalism are Fascists. Those that use the term "Liberal" in a derogatory sense are Fascists.

LoTS, whether you know it or not, or like it or not, you are a Fascist.

#548 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

I'm reposting above post because of tech issues I couldn't fix. Hope the formatting makes sense on this.

I already had to worry because my son, with his skin coloring and black hair and black beard, has already been considered that he might be of Middle Eastern blood. With Trump's inciting of his followers to hit first, maybe ask a question later (probably not), I now wonder if some idiot will go after my son because he "looks" like a terrorist.

I have to worry about my nephew, who's part Hispanic, and along with his olive-toned skin, and dark hair and eyes, has taken to wearing a beard, so might "look like a terrorist" -- I know he's been profiled in his life. Why must I worry about idiots who want to attack what they think looks different? (His sister looks entirely Anglo, so she "only" needs to beware of misogynists. Sigh.)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#549 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostElara, on 01 December 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

You haven't even made the 8 years that you claim (the link I posted shows that you liked Obama, or maybe that was more sarcasm).

No, it wasn't sarcasm. In 2008 I did vote for Obama, I got suckered by his whole "Hope and Change"...Which turned out to be yet another lie from Obama.

As a white male, you have had a fairly easy life. You got paid fair wages, you were able to get life insurance that reflected your value to your family, you were able to get health insurance that covered any and every health issue you could face and at a fair price, etc... You have no idea what it is like to finally have those things, because they have always been available to you. So many of us just recently have these same things available to us, these things that the Republicans and Trump want to take away from us, again.

An easy life? Really? LOL. You think just because my skin color is white that my life has been easy? ROFL. You have absolutely no idea of the sh*t I've been through, and the only way I survived it was to get downright nasty at times. Hell, I probably even made the Devil himself pause and say: "Damn, that is just wrong!" My skin color being white didn't give me a life of luxury and being pampered, with my every heart's desire granted, as you seem to think it did.

I don't think the polls lied (those polls barely scratch the surface), I think it was simply the fact that far too many white males came out to vote, and they voted for Trump out of fear. They are afraid because of the changes that have been happening. They are afraid that they will have to feel the same fear and worries that the rest of us have felt, and they don't like that. This is what Trump built his whole campaign on.

The white vote wasn't what put Trump over the 270 mark, it was also the black vote, the Latino vote, and even the women vote.

With this new regime, I have to worry that my new medication will be taken away from me (it is one that is finally working) because it will once again not be covered by my disability. Heck, I have to worry that my disability will be reduced or gone completely.

Here, I do have to concede the point. I've never had this experience, so I can only imagine what it is like.

You keep saying that we have nothing to cry about, you find it hilarious that we are worried. Well, we have the experience that you have never faced. Trump, and the Republican controlled government, threatens us. And like it or not, believe it or not, it threatens you, too.

You missed my point then, or perhaps I wasn't clear in illustrating my point. What I found hilarious were those that took to youtube, crying about the election. What I found hilarious were COLLEGE STUDENT, who are young ADULTS, being so traumatized by the election that college professors had to bring them play-do and hot chocolate in their "cry in safe space". These colleges are NOT preparing the student for the real world, where their boss isn't going to give a sh*t about them being upset. Their boss is going to expect them to suck it up and do their job, if they don't they will be fired.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#550 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 01 December 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

View PostElara, on 01 December 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

You haven't even made the 8 years that you claim (the link I posted shows that you liked Obama, or maybe that was more sarcasm).

No, it wasn't sarcasm. In 2008 I did vote for Obama, I got suckered by his whole "Hope and Change"...Which turned out to be yet another lie from Obama.

An easy life? Really? LOL. You think just because my skin color is white that my life has been easy? ROFL. You have absolutely no idea of the sh*t I've been through, and the only way I survived it was to get downright nasty at times. Hell, I probably even made the Devil himself pause and say: "Damn, that is just wrong!" My skin color being white didn't give me a life of luxury and being pampered, with my every heart's desire granted, as you seem to think it did.

The white vote wasn't what put Trump over the 270 mark, it was also the black vote, the Latino vote, and even the women vote.

Here, I do have to concede the point. I've never had this experience, so I can only imagine what it is like.

You missed my point then, or perhaps I wasn't clear in illustrating my point. What I found hilarious were those that took to youtube, crying about the election. What I found hilarious were COLLEGE STUDENT, who are young ADULTS, being so traumatized by the election that college professors had to bring them play-do and hot chocolate in their "cry in safe space". These colleges are NOT preparing the student for the real world, where their boss isn't going to give a sh*t about them being upset. Their boss is going to expect them to suck it up and do their job, if they don't they will be fired.

Uh huh. And exactly how much time have you spent in college and university?

#551 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 01 December 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

a couple of years, actually.

#552 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:56 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 01 December 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 01 December 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

a couple of years, actually.

And you think that makes you an expert?

#553 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:35 AM

Okay, I thought so. :)

I didn't mean that you have actually had a completely easy life, but you had these things available to you. For example: Years ago, when my son was a baby, I spoke to an insurance agent about life insurance. As I told him, if I died, my then husband would need extra money to care for our son. Well, I found out that I was worth a whopping $20,000 (that's not even grade school age money, much less college age), while my husband could get $100,000+. As a man, he was worth more than I was. Direct quote from the agent.
Next example: When I was first diagnosed with RA, I did have insurance through my husband (I worked seasonal agriculture, so no insurance). When he left that job to go to work at a new place, he was covered, I was not. Why? Because I had a preexisting condition. Oh, and I am a woman. Because he also had a preexisting condition, but his was covered.
Next example: He and I applied for the same job. He was hired (he didn't take the job, the idiot). I found out later that a Native American friend had also applied for the job, we were both told the same thing: "You are over-qualified." We both had some college classes under our belts. Yep, we were way over-qualified.
I have also been denied a job because I might decide to get pregnant. The guy mentioned that at least 4 times. Hence why I worked seasonal ag jobs, and was counted on to train others... at no extra pay. Huh, I got screwed there, too.
Then we can move on to the health thing. When the RA first started, I was told I tested negative, go home. Two years of swelling, legs that became bent at the knees (which I forced back into shape) and pain that as my first Rheumatologist said, would have had most men in wheelchairs, before I was properly diagnosed. Yet, my husband went to the same doctor with a bit of back pain and was sent to specialists.
And that is just a few from my experiences. My gay nephew was able, finally, to marry and now they are worried that this right will be taken from them. Honestly, I think his daughter would pull a Trump if that happened. Meaning she'd go knock the crap out of him if he took that from her father. And I would help. :D

Oh, absolutely, but I still feel that there were white men that seldom bother to vote, that came out to vote for Trump because they fear a woman being the president of the US.

Thank you. I think of all the years that I paid in, and my husband since part of my disability comes from him (he passed away years ago), and to hear people say that we are moochers, really ticks me off. I don't exactly enjoy being on disability, it's not a party, but without it, I'd be homeless.

Well, you have to admit, you have also made this comment:

View PostLord of the Sword, on 20 November 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

I see trying to have a rational discussion here is pointless. I will leave you to your "safe space" so you can all have your "cry in" together, I'm sure the staff will be here shortly with your hot coco and play dough.

As well as making jokes about people in general being worried about Trump winning (though the big worry is that it is a Republican controlled government), so I was referring to what seems to be your attitude in general. Perhaps we sort of missed each other's point.

As for the college students (while I have not checked to see if this is true), I will agree. If they are overly coddling college students, they need to stop. If some of them are feeling suicidal, then definitely help them, but the rest will learn to deal and learn how to change things if someone isn't making it easy for them.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#554 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostElara, on 02 December 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

I didn't mean that you have actually had a completely easy life, but you had these things available to you. For example: Years ago, when my son was a baby, I spoke to an insurance agent about life insurance. As I told him, if I died, my then husband would need extra money to care for our son. Well, I found out that I was worth a whopping $20,000 (that's not even grade school age money, much less college age), while my husband could get $100,000+. As a man, he was worth more than I was. Direct quote from the agent.
Next example: When I was first diagnosed with RA, I did have insurance through my husband (I worked seasonal agriculture, so no insurance). When he left that job to go to work at a new place, he was covered, I was not. Why? Because I had a preexisting condition. Oh, and I am a woman. Because he also had a preexisting condition, but his was covered.
Next example: He and I applied for the same job. He was hired (he didn't take the job, the idiot). I found out later that a Native American friend had also applied for the job, we were both told the same thing: "You are over-qualified." We both had some college classes under our belts. Yep, we were way over-qualified.
I have also been denied a job because I might decide to get pregnant. The guy mentioned that at least 4 times. Hence why I worked seasonal ag jobs, and was counted on to train others... at no extra pay. Huh, I got screwed there, too.
Then we can move on to the health thing. When the RA first started, I was told I tested negative, go home. Two years of swelling, legs that became bent at the knees (which I forced back into shape) and pain that as my first Rheumatologist said, would have had most men in wheelchairs, before I was properly diagnosed. Yet, my husband went to the same doctor with a bit of back pain and was sent to specialists.
And that is just a few from my experiences.

You're right, I did have options available, I'll concede that. I also never experienced being worth less because of my gender.

Oh, absolutely, but I still feel that there were white men that seldom bother to vote, that came out to vote for Trump because they fear a woman being the president of the US.

Agreed, they did come out in record numbers.

Well, you have to admit, you have also made this comment:

View PostLord of the Sword, on 20 November 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

I see trying to have a rational discussion here is pointless. I will leave you to your "safe space" so you can all have your "cry in" together, I'm sure the staff will be here shortly with your hot coco and play dough.

As well as making jokes about people in general being worried about Trump winning (though the big worry is that it is a Republican controlled government), so I was referring to what seems to be your attitude in general. Perhaps we sort of missed each other's point.

Agreed, I did make that comment.

#555 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

Incidentally, where Fascism and US politics is concerned, politicians and the monied elite in the US have a long-standing affiliation with Fascism. How soon everyone forgets . . .

http://rationalrevol...f_the_europ.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016, General election, Trump, Clinton, Democrats, Republicans

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users