Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

DC Rebirth? Who's following?

DC Comic books Justice League Flash Superman Batman Wonder Woman Green Arrow superheros

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

OK - I'm quite confused by DC Rebirth.  I'll admit that I dropped out of New 52 a while ago, and haven't been keeping up.  But now there's Rebirth, and I picked up a few issues and find myself very very confused.

The stories seem pretty good, but I'm not clear on what's happening.  MORE confusing is the number sequencing.  I could have sworn that I read Justice League 1 last week, but today I bought a different Justice League 1.  What gives?

I'm curious to know if others are following the new series, understand them, are enjoying them, etc.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:38 PM

I haven't been following comics in ages, but from what I gathered, from youtube videos and what not, is that new 52 happened because Dr. Manhattan, from Watchmen, removed hope from the Universe. Or something along those lines. DC Rebirth is when that hope is returned. Like I said, not really positive on it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

I only really pay attention to comic events touching on Dick Grayson, so I don't have a full picture, but I'd guess you hit the same thing with Justice League that I did with Nightwing.  The first "#1" that came out was actually "Nightwing: Rebirth #1" and seems to be a one-time-only transitional thing to just establish his status quo.    Then, two weeks later comes the ACTUAL "Nightwing: #1" that is officially the beginning of the ongoing series.

"DC Universe: Rebirth" is the issue that sets everything up.  As LotS says, there's something at the end that looks Watchmen-related, but I don't have the longer context to really understand it, so I'm just going with the flow.  :)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

I bailed on modern comics during the original Civil War, but people still keep me informed.  :lol:  Apparently, the Watchmen are being incorporated into the DC Universe-- and Alan Moore is about as happy as you'd imagine.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

I dropped comics some time back, around the time of the abysmal "The Truth" story line that took place in all the Superman books. That arc drove me from all the Super-related books. They cancelled Supergirl even though it was firing on all cylinders. They turned Superboy into an (unintentional) mass murderer and than got rid of him in the dumbest way possible. Aquaman took a turn that I didn't like. Basically, most of the DC comics I was reading took a turn for the worse so I dropped all of them.

From interviews and articles I've read, Rebirth is basically the Powers That Be at DC admitting that they made a mistake with the New 52 and that when they took away a lot of the legacy characters and a lot of the history they took away what made DC great. So now they're bringing back a lot of the legacy characters and the history again and in a move that I think is dumb, bringing in the Watchmen characters. It feels like when they incorporated the Milestone and Wildstorm comics into the DCU: an event that was made a big deal of and then quickly petered out and went nowhere.

I haven't checked out any of the comics yet and don't really plan to. Well, maybe the Supergirl one because I really like the character and the writer has said a lot of good things in interviews.

There are a coupe that I might check out when they come out in trade but there's nothing I've seen that will make me start buying comics weekly again.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, might as well wait for trades.  I really miss comics and I wish there was stuff that I wanted to read. I bought the first Ms. Marvel trade and it was good once I forced myself to get past the art. I bought an Avengers trade, Ultron Forever I think it was, and I liked that a lot-- I always like those alternate universe things. I bought the first Jonathan Hickman FF trade, since I love the FF and everybody said he brought them back to what they were supposed to be-- I was underwhelmed. I've got the first Totally Awesome Hulk on order.  I don't see anything else that interests me.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DC, Comic books, Justice League, Flash, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, superheros

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users