Wonder Woman and Justice League Trailers

Wonder Woman Justice League DC

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

I loved both of these trailers. Even after re-evaluating Batman Vs. Superman after watching the Extended Cut I was still wary about the future of the DCCU, but these trailers have started to put my mind at ease. With these two films and Suicide Squad it looks like DC has finally got their crap together.

Can I just say it's about time that we got a big budget female superhero movie that actually looks good? Sorry, Catwoman and Elektra. The WW trailer was pretty badass. Gal Gadot is amazing as Wonder Woman. The World War I setting looks cool and I loved the shot of Wonder Woman exiting the trench. I do wish the trailer had given us more of a hint at the plot, but it's the first trailer and I'm sure they wanted to focus more on just cool visuals and spectacle. I doubt the villains will just be the Germans. Plus there was comedy in the trailer. After all the talk about how DC wanted their films to be dark and realistic and not humorous like the Marvel films I could only shake my head. That seemed so limiting. My fears have been put to rest, though.

The same can be said about the Justice League trailer. There's quite a bit of humor in it, especially in the Barry meets Bruce scene. Barry's Flash costume looked great. I'm way more pumped for Justice League now than I was after watching BvS. I did expect something to happen after Bruce asked Arthur about his ability to talk to fish. I was thinking we'd see Aquaman summon some kind of giant sea beastie or something. Oh well.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

I don't have a clue what's going on in comics these days but WW seems like it's the original story line for her.  But - I could be wrong - I thought in the time I was reading the comics the stories were set in the present.  But I will say that both look really promising.  Chris Pine as Steve Trevor?  I'm in!
Cats will never be extinct!

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

^ They probably haven't had time to get into the big CGI stuff like a sea monster yet?  The io9 page regarding the Justice League trailer mentions that that Barry Allen scene was just *filmed* in late June, so if they're still filming, I wouldn't expect too many big flashy shots to be ready yet.

Both trailers look great, though.  I haven't had any interest in any of the Superman or Batman stuff since the second Nolan movie, but the trailers make me eager to see both of these.

(D'you think Batman vs. Superman is required viewing for Justice League?)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

Absolutely LOVED these trailers.

Aquaman is finally being portrayed as Bada$$. Loved it. And while I really like Grant Gustin's Flash....Just from this trailer alone, I think I might have a new favorite Flash. LOL. Cyborg looks just awesome.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

Well, sweet.  Wonder Woman is a period piece. I'll see that. First X-Men: First Class, then Captain America, now Wonder Woman.  If only they would do the FF set in the 60s.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

View PostThemis, on 24 July 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

I don't have a clue what's going on in comics these days but WW seems like it's the original story line for her.  But - I could be wrong - I thought in the time I was reading the comics the stories were set in the present.
It's. . . complicated.

Wonder Woman was originally created shortly before WWII (and her alter-ego Diana Prince served in the army as Steve Trevor's secretary). Like most Golden Age characters, she existed in a vague "now-ish" time frame as the war ended (though her books took a more Jules Verne-esque space-fantasy tone, with the solar system being inhabited by aliens and Earth eventually ending war, poverty, death[!], and crime). She was always "present-day" for whenever the books were published, though (even if "her" present didn't always resemble the real world --thanks to death being "cured," all the WWII-era characters were still unchanged).

The Silver Age slightly revamped her to focus more on Greek Mythology as a motif and be a bit less. . . weird. No more spaceflight-capable kangaroos, immortality pills, or underground kingdoms of seal-people (I swear I am not making this up).

In the 80s, she was rebooted into the Post-Crisis timeline (as in, she first entered Man's World in the 80s-ish), with any important-to-continuity Golden Age appearances retconned into being her mother Hippolyta, making brief excursions from Themyscira. She also got a power boost, putting her at Superman-level (unassisted flight, invulnerability, Flash-like speed, etc).

I assume they're setting this in WWI to avoid the Captain America comparisons.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,824 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hmmm ... I like the WWI setting for Wonder Woman.  Visually, it is very distinctive, and has the added benefit of not being done before ... at least with this character.  Now, I'm wondering if we'll get to see Hans von Hammer as well, for he would certainly make for an interesting antagonist.

Also, Etta Candy ... I like what they did with her, and it is nice that Wonder Woman is bringing a sense of humor to the DCU with her.

Justice League, OTOH, OK, well, obviously a follow-up on Batman vs. Superman.  It looks like it might be fun, but with the whole gathering of heroes plotline, I have to wonder just what the central conflict is, and who their antagonist will be.  I'm thinking that it is still too soon to bring in Darkseid and the Fourth World, but then again, I thought it too soon to have Batman and Superman battle each other.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

Ah, WWI, not WWII.  That's weird. Just to distance the character from Captain America?  A lot of movies are set in WWII.  It's kind of a pivotal historical period.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,824 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

Well, so was WWI, if you think about it, and it isn't a setting normally employed in US pictures.  Probably because the US didn't really have a leading role in that conflict, as opposed to WWII.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I know, I'm just saying it's an odd reason to change the time period of the movie.  It's not a setting unique to Captain America.

#11 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

Actually, WWI fits with the photo of Wonder Woman that we saw in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN.  The years match up, too, from dialogue.

#12 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:27 PM

I know, I'm just saying it's an odd reason to change the time period of the movie.  It's not a setting unique to Captain America.

Maybe not, but casual fans might think that WW was simply copying what Captain America did without realizing that a lot of comic book heroes have their start and origins in WWII, like the Justice Society.

Plus as G-Man pointed out, WWI is a war that is often overlooked when it comes to Hollywood, so it gives the movie a semi-unique setting to take advantage of.

^ They probably haven't had time to get into the big CGI stuff like a sea monster yet?  The io9 page regarding the Justice League trailer mentions that that Barry Allen scene was just *filmed* in late June, so if they're still filming, I wouldn't expect too many big flashy shots to be ready yet.

True, but it just felt like something was needed after that line, even if it was just a quip by Aquaman.

(D'you think Batman vs. Superman is required viewing for Justice League?)

Well, it does set up why Batman is recruiting these heroes but that will be addressed in Justice League, one would presume. It is where Batman and Wonder Woman first meet and team up, along with Superman. I don't think BvS would be required viewing but there might be instances where knowledge of what happened in that movie would be helpful. I'm trying to be vague because I don't know what, if anything, you've heard about BvS. If you do decide to watch it I recommend the Extended Edition because it is a far better version than the theatrical cut.

Justice League, OTOH, OK, well, obviously a follow-up on Batman vs. Superman.  It looks like it might be fun, but with the whole gathering of heroes plotline, I have to wonder just what the central conflict is, and who their antagonist will be.  I'm thinking that it is still too soon to bring in Darkseid and the Fourth World, but then again, I thought it too soon to have Batman and Superman battle each other.

Yeah, it would be odd to waste a villain like Darkseid in the first film. There aren't a ton of heavy hitters that the Justice League face. Darkseid, of course. The Anti-Monitor, Starro the Conqueror, Amazo, etc. They could have a bunch of villains team up and form an Injustice League. My guess is we'll see maybe one of Darkseid's minions or another villain that might be sent by Darkseid. But who knows?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 29 July 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

Maybe not, but casual fans might think that WW was simply copying what Captain America did without realizing that a lot of comic book heroes have their start and origins in WWII, like the Justice Society.

Plus as G-Man pointed out, WWI is a war that is often overlooked when it comes to Hollywood, so it gives the movie a semi-unique setting to take advantage of.  
I have a visceral reaction to deviating from the source material.  :lol:

I'll bet a lot of the mainstream audience doesn't know the difference between WWI and WWII, anyway.  They'll be scratching their heads and wondering where Hitler is.

#14 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

I have a visceral reaction to deviating from the source material.  :lol:

I can understand, but WWII isn't as vital to Wonder Woman's origins as it is to Captain America's.

I'll bet a lot of the mainstream audience doesn't know the difference between WWI and WWII, anyway.  They'll be scratching their heads and wondering where Hitler is.

You're probably right. WWI tends to get glossed over for WWII.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 August 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

I can understand, but WWII isn't as vital to Wonder Woman's origins as it is to Captain America's.  
Agreed, and it will probably work out well, It's just the way I am.

#16 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,824 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Here's the latest Wonder Woman trailer:

I sure hope the movie is as good as the trailer implies.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:41 PM

I still think it's weird that they're using a WWI setting, but it's still very intriguing and looks interesting. I wish they'd do more of these movies as period pieces. Captain America came out pretty good, and was the best of the (few) Marvel movies that I've seen because it was a period piece.

#18 1XMCfan

1XMCfan
  • Islander
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

I too find the WW1 setting somewhat odd/different--perhaps because we are so far removed from it, but I do really like the trailers I have seen.

#19 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

LUV 'EM!

#20 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

The second trailer does look promising. I have my fingers crossed that this isn't a case of a trailer making a bad movie look good.

I'm liking the WWI setting more and more. It's an era that isn't shown in film a lot like WWII so it does give it a rather unique look.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wonder Woman, Justice League, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users