CW Superhero Show News

CW Arrow Supergirl Flash Legends of Tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Instead of creating multiple threads to cover the news about the upcoming various superhero shows on the CW I figured I'd post several news items here.

http://www.cinemable...ing-to-season-3

This link tells us who the next Big Bad will be on The Flash and I hope it's wrong.

Spoiler

The link to the article reveals who was in the pod at the end of season 1 of Supergirl so I'm putting it in the spoiler tag as well for anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled.

Spoiler

It was also revealed during the TCA panel that "Supergirl" will crossover with "The Flash" for a musical two-parter in the back half of the season.

Okay, a musical cross-over between the two shows sounds like a ton of fun. I'm not sure how it will work with them being in separate universes but I think I'm more excited about that cross-over than the mega four part cross-over between all the shows.

http://www.comicbook...out-this-season

“One of the characters on one of the shows is going to be exploring their sexuality and coming out,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, as reported at Entertainment Weekly. “We’re very excited about that.”

The executive producers gathered at the event, which also included Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, did not reveal the character or identify which of the four shows they appear on. “It is a significant character,” said Berlanti said. “The only reason we wouldn’t [say] is we really want the audience to enjoy the character developments and not necessarily be ahead of the storyline.”

I really have no clue who the character could be. All of the main characters (save Sara who's already out) have been shown to be heterosexual. I can't think of one of the characters on the four casts who could possibly be gay. Maybe it's one of the new characters they're adding. Hopefully it's not Maggie Sawyer, who is getting added to Supergirl. Her character is a lesbian, and my guess is she'll be out when she first appears on the show, but it's possible she's in the closet and slowly comes out during the season. Jeremy Jordan did say he would love to play Winn as gay so maybe the writers wen that direction with him.

http://www.comicbook...-2-episode-2016

At the TCA Press Tour in Los Angeles, the CW announced that Kevin Smith will direct an episode of "Supergirl" in its second season.

Smith previously directed "The Flash" Season 2's "The Runaway Dinosaur," and returned to the series to helm an episode in the early part of Season 3. He has also expressed interest in directing an episode of "Arrow."

This is cool news. I really liked "The Runaway Dinosaur" so it will be interesting to see how he handles Supergirl. The fact that he's directed another episode of The Flash is cool.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 12 August 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

http://www.comicbook...out-this-season

“One of the characters on one of the shows is going to be exploring their sexuality and coming out,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, as reported at Entertainment Weekly. “We’re very excited about that.”

The executive producers gathered at the event, which also included Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, did not reveal the character or identify which of the four shows they appear on. “It is a significant character,” said Berlanti said. “The only reason we wouldn’t [say] is we really want the audience to enjoy the character developments and not necessarily be ahead of the storyline.”

I really have no clue who the character could be. All of the main characters (save Sara who's already out) have been shown to be heterosexual. I can't think of one of the characters on the four casts who could possibly be gay. Maybe it's one of the new characters they're adding. Hopefully it's not Maggie Sawyer, who is getting added to Supergirl. Her character is a lesbian, and my guess is she'll be out when she first appears on the show, but it's possible she's in the closet and slowly comes out during the season. Jeremy Jordan did say he would love to play Winn as gay so maybe the writers wen that direction with him.

Maybe the person is not homosexual, but, like Sara, the person is bisexual?

ETA - What about Wally? I don't recall his sexual-orientation being even hinted at, but I could have forgotten. Or is he not a major character? ETA - Totally forgot about whats-his-name's daughter. I can't recall if she and Wally actually had a moment that could not be misinterpreted. At least one or both of them are young enough that such exploration would not seems as laboriously divergence to anything previous established. They also may have not been sure of themselves or their feelings even if something did happen.

Edited by sierraleone, 13 August 2016 - 06:30 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

At the TCA Press Tour in Los Angeles, the CW announced that Kevin Smith will direct an episode of "Supergirl" in its second season.

I keep wondering if they will ever get Jeannot Szwarc (who does mainly TV these days and directed the "Supergirl" feature film back in 1984) to direct an episode, since he was seen on the set of the pilot. But he maybe already was asked and refused. Back when "Smallville" had Supergirl on for a few episodes, Szwarc directed many episodes, but was gone for the whole time the character was there. He probably skipped those episodes because he just isn't interested in directing anything related to "Supergirl" again, especially after his movie was a hellish production and the result beaten by critics and fans alike.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

Szwarc directed a few SUPERNATURAL episodes, and did a lot of NIGHT GALLERY.  I liked his directing style in those episodes... definitely captures eerie mood well.

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

http://tvline.com/20...poilers-the-cw/

“We had a character who we had discussed as a possibility last year internally, and it didn’t materialize,” Berlanti told reporters after the panel. “We didn’t get to the story. We just didn’t have enough real estate to deal with it in the way that we wanted to deal with it. So when we were planning this season, we said to the network and the studio that it was a priority for us, and everyone was cool with it.”

He added: “And obviously, because the character hadn’t been gay, we hadn’t necessarily discussed it with the actor, too.” That cast member, the EP noted, was on board with the change.

Berlanti confirmed that the character is someone who is currently on one of the series — “It’s not a new character that’s been added” — and that it is not someone on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, which have gay or bisexual characters in Curtis and Sara, respectively.

Okay, so it's been narrowed down to either The Flash or Supergirl. I'd lean more towards Supergirl but who knows? My guess is if it is Supergirl it's either Alex or Winn. We really didn't get to know much about Alex's personal life last season. It was all focused on her role as a DEO agent and as Kara's sister. Since the show is adding Maggie Sawyer, it's possible Alex will be revealed as a lesbian and maybe even enter into a relationship with Maggie. With Winn, sure he pined after Supergirl hard core and had a brief relationship with Siobahn but he could still be a contender. They did say the character will be exploring their sexuality so maybe he realizes that he is gay.

ETA - What about Wally? I don't recall his sexual-orientation being even hinted at, but I could have forgotten. Or is he not a major character? ETA - Totally forgot about whats-his-name's daughter. I can't recall if she and Wally actually had a moment that could not be misinterpreted. At least one or both of them are young enough that such exploration would not seems as laboriously divergence to anything previous established. They also may have not been sure of themselves or their feelings even if something did happen.

I didn't even think of Wally, really. You're right in that we never really saw him with a woman so he is a possibility. Jesse is another strong possibility.

I keep wondering if they will ever get Jeannot Szwarc (who does mainly TV these days and directed the "Supergirl" feature film back in 1984) to direct an episode, since he was seen on the set of the pilot. But he maybe already was asked and refused. Back when "Smallville" had Supergirl on for a few episodes, Szwarc directed many episodes, but was gone for the whole time the character was there. He probably skipped those episodes because he just isn't interested in directing anything related to "Supergirl" again, especially after his movie was a hellish production and the result beaten by critics and fans alike.

I think it would be cool if he directed an episode of Supergirl. While the movie Supergirl was bad I don't really blame him for all of it. There was a lot wrong with that movie starting from the ground up. He did the best he could I think.

There are rumors swirling that Joss Whedon is being considered as the director for the musical episodes. If true and he does direct them that is amazing news. I don't know how likely that is though.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 13 August 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

http://tvline.com/20...poilers-the-cw/

Berlanti confirmed that the character is someone who is currently on one of the series — “It’s not a new character that’s been added” — and that it is not someone on Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow, which have gay or bisexual characters in Curtis and Sara, respectively.

Okay, so it's been narrowed down to either The Flash or Supergirl. I'd lean more towards Supergirl but who knows? My guess is if it is Supergirl it's either Alex or Winn. We really didn't get to know much about Alex's personal life last season. It was all focused on her role as a DEO agent and as Kara's sister. Since the show is adding Maggie Sawyer, it's possible Alex will be revealed as a lesbian and maybe even enter into a relationship with Maggie. With Winn, sure he pined after Supergirl hard core and had a brief relationship with Siobahn but he could still be a contender. They did say the character will be exploring their sexuality so maybe he realizes that he is gay.

Didn't Alex go out on a date with that tech business mogul (can you tell how good with names I am yet ;) ). Maybe because the idea if it was 100% subterfuge doesn't sit well with me (as possibly not reflecting well on Alex) but I thought it was not solely work related. Though maybe whats-his-name sort of backed Alex into a corner into accepting the date. I really can't remember the details, but certainly leaves possibly ambiguities.

Edited by sierraleone, 13 August 2016 - 09:09 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

Didn't Alex go out on a date with that tech business mogul (can you tell how good with names I am yet ;) ). Maybe because the idea if it was 100% subterfuge doesn't sit well with me (as possibly not reflecting well on Alex) but I thought it was not solely work related. Though maybe whats-his-name sort of backed Alex into a corner into accepting the date. I really can't remember the details, but certainly leaves possibly ambiguities.

Alex did go on a date with Maxwell Lord but she did have ulterior motives since she was trying to learn as much as she could about him and on another occasion she went out on a date with him so that J'Onn could impersonate him and find out what was in Room 52. Still, there did seem to be some genuine feelings on her part so who can say?
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Thought I'd post some Supergirl, Arrow, and  Flash videos. The first is a clip from the season 2 premiere that highlights Tyler Hoechlin as Clark/Superman. It's a relatively brief clip but he nails both Clark and Superman in my opinion. A really great casting choice.

The second video is a promo for season 2 that focuses on Kara and Clark. It's a cool trailer. I love how everyone responds to Superman. My favorite bit has to be the father telling his family that they're moving back to Gotham. That was hilarious.

This next one is the Arrow season 5 trailer. I have to say it looks really good. I might just give Arrow a second chance.

Here's a Flash season 3 trailer. It highlights Kid Flash as well as new villain Savitar. It has the fun, upbeat tone that I love The Flash for.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

https://www.yahoo.co...-211636248.html

However, the producers are already hard at work figuring out the logistics of rectifying that for next season. “Next year, we’re hoping to do a true four-way crossover,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says. “The great thing about our dear friends at the CW and Mark Pedowitz picking the shows up as early as they did has allowed us to start building the schedules for next season.”

Explaining that the shows continue filming other episodes while shooting the crossovers, Kreisberg says, “One of the big things we learned from two years ago, which made the crossovers this year slightly easier, was building in shut-down days, where shows just went dark. The single hardest factor in doing the crossovers is actors’ availability because the shows keep going on. You’re basically juggling four shows worth of schedules.”

“The thing that we didn’t really plan on — because we weren’t aware that we were going to switch Supergirl from CBS to CW and it was really going to be part of it — that was the one show that didn’t have built-in shut-down days, so all the other ones did,” Kreisberg continues. “Melissa ended up being heavily in Flash and then in Arrow, so Supergirl was the one we needed to shut down the most and it was the one that we didn’t have any opportunity to. Now that we’ve gotten the early pickup and we’ve started designing the seasons, we’re building in those dark days, and actually more dark days on Supergirl than the other shows, to make it a little easier.”

I thought this was a nice article that explained why the show Supergirl wasn't really part of the cross-over and gives us hope that next year we can get a true four part cross-over.

As for the upcoming Flash-Supergirl musical crossover, that will mainly take place on The Flash, with Kara, Winn (Jeremy Jordan), J’onn (David Harewood), and Mon-El (Chris Wood) appearing. “We would’ve had everybody, because I know this one can sing,” Kreisberg says, referencing Chyler Leigh, “but somebody actually had to be part of an episode of Supergirl, because we actually keep filming these things.”

Looks like the musical cross-over will be basically the same thing, taking place mainly on The Flash instead of being spread across both shows. That sucks, but at least more of the Supergirl cast will get in on the action this time. I had really wanted to see Winn with Cisco and Felicity and I would have loved everyone's reaction when they met Martian Manhunter. Looks like at least some of my wish will come true.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:58 PM

Considering only the four night event was the only episodes of the other shows, I probably won't see the musical.  Then again, I've never been that big of a fan of musical-episodes.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CW, Arrow, Supergirl, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users