• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

Hey, guys.  As some of you know, I'm back on Ex Isle.  And as some of you know also, I've been producing video content for the past couple of years on YouTube.  My channel is Channel Metal Geek, and it covers just about everything pop culture... though I predominantly discuss video games.  Lately I've been a little disturbed over the current state of the gaming industry.  Mainly... the Wii U sales.  I'm a big fan of the Wii U.  There are a lot of great games for it.  But, for some reason, gamers seem to have shunned Nintendo this generation.  Despite landing games like Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Flag, Watch Dogs, and Bayonetta 1 and 2, some gamers still see Nintendo as kiddy.  I decided to make a video discussing this sentiment.  Take a look at my video and let's talk:  

Edited by NexusNine, 20 August 2016 - 12:58 PM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

I dunno.  I think, for me, it boils down to the fact that each console needs to bring something to the table that sets it apart from the other two - whether it be exclusive games or more "power" or fancier graphics capabilities or what-have-you - and Nintendo's positioning there continues to be their proprietary characters, all of whom are grounded in that cartoonier style that, for better or worse, isn't going to pull in the gamer fanboys in the same way that whizz-bang graphics games are going to.  I also think the Wii U lost a lot of ground by being released so much earlier than the other two.  It made it look like Nintendo didn't think it could compete with the big boys and were trying to get what they could be being first-to-market.  Once the other two came out and folks started to choose sides, there wasn't much reason to go back and say "Eh, guess I'll ignore these two and go back to that console that came out last year." (Unless Mario, et. al. are really THAT much more important to you to make it worth it.)
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Good topic for discussion. I'm not really sure why the Wii U wasn't embraced. I think Niko makes a good point about the early release hurting it. Sure Nintendo got its next gen console out on the market before Sony or Microsoft but I don't think they did a good enough job promoting it. It felt like the Wii U was just a slightly updated Wii system and not a brand new console. Think about all the marketing they did for the original Wii. It was smart, it focused on the new controls and different ways to play, and on how it was fun for the whole family. The Wii U marketing just wasn't as powerful. It didn't seem like it was marketed as the next gen console that it was.

I think marketing is still a problem for it. I can't remember the last time I came across a news item on Yahoo about the Wii U, but I encounter several about the PS4 and Xbox One every few weeks. It just seems as if no one is talking about the Wii U.

For me personally, I picked the PS4 because it had more exclusive games that I wanted to play compared to either the Xbox One or Wii U. I will admit I was tempted to get a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 because I absolutely loved the first one. While I like Mario and Zelda they're not big draws for me so they didn't make me want to buy that console when it came out.

I also agree with you Nexus that the Wii U, and the Wii before it, does have a problem with people thinking it's more of a "kiddy" console and more of a gaming platform for families. Not that there's anything wrong with having kid friendly games or a family friendly console. It's just not going to attract hard core gamers. If the Wii U had an exclusive game franchise that was aimed at the more hardcore gaming community it's possible more of them would pick the console up.

I think, for me, it boils down to the fact that each console needs to bring something to the table that sets it apart from the other two - whether it be exclusive games or more "power" or fancier graphics capabilities or what-have-you - and Nintendo's positioning there continues to be their proprietary characters, all of whom are grounded in that cartoonier style that, for better or worse, isn't going to pull in the gamer fanboys in the same way that whizz-bang graphics games are going to.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Sure, games like Mario and Zelda will always attract a loyal fanbase but that doesn't seem to enough anymore. Though you can't fault Nintendo for their handling of the Wii U. As Nexus pointed out in his video the Wii U embraced a lot of third party titles that fans wanted like Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed while also getting the Bayonetta 2 exclusive rights. It just wasn't enough to make fans want to buy it when they could get those games on the other two consoles plus more exclusive games.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'm not sure if it was an early release that really hurt it, as the Wii was going well into its 7th year on the market when the Wii U came out.  It was about the right time to make the change to a new console.  But I do agree that marketing was a bit off and confusing.  A lot of people thought the Wii U was an add on for the original Wii.  What my concern in this video is that when the gamers called for mature games, those games did come out.  Now that fewer mature titles are reaching the system, I have to question why gamers are complaining now that mature titles aren't there when we were given them in the beginning and given every opportunity to show Nintendo that we supported mature games on their platforms but didn't.  I'm sure the problem exists on both sides to some extent.  I'm hoping that the Switch doesn't run into the same problems.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users