• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

Has anyone been following this in the news. I have only started following it very recently.

Note: I may get some facts wrong as I am still trying to get up to speed, which is difficult when this story is barely covered by major news outlet.

Basically since Keystone XL Pipeline didn't get approve, this is the sequel, the new idea to ship oil in a pipeline across the midwest, this one by Energy Transfer Partners.

IIRC the pipeline was originally to go near Bismarck (North Dakota capital) but didn't get a path approved there. However it did get approval to go near the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in North Dakota. I *believe* that it is on former reservation land (and presume former means the U.S. government broke a treaty). In any case, the oil company wants the pipe to pass under the river about 1 mile from their water intake of the only source of water for their tribe. And it isn't only their water they are worried about, this is part of the Missouri river, a spill could be catastrophic downstream as well.

Add it this that this is sacred land for them. They have prayer sites there, plus burial grounds containing the remains of their ancestors.

This matter has attracted protestors, both native and non-native, from all across the U.S.

Protestors have been overwhelming peaceful, remaining non-violent and unarmed. It has involved trespassing (again - in an attempt to protect their sacred sites and their sole water source, the Missouri river).

Despite this matter being before the court the Army Corps of Engineers approve the oil company's plan.

Despite this matter being before the courts the oil company bulldozed some land anyways, which the protestors say includes their sacred sites.

Despite the protests being overwhelmingly peaceful the oil company has hired private security contractors and protestors have been not just maced with pepper spray but have also had dogs sicced on them with protestors being bitten.

One of the people running for President was actually up there recently, and is actually up on charges for trespassing and vandalism (they spray painted on a bulldozer).

One news source suggested that the major news outlets haven't cover this (despite how, at this point, it lends itself to a if-it-bleeds-it-leads kind of story) is because through ad dollars they are supported by oil companies, and the banks involved. They said that often on major news channels you will see ads by oil companies that aren't even selling anything (but the image they want to project), and that companies sometimes do this as a way of supporting news-outlets - which may get them some leeway. I remember seeing ads like that and I haven't watched T.V. on cable in a couple of years.

One of the court rulings is expected tomorrow, though I expect no matter what side wins that it will be appealed.

Edited by sierraleone, 09 September 2016 - 06:40 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

I've been following it from the start, and I am sick at heart. What happened to my country? The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave? Just a big ad campaign, and now tptb have decided that those of us who dig deeper to find out what's really going on, in spite of the lack of media coverage, simply don't count.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

Note: I read somewhere that this is the largest gathering / protests by Native Americans in over 100 years.

Some major media outlets are touching on this now, barely. It deserves just as much coverage, if not more, as the occupations protesting the Bureau of Land Management (and no, I am not comparing the motives/causes...).

The DAPL protests have been visited/supported by environmental groups, as well as Black Lives Matter. (Don't see All Lives Matter people there... wonder why that is...).

I have found some articles that go a bit into the minutia of the history, back to the treaties. It may not (and some might argue should not) change anyone's opinion on who is right or wrong here and now, but I like minutia, so for anyone else interested:

http://www.theatlant...k-sioux/499178/

This one focuses more on the recent protests in detail:

http://www.theglobea...rticle31764530/

This last article talks about todays developments. First the company building the pipeline won the court case, then 3 federal agencies have done a temporary intervention (at least one of which had approved this construction in the first place). I wonder why, is it actually a change of conscience and/or are they worried about the escalation of this conflict? Whether the companies are legally required to stop based on this intervention, which conflicts with the court decision?

http://indiancountry...-doj-doi-165743

I can understand that some people might think pipelines protestors are short-sighted. Pro-pipeline people argue that transporting oil using trucks and trains uses more fossil files, so pipelines are more efficient. Also, spills can (and do) happen with trucks and trains. However, I would imagine that spills from trucks and trains are on average less damaging than pipelines. From detection, to location & access, to the max spillable volume, it would seem truck and train oil spills should be easier to deal with.

The only argument I could seeing being made, if one determines we absolutely have to have gas and oil development and have it accompanied by pipelines, is that the protestors are just being all NIMBY about this. (NIMBY = not in my back yard, a pejorative characterization of opposition by residents to a proposal for a new development because it is close to them, such as a prison or a nuclear power plant).

However, if there was any group on the planet that should be able to say NIMBY, our consultation and approval is required, it should be the indigenous people whose rights, and back yards, have been trampled and taken away, thoroughly and repeatedly, ad nauseam.

Human beings are very adaptable, but one thing we can't adapt to is living without clean water.

Edited by sierraleone, 10 September 2016 - 01:04 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

Oh, I forgot to include the link for 12 ways one can support the DAPL protesters:

http://gozamos.com/2...red-stone-camp/

- Masha Gessen

#5 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

Well, the Native Americans are not the only ones that are against this pipeline. There are many of us against it, and I believe it's just one more reason why "the mustache" (branstad) ran for governor of Iowa again.

The problem is, we don't matter. They will stomp all over the people, and take our land, to get it done.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#6 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Obama!  ;)

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Pipeline Explosion Kills 10 Campers in N.M.

http://bients.com/pi...10-campers-n-m/

Federal, state and local authorities are investigating the cause of Saturday’s natural gas pipeline explosion that killed five adults and five children and left two other people in critical condition in southeast New Mexico.
The victims, members of two extended families, were camping early Saturday morning near the Pecos River, about 200 to 300 yards from the below-ground explosion...
The 30-inch pipeline exploded around 5:30 a.m. Saturday, and left a crater about 86 feet long, 46 feet wide and 20 feet deep. Police say the resulting fire probably lasted 30 to 40 minutes. It reportedly was visible about 20 miles to the north in Carlsbad, N.M.
Virtual Flamethrower
Authorities said one end of the ruptured line became a virtual flame-thrower, showering fire on the victims camped beneath a bridge about 200 yards away...
John Somerhalder, president of the pipeline group of El Paso Energy, the parent company of El Paso Natural Gas Co., says his company is cooperating fully with investigators. But he adds he believes the explosion was an accident.
“We saw no indication there was third party damage or foul play,” Somerhalder said. “It is, was a very major tragedy that occurred [Saturday], and it occurred as a result of a rupture of one of our pipelines.”
A New Mexico State Police spokesman said most of the victims were up and some were fishing when the explosion occurred. But they were helpless to escape the inferno...
Balderston said the area is not a developed camping area, but is popular with area residents because it provides easy access to the Pecos River.
“They were there to enjoy the shade the bridge offered,” Balderston said.
The pipeline was 5 to 6 feet underground at the rupture point, El Paso Natural Gas Co. spokeswoman Norma Dunn said today...
Dunn said the bridge carries the pipeline across the river. The pipeline then goes underground, and the explosion occurred on the east side of the river, she said.
The explosion occurred in an area where the pipeline crosses the river. It is isolated and unpopulated, with the surrounding terrain dotted with scrub and creosote. Amid the desolate surroundings today sat the broken and blackened pipeline.
Could Have Been Anything
Dunn said the explosion could have been touched off by anything — from a spark generated by rocks striking each other, someone lighting a cigarette or coal from a barbecue.

I can't help but notice how little attention this is getting. :mad:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Note: with respect to how they prefer to be called I am going to start referring to the activist/protestors on the ground as protectors.

With the charges against Jill Stein I figure it was just because she is a public figure and they have video proof, so no problem identifying her, unlike the thousands of people from all across North American on the ground. And she was actively involved supporting the protectors. I love the cheekiness of her spray painted sentence "I approve this message".

Now there is an arrest warrant out for the news reporter that was on the ground covering the story who manage to catch on video the security guards siccing their dogs on the protectors... The charge is trespassing, but if the authorities issue is with trespassing their focus should be on the trespassing protectors, to focus it on a reporter seems to intend a chilling effect on reporting what is going on. Which is probably their intention.

http://www.democracy..._issued_for_amy

Edited by sierraleone, 11 September 2016 - 07:33 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

I hadn't really thought about the timing/time-line of the recent happenings near Standing Rock, but I found a article lays it out perfectly.

A property owner there, before the construction came to his property, was wondering if there was some native graves on his property in the path of DAPL. He got an expert in native archeology and they did a survey of his property starting Sun Aug 29th and went on for four days identifying dozens of important historical markings, 27 of which indicates burials, with GPS co-ordinates.

Friday Sep 2 they filed in the federal court requesting an immediate injunction on the construction path approaching the area, but still many miles away. DAPL lawyers and management were dutifully notified of these, including their precise locations as laid out in the filing.  

Within hours, on Sep 3 (note, the Saturday of the long weekend, when almost *no* construction takes place), the construction workers and equipment skipped the intervening miles between where they were and the sacred ground was (20 miles IIRC) and bulldozed the sacred sites.

That was the day that the protectors crossed a fence (onto the land of the owner who had gotten the native sites documented - presumably DAPL has an eminent domain on their side). That was also the day that their were private security contractors with dogs and pepper spray used.

This was on a long weekend, a day after the company got notification of location of sacred sites in court filings, miles from where their continuous construction had reached, with private security contractors armed with pepper spray and dogs. This was purposeful provocation, intended to either take the spirit out of the protectors through despair and/or escalate the conflict by inciting the protectors to a more assertive/aggressive stand to make it seem that the protectors were the aggressors and in the wrong.

Source:
http://indiancountry...-sacred-grounds

I don't know if this is a co-incident or not (it would require the DAPL to know Native American history) but Sep 3 also happen to be the anniversary of the Whitestone Massacre, near this same territory.

I remember reading some comment on-line by someone saying that sometimes the Native Americans make false claims of sacred sites and/or burial grounds just to stop development when it can be proven they are making it up. They said that Native Americans had made claims of burial grounds before and no bodies could be found. I just ignored it as some ugly on-line commentator at the time. But I am going to share a quote from the end of above article which explains how Native Americans can have burial grounds without buried bodies:

As far as burial sites, our people didn't bury anyone in dirt. They were placed on scaffolds so the body could be given back to Mother Earth, however, the scaffold place was marked. Tim Mentz found 27 such final marked resting places before DAPL deleted their sanctity.

ETA: I've confirm the land owner mentioned above says he has had eminent domain used against him and companies behind DAPL have threatened to sue him.
http://www.thedailyb...le-big-oil.html

Edited by sierraleone, 11 September 2016 - 03:28 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

View PostNonny, on 11 September 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

Pipeline Explosion Kills 10 Campers in N.M.

http://bients.com/pi...10-campers-n-m/

I can't help but notice how little attention this is getting. :mad:

And I bet the company at fault there is reallllly glad for that...

I came across an article that beautiful captures sentiments similar to those that have been brought forth in me while following this story.

http://www.inquisitr...waken-a-nation/

- Masha Gessen

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Update today. The intervention by the federal agency temporarily revoking their permissions for construction on land in their jurisdiction (a small plot of land on either side of the river) and requesting the construction company to voluntarily pause construction for 20 miles on the private land on the 20 miles either direction from their jurisdiction does not appear to be legally binding. The protectors have requested a judge to make this binding, they were denied. At the end it says that the company has not signalled its position on the government request.

http://kfor.com/2016...ccess-pipeline/

- Masha Gessen

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

I get the good kind of goosebumps all over watching far flung peoples come to join the protectors at Standing Rock.

I have seen photos of the tribes of the northwest / temperate rainforests of BC and Alaska arriving on the water with their boats (they did a three day trip from Bismark 40 miles to the north). It is on this Facebook background photo at the moment.

I've seen videos of the Aztecs arriving at night (presumably from Mexico). (not the greatest video this one admittedly, being at night).

Today they have had a group from Ecuador arrive, peoples who have had their own fights protecting the Amazon, and indigenous there, from big oil. They also had a group arrive from Hawaii. That is currently the latest video on the same Facebook page as above: Sacred Stone Camp.

Edited by sierraleone, 13 September 2016 - 05:13 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Major pipe line spilled in Alabama, leading to a declared state of emergency. The reason for/focus of the state of emergency does not appear to be for environment reasons but for economic reason, expected to lead to local shortages and local price increases.

http://bipartisanrep...gency-declared/

- Masha Gessen

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

Apparently the tradition of native-land-grabs may be revived again....

A couple Utah congressmen are hoping to make a proposal, called HR5780 and may be voted on in a few weeks, that would result in taking up to 1/4 of Ute tribe's reservation being commandeered, likely for oil and gas interests....

http://thefreethough...07hv3wh6P40u.01
http://www.sltrib.co...ld-be-the-first

- Masha Gessen

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

What has happened, that I remember, in the 10 days since my last post?

The company behind DAPL has bought the private ranch land, which is adjacent to the federal land beside the Missouri river. This is where most of the activism has happened, and where the sacred burial grounds were dug up. This a transaction may be illegal, due to ND laws dating back to the great depression that, IIRC, requires ranch land not be to owned directly by a corp and/or be used for something other than ranching/farming. I assume there was a lot of pressure against the owner(s), perhaps making them liable for obstructing the construction by not securing his land from trespassers or something? (same owner mentioned at end of post #9).

4 days ago Water Protectors were rounded up, and 21 arrested, at a peaceful prayer resisting the pipeline construction. Arrested by cops in riot gear with large guns out.

Per this thread there are questions being voted on for the next Presidential debate that the moderators will pick from the top 30. in 29th place at the moment is one on DAPL, as well as lower rated ones.

- Masha Gessen

#16 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for keep us posted.
Cats will never be extinct!

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

^ Thanks Themis :)

I had read that there was going to be a court ruling on Oct 5th (last Wed) and the only news I found on that date was that the courts were kicking-the-can-down-the-road, so to speak, that is, that they were not going to make their decision that date. And what I found perplexing is what I read gave no idea of the next court date, whether for an actual decision or perhaps more delays. Which makes it difficult to follow the story, especially when their is so little main-stream media news on it.

Today I found out the court made a ruling yesterday, against the Sioux Tribe. There is actually a piece in the Huffington Post.
http://www.huffingto...b_12429026.html

Also democracy now says that another independent Journalist arrested (if not the only, one of the only that is still on the ground covering the protect).
http://www.democracy...nodapl_protests

Edited by sierraleone, 10 October 2016 - 02:29 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

They arrested an actress that was with some protectors, probably because she was recording it and getting it out there via face-book-live and had lots of followers. Shailene Woodley of Divergent and Snowden fame.

TYT is covering it again, and are on-site, and has a 12 min video that gives a pretty good overview of how things are going at the main camp. Sounds like they will be putting up more videos soon.

Journalist Amy Goodman's trespassing charge was dropped, but a "inciting a riot"(?!) charge was levelled against her instead.

Edited by sierraleone, 15 October 2016 - 09:29 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#19 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 15 October 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

They arrested an actress that was with some protectors, probably because she was recording it and getting it out there via face-book-live and had lots of followers. Shailene Woodley of Divergent and Snowden fame.

TYT is covering it again, and are on-site, and has a 12 min video that gives a pretty good overview of how things are going at the main camp. Sounds like they will be putting up more videos soon.

Journalist Amy Goodman's trespassing charge was dropped, but a "inciting a riot"(?!) charge was levelled against her instead.

The trumped-up charges against Amy Goodman are a chilling reminder that fascism is alive and well.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#20 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 16 October 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 15 October 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

The trumped-up charges against Amy Goodman are a chilling reminder that fascism is alive and well.

That doesn't even mention the felonies charges (could add up to a 45 years max sentence) against a documentary filmmaker for filming some  activists that shut down a pipeline valve station (they manually turned off the valve to stop the flow of oil from what I can tell). Democracy Now has a bunch of new DAPL stories I just noticed (haven't been on there in a few days).

Edited by sierraleone, 16 October 2016 - 10:26 AM.

- Masha Gessen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, pipeline, clean water, protests, natives, first nations, media, jill stein

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users