• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

Apparently the prosector's argument was that Amy Goodman is not a real journalist because she isn't 'balanced' enough in her coverage... Matt Taibbi of the Rolling Stone pushed back against that narrative in this piece that I enjoyed. Basically describes the whys of what is wrong with our news media today.

Edited by sierraleone, 16 October 2016 - 12:06 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#22 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

Here is a recent spill on the East Coast that they are trying to prevent entering the local drinking water: http://www.wgal.com/...a-river/7027298

55,000 gallons of gasoline into the Susquehanna river. At 464 miles it is the longest river that drains to the Atlantic on the U.S. coast. It drains into Chesapeake bay. The spill was near Williamsport PA.

- Masha Gessen

#23 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

There has been lots of stuff on independent media sources about many (around the 140 mark IIRC) arrests having been made in the last couple days, which included strip searches on all arrestees it seems, even for misdemeanour charges. This includes independent journalists again.

The pipeline is getting closer to completion. If it isn't completed by Dec 1 a whole bunch of financial partners pull out. Add to that that they are getting much closer to the Missouri river. So I expected an escalation on both sides. Pepper spray has been used again, but they seemed to have learned their lesson the first time regarding PR and siccing dogs on peaceful protectors.

The camp that has most of the protectors on it is called Sacred Stone Camp, and it looks like they have a blog (this is the first time I have come across it), and if this is accurate they are, as of today, basically occupying land where DAPL is going to go thru, that the protectors are calling unceded treaty land (basically treaty land that later the government ignored and drew new reservation borders that were inside the old borders, the unceded land being between the old and new border.). The protectors have also established road blockades according to the below link.

http://sacredstoneca...ine-nodapl-camp

Here is a Huffingtonpost article yesterday detailing the human rights abuses that have alleged to be happening.
http://www.huffingto...b_12599380.html

Edited by sierraleone, 23 October 2016 - 08:24 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#24 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Look like due to the escalation that main-stream-media decided they couldn't ignore it today.

CNN coverage Actually a decent length, but then they do have a lot of ground to cover, having not covered this for months....

Standing Rock has also been visited by 2 more well-known people, Reverend Jesse Jackson, and actor Mark Ruffalo.

Edited by sierraleone, 27 October 2016 - 04:20 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#25 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

There was a piece on NBC evening news.  I've been tuned at various times to CNN, MSNBC and NBC evening news and have probably seen some coverage on all of them.   I hope the Native Americans can win this one.  Oil pipelines are dangerous unless they're running through wastelands or deserts and this one isn't.  I'm sure there would be a LOT more media coverage if said media weren't spending 75% of the available air time on the latest idiotic statements from the Republican candidate.  I occasionally tune to BBC World News because at least they cover something besides the danged election.  However, I don't think I've seen coverage of this issue on that network.  Anyway, it's this insane election that is preventing more media coverage of this issue.  IMO.
Cats will never be extinct!

#26 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

This is a despicable continuing  infringement upon the Water Protector people. Hopefully enough attention raised will cause the government to intervene permanently on their behalf. Thank you sierraleone for keeping us informed and up to date here on EI.

#27 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

^Yes, I second that. The continued assault on the rights and habitats of indigenous peoples across the globe is one the biggest issues of our time, yet it's so rarely covered that very few people even know it's still happening. I remember when the movie Avatar came out it got a ton of criticism for dealing with this issue that was supposedly overdone and not relevant anymore.

#28 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostThemis, on 27 October 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

Oil pipelines are dangerous unless they're running through wastelands or deserts and this one isn't.

Oil pipelines are dangerous, period. Deserts are places of great beauty, and hardly wastelands, and wastelands are just places we don't recognize the value of, anyway. Why we are still draining oil out of the ground is terrifying, and about to become a tragedy.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#29 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

Apparently some young indigenous people set up a Teepee in Clinton's HQ foyer and basically made her give a statement on it (not in person of course). The statement of course does not actually take a position, but I'll share it anyways. From this link:

The statement from director of coalitions press Xochitl Hinojosa, who oversees Hispanic, black, and women's media for the Clinton campaign, reads in full:

We received a letter today from representatives of the tribes protesting the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. From the beginning of this campaign, Secretary Clinton has been clear that she thinks all voices should be heard and all views considered in federal infrastructure projects. Now, all of the parties involved—including the federal government, the pipeline company and contractors, the state of North Dakota, and the tribes—need to find a path forward that serves the broadest public interest. As that happens, it's important that on the ground in North Dakota, everyone respects demonstrators' rights to protest peacefully, and workers' rights to do their jobs safely.

While it says demonstrators have a right to protest peacefully, it doesn't say the protestors have a right to do so safely, unlike workers working.

And as far as I am concerned the demonstrators/water protectors are doing work. Just because it isn't paid (just like, say, housework or parenting or volunteering), doesn't mean it isn't actually work, or isn't meaningful, important, &/or necessary work. The difference is whether we agree with the work they are doing and the cause that they are doing it for.

The link I got the quote from also has some good reactions from people on-line (inside the article they shared some pithy-ish tweets).

Edited by sierraleone, 28 October 2016 - 05:57 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#30 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

My guess is that like a typical politician, Hillary doesn't want to make any waves or lose Republican votes she's looking for by looking overly progressive supporting the tribes this close to the election. But even if she wins she'd be kicking the can down the road till Inauguration Day. One would hope she would be more supportive to the cause if she wins, but who knows? She's been more sympathetic than I'd like to the energy industry, supporting fracking for instance.

Edited by yadda yadda, 28 October 2016 - 05:22 PM.

#31 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:53 PM

I first saw this on my Facebook feed and now it looks like parts of the story at on Mother Jones.

It looks like DAPL private security may have infiltrated the protectors (this would not be the first time in history of those in power putting their people secretly in the camps of oppressed, either to watch/report, or even instigate or escalate things to make the activist look like the aggressors. Such people are called agent provocateurs). It is not so apparently from the Mother Jones article, but from what I have read on my Facebook feed is that he was among the protectors during Thursdays stand. I have also seen on my Facebook feed (I follow about 3 that regularly cover DAPL) that some protectors think that it might be agents like him that set fire to tires and such yesterday, they claim it didn't come from their people. I am not taking a position on that assertion, and it is possible some people at the encampments (that are not agent provocateurs) have done some not-so-peacefull actions, against the wishes of the camp leaders. Hard to manage the actions of hundreds of people. I just note it to be aware that when reports of non-peaceful actions from the movement are reported on to realize with hundreds, or even more, people involved, it is hard to get all the facts, and we just don't know. And even people on the ground may just not know.

- Masha Gessen

#32 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but this being in a rural area, the local police has asked for assistance from both other counties in their state, as well as out of state police forces.

Thursday's stand showed a very militarized police force, with militarized vehicles, army fatigues, no IDs, huge canisters of pepper-spray, ear-piercing sound cannons, stun-guns, etc.

I came across this article which states using out-of-state police is possible due to a bill signed by President Bill Clinton 20 years ago that created an inter-state agreement for emergency management. It is called the Emergency Management Assistant Compact (EMAC). It is generally meant for natural disasters, most often used for Hurricane relief. The only other time it has been used for something other than that was for the BLM protests in Baltimore MD after Freddie Gray's death. When the ND government declared a state of emergency Aug 19 that allowed other states to offer help.

All 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, participate in EMAC. With language mostly centering around natural disaster relief, the congressional joint resolution creating EMAC also notes it exists to help manage things like “community disorders, insurgency, or [an] enemy attack.”

"Community disorders" is kind of vague. I figure if you have enough people joining activist movements that your local and state police are unable to handle them, perhaps the state should be looking at addressing the concerns or grievances of their constituents. Or is that too much to ask? *sigh*

I think the reasons should be narrowed, make it only for natural and man-made environmental disasters. And only extend it to other civil-matters with some sort of federal approval or federal over-view. If it is to handle citizens and civil disobedience (or even uncivil), either work it out locally, and/or go the federal government for help. That allows citizens to apply pressure (positive or negative) and allow their views to be known to their federal representatives, which may influence whether the federal government will allow out-of-state man-power opposing the activists, and/or apply pressure/assistance to the local government to work through the resolve the issues locally. If that was how it worked, for once I don't think the Republicans at the federal level would be do-nothing obstructionists. Don't think it would be anything good for the activists, but for once, I think they might get something done.

Edited by sierraleone, 29 October 2016 - 02:59 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#33 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:43 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 October 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

My guess is that like a typical politician, Hillary doesn't want to make any waves or lose Republican votes she's looking for by looking overly progressive supporting the tribes this close to the election. But even if she wins she'd be kicking the can down the road till Inauguration Day. One would hope she would be more supportive to the cause if she wins, but who knows? She's been more sympathetic than I'd like to the energy industry, supporting fracking for instance.

I am certain she doesn't want to make waves, but I am less certain of her position, given her strong support of fracking in general. Unless she has evolved on these types of issues, I don't know why she would support Standing Rock Sioux unless it was for PR.

And this part of her statement:

—need to find a path forward that serves the broadest public interest.
does not have me optimistic. The "broadest public interest" has rarely been seen as being served by supporting indigenous rights, or opposing the interests of monied parties and perceived public economic interests.

Environmentalists and conservationists may want to read  " broadest public interest "  as protecting water, land, and air (plus the eco-systems that depend on them, which includes human life). I am highly skeptical.

- Masha Gessen

#34 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 29 October 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 October 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

I am certain she doesn't want to make waves, but I am less certain of her position, given her strong support of fracking in general. Unless she has evolved on these types of issues, I don't know why she would support Standing Rock Sioux unless it was for PR.

And this part of her statement:

—need to find a path forward that serves the broadest public interest.
does not have me optimistic. The "broadest public interest" has rarely been seen as being served by supporting indigenous rights, or opposing the interests of monied parties and perceived public economic interests.

Environmentalists and conservationists may want to read  " broadest public interest "  as protecting water, land, and air (plus the eco-systems that depend on them, which includes human life). I am highly skeptical.

No kidding. I'm not about to forget her ties to Monsanto, nor have I stopped wondering about her alleged participation in a dominionist religious group.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#35 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

In my opinion, the indigenous peoples of North America are the embodiment of the key to fixing everything that's wrong with modern society. After all, everything that's wrong with modern society is inflicted on them in the form of "cultural" disparity.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#36 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

Great interview with Wes Clark Jr. on the climate crisis. He talks about the cause of the Standing Rock protectors and how we can help them in the first few minutes and then again from 25:30-29:30 of the video.

#37 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

It is pretty obvious the company behind DAPL is not respecting the 20 mile voluntary no-construction zone East & West of the Missouri that Obama's administration requested they honour. It was voluntary, so legally they didn't have to respect it.

The more recently put-together northern protector camp was in the direct path of the planned route, on a highway about 3 miles west of the River. That was where the Thursday stand-off happened, and the protectors were forced out and their camps torn down. This construction has destroyed more sacred ground.

The authorities, after that, had the construction site blocked off completely to protestors, as authorities held a bridge between the main longer-standing Sacred Stone Camp, and the construction zone.

The authorities mistreated peoples belongings, including sacred items, which is against proper police procedure, to my understanding. They dumped the belongings back near camp today. http://bsnorrell.blo...e-feathers.html

Technically the Obama administration withdrew the permit for DAPL to drill under the Missouri river, so I assume legally they are supposed to honour that. Last I heard construction has happened up to the place where drilling will start, and they haven't drilled. I don't know if that is because they are honouring the permit withdrawal and/or whether it is because they are not set up/ready on the opposite side of the river yet. At the very least, I assume that some of the construction up to and on the drill site is on federal Army Corps of Engineering land.

Today the protectors have tried crossing the creek between the camp and the construction site and there has been more clashes between peaceful water protectors and cops/DAPL security, with the latter using maze again. (first tried to cross by constructing a ad-hoc bridge for elders to cross over to pray, which was destroyed, then other folks swimming/boating across with a line of police/security on the other side. North Dakota river in November has got to be freezing).

Here are some Facebook feeds that I follow to get on-the-ground information:
https://www.facebook...acredStone/  
https://www.facebook.com/ienearth/
https://www.facebook...twomenwarriors/
https://www.facebook...digenousRising/
https://www.facebook...eopleOfAmerica/

The first is the FB page of the Sacred Stone Camp, that is the name of the main camp where the water protectors are.
The second is the Indigenous Environmental Network, an organization that supports the cross-section between the environment and indigenous culture.
The third and fourth are independent indigenous media producers, West Coast Women Warriors Media Cooperative, and Indigenous Rising Media.
The fifth FB page, Indigenous People of America, is more of a meme-producer (memes I like to be sure ;) ), which disseminates the indigenous news, culture, and history, in meme-ish ways.

Edited by sierraleone, 02 November 2016 - 07:01 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#38 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

In the U.S. they are planning a day of solidarity 1 week after the election, Tue Nov 15, at numerous sites across the country, and they have a page here showing all the locations at the top, with a video from some leading water protectors about this action. There is a search feature on the right hand side to find demonstrations to be held closest to your zip code.
https://actionnetwor...mark&country=US

- Masha Gessen

#39 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Here's an update from Democracy Now on the suspected infilitrator sierraleone mentioned earlier:

#40 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

Shortly after that the police released Kyle Thompson and said he was actually a victim. While I'm normally suspicious of the police, and they do have a long record themselves of trying to infiltrate and sabotage peaceful protests from within, it really seems like there was just a big misunderstanding here and Thompson wasn't attempting to infiltrate them at all. Thompson posted his account of the incident on facebook.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, pipeline, clean water, protests, natives, first nations, media, jill stein

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users