• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

It looks like there is finally one news source that is not either taking the police at their word, or making it just a police-said, protesters-said, situation. They still site statements from both sides, but they comment on what some of the video footage contains, which means it looks like they have viewed some video footage themselves.

http://www.latimes.c...1127-story.html

Videos showed white trails of smoke, showers of orange sparks, and clouds of tear gas hanging overhead as protesters chanted “Water is life” amid urgent shouting for medical assistance.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#62 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:03 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 28 November 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

It looks like there is finally one news source that is not either taking the police at their word, or making it just a police-said, protesters-said, situation. They still site statements from both sides, but they comment on what some of the video footage contains, which means it looks like they have viewed some video footage themselves.

http://www.latimes.c...1127-story.html

Videos showed white trails of smoke, showers of orange sparks, and clouds of tear gas hanging overhead as protesters chanted “Water is life” amid urgent shouting for medical assistance.

The LA Times is a pretty good newspaper. They do a number of investigative reports, like the Washington Post does,  that help to shine a light on subjects that sorely need it. The Times is the paper that I subscribe to since I live in the LA area.

Edited by yadda yadda, 28 November 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#63 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

I don't have access to a link but I read on my Facebook page that 2,000 veterans have showed up at Standing Rock in support of the Water Protectors. They have supposedly occupied and blocked a bridge crucial to the construction effort. The Army Corps of Engineers reportedly has announced a Dec. 4th deadline for the Native American protesters to leave the area.

#64 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

^ Thanks Yadda. I have been feeling a little burnt out. I still have stuff in my Facebook feed of course. But between this, and the election/fall-out, and "shorter days" up here, I am tired. I also hit my cell data-limit for this cycle, so first time checking news today ;) just got home from the grocers.

As for the deadline, the Army Corps say the won't enforce it. The local sheriff threatened to do so but has back down considerable, but the last I heard they were trying to keep supplies from getting thru. Going to see if I can find that the veterans are already there (early!) in my Facebook feed, thanks :)

ETA: I just got back from looking at today's Facebook feed on my account. I don't know if there is more than one group and/or action/demonstration, but the stuff I saw all seemed to take place on the bridge the the *authorities* have had blockaded since the end of Oct. Any water protectors or vets there wouldn't be blocking construction efforts.

Here is also a nice article from The Guardian:
https://www.theguard...ipeline-protest

Edited by sierraleone, 03 December 2016 - 08:09 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#65 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

Wow. Amazing if true.

In my Facebook feed there was a video update/interview with the tribe Chairman (I am fairly certain it is him, I have see his face many times), and he is saying that the Army Corp of Engineers have denied the easement!

Assuming no miscommunication issues, intentional or not (because *that* hasn't happened in American - Indigneous relations before…). I assume this means the easement near Standing Rock, which means it could be re-routed, though that would be expensive. It is possible that the Army Corp of Engineers is just saying we need to look at it again, it is denied for now, while we do more consultation or environmental reviews. Some commenters think this might just be a way to try to convince non-local water protectors to leave the camps so they can try again later, with less scrutiny.

One source I have says that it is on MSNBC on television, but there is no link to a on-line "print" main-stream news media source confirming this at this time.

Edited by sierraleone, 04 December 2016 - 04:40 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#66 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

I just saw on FB a Raw Story article giving pretty much the same information, that the Secretary of the Army had contacted the tribal leaders and told them the construction permit was being denied and that the Army Corps of Engineers would be re-routing the project away from Standing Rock. I so hope this is true!

Edited by yadda yadda, 04 December 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#67 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

Snopes is reporting the denial of the easement by the Army Corps of Engineers as fact, and I saw a link to NPR reporting the same thing. It looks like the real deal unless Trump is able to do something underhanded after Jan 20.

#68 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Not that I am surprised, but basically the Army Corp was over-ruled, and both the Army Corp and the person who denied the easement says the original decision comported entirely with the law.  

http://www.msn.com/e...oval/ar-AAlgVkq

- Masha Gessen

#69 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

I was following up on the DAPL story, and it appears, according to videos, that DAPl is still doing construction on (and perhaps under?) the drill pad. And considering their is snow covering the ground in the video, it is pretty clear it is recent, and very likely after the decision came down denying the permit to drill.

TYT politics reporter reported that the Army Corps of engineer has said that they will raise the water levels in the river (via dams) to prevent drilling. This also has the possibility of flooding the Oceti Sakowin Camp, as it is pretty low-lying unlike the other two on the Reservation 'proper', though Oceti Sakowin is probably about half full (people-wise) compared to its height.

How it was explain to the reporter is that raising the water levels makes the drilling less stable. I don't know if it is true, but I believe it. It sounds reasonable. But I also don't believe that it will stop a determined company from drilling. So, lets say the water level is raised 10 feet. That is 20 extra feet on each side of the river that they will have to drill thru a water table. The lake Oahe's maximum depths is 205 ft. I assume that is nearer the dam, Cannonball is nearing the tail end of the reservoir lake Oahe. I don't know how deep it is near Cannonball ND. Lets say it is 50 ft deep. Excluding sideways drilling, that is 100 feet of drilling under a water table. The company has to drill under the water table regardless. Is really adding 20 feet, when they are loosing 2 million a week, really going to stop them, if they want to drill?

Edited by sierraleone, 11 December 2016 - 01:53 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#70 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:14 PM

It has been a while since my last post in here. There was been a small altercation recently in regards to DAPL, though that wasn't why I am posting today.

I am following up on this post:

View Postsierraleone, on 22 September 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

Apparently the tradition of native-land-grabs may be revived again....

A couple Utah congressmen are hoping to make a proposal, called HR5780 and may be voted on in a few weeks, that would result in taking up to 1/4 of Ute tribe's reservation being commandeered, likely for oil and gas interests....

http://thefreethough...07hv3wh6P40u.01
http://www.sltrib.co...ld-be-the-first

Obama Designates Two New National Monuments in Nevada and Utah

The states and those that want to use the land for other things are of course not happy. For the part most relevant to the topic of this thread:

In a statement, Obama said the designations "protect some of our country's most important cultural treasures, including abundant rock art, archaeological sites, and lands considered sacred by Native American tribes."

The designation is a wind for a number of groups. Environmental activists and Native American tribes have been fighting for protection of both areas for years and are applauding the decision.

The Navajo, Hopi, Uintah & Ouray Ute, Ute Mountain Ute and Zuni all have ancestral ties to Bears Ears. Under the new designation, they'll co-manage the national monument with the federal government and will still be allowed to access the land for tribal ceremonies, firewood and herb collection, hunting, grazing and outdoor recreation.

"As a coalition of five sovereign Native American tribes in the region, we are confident that today's announcement of collaborative management will protect a cultural landscape that we have known since time immemorial," said Alfred Lomahquahu, vice chairman of Hope Tribe.

Edited by sierraleone, 28 December 2016 - 09:57 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#71 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

North Dakota state legislator is looking at making laws making it harder to peacefully protest without either breaking the law, or expect to be protected from drivers on the road.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...sters-1.3933433

North Dakota's Republican-led and largely oil-friendly legislature is quickly introducing a raft of bills spurred by the bitter dispute between Dakota Access protesters and law enforcement, from restricting face coverings at protests to requiring the state to sue the federal government as a means of recouping millions in policing costs.
Faced with protest-weary constituents, lawmakers have put forth several bills in the young biennial session — and more may be coming. Among them are: making it a crime for adults to wear masks in most cases — similar to one that lasted for nearly 50 years that was aimed at the Ku Klux Klan — and exempting a driver from liability if they unintentionally injure or kill a pedestrian obstructing traffic on a public road or highway. Another, now-withdrawn measure would have had the state try to claim land and valuable mineral rights in the pipeline's path under the Missouri River as reimbursement for state law enforcement costs.

One may say that protestors should have to uncover their faces, and be willing to take the full risk of standing for the causes they believe in. However, that risk shouldn't include frostbite. That is a real risk outdoors almost 1/2 the year in North Dakota (ND daily mean temperature below freezing 5 months of the year), and most protests take place outdoors. To not allow people to dress for the weather is a health and safety issue. During warming weather protestors may be using face/eye coverings to protect themselves from prepper spray.

When I had first heard the proposed driver liability change it was not clear it likely only counts when the injury/death was unintentional. However, I don't think protestors should be treated differently from other pedestrians. And intentional/unintentional gets into intent, which, while does factor into charges and sentences, is very subjective and can be twisted. Such as people getting off on murder charges because they were mad or afraid ("crime of passion"). That is a scary road to go down when you are dealing with people controlling pieces of equipment weighing 4000 pounds.

Edited by sierraleone, 16 January 2017 - 07:25 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#72 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

In the last week the Standing Rock reservation voted to close down the protector's camps. Partly due to safety (at least one is in a flood zone), and partly because the barrier on a major highway is still up (which Morton county is also complaining about) - also a safety issue because of the length of time all traffic including emergency traffic gets re-routed. It appears law enforcement has managed to justify keeping it there due to on-going confrontations with protectors.

And, Trump today has signed executive orders pushing forward on DAPL, as well as reviving Keystone XL.

I assume that the EIS (environment impact statement) that was ordered by the Corps in the last month under Obama is suddenly going to disappear…..

- Masha Gessen

#73 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 24 January 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

In the last week the Standing Rock reservation voted to close down the protector's camps. Partly due to safety (at least one is in a flood zone), and partly because the barrier on a major highway is still up (which Morton county is also complaining about) - also a safety issue because of the length of time all traffic including emergency traffic gets re-routed. It appears law enforcement has managed to justify keeping it there due to on-going confrontations with protectors.

And, Trump today has signed executive orders pushing forward on DAPL, as well as reviving Keystone XL.

I assume that the EIS (environment impact statement) that was ordered by the Corps in the last month under Obama is suddenly going to disappear…..

It sucks, but no surprise.  :(

#74 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

And in Iowa, where we also didn't want this:
While Eyes Were On Standing Rock, The Dakota Pipeline Was Being Drilled Under Another Water Source

Who cares about a small population? They don't matter.

And:
Iowa woman arrested on own property for interfering with DAPL construction

And yes, with the Republicans in control, it is going to get worse.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#75 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 24 January 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

It sucks, but no surprise.  :(

I am not surprised, but I am still disgusted and outraged.

- Masha Gessen

#76 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

Local news source in North Dakota is quoting a Senator of their saying an announcement is soon that will be allowing the permit.

http://www.kfyrtv.co...-412351233.html

“We are also working with the Corps, the Department of Justice, the Department of Interior and the Department of Homeland Security to secure additional federal law enforcement resources to support state and local law enforcement. On Sunday, 20 additional Bureau of Indian Affairs law enforcement officers arrived at Standing Rock to assist local authorities.

- Masha Gessen

#77 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

When the final permit was given to drill under the lake (Feb 8th or 9th) and DAPL officially" started drilling under lake Oahe. DAPL said around that time that it would be a soon as 60 days for drilling/construction to be completed, and the pipeline would be full operational as soon as 90 days.

Now they are saying it could be operational as soon as two weeks. That is far ahead of schedule.

What did they do? Start drilling before they had legal permission? And/Or: have they been reckless and hurrying their work, answering to their investors and their profit motive? They had a bunch of contracts hinging on being operational earlier than this….

- Masha Gessen

#78 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

So, DAPL is scheduled to be fully operational on June 1st. It has already spilled oil.

The started moving oil in it in the first week of April. On April 4th there was a DAPL spill in South Dakota.

We are only learning about it now because it was not announced publicly at the time. It, yes, is a spill on the small size (84 gallons), and according to the state it did not threaten public health, a fishery, or drinking water. The size isn't the point here, the DAPL owners claims they were using state-of-the-art safety features on their pipeline so chances of a leak are small... and it is leaking in the first week of oil moving through it!

http://www.thepublic...54ab56fbd9.html

Edited by sierraleone, 11 May 2017 - 03:30 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#79 cade

cade
  • Islander
  • 413 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

https://theintercept...e-insurgencies/

A SHADOWY INTERNATIONAL mercenary and security firm known as TigerSwan targeted the movement opposed to the Dakota Access Pipeline with military-style counterterrorism measures, collaborating closely with police in at least five states, according to internal documents obtained by The Intercept. The documents provide the first detailed picture of how TigerSwan, which originated as a U.S. military and State Department contractor helping to execute the global war on terror, worked at the behest of its client Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the Dakota Access Pipeline, to respond to the indigenous-led movement that sought to stop the project.

Internal TigerSwan communications describe the movement as “an ideologically driven insurgency with a strong religious component” and compare the anti-pipeline water protectors to jihadist fighters. One report, dated February 27, 2017, states that since the movement “generally followed the jihadist insurgency model while active, we can expect the individuals who fought for and supported it to follow a post-insurgency model after its collapse.” Drawing comparisons with post-Soviet Afghanistan, the report warns, “While we can expect to see the continued spread of the anti-DAPL diaspora … aggressive intelligence preparation of the battlefield and active coordination between intelligence and security elements are now a proven method of defeating pipeline insurgencies.”

More than 100 internal documents leaked to The Intercept by a TigerSwan contractor, as well as a set of over 1,000 documents obtained via public records requests, reveal that TigerSwan spearheaded a multifaceted private security operation characterized by sweeping and invasive surveillance of protesters.

As policing continues to be militarized and state legislatures around the country pass laws criminalizing protest, the fact that a private security firm retained by a Fortune 500 oil and gas company coordinated its efforts with local, state, and federal law enforcement to undermine the protest movement has profoundly anti-democratic implications.

In recent weeks, the company’s role has expanded to include the surveillance of activist networks marginally related to the pipeline, with TigerSwan agents monitoring “anti-Trump” protests from Chicago to Washington, D.C., as well as warning its client of growing dissent around other pipelines across the country.

In a March 24 report discussing the likely revival of protests as summer approaches, TigerSwan writes, “Much like Afghanistan and Iraq, the ‘Fighting Season’ will soon be here with the coming warming temperatures."

#80 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

^ Thank you for posting that Cade, I don't think it would have come to my notice.

The article looks lengthy, but I'll comment on the part you quoted before I have time to check out the rest.

Internal TigerSwan communications describe the movement as “an ideologically driven insurgency with a strong religious component” and compare the anti-pipeline water protectors to jihadist fighters.

QUITE the comparison. They use scary sounding words because they have been used to describe terrorist movement, but there is actually nothing really descriptive in that quote.

Ideology … Capitalism is an ideology. Definition:
1:  visionary theorizing
2a:  a systematic body of concepts especially about human life or culture
2b:  a manner or the content of thinking characteristic of an individual, group, or culture
2c:  the integrated assertions, theories and aims that constitute a sociopolitical program

Insurgency? Phhhht. Do they mean overwhelmingly peaceful uprising?

Ideology driven insurgency with a strong religious component? Ummm, driven by what? Their respect for life, and its basic requirement, water? That ideology with a religious component?

Most religions seem to tilt pro-life, at least in pretty generic terms. Life is the whole reason we exist. And life depends on clean water and functioning healthy eco-systems.

“While we can expect to see the continued spread of the anti-DAPL diaspora … aggressive intelligence preparation of the battlefield and active coordination between intelligence and security elements are now a proven method of defeating pipeline insurgencies.”

They are giving themselves quite the pat on the back for ending the North Dakota DAPL protests. I wouldn't give them much credit here. The anti-DAPL movement lost to a corporation with deep pockets and resources, a corporation that took advantage of a change in political office to win a fight that the anti-DAPL movement was just barely prevailing against before. I haven't check for an update, but as I understand it this matter is before the courts again.

As policing continues to be militarized and state legislatures around the country pass laws criminalizing protest, the fact that a private security firm retained by a Fortune 500 oil and gas company coordinated its efforts with local, state, and federal law enforcement to undermine the protest movement has profoundly anti-democratic implications.
In recent weeks, the company’s role has expanded to include the surveillance of activist networks marginally related to the pipeline, with TigerSwan agents monitoring “anti-Trump” protests from Chicago to Washington, D.C., as well as warning its client of growing dissent around other pipelines across the country.

In a March 24 report discussing the likely revival of protests as summer approaches, TigerSwan writes, “Much like Afghanistan and Iraq, the ‘Fighting Season’ will soon be here with the coming warming temperatures."

This chills me. Before I had a tiny understanding of what other countries felt when occupied by American forces, and that understanding grows.

Edited by sierraleone, 27 May 2017 - 11:25 AM.

- Masha Gessen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, pipeline, clean water, protests, natives, first nations, media, jill stein

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users