Details in this thread

Quantum Break

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Rather impulsively I bought an Xbox One. I had been planning on buying one eventually and decided to just get it now. Maybe not the best decision ever but oh well. I bought Quantum Break (as well as Rise of the Tomb Raider).

QB is about Jack Joyce (played by Shawn Ashmore) who is invited back to his hometown after six years away by his old friend Paul Serene. Paul, and Jack's older brother Will, have been working on a ground breaking new technology: time travel. However, Will has become determined to end it. Paul wants Jack's help to finish the project before it gets shut down. Well, things naturally go wrong and time gets fractured and Jack gets new powers. He is then hunted by an organization called Monarch.

I've played the first act so far and this is a fun game. Four time powers have been unlocked so far. The first one mainly acts as a radar, showing enemy locations and helpful items. The second power is time stop, which allows Jack to stop time in a small area. This is really useful against enemies and also in the small platforming segment that was in the game. The third power is time dodge, a powerful dodging move that you can also use to slow down time and focus, allowing you to kill an enemy rather easily. The fourth power is time shield, which creates a shield around you for a limited time. The powers are pretty fun, and have made the combat interesting. The powers are limited, so you can't just spam them.

The combat mainly consists of using the powers and whatever weapons you can find. You have a handgun that has unlimited ammo, but it's not very powerful. You can also pick up whatever weapons you can find, though you're limited to just one weapon plus the handgun. The shoot-outs have been fun and the environments are easily destroyed which gives the weapons and powers a big impact.

The story is good so far and seems like it's going to be pretty complex. All of the actors are solid.

The graphics are amazing. They are definitely some of the best graphics from any game this generation.

There are choices to be made in the game that will affect how the game turns out. After the end of Act 1 I took control over the main villain who had to make a choice between killing the witnesses or manipulating them and the media. What's nice is that you're given a peek at what affect your choice will have, at least in the short term. I let the witnesses live because it promised to give me information on Monarch, even if it did turn Jack into a wanted terrorist. I think these choices will help make the game re-playable just to see how things could have turned out.

A more controversial aspect of the game are the live action episodes at the end of every act. I watched the first one and it was about 20 to 30 minutes in length. It features the actors from the game still playing their characters and just furthers the story and gives more insight into the characters and the plot. I liked episode 1. It fleshed out some characters and had some nice action in it as well. I understand that some gamers may not want that long of a break between the actual gameplay but the episodes can be fast-forwarded through.

So far I'm loving this game and can't wait to see what happens next.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

This is on my radar due to being a fan of Shawn Ashmore (which I mentioned somewhere else around here recently :) ).  It sounds pretty fun from your description, but it's not must-have enough for me to buy an Xbox for.  And... actually, I just googled it to remind me of something, and I see that it's getting a Steam release, so yay! :)   I'll have to check it out on PC, then.

Or, I wonder... are the episodes online somewhere accessible without playing the game?  I'm a little tempted to just watch a Let's Play for this one, tbh.

Edited by Niko, 25 September 2016 - 09:13 PM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

I really enjoyed this game. It had a great story that put a lot of effort into making time travel make sense and be internally consistent. I truly came to care for these characters. While the shooting sections weren't anything to write home about, the time travel powers made the shoot-outs a lot of fun. I liked the episodes and felt that they did add a lot to the game. It will be interesting to play it again and make different choices just to see how it could all play out.

This is on my radar due to being a fan of Shawn Ashmore (which I mentioned somewhere else around here recently :) ).

I'm a fan of his too and that was one of the primary reasons I checked this game out.

It sounds pretty fun from your description, but it's not must-have enough for me to buy an Xbox for.

I don't blame you. It's a fun game and if you do end up buying an Xbox I recommend giving it a shot.

Or, I wonder... are the episodes online somewhere accessible without playing the game?  I'm a little tempted to just watch a Let's Play for this one, tbh.

I don't know if they're online anywhere. Though I don't think watching them outside of the game would do much for you since they are dependent on choices you make and knowing who some of these characters are. I'm not sure if they would be in a Let's Play video, though. Something to check out.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users