Elementary Season 5

Elementary CBS Sherlock Holmes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

The new season of Elementary starts tonight.

"Folie a Deux" - When a serial bomber becomes active again after being dormant for six years, Watson seeks help from Shinwell Johnson (Nelsan Ellis), a former patient whose life she saved when she was a surgeon. Also, Holmes senses Watson is unhappy and questions whether she is still fulfilled by her detective career, on the fifth season premiere of ELEMENTARY.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

Sorry, but I gotta nitpick.  At the very beginning when they tasered the guy to keep him from jumping off the roof.  Joan tasered him, and Sherlock shoved him backwards to make sure he would fall onto the roof and not off the ledge.  But the taser was still going when Sherlock shoved him, shouldn't he have been shocked as well??

Overall it was a good episode.  Though I loved Sherlock trying too hard to find common ground with Shinwell, that was such an awkward conversation!  :lol:  

Sherlock: So, what kind of name is Shinwell?
Shinwell: What kind of name is Sherlock?
Sherlock: ...

:lol:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 05 October 2016 - 08:27 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

I liked the episode, but I do wish there had been more to the mystery. Sherlock was 100% sure that the man they arrested was the bomber and the show never did enough to make us question that. Not even when that bomb went off when the first bomber was being watched by cops made Sherlock doubt it was him. He just figured the guy had an accomplice, and he was right.

The lackluster mystery aside, I liked the character work done here. Sherlock is afraid that Watson no longer loves being a detective, and he's not exactly wrong. Joan is just tired of punishing people and no longer helping them. Even Sherlock doesn't need her help anymore. Still, she found a new way to help in the form of Shinwell. I wonder if that character will turn up again? Since he was hiding a gun behind his back when Joan came to visit him I'm guessing someone is after him. If he doesn't return, maybe we will see Joan help other ex-convicts try to adjust to life outside prison.

Overall it was a good episode.  Though I loved Sherlock trying too hard to find common ground with Shinwell, that was such an awkward conversation!

It was a great conversation, especially Sherlock bringing up the fact that Shinwell used to sell drugs and that Sherlock used to use them.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

Shinwell will recur this season.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

There were a number of finales this spring that I wanted to comment on, but didn't find the time.  This is one of them.

The S5 finale was in 2 parts, and if I had realized that I would have saved it and watched them together.  I wish I had.  There was a rather jaw dropping reveal at the end that left me ... wishing that I had paid more attention to the details in part 1!  :oh:  The B-plot has a slow buildup, and seems minor at first.  To anyone who has not finished watching the season yet, I recommend paying close attention to various details in the 2 part finale.  That bombshell at the end!  :eek:

In sad news, I just found out that the actor who played Shinwell has recently died, at age 39.  :(  Apparently he had some trouble with addiction, and after failing at rehab, tried to quit at home.  Where the alcohol withdrawal symptoms proved fatal.  :( :( :(  Here is one article, and here is another.  :humble:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I sussed out the B-plot pretty early on.
Spoiler

Nothing succeeds like excess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elementary, CBS, Sherlock Holmes

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users