• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

THE CW HAS A NEW HERO AND SHE'S BRINGING SUPERMAN WITH HER - When a new threat emerges in National City, Kara/Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) teams up with her cousin, Clark Kent/Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin), to stop it. Kara is thrilled to have family in town but it leaves Alex (Chyler Leigh) feeling a bit left out. Meanwhile, Hank (David Harewood) and Supergirl are stunned by the pod that came crashing to Earth.

I'm so excited for this! I loved Supergirl last season and it looks like this season is going to be even better. I'm ready to see Tyler Hoechlin's Clark/Superman as well. The only thing that sucks is I have a night class and won't be able to watch the episode while it airs.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

That episode was full of win. There was just so much to love. It was definitely a strong premiere.

Tyler Hoechlin as Superman was simply fantastic. He was great as both Clark and Superman. His Clark was slightly nerdy and oaf-ish, but not in a cartoon-ish way. His Superman was pitch perfect. This is the Superman that I wish Henry Cavill had been able to play in his movies. A Superman that clearly loves what he's doing and is there to be good and to set an example. He gave Kara some good advice while acknowledging that he struggles with finding balance in his life. After seeing his portrayal here, I am totally down to get a series starring him as Superman.

Oh, and I loved all the call-outs to the Superman movies. Miss Tessmacher, the line about flying being the safest way to travel, Luthor starting an earthquake in California, etc. Plus a reference to Perry White saying Great Caesar's Ghost (though I've always preferred the Perry from Lois and Clark referring to Elvis), and a phone call from Lois who is in a relationship with Clark.

This was a pretty big episode for Kara as she makes two important decisions. She decides to become a reporter at CatCo. I was wondering what her new job would be because there's no one career that she is associated with. She's had several different jobs throughout her history, one as a TV reporter so this isn't just pulled from nowhere.. It will be interesting to see what kind of reporter she becomes, and what kind of stories she will be able to pursue working at CatCo.

Her next big decision was to end her relationship with Jimmy before it even began. It sucks that after an entire season of build up the relationship is killed before it can truly begin but I think it will help the show in the long run. The two never had great romantic chemistry, and I do think they work better as friends. It does make me curious as to whether Kara will be the character that comes out of the closet. I always assumed it would be a more supporting character but maybe it will be the main star.

The interaction between Clark and Kara was spot on. It was easy to believe they were cousins. They had a natural rapport with each other and worked well together both in their super hero identities and investigating the attacks on Lena. I loved how Kara told the kids that she used to change Clark's diapers. It was such a funny moment.

I have to say, I was afraid that the loss of budget and move to another city would hurt the show but, at least with this episode, it didn't. There were a ton of special effects here. Supergirl and Superman saving the Venture, going after the drones spread throughout the city, and holding up and repairing a collapsing building. The episode took advantage of having set pieces that you really couldn't do with other heroes. I also liked seeing them save people. Clark's rescue of the family was awesome, as was the line about moving back to Gotham. Kara saving Jimmy and the woman from falling debris was great as well. I'm sure forthcoming episodes won't be so spectacle heavy but at least the show is still able to show off some cool action.

It still looked like the National City from season 1. I thought the exterior scenes would come to resemble all the other shows shot in Vancouver.

Winn joins the DEO which is a good move. It brings him closer to the action and means he can be used more when it comes to Supergirl's missions. I liked how he geeked out over meeting Superman and couldn't figure out how to address J'onn at the end. I also liked the mention of his criminal father.

While nothing major happened with Alex, she still got to kick butt in her fight against Corben and she's the one who pushed J'onn into talking to Superman.

The new DEO set is nice. I'll miss the desert base but this new one in National City will probably work better for all involved.

It makes sense that Superman would be angry at J'onn for hoarding kryptonite. It also gives a good reason for why he hasn't had much to do with the DEO, even after Kara joined up.

Lena Luthor looks like she's on the up and up but that could change. Even if she is trying to be better than her brother it doesn't mean she won't have a dark side. It will be interesting to see how she fits in on the show. I wonder if this means no more Maxwell Lord?

Not much is done with the man in the pod. I know who he is from spoilers so I'm not dying to uncover the mystery but I figured more would have been done with him. Then again, the episode already brought in Superman as well as introduced Lena and made several changes. The pod man can wait for an episode or two.

I guess we're seeing the beginning of the reason for why Cat won't be around very much. She seems to have become complacent with her job. She's done everything she set out to do and now she has no more mountains to climb. My guess is she decides to tackle some other business venture or career and that's why she won't be running CatCo. on a daily basis anymore. It's going to be sad not to have Cat in every episode. For me, she's one of the reasons this show works so well. She's extremely funny but also has some great insights for both Kara and Supergirl. I loved that she has a crush on Clark. It explains her animosity towards Lois.

All in all, this was a great premiere for the new season. The move to the CW doesn't seem to have hurt the show, and you can tell that the writers are making changes that will positively affect the show going forward. I'm so happy to have Supergirl back on my TV.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:36 PM

I was actually worried about Tyler being cast as Superman. I thought that perhaps I would only see Derek from Teen Wolf in a Superman costume, but he did pull it off perfectly. The Superman costume, OTOH...Not so much. Wasn't wild about the red leather shoulder things, next to the cape. And can somebody explain why Superman would need Shin guards in his boots?

The interaction between him and Supergirl was spot on. Although, I do have to say...Regarding his secret identity. Glasses aren't the best, and with Clark Kent being in National City, and now all of a sudden Superman is also, and not in Metropolis....It really wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Clark is Superman.

Corbin was interesting. Although how he was piloting all those drones from one controller...I have no idea.

Cat Grant screaming Miss Tessmacher made me choke on my coffee...

The tension between J'onn and Superman was totally understandable. Look forward to seeing how it gets resolved. Superman was spot on...What happens if the President gives J'onn the order to use the kryptonite as a weapon against Superman or Supergirl?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:24 AM

Just rewatched the episode...Can someone please explain how the glass window Superman was pushing against, when the building was coming down, supported that kind of force being applied to it without breaking?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Or, for that matter, how a building can be in danger of falling over sideways rather than imploding. Special effects failure combined with comic book logic.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Agreed that this was an awesome episode!  :cool:

One nitpick though: they identified Corben because they found a partial fingerprint on the smashed drone.  But I don't see why he needed to touch the drone at all, he was just touching the controls for it.  It would seem far more likely to find a fingerprint from the guy who built it, that Corben got it from.  

Oh well.  :shrug:  :hehe:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 11 October 2016 - 12:25 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

What Virgil Vox said!  

I also loved the call-outs to the Superman movies, specifically the Christopher Reeve movies.  Miss Tessmacher!!!

Great start.
Cats will never be extinct!

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

I was actually worried about Tyler being cast as Superman. I thought that perhaps I would only see Derek from Teen Wolf in a Superman costume, but he did pull it off perfectly.

I had the same worry but not once did I think of Derek Hale while watching the episode. He was that good.

Corbin was interesting. Although how he was piloting all those drones from one controller...I have no idea.

I was wondering the same thing, unless he was able to set some on auto-pilot or something.

Or, for that matter, how a building can be in danger of falling over sideways rather than imploding. Special effects failure combined with comic book logic.

Agreed. It's the kind of stuff I try to overlook because it's just awesome seeing Supergirl and Superman saving a collapsing building together.

One nitpick though: they identified Corben because they found a partial fingerprint on the smashed drone.  But I don't see why he needed to touch the drone at all, he was just touching the controls for it.  It would seem far more likely to find a fingerprint from the guy who built it, that Corben got it from.

Nice catch. I didn't think about that. I don't know. Maybe he just wanted to feel one before he sent it off to kill a ton of people?

I also loved the call-outs to the Superman movies, specifically the Christopher Reeve movies.  Miss Tessmacher!!!

I know. Cat's Miss Tessmacher!!!! yell was perfect.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users