Arrow: The Recruits

Arrow CW DC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Oliver's (Stephen Amell) new recruits for Team Arrow are Curtis (Echo Kellum), Wild Dog (guest star Rick Gonzalez) and Evelyn Sharp (guest star Madison McLaughlin). Unfortunately, the Green Arrow's training methods prove to be too much for some of them to handle. Meanwhile, in the flashbacks, Oliver's initiation into the Bratva continues.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

Alright, exactly how did Oliver change into the Green Arrow at the hospital event, when he was surrounded by mayoral bodyguards? Let alone change his clothes THAT quickly?

They really really really need to do something about either Prometheus's costume, or ragman's costume...because the two look almost identical, it's hard to tell them apart at times.

I really enjoyed that Bratva training scene...although why Oliver would use that as a model...not exactly sure. Especially given that the original lesson was to trust nobody but yourself.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:18 AM

^^^ Perhaps the Bratva model was the only one he knew?

I'd think that when people devise training regimens they will call upon what is familiar, as opposed to either shopping around to find the best program, or developing something out of whole cloth.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

That was a really strong episode. I love that Ragman was added to the cast. He's an oddball choice to be sure but I've been a fan of him since the Day of Vengeance and Shadowpact series. They did a good job with him here, and his suit gives him a distinctive visual and fighting style.

He has a strong origin here that connects him with the Havenbrook nuclear disaster from last season. His story about how his dad wrapped him in the rags and saved his life was touching. It does obviously have echoes of Mr. Queen's sacrifice to save Oliver. I'm interested to see if he ever learns that it was Felicity that re-directed the bomb to his town.

I really enjoyed that Bratva training scene...although why Oliver would use that as a model...not exactly sure. Especially given that the original lesson was to trust nobody but yourself.

I'm guessing G-Man is right here that Oliver probably only knows the Bratva method. I get what he was trying to do, but in the end the ring the bell test wasn't really about teamwork, at least not the way the Russians did it. It was more about identifying the leader in the group who could get the others to do what he said. It worked for Oliver, who intended to be a lone wolf, but it doesn't work as actual team building.

Oliver was right not to want to give up his secret identity to the newbies. Now that he's the mayor he has more to lose if he's exposed as Green Arrow. Wild Dog didn't give off the most stable vibe to begin wit.

Diggle's plot just bored me. I guess because it's just so disconnected from everything else right now. Sure it will probably end up tying into Oliver's story but I just don't care about the evil soldiers stealing the whatever it was they stole. I already forgot.

The same about the flashbacks. I stopped caring about the flashbacks after season 2. They just don't have the same tension or weight anymore.

Quentin being deputy mayor is a good idea, if he stops drinking. He has respectability and he can help Thea run things while Oliver is off being Green Arrow. If they had brought in someone from the outside that didn't know Oliver's secret that could have complicated things way more.

It's nice to see Oliver using his mayoral powers to try and help the city. The free clinic idea was nice. It sucks that he chose a crappy partner in AmerTek but he's trying.

Alright, exactly how did Oliver change into the Green Arrow at the hospital event, when he was surrounded by mayoral bodyguards? Let alone change his clothes THAT quickly?

I know, right? It defied belief, and that's saying a lot considering all we've seen on not just this but all the CW shows.

They really really really need to do something about either Prometheus's costume, or ragman's costume...because the two look almost identical, it's hard to tell them apart at times.

They are pretty similar. The only difference being that Ragman's suit is a little looser and has strips of cloth dangling down while Prometheus's is much more skin tight.

Hmm, Prometheus doesn't want anyone to kill Green Arrow other than him. Interesting. I wonder if Prometheus is a new character or someone we've seen before. I also want to know what his agenda is. Why kill the officer last episode? What does that accomplish?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that the costume change has been an ongoing problem with all costumed crime fighters.

Very few of them actually have the "instant change" advantage (a la Captain Marvel/SHAZAM, the Hulk), and therefore either they are wearing the core of their outfits underneath their normal clothes, thus only need to don the accoutrements and find someplace to stash their regular clothing(a la Superman, Spider-Man; or else they don their clothes before they sortie out (e.g. Batman, Iron Man).  The last of which doesn't really work when the writers choose to have the alter ego already on the scene needing to change into costume in order to confront the villain.  Either they take the effort to explain how he can do that (e.g. an accomplice + spare suit; or else he strategically stowed his costume on site in anticipation of the villain striking at that event), or they simply wish the audience to "roll with it" and not explain, as that makes one less complication for them to worry about when they're trying to turn in a story by deadline.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users