Supergirl CW DC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

CADMUS attacks National City with a kryptonite powered villain who ends up seriously hurting Supergirl (Melissa Benoist). Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin) blames Hank (David Harewood) because the kryptonite was stolen from the DEO. Meanwhile, Kara's first day at her new job doesn't go as planned after she meets her new boss, Snapper Carr (guest star Ian Gomez).

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

Superman's line of: "See, now if the bullets didn't work, then why the punching?" LOL. Absolutely priceless.

Going to miss Cat Grant's character.

While I didn't like Kara's new boss, Snapper....He did have a valid point. You don't just get appointed a reporter. Perhaps that's what's wrong with the media in the country today?

Loved the image of Superman holding Supergirl's body, right from the comics. Although, IIRC, Supergirl was dead in that picture and comic.

I get why Superman is pissed about J'onn keeping the Kryptonite...But J'onn does have a valid point. And at the end, when he said it was all the kryptonite on the planet...Pretty sure that doesn't include whatever Cadmus has. I do wonder if that includes the Kryptonite that was powering Alex's suit?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:30 PM

Just wanted to add...Not sure how I feel about them mass producing Metallos. It did make sense, sort of, since there were two Kryptonians he was facing, but it still felt wrong.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,627 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Well, J'onn has A point, but Superman does too.  Given that DEO has just demonstrated its inability to keep the Kryptonite secure, it's become the go to place for anyone with the influence, or the ability, to acquire the means to destroy Superman and Supergirl.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 18 October 2016 - 02:57 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

Interestingly, the comics eventually teamed up Metallo and Reactron (even giving them matching costumes). Maybe they just couldn't get the Reactron actor back after his last appearance (or thought it would take too much explanation to reintroduce him).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

This was another great episode. The only thing I had a problem with was Kara acting like she would never see Clark again or team up with him. Yes, they may live in different cities but it's not as if they can't just quickly fly to each other when they want. They can probably see each other more than regular people who live in different cities.

There were some good fight scenes here. I loved the last one with Superman and J'onn taking on one Metallo and Supergirl and Alex the other. I was surprised (in a good way) to see Alex using her armor from last season. The fights were really good and on par with what we saw last season.

Alex had more to do this episode thankfully. We see that she has some resentment issues regarding Superman just dropping Kara off at her doorstep and having to spend a good chunk of her life protecting Kara. We saw some of this last season and having Kara talk about going to live in Metropolis with Clark just brought it all back up again.

Winn had the funniest moments this episode. I loved how he geeked out that he got to design a suit for Superman. He was proud that he made Supergirl's costume. His reaction to Superman loving it was great. I also liked him mentioning living in a home and being told to be thankful that someone was taking care of him. It adds a few extra layers to his character. Also nice call back to Astra's kryptonian blocking technology.

I'm liking Cadmus so far. It's hard to go wrong with evil scientists. The doctor is certainly crazy but she's committed to her cause. She wants to rid the world of alien scum. What I like is that, thanks to Astra and Non, they have a right to be afraid of aliens. Those two and their cohorts did try to enslave the entire population. Though I'm sure Cadmus's war against aliens far predates Astra and Non. It just gives them a good excuse.

Nice to see the Fortress again.

The pod guy wakes up at the very end and attacks Kara. That's not the greatest way to start a relationship.

Very little Jimmy this episode. He is taking over the running of CatCo. That seems like an odd choice since he just barely started running his own department.

It's sad to see Cat leave. I know she will make the occasional appearance but she was such a pivotal part of the show. Losing her is going to suck. Still, they gave her two nice farewell scenes, one as she gives Kara advice and one as she gives Supergirl advice.

While this Snapper is a far cry from his comic book counter-part I like the new dynamic he brings to the show. His dynamic with Kara is going to be very different than the one she had with Cat. He doesn't respect Kara and is unlikely to give her any pep talks. He had a good point about how she has no experience being a reporter at all and didn't go to college for a journalism degree. She just decided to be a reporter and her connection with Cat got her the gig. Now she has to actually earn it.

I said it last episode but it bears repeating: Tyler Hoechlin is great as Superman. These two episodes showed that you don't have to go dark and gritty to make Superman work. This Superman was a nerd (he doesn't drink and drive) and loves saving people and stopping crime. Yet the show also gave him an edge and made sure he had sex appeal. I really hope they bring him back.

Superman's line of: "See, now if the bullets didn't work, then why the punching?" LOL. Absolutely priceless.

That was such a good line.

Loved the image of Superman holding Supergirl's body, right from the comics. Although, IIRC, Supergirl was dead in that picture and comic.

Same here. It was a nice callback to an iconic image.

Well, J'onn has A point, but Superman does too.  Given that DEO has just demonstrated its inability to keep the Kryptonite secure, it's become the go to place for anyone with the influence, or the ability, to acquire the means to destroy Superman and Supergirl.

It does make sense for the government to have kryptonite just in case, and as we saw with Astra and Non there are other Kryptonians out there who aren't nice people like Clark and Kara. Still, they proved that they couldn't keep hold of it and now Cadmus has used it against our heroes.

Just wanted to add...Not sure how I feel about them mass producing Metallos. It did make sense, sort of, since there were two Kryptonians he was facing, but it still felt wrong.

It's not what I was expecting when they took the one scientist away but it didn't bother me too much. Corben was still the main Metallo and I'm sure they will bring him back whereas the other guy will probably never be seen again.

Interestingly, the comics eventually teamed up Metallo and Reactron (even giving them matching costumes). Maybe they just couldn't get the Reactron actor back after his last appearance (or thought it would take too much explanation to reintroduce him).

Probably. I did like seeing those two teamed up but it probably wouldn't have been worth it here. This way the threat remained purely Cadmus made and they could make Corben the main threat.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:37 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 18 October 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

I'm liking Cadmus so far. It's hard to go wrong with evil scientists. The doctor is certainly crazy but she's committed to her cause. She wants to rid the world of alien scum. What I like is that, thanks to Astra and Non, they have a right to be afraid of aliens. Those two and their cohorts did try to enslave the entire population. Though I'm sure Cadmus's war against aliens far predates Astra and Non. It just gives them a good excuse.

I like Cadmus also. I do wish we had Amanda Waller running it though, and not the Amanda Waller that was on Arrow. Two little nitpicks I have, regarding Cadmus....Cadmus announcing itself to the world like that....Cadmus always operated in the shadows, they would never have revealed themselves to the world like that. Also, I'm not sure how long the "surgery" to make a Metallo is, but since it requires essentially transferring the human Brain to a metallic body. Or as it appears in the show...Metallic/Organic...I'm guessing only a few hours isn't going to cut it. But, that's just a minor nitpick.

I said it last episode but it bears repeating: Tyler Hoechlin is great as Superman. These two episodes showed that you don't have to go dark and gritty to make Superman work. This Superman was a nerd (he doesn't drink and drive) and loves saving people and stopping crime. Yet the show also gave him an edge and made sure he had sex appeal. I really hope they bring him back.

I'm liking his portrayal of Superman more then I do Cavill's doom and gloom version.

Just rewatched the episode and I can't believe I forgot Wyn's line of "OMG! Superman is going to fight Martain Manhunter, this is not good. This is going to be awesome." Love that line.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users