• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:25 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

An attack is made on the President (guest star Lynda Carter) as hot-button, alien vs. human rights issues heat up in National City. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and the DEO are assigned to protect the President and bring in the responsible party. Alex (Chyler Leigh) teams up with Detective Maggie Sawyer (Floriana Lima) to investigate the case while Kara searches for a recently escaped Mon-El (Chris Wood), who she fears may be the alien behind the assault.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:25 PM

This was a solid episode. I liked how the new status-quo is still being set up and the characters are trying to adjust to everything.

I'm liking Mon-El, and it's not just because he's easy on the eyes. The show has set him up with a good story. He left his world with the intention of just waiting out the debris storm from Krypton hitting Daxam and then wakes up on Earth with no idea where he is, what's going on, or even that Daxam is a wasteland. The added twist that Krypton and Daxam were feuding planets adds a nice wrinkle to his interactions with Kara. I do wish they hadn't named him Mon-El, at least not yet, because that's clearly a Kryptonian name and clearly the last name of Kara and Clark. In the comics Clark gave it to him and used the last name El to signify that Mon-El was like family. The show should have used his other name, Lar Gand.

Mon-El's appearance let us see a side of Kara that we don't really get to see too often. Here she was more than willing to believe that a Daxamite would try to kill the President even with no proof and no real reason for it. She let out her ugly, prejudiced side and it even affected her stance on Lena Luthor's alien detecting device.

It's nice to see that Kara still has a lot to learn about being a reporter. Her first article was heavily biased and didn't really report the news, just her opinion of it. Sure, that seems to be what a lot of news is nowadays but it's not what it's supposed to be. I liked Snapper calling her out on it and making her re-do the article.

I didn't like Snapper just undermining Jimmy's authority like that. Even if Jimmy wasn't running that meeting great, (which he wasn't) it's not Snapper's job to do it for him. Jimmy's way of showing Snapper who was the boss is was genius, though.

The show is really doubling down on the aliens this year. It makes sense. Aliens are what set this show apart from the other DC shows. It is nice that we're being shown a larger community of aliens living in National City. Last season all the aliens were escapees from Fort Rozz and were working for Astra.

Loved seeing Lynda Carter playing the president. Her line about her other plane was genius. I did not see her being an alien at all. That should make for a nice twist down the road. If it's exposed her Alien Amnesty bill would probably be negated.

As excited as I am to see Miss Martian on the show (especially if they keep her personality from the comics and Young Justice cartoon more or less intact) it does feel like they're adding too many super-powered alien heroes to the show. There's Supergirl, of course, Martian Manhunter, Mon-El, and now Miss Martian.

Maggie made a great debut here. She was competent, kicked ass, and didn't take any crap from anyone.

Okay, the DEO just needs to go public. First, they have what has to be a not so secret base in a building in the middle of National City. Second, they invite a lot of people there. Maggie was brought there this episode. Last season Jimmy and Winn both learned about it. Siobahn was brought there. It just doesn't feel like  much of a secret organization.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,571 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:17 AM

Hmmm ... I have to think they opted for Mon-El instead of Lar Gand for recognition factor.  Now, if this is to establish that not only were the Daxamites and Kryptonians not only feuding, but were also related, thus engaged in a fratricidal conflict, I'd think that would open up some story possibilities, as well as further explain Kara's attitude far better than if they had opted for Lar Gand.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

Didn't Mon-El originally show up in Superboy, then the Legion?  (And have an allergy to lead?)  I feel like the generation of comics I read now qualify as antiques.  

There's a Miss Martian in the comics?

I agree about too many super-powered aliens.   Maybe too many aliens.  If they're all disguising themselves as human, how did they find each other to hang out in that bar?  

I also loved the line about the other plane!  Not sure I like her being another alien.  

Quibbles.  Still loving the show.
Cats will never be extinct!

#5 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

Mon-El's origin is wibbly-wobbly.

By the end of Post-Crisis (shortly before the New52 reboot), his story was that he crashed in Kansas (with amnesia) and met young Clark (at the time Clark was learning about his Kryptonian heritage), who gave him the name Mon-El ("Mon" because he landed on a Monday). He quickly got lead poisoning and Clark put him in the Phantom Zone to save him (because time doesn't exist there, the poisoning won't kill him).

Shortly before this, young Clark had been taken to the future and met the Legion of Superheroes, who made him Superboy --but who then erased his memory to avoid altering history. This was DC's awkward attempt to allow "Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes" to exist in a continuity that no longer included Superboy.

As an adult, Clark encountered the now-adult Legion, but did not see Mon-El.

Shortly before Flashpoint/New52, DC did an arc called New Krypton, in which Zod & his followers escape and are able to recreate Krypton. They destroy the Phantom Zone, and Clark is forced to extract Mon-El. A vial of medicine with the Legion symbol on it mysteriously appears in the Fortress, and Superman (having no time to waste) assumes that it comes from Brainiac-5 via time-travel and gives it to Mon-El, which cures him (sort of). Clark doesn't know why Brainy would care, but just goes with it. Superman briefly leaves Earth to live on New Krypton (to keep an eye on Zod), appointing Mon-El as Metropolis' new protector.

(He was also described as having an accent that sounded vaguely British, and an unusually precise way of talking, which reminded some people of Data --or Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.)

During this arc, Mon-El pieces together (via Daxamite Green Lantern Sodom Yat) his (newly retconned) Daxamite origin; he used to be called Lar Gand, and was an astronaut in a society (Kryptonian colony) that had turned violently anti-science. He escaped aboard an ancient Kryptonian ship that had belonged to an ancestor, but was automatically put into stasis (differences between Kryptonian and Daxamite physiology caused his amnesia) and carried to the pod's last-known destination.

At the end of the arc (which features heavy involvement from the time-traveling Legion), the Phantom Zone is recreated and Mon-El ends up trapped there again (along with Zod's surviving army) and eventually ends up rescued --by Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

I didn't really think this threw in the last two episodes, but as much as they spent a year building up to it, I am really glad that they cut-short the Kara/James romance. It seems like maybe they changed directions after they let go of the actress that plays Cat Grant.... Once you get rid of Cat and make James the boss, that can change Kara and James relationship. Sure, there is a bit of space between their professional relationship, with Snapper in-between, but that doesn't make it better, in fact if Snapper ever got to find out I think it would be worse.... I am so glad we didn't have to explore a romantic relationship between those two while they explored their new office politics, and how their professional and personal relationships affected the other, at the same time.... They have enough story lines to explore without muddying the waters with that story-line. I have probably wrote too much about this, but for some reason, a couple of their office scenes, just imaging them romantically pursuing each other at the same time just make me feel all sorts of icky.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

Not sure how I feel about the President being an Alien. When it gets out, and you just know it will, it most definitely will undermine the Aliens Amnesty bill. But the assassin alien was also right, while the President might have personal motives for the bill...it most definitely will be used as a registration device to keep track of aliens.

Loved the nods to the Wonder Woman...the line about her other jet, and then with Supergirl doing the Wonder Woman spin, to smother the flames on her.

Snapper was dead on with Kara's article. Granted, media today is mostly what Kara originally wrote, but it isn't suppose to be.

Kara was not only ugly this episode, she was bordering on being a outright bigoted b**ch. She didn't like Lena's alien detection device, so she rips it in her article, AFTER heat visioning it and damaging the prototype. Basically imposing her will on a private company. If Superman, in this TV universe, treated Lex like this, it's no wonder Lex went full on villain. And then Kara's outright prejudice against Mon El.

J'onn was So dead on with: "I picked a bad time to get rid of all my Kryptonite." after Mon El escaped. I'll even go so far as to say that any death a rogue Kryptonian causes, that the DEO could've stopped with Kryptonite, will be squarely on Superman's head. That blood will be on his hands alone.

I liked how Jimmy dealth with Snapper trying to take over, but in reality...Olsen is a photographer. He really knows next to nothing about running a media company. So Cat putting him in charge really makes no sense.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,571 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Well, no one "made" J'onn get rid of the Kryptonite, all the martian manhunter would have to accept is that he'd have to do without Superman's friendship and collaboration.  But instead, he chose friendship ... that's solely J'onn's call.  As far as I know, Superman uttered no threat against DEO, other than he wouldn't work with them, or the nation, or even Humanity in general, so J'onn J'onnz was not coerced into his decision, therefore any responsibility would rest on him.

Then also, would Kryptonite work on a Daxamite?  I thought they were only vulnerable to lead, so standard bullets would be effective, should they hit.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 October 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

She didn't like Lena's alien detection device, so she rips it in her article, AFTER heat visioning it and damaging the prototype.

I actually think it is a human detection device. I assume that Lena Luther knows little about alien biology markers, but even if she did, and even if she knew the markers for more than one species... she can't know that many markers, from aliens with evolutionary paths from different planets, not to mention aliens that haven't arrived at earth yet.

It would be much simpler to make it a human detection device. Whether she used other bio-markers of earth life so it could be used more broadly for other earth flora and fauna (to catch shape-shifters), I don't know. Though making that kind of detection device should still be easier to make than one that detects aliens. But to suggest she could go through the rigamarole of collecting diverse alien species samples, seems like a lot of work for a device that would likely fail in its mission - without any user/product failure occurring.

Thinking about it, I am not sure I agree with the premise that people have a right to know what their neighbours are. Some things are often readily apparently, but a lot of things aren't. Religion, for example. Of course, some aren't testable with bio-markers. Imagine this though, say 20% of the population decided to hide their birth sex (about equally divided among those born male/female), whether thru androgynous (per our culture) clothing and hair styles, or further means. If we had, says a simple quick device that detected Y chromosomes in skin cells, would that be an invasion of privacy?

Edited by sierraleone, 26 October 2016 - 06:52 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

How long do we think the President has been on Earth? Because to get into that position without a provable history on Earth would be seemingly next to impossible. Even if she had mind control/influencing ability she couldn't affect every journalist in the country, or every other person who might dig into her past. Do we think she came here as a young adult, or even as a child/baby like Kara and Clark? Kara is what, mid 20s? And presumably Clark is mid 30s? The actress playing the president is about 30 years older than Clark, but even if the different was only 10 years, he was likely too young to come across the President when she arrived on the planet (or soon after) if it was as a young adult.

Of course, that is assuming s/he isn't a shape-shifter and isn't impersonating the President, another possibility.

- Masha Gessen

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:10 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 October 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Of course, that is assuming s/he isn't a shape-shifter and isn't impersonating the President, another possibility.

I was wondering about the President's age and all of that also, and as I thought about it...the only real possibility is that it's a shape shifter that has replaced the real President. Nothing else really makes sense.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 October 2016 - 11:10 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 26 October 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

I was wondering about the President's age and all of that also, and as I thought about it...the only real possibility is that it's a shape shifter that has replaced the real President. Nothing else really makes sense.

Are you assuming that no other alien's arrival could predate Clark's arrival? Do you know something from the comics I don't, like some alien organization had put up some protective barrier around Earth that fell when Krypton or their organization fell?

Heck, I wonder last night if the President could actually be an american citizen by birth. Maybe her father was alien, her mother human, and the President was born on American soil. :D So, yeah, other options could make sense. Maybe not scientifically, but this is a comic universe we are playing with.

- Masha Gessen

#13 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the Mon-El history, Cybersnark!
Cats will never be extinct!

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 27 October 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

Are you assuming that no other alien's arrival could predate Clark's arrival? Do you know something from the comics I don't, like some alien organization had put up some protective barrier around Earth that fell when Krypton or their organization fell?

No I wasn't assuming there weren't Aliens before Clark. The Alien bar scenes made it obvious, unless all were shapeshifters, that some Aliens appear older then Clark. Although, that alone doesn't mean they arrived before Clark. What I was basing my thoughts regarding the President on is the simple fact that it would be next to impossible for a Alien to remain undiscovered going through the vetting process of being President; where every aspect of a candidate's life is examined in exquisite detail.

But, then again, we're also dealing with a universe where a simple pair of glasses is apparently enough for nobody to recognize that Clark is Superman and Kara is Supergirl. So I guess it could be possible in that universe for a Alien to remain undiscovered during a Presidential campaign.

Heck, I wonder last night if the President could actually be an american citizen by birth. Maybe her father was alien, her mother human, and the President was born on American soil. :D So, yeah, other options could make sense. Maybe not scientifically, but this is a comic universe we are playing with.

That was one possibility I hadn't considered.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users