• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

I thought we'd just begin a Post election thread.  It's all new and shiny.  LOL

I had a thought last night, or maybe it's better called a nightmare.  We're looking at Obama and his peaceful turnover of power.  That's what that phrase really means.  It means the most powerful man in the world, gives up that power and turns it over to someone else.  Maybe someone he hates [Yes, I'm noticing how I'm back to just using male pronouns.].

How many people here think CheetoPres45 [no I cannot say his name anymore] would be able to give up that power?  I fear he would not.  I fear he would incite [or create himself] a terrorist act that makes it possible for Martial Rule.  I fear what a man can do in that office that has no morality and is an egomaniac.

People are so complacent because they believe in checks and balances.  Those same people believe Obama ruined the country, but think CheetoPrez won't because he can be stopped.  Stopped by who?

CheetoPrez can do anything he likes when it comes to the security of the nation.  Anything! All it takes is someone crazy enough to plan or allow a terrorist act, the nation lives in fear, and we have martial law.  It could change that quick with someone like this in the WH.  And, he'll be taught how to do it by his Russian friends, and Bannon.

This is not just another election and we can vote him out next election.  Our Republic could fall long before we ever see elections again.

I have never had a reaction to any election like I have to this one.  I've backed a lot of losers, but never cried about it.  This man will change all of our lives, if we have lives to change once he gets started.  

I do not think once he is in power, he will ever give it up.  I do not believe anyone can check him, look at his campaign.  I believe he ran a campaign of fear and hate, and he will run the country the same way using fear and hate.  His brand of the Ministry of Truth will use fear to quiet us, and hate so we have someone to blame for what he does to us.  

It's a nightmare and anyone who thinks I'm being dramatic hasn't been paying attention.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:27 PM

OK, first things first....

Regarding President Obama. I remember a long time ago, not even sure in what thread it was in, but I posted on the board my thoughts about Obama refusing to give up power. Of trying to circumvent the constitution and make himself America's first dictator. Today I am eating crow for those comments. I couldn't have been more wrong about him, regarding this issue. I do have to respect him for that.

Regarding Hillary. Her concession speech was awesome. She was graceful, dignified, and dare I say it: Almost Presidential. And she has remained out of the media, well unless you run into a supporter in the woods while hiking that is. And I don't even want to do the math on what the odds of THAT was. But she has remained quiet, out of the media, and is respecting the election results. My hat is off to her for that.

And before anyone else here asks: No, I don't think if the roles were reverse that Trump would've just faded away. I actually cringed during the final debate when Trump said he would keep everyone in suspense.

Last, but certainly not least....

The phrase "CheetoPrez". I really, really, really want to go off about the disrespect that is to the office of the President. I mean, can you just imagine the outcry if I used "MudFacePrez" to describe Obama, when he was first elected??? Like I said, I really want to go off about that cheetoPrez, but even I have to admit...The boy does have one helluva a orange face. LOL.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Wait, wait. NOW you're concerned about disrespecting the office of the President?  I think you must be joking, and if so, hysterical!

On the bright side, Trump is very old, and probably riddled with STDs, so it's very possible he'll die.

Also, Pence has a bullet-proof argument that Trump is brain-damaged and can't do the job, so he could invoke the 25th Amendment, if he could get half the cabinet to go along with it.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostCait, on 11 November 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

How many people here think CheetoPres45 [no I cannot say his name anymore] would be able to give up that power?  I fear he would not.  I fear he would incite [or create himself] a terrorist act that makes it possible for Martial Rule.  I fear what a man can do in that office that has no morality and is an egomaniac.

I have been trying to figure out how to refer to him while remaining respectful of the office. I've thought of dropping him name, and just used the President, but while it is sort of distancing, it also sort of puts it on a verbal pedestal and doesn't actually express anything different from normalcy. I thought of putting his name first, "Trump President", to illustrate that I think the whole flavour of the Presidency is changed by this man, and I suspect that he puts himself first, and not his office or the country. I didn't get any further with that thought, but I just thought now perhaps people can co-opt his "drain the swamp" statements he has been using the last couple weeks and call it "Swamp President" "President Swamp". I hold very little faith that his appointees to various posts will actually "drain the swamp". Maybe "President TruSwamp"?

CheetoPrez can do anything he likes when it comes to the security of the nation.  Anything! All it takes is someone crazy enough to plan or allow a terrorist act, the nation lives in fear, and we have martial law.  It could change that quick with someone like this in the WH.  And, he'll be taught how to do it by his Russian friends, and Bannon.

It DAPL doesn't get finished/resolved soon it could start there, and I am wondering who will care, or see it as the practice grounds for similar actions in the future. Heck, President Obama could have the Army Corps of Engineer permanently withdraw the permit DAPL needs to go under the Missouri River and the Trump could overturn that as soon as he is sworn in.

I do not think once he is in power, he will ever give it up.  I do not believe anyone can check him, look at his campaign.  I believe he ran a campaign of fear and hate, and he will run the country the same way using fear and hate.  His brand of the Ministry of Truth will use fear to quiet us, and hate so we have someone to blame for what he does to us.  

It's a nightmare and anyone who thinks I'm being dramatic hasn't been paying attention.

As much as I don't want a nightmare, I also am worried that if he was just "joking", and ends up not as bad as he told us he would be, that we will not recognize the next demagogue for the threat that they actual are, because regardless of his success or failure of the next 4(+?) years, and what that means for the country even if no constitution or other crisis…. Words have meaning, and this man has changed the tenor and dialogue and language of our public discourse.

As I said in the DAPL thread, this is the time for people to dig in, get involved on whichever level they can in the issues that are important to them. We are going to have some failures and we can't let that discourage us, because the connections and strength we build in our movements and organization will pay off in the long run, and we may be the only check on America's GOP congress/senate/President/state houses/governors, and possibly soon our USSC, running roughshod over the people.  We have to stand together in solidarity and support one another.

I hear people try to disparage and denigrate protestors/activists/demonstrators, because they are an inconvenience, because they must not have jobs. I don't get it. They are doing vital work in this world. It may be sometimes be unpaid work, but just like other vital work (unpaid labour in the home, care-taking labour, other volunteer work or positions), it is essential and important work that needs to be done.

I think some people come from the point of view that if the issue doesn't affect them so why should they care? If that is how you feel why even say anything?

Can on person individually fight every injustice? No. But the least we can do is not ignore people, or silence them by shouting them down and denigrating them, for simply sharing concerns and trying to improve matters on an issue that affects them. Collectively we can support other people by allowing room for their voices to be heard to raise awareness, and by not getting in their way in bringing positive change.

- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 11 November 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Regarding Hillary. Her concession speech was awesome. She was graceful, dignified, and dare I say it: Almost Presidential. And she has remained out of the media, well unless you run into a supporter in the woods while hiking that is. And I don't even want to do the math on what the odds of THAT was. But she has remained quiet, out of the media, and is respecting the election results. My hat is off to her for that.

I was watching the daily show this week and I was moved by the contributors segments on Wednesday.

In response to this part of Clinton's speech: "to all the little girls who are watching this never doubt that you are valuable, and powerful, and deserving, of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams".
Michelle Wolf said, visibly emotional: "the saddest thing I heard all day is that we have to be reminded of that".

It may be in part, but I don't think that part of the speech is largely in response to Clinton not breaking the last glass ceiling, but the tenor of this campaign and the stark difference between the two candidates when it comes to the sentiment Clinton shared in her speech. "It's just talk" is not an excuse. Words mean something. And that is especially the case when it comes to the out-sized effect of the speech of the powerful.

- Masha Gessen

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

This man can't even stay on message or coherent for 140 characters.

Posted Image
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Just had a very open and successful presidential election. Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!

6:19 PM - 10 Nov 2016

Professional meaning paid? But the protestors were incited, driven passionate and irrational by the media? Which is it? And with that, that leaves who or what is unfair party very unclear. The implied "job-makers", the "media" who just aired the provoking things the man running for highest office said, or the 1st Amendment?

And is this next tweet an attempted take-backies?

Posted Image
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Love the fact that the small groups of protesters last night have passion for our great country. We will all come together and be proud!

3:14 AM - 11 Nov 2016

So, now passion=good? Well thank you for your permission. /sarcasm.
And are you suggesting they weren't paid nor incited now? And how does the last sentence follow the context of the previous tweet?

Edited by sierraleone, 11 November 2016 - 02:15 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

I'm sticking with "that 'man'" or "Donald".  I'll start acknowledging him as "the President" the first time I see him say or do anything that is worthy of the position.

Like, oh, I dunno, not hiring people who don't believe in science for key science-related positions in his transition team?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#8 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

The President elect was just elected 3 days ago.  I'm still not recovered from that.  So for a few minutes, no, I'm not going to be respectful.  So, for at least a week, I'm venting and calling him CheetoPrez.  If I'm still doing it in four years, then you can jump on me for disrespecting the office.  It's all still pretty raw people, so don't expect me to let it all go overnight. If you do, I have some choice words for you too.

This is not business as usual my friends.  This can't be compared to anything else in our history.  If you've paid attention, you all know this.  So, forgive me if I'm not as respectful of the man that will be President.  It's taking me a few days to reconcile the fact that the worst candidate ever, will take over for one of the best.  

I need a moment, and when I say I need a moment, I mean, just let me vent.

Source:

#9 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

View PostNiko, on 11 November 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

I'm sticking with "that 'man'"  

Oh, that has possibilities.  ;)

Source:

#10 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

Everything Cait suggested about a possible authoritarian takeover has been in my mind and truly scares the hell out of me. One would like to hope the Republicans in charge of Congress would have a core of patriotism to stop it from happening, but they have shown throughout the campaign nothing but a desire to enable, stay silent, or endorse every vile utterance and unconstitutional policy he has championed.

I'm hoping such an event is a worst case scenario we will be fortunate enough to avoid and exercise democratic principles down the line to reverse the course and restore decency to the White House. But the biggest thing day-to-day for me is besides his narcissism, he's a pathological liar. How can we believe anything he says, whether we like it or don't like it? His bubble of unreality will now attempt to expand worldwide, and the gaggle of trolls he will surround himself with are just starving for power, can't wait till he's legally installed. If your leader is a pathological liar, where do you have to stand? What can you believe or hold onto? I'm feeling like it's time to curl up and hide under my desk like they taught us in grade school. Turn away from the windows and pray. But I can't do that. I'll cautiously try to tiptoe through this Alice in Blunderland political scape for the next four years and watch the Daily Show, Maher, and Colbert for strength and resolve unless The 1st Amendment is suspended by executive order for being overly critical or mocking of our thin-skinned Eminence. But if the worst case scenario comes to be then I'll fight it with everything I have. Because I am a patriot, and no sacrifice is too dear to keep this nation free. Don't tread on me.

Edited by yadda yadda, 11 November 2016 - 04:07 PM.

#11 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

I think I'll stick with Cinnamon Hitler, personally.

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:22 PM

You want disrespect?  I've seen "President Pussygrabber."  

I think I'll stick with Drumpf.  Although "El Presidente" might work at times.

From what the talking heads are saying today, reality might be starting to creep under the swath of cotton candy on the man's head.  One can only hope.

I spent the whole day avoiding my facebook feed and the news, catching up on taped tv (mostly drama) shows and trying to put the whole thing out of my mind for awhile.

Meanwhile, can't wait for Bill Maher tonight.

- - - - - - - - - -
Dang.  Shouldn't have read my FB feed.  Glad I wasn't out of vodka...

Edited by Themis, 11 November 2016 - 07:30 PM.

Cats will never be extinct!

#13 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:19 PM

Mark: I feel truly sorry for President-elect Trump. His only fault so far is being a dumb-butt who can't act, or deliver a speech that is truly believable to an intelligent person, and that's not even a crime. So many who oppose his presidency have already prejudged him as a man who will start WWIII, has his finger on the nuclear button, is ready to drive 13 million undocumented persons back to their countries and build a wall around America.
CALM DOWN, PEOPLE!  Before we all start protesting and rioting in the streets, lets give the man (and his staff) the benefit of a doubt. Firstly, starting a nuclear war wouldn't be good for ANYBODY'S business. Donald will not want that. As far as rounding up and driving the millions of illegal immigrants back to their homelands...we simply don't have the resources to do that, even if it were ordered by the President, and backed up by the rest of the U.S. Government.
Now the wall, or fence thing...that may be something a dumb-butt would try to do. However, after having lived in El Paso for 6 years, I can tell you for certain that wall only keeps out a very small percentage.

I think we can probably look forward to our new President rebuilding our military to be able to defend ourselves against the newest threats that have been building up over the last 8 years (China, Russia). If two countries of their power were to combine forces against us, they would be a new "Superpower". Russia's Putin has in the past praised our military techniques, and has stated that the U.S. is now the only superpower in the world. However, we can all see Vladimir Putin has his mind set on making his own country as great as it was in HIS eyes during the Soviet Union era.  
So, building up our military again is probably a very good idea, given the knowledge that so many countries hate the U.S. in the first place.

Secondly, I hope we can look forward to our new President attempting to rebuild America's infrastructure. Highways, dams, inner cities, and nearly every roadway in America need to be either worked on, or completely rebuilt. I would encourage our new leader to place more weight behind requiring companies to begin the changeover to renewable green energy resources. We went through an energy crisis back in the 70's and 80's, and lowered the speed limit to 55 mph on our highways, and we all began driving cars that were much more fuel efficient. Now, we've already raised the speed limit on many highways back to 70 mph. (a ridiculously high rate of speed for driving through Dallas, for instance). Many of the new trucks being made for an ordinary person to buy get 5-12 mpg. in the city, and maybe 15-18 mpg. on the highway!
We're again making super cars with monstrously strong 400-700 horsepower engines. WHY? How does this help any possible gas shortage, or decrease the burning of fossil fuels?

And for those who are still arguing for the Affordable Healthcare Act...  I would imagine it's days are numbered in it's current form. I'm all for everyone getting healthcare they can afford, but I've never been for notion that it should be illegal if we don't buy into it. That sounds like something President Obama actually did, but now you're blaming President-elect Trump for. No matter how much like Adolph Hitler Donald Trump appeared to be during his early campaign speeches, he's still just a man. WE are not 1930's Germans, and if someone decides to go all Dark Side on us, we the people of the United States will rise up and stop him...all while remaining legal, and calm.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#14 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

Well, Mark, be happy that the ACA will likely be repealed. Too bad that doesn't make everyone happy. There's a writer named Elizabeth Bear, a lot of whose books I've read, who announced that one of her friends, distraught over being in poor health and needing the insurance she had through the ACA, killed herself over the election results. Yes, yes, I know, dismiss that as lies. Unfortunately, a few people with trusty online reputations have confirmed the truth of it.

Bleah to all of this bull.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#15 KathyW2200

KathyW2200
  • Islander
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostMark, on 11 November 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Firstly, starting a nuclear war wouldn't be good for ANYBODY'S business. Donald will not want that.

Fat shaming beauty queens in the middle of the night isn't good for business either, but that didn't stop him.  Attacking Gold Star families isn't good for business, but that didn't stop him.  This guy has no self control.  It's unfortunately not so farfetched to imagine him dropping a bomb on someone who disses his hairdo.  

The hilarious part (or it would be under different circumstances) is that the man never wanted the job in the first place.  Trump just likes to win contests--they make him feel big and powerful and important.  Once the contest is won or lost (with the latter including cries of "rigged!" and "unfair!" and "I was robbed!", etc.), he moves along to the next contest.  But he can't do that this time because winning this contest comes with a job, a 4 year job which requires one to act like an actual adult, and observe protocol, and listen (always difficult for one with the attention span of a Tsetse fly), and think, and all that boring stuff he doesn't want to do because he's, you know, just bored bigly!  Times London called it--they said his expression upon winning was one of "a man whose bluff had been called".  Indeed.  Being president isn't the same as running for president.  Methinks he's about to get as rude of a shock as many of the rest of us have.

#16 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

Dumb Donald is like Daffy Gaddafi seated at the controls of a 747. His petulant arrogance is telling him he knows how to fly the plane. His idiot supporters and apologists are sitting in the 1st Class passenger compartment saying, "Give the man a chance to fly the plane." The protesters are all the people in the back who are saying, "Let me off this f---cking plane!" The government is saying to the people in the back of the plane, "Too late. He's the captain, and the plane is about to take off."

Now, a modern 747 can literally fly itself without a pilot. It can take off and land without a pilot. So the best everyone can hope for is that Daffy Donald doesn't actually try to fly the thing all on his own.

If the planet gets through the next four years, that is how it's going survive: if Dumb Donald somehow realises he hasn't the first clue what he's doing, and leaves it to all the built-in fail-safe's to bail him (and the rest of us) out.

My money is on Daffy McDonald to grab the controls and scare the sh!t out of everyone for the next four years, with Pence and the rest of his thugs screaming at him in the cock-pit.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#17 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:15 AM

View PostKathyW2200, on 11 November 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

View PostMark, on 11 November 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

Firstly, starting a nuclear war wouldn't be good for ANYBODY'S business. Donald will not want that.

Fat shaming beauty queens in the middle of the night isn't good for business either, but that didn't stop him.  Attacking Gold Star families isn't good for business, but that didn't stop him.  This guy has no self control.  It's unfortunately not so farfetched to imagine him dropping a bomb on someone who disses his hairdo.  

The hilarious part (or it would be under different circumstances) is that the man never wanted the job in the first place.  Trump just likes to win contests--they make him feel big and powerful and important.  Once the contest is won or lost (with the latter including cries of "rigged!" and "unfair!" and "I was robbed!", etc.), he moves along to the next contest.  But he can't do that this time because winning this contest comes with a job, a 4 year job which requires one to act like an actual adult, and observe protocol, and listen (always difficult for one with the attention span of a Tsetse fly), and think, and all that boring stuff he doesn't want to do because he's, you know, just bored bigly!  Times London called it--they said his expression upon winning was one of "a man whose bluff had been called".  Indeed.  Being president isn't the same as running for president.  Methinks he's about to get as rude of a shock as many of the rest of us have.

Mark: I wish many of the American people who voted for Hillary would act like adults as well and observe the protocol that is our current set of laws for elections and transfer of power. For goodness sake, stop feeling so outraged. If the democratic party had for even one instance listened to what the American people were trying to tell them about how we didn't want more of what Obama did (or rather didn't do), then perhaps Hillary would now be President. Perhaps if the shady way the investigation of Hillary's private email server leaks had been better, and she'd been more truthful about how many of those emails she deleted after they told her to hand over those servers...perhaps Hillary would now be President.  ...or perhaps she'd be in jail.   Why is it when a government official willingly does something so obviously illegal, they usually don't go to prison like any other U.S. citizen? Haven't we placed our government officials on a level once only shared by Pharaohs and kings?
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

My apologies...didn't realize this was the bash Trump thread, I thought it was a thread about post election...Anyway, I'll leave this thread with this:

It wasn't only white people voting for Trump.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#19 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:20 AM

Oh, and one last thing...This other video, which is extremely hard to watch, shows just what some Hillary supporters are like:

These kids should be removed by CPS immediately, and the mother charged with child abuse.

#20 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:24 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 12 November 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

My apologies...didn't realize this was the bash Trump thread, I thought it was a thread about post election...Anyway, I'll leave this thread with this:

It wasn't only white people voting for Trump.

Mark: The irony here being that everyone knows of Trump's arrogance, yet it was Hillary's arrogance that likely lost the election for her. CNN and MSNBC had already declared Hillary the "winner" two whole weeks before the actual election! So who is arrogant here? Don't get me wrong, I don't like Mr. Trump anymore than Hillary...they're both politicians of the most vicious kind.

Edited by Mark, 12 November 2016 - 12:26 AM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PresidentElect, Prez45

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users