• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#361 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 24 December 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I am just wondering under what circumstances that would change, and what that would look like and mean for you.

Honestly I don't know. It would take a lot before it became more then just posting on a message board, for me. Even if Hillary had won, I probably would've ranted and raved here, but I couldn't see myself walking the streets and protesting. First I KNOW there would be very little, almost none, change from said protest...so there really wouldn't be a point. Second, I learned a long time ago that there are no "Participation Trophies" in real life. In real life you have winners and losers, and when you loose you suck it up, figure out where you went wrong, and come back stronger...You don't whine and cry and blame everyone else but yourself (I'm looking at you, Democratic Party)
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#362 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 24 December 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

Thirdly, Trump is in the process of starting up a private White House police force. No one is saying much, if anything, on the subject, but it's a safe bet that this will not be a security force with a mandate to protect the White House's occupants, but rather to coerce them into falling in line- the first step towards open, full-blown, capital "F" Fascism.

This one does concern me a little, I'll admit. My knee jerk reaction is to say: "Secret Service should be responsible for WH Security." Then I remember Ivanka being harrassed on a jet blue flight, while apparently her Secret Service detail did absolutely NOTHING about it. So perhaps Trump is right in wanting an independent security force?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#363 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 24 December 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

I came across a pair of articles this last week (week and a half?) that made me reflect and think. Both were in the HuffingtonPost, make of that what you will ;)

You pretty much lost me once the source of the article was said.

#364 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

Back home after my holiday travels, hope everyone had some quality time. I played a new board game with the family yesterday.

View PostLord of the Sword, on 26 December 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 24 December 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I am just wondering under what circumstances that would change, and what that would look like and mean for you.

Honestly I don't know. It would take a lot before it became more then just posting on a message board, for me. Even if Hillary had won, I probably would've ranted and raved here, but I couldn't see myself walking the streets and protesting. First I KNOW there would be very little, almost none, change from said protest...so there really wouldn't be a point. Second, I learned a long time ago that there are no "Participation Trophies" in real life. In real life you have winners and losers, and when you loose you suck it up, figure out where you went wrong, and come back stronger...You don't whine and cry and blame everyone else but yourself (I'm looking at you, Democratic Party)

Thank you for answering. I respect your opinion, it is hard to imaging or believe that you yourself can effect change. Though I disagree with you that people taking to the street and protesting doesn't change anything. In fact, it is one of the few things that ever has, even if it is not 100% successful 100% of the time.

Every civil rights advancement in our society has taken place because people have gathered themselves and demanded their voices heard and demanded change. If you don't believe that I don't think you really know your history. And it has happened recently, this year, in Poland, in regards to women's reproductive rights. The new government was talking about restricting women's reproductive rights (which are already restrictive in Poland), and women and their supporters took on-masse to the streets, skipping work and school, and made the government pause.

This is why those in power (whether government, corporate, and sometimes even the media) all try to ignore and/or dismiss and/or belittle protestors, to discourage protesting, in various ways. They are afraid of people being united in common-cause against them and their policies. Sometimes though, it takes a lot of persistence and a lot of work, depending on the cause and the cause's numbers or wide-spreadedness of the issue. IIRC the bus boycotts took a year before they got wide-spread attention.

This often misattributed and tweaked quote comes to mind:

"First the ignore you,
Then they laugh at you,
Then they fight you,
And you win."

Unfortunately this doesn't only hold true for the good guys and good causes…. Also one doesn't alway win, as I said above. I see it more as steps on has to go through to be taken seriously and to get your cause aired as widely as possible.

First, there is injustice. And the people affect by the injustice, the victims, have to choose how to react. Some have prior experience telling them it is no use to object and they will remain silent, and the injustice will stand.

Some victims won't remain silent. They will try to bring the injustice to the attention of those in power in hopes of addressing the injustice. The people/institutions/system in power often doesn't care, and if they don't directly benefit from the injustice they benefit from the system from part of which the injustice springs. So the victims are ignored. And many victims will slink away, because many don't have the resources or power or strength to continue, and the injustice stands.

For the victims who won't slink silently away and lick their wounds, they try to get louder, go higher, get support, find similarly affected victims, etc. The people/institutions/system in power will find a thousand ways to dismiss or malign the victims to try to silence them. They won't take them seriously, and they will laugh at them (figuratively or literally), victim blaming in various ways, having various systemic barriers to remedying the injustice of effecting change. Again, many victims will slink away, because they don't have the resources or power or strength to continue, and the injustice stands.

For the victims still fighting the oppression and injustice they are dealing with, they again try to get louder, go higher, get support, find similarly situation victims. Now ignoring victims, and laughing at them and blaming them isn't working anymore. The people/institutions/system in power haven't and/or still don't want to help fix things (for various reasons) and right the injustice. The previous tools in their tool belt didn't work and don't work anymore. The people/institutions in powers move on to fighting back. This doesn't mean physically, though in extreme cases it will move to that. The people/institutions in power have many ways to fight back and make difficult for victims, while either following the rules, bending the rules, or even breaking the rules, to protect their power/position.

Who wins in this scenario? Usually those in power. The injustice usually still stands. The surviving victims (especially those who are in marginalized groups, whether due to prejudice and/or socio-economic-status) usually can't maintain such a fight. This doesn't make them wrong, just at a serious disadvantage. But this is also the path that many mass-movements form. If people can unite together they are much more likely to make those in power blink, because unless those in power are okay with using deadly force, people united can be a force of great enough power to worry those people/institutions in power. Which may make them decide change is better than a status-quo causing thousands or millions to take the the streets. (or write petitions, or whichever, hopefully peaceful, avenue those fighting injustice have chosen).

So when I see people in my communities trying to shared their knowledge, and raise a ruckus about an injustice they have experienced... If my first instinct to to ignore or belittle them, I try to take a step back and reflect to make sure preconceived notions and prejudice are not colouring my perception. Chances are, if someone is complaining about a problem and I am hearing about it for the first time, it is likely many people experienced the same thing, but didn't say anything, were ignored, were victim-blamed or laughed at, or were fought against by those with more power/resources until they didn't have any fight left anymore.

Edited by sierraleone, 26 December 2016 - 06:47 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#365 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

So, if I understand correctly, Trump has selection a number of Goldman Sach's employees to fill out his own employees. And he slammed his opponents over and over again about being owned by Goldman Sach's. And now his choice to head the SEC (Security and Exchange Commission) is a Goldman Sach's lawyer.

https://www.washingt...m=.8d0fe3425319

Edited by sierraleone, 05 January 2017 - 05:36 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#366 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 05 January 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

So, if I understand correctly, Trump has selection a number of Goldman Sach's employees to fill out his own employees. And he slammed his opponents over and over again about being owned by Goldman Sach's. And now his choice to head the SEC (Security and Exchange Commission) is a Goldman Sach's lawyer.

https://www.washingt...m=.8d0fe3425319

All a part of the big con. With those conned so invested in being right they refuse to acknowledge the con. PT Barnum had it right.

#367 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

This is old, but I spent most of December trying to enjoy my holiday and avoiding politics as much as possible, so I only just came across this Daily Show segment about "truth trump".

Are they twisting his words in this?  Did he HONESTLY stand in front of a crowd of his "lock her up!" yahoos and say "Yeah, that plays great before the election, but now we don't care, right?"   Did he seriously stand in front of his supporters and give a whole narrative about how "drain the swamp" was completely insincere and just something he said because it got cheers?!?  "Then I started saying it like I meant it, right?"

SERIOUSLY?!?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#368 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostNiko, on 05 January 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

This is old, but I spent most of December trying to enjoy my holiday and avoiding politics as much as possible, so I only just came across this Daily Show segment about "truth trump".

Are they twisting his words in this?  Did he HONESTLY stand in front of a crowd of his "lock her up!" yahoos and say "Yeah, that plays great before the election, but now we don't care, right?"   Did he seriously stand in front of his supporters and give a whole narrative about how "drain the swamp" was completely insincere and just something he said because it got cheers?!?  "Then I started saying it like I meant it, right?"

SERIOUSLY?!?

Welcome to 2017, The Year Of The Stoopid.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#369 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

Trump is holding his first press conference since July on Wednesday (I think it is about separating himself from his business and conflicts of interests). However, I believe part of the reason he is doing so is to suck the oxygen out of the news media (which will be obsessed with it) and distract from what else is gone on. Such as the confirmation hearings for six of his cabinet picks on the same day. And these people haven't had thorough vetting yet for conflict of interests and other issues by some ethics/vetting committee.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ation-hearings/

Tuesday, January 10
Jeff Sessions, attorney general -- hearings at 9:30 a.m.

Wednesday, January 11
Rex Tillerson, secretary of state -- hearings in the morning and afternoon
Elaine Chao, transportation secretary -- hearing at 10:15 a.m.
Mike Pompeo, director of the Central Intelligence Agency -- hearing at 10 am
Betsy DeVos, education secretary -- hearing at 10 a.m.
John Kelly, secretary of Homeland Security -- hearing at 2 p.m.

Thursday, January 12

James Mattis, defense secretary

How that Wednesday schedule (2 people at 10, one at 10:15) is even humanly possible, except as a rubber stamp, I think is the point….

Edited by sierraleone, 08 January 2017 - 11:10 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#370 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

For a laugh:

https://www.facebook...?type=3

I kind of prefer he continue so he continues to exposes himself as the moronic liar that he is, but still hilarious :)
Though I consider it a distraction from much more important news typically, so I don't follow it anymore and only hear about them if they come up in my news sources now. I assume they will let me know if he is literally threatening nuclear armageddon.

Edited by sierraleone, 08 January 2017 - 12:43 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#371 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

Just a thought, but since Trump has announced that his Inauguration will be a celebration, but he won't consider Day One of his Presidency till Monday since he'll be taking the weekend off...who's to stop the Russians from doing a Red a Dawn style takeover on Saturday or Sunday? Or maybe that's the plan? The Russian paratroopers landing outside your neighborhood high schools will be using gold colored chutes and the plan is called Trump/Putin's golden shower revenge?

#372 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

I saw a shockingly newsworthy piece of news on the news today- an interview with an honest guy who was speaking honestly about US and Canadian politics. Didn't catch his name, but I must find it! But what he had to say was scathing, and enlightening.

When I turned on the telly, he was saying that if it looks like the current slate of politicians are as dumb as a bag of hammers, it's because they are. He said that the best and the brightest aren't the least bit interested in politics. In fact, they find politics extremely off-putting and destructive, and have better sense than to get involved. The politicians themselves, he pointed out, with a bazillion examples, are completely distracted from doing their jobs because of all the non-productive infighting. He laid bare how politicians waste endless time serving their own selfish little agenda, or the mindless, destructive, counterproductive agendas of their respective parties.

I'm going to hunt down his name, now.

#373 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

^ and if those too smart to get involved in politics get rich enough they can work on buying influence or even politicians ;)

- Masha Gessen

#374 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 19 January 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

^ and if those too smart to get involved in politics get rich enough they can work on buying influence or even politicians ;)

The best and brightest are also the least influenced by monetary gain.

#375 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,027 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Okay, I'm more or less over these things. But Rick Perry, who said he wanted to eliminate the department of Energy, was then nominated to run it. And even then, after accepting the nomination, he DIDN'T KNOW THE DoE HANDLES OUR NUCLEAR ARSENAL. How does anyone, ANYONE, involved in government at ANY level, even LOOKING at running for President, not understand that?

Trump is genuinely not the only idiot out there, it looks like.

I very much hope that the Senate does it's damned job and refuses to confirm these losers. I would be a better secretary of energy than Perry! Heck, I'd be better than the nominee at almost every cabinet position Trump's nominated, if only because I live in reality and I understand the value of facts!

If the media does anything in the future, it should quiz candidates on basic knowledge... and for that matter, inform the public of the same. Reminds me of that Fox News poll they were making a big deal of. "58% of Americans say our military isn't the strongest in the world!" With absolutely no comment to the effect of, "Well, how did Americans get that poorly informed?"

Edited by Omega, 19 January 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#376 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Politics has become about servicing private agendas, and to hell with the electorate.

News is about ratings, and screw actual content.

It costs money to gather actual news. The networks cadge feed off AP Wirefoto and Reuters instead.

The underlying truth is that AP and Reuters are news networks. The rest are talk shows that reiterate what they saw and read on AP and Reuters. You can't call yourself a news network if you didn't gather the news yourself.

It's news by proxy, which makes it second-hand, and therefore little more legitimate than hearsay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PresidentElect, Prez45

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users