• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

What I mean is that despite having universities chock-full of intelligent, educated people, zero percent of their skull-sweat is actively being used to study politics impartially and replace it with something that's actually intelligent, that actually works.

First of all, if you think that your vote has meant much, if anything, if in the past fifty years, you've got your head up your arse. Has your vote ever got you something, anything, you wanted? Has it ever progressed technology? Has it ever improved things for the worker? Has it ever got anything meaningful done at all?

The answer is that it's pretty much all smoke and mirrors, and always has been, from the time Democracy was invented some 2400 years ago to the present.

If you want an actual, honest look at Democracy, you have to look at particular reforms that likewise have been talked about since the beginning, but never implemented. The closest they ever came was in Canada, during Stanfield's tenure, when such things were toyed with but never implemented.

At the top of the list is politicians having a legal obligation to tell the truth to the public and to serve the public, or else face jail time. The thing most needed is the very thing the rat-faced weasels run the hell away from.

"You didn't elect me to serve; you elected me to rule." Those were the oft' quoted words of some famous turd.

Secondly, while we need a bureaucracy to run things, we don't need those people to be elected. Moreover, throwing out a whole entire bureaucracy every four or five years is the stupidest thing imaginable. That's about the time it takes to get people well-broken in. On top of that, there is nothing so incredibly stupid as having a bureaucracy with a political agenda. Who in their right fracking mind thought that was a good idea?

The only thing that needs changing every few years is a board of directors and those that oversee their doings. That much is needed to keep everyone honest.

But as for the politics . . . the time is long past to get the politics out of government bureaucracies. If someone has an agenda, they have no business being in politics. People with an agenda make the worst public servants, because the act of having an agenda is at cross-purposes with running an impartial bureaucracy.

Edited by gsmonks, 26 February 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#62 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

Further, politics, for politicians, is about doing one or two things the masses want, to appease them, and to spend the rest of the time pissing around with stuff that only concerns them. That has to stop.

#63 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

Of all the people on the planet, politicians have the absolute worst record when it comes to bloody-well doing what they're told.

#64 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:51 PM

And furthermore . . . rat-faced weasels from all political parties love to yack and chirp and rectal spew about Democratic reform, but then yank it back after they're elected (as Canada's Liberals just did) when they realise such reforms with loosen their hold on power, or else threaten their chances of getting reelected. Gerrymandering of that type has been going on since Democracy was invented, and it too has to stop. Democracy itself, in how it works, is the problem.

#65 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

View Post243Skunk, on 13 November 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

1. Have fair primaries. I would have voted for any of the other three or four candidates you guys had a year ago, before Trump or Clinton. Yes, including Bernie (which is saying a lot coming from a conservative).

2. Calling us deplorable or misogynist doesn't help sway us to vote for your person. Just saying.

I was going to do a quasi #3 about a fair impartial media, but I think that's really besides the point. People hear what they want to hear. It really boils down to having a better candidate, and don't piss off the other side so much that they say "screw it" and don't vote.

MARK: I said this year's ago...things will only get worse for America, until substantial changes are implemented in our election laws. All the way from the President, down to the lowest ranking elected official. Term limits need to be placed on All elected officials.
You know, I also don't see a reason why there shouldn't be term limits set for Supreme Court Justices, or at least age limits.
Also, why do we as "free" Americans allow our Senators and Congressmen to decide for themselves when they get a raise, and decide for themselves how much money they will make?

If these same Senators and Congressmen had the same Healthcare that the rest of us lowly minions are forced to take, perhaps we may see better Healthcare for all (now that would be a big step toward justice for all).

Ever hear what our elected officials' benefits are when they retire? I guarantee it's more than the rest of us could ever hope for. Also, most of these people are already wealthy, and do continue their own
Expanse of wealth by writing books, and giving lectures where they are often paid enormous sums of money. Why should we the people continue to pay these people ludicrous sums of retirement money when most of them have already grown into millionaires (often at our expense)?

One more thing in my rant...Why do we allow these men (ex-Presidents included) to continue taking tax-payer money, while they are increasing their own net worth with their own endevours? After all, when we little people are on the taxpayers payroll (on Social Security Disability, for one example), the government tells us we can't earn over a certain amount of money, or even have personal proprty worth over $3,000, without it affecting receiving SSDI monies, either in-part, or completely. Did you know the current government rules that I personally have to abide by don't even allow me to receive any inheritance from my grandfather that goes over that $3,000 limit, without them being able to legally cut my SSDI (which includes my Medicaid benefits).

So, my grandfather and parents can't leave me much of anything they'd like to, or I no longer will get the medical care I require. How's that for playing hardball with a disabled person? Our government does this evil deed to millions of legally disabled Americans every day...yet we allow them to retire, while continuing to take an income that they themselves decided upon.

Anybody here wanna go with me to petition the President to investigating these outrages, while those same elected officials are so deadlocked on despising each other, that there will be little done, or nothing at all accomplished for the good all of us. The same thing happened during the last Presidency, when Obama thought that because he was such a reasonable, likeable guy, he could get the left and the right to come together for the greater good. Ask Obama how frustrated he became, when he wasn't able to accomplish what needed to be done, because our two party system of government no longer works...it doesn't work for them, and it certainly doesn't work for us!

Edited by Mark, 09 March 2017 - 11:00 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#66 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

In my opinion, it's bigger than just the US, Mark. It's the whole rotten mess the Western World has turned into. You can't fix the US without fixing Canada, parts of Europe and the UK, and Australia. Their political workings are intertwined, because their legal machinery and business machinery are intertwined. International negotiations are a morass of politics, law, and business.

When "free-trade" agreements are reached, the workers feel the jack-boots of governments on their necks, as the rights of workers are one of the playing cards in the hands of negotiators. This is how/why the US government turns a blind eye to immigrant workers getting a fraction of minimum wage.

In fact, this is the ugly underlying truth of immigrant workers no one in the US ever talks about: letting them in to work illegally is done specifically to create a huge labour pool that isn't bound to the minimum-wage agreement. You can't legally pay them less than minimum wage, so you create a situation in which they can enter the country and work illegally.

The situation of having cheap immigrant labour was the result of crooked back-room deals between government and big-business. It's not something that happened by accident, or because everyone was asleep at the switch. It happened because big-business colluded with government to make it that way.

They also wanted those people working illegally so that when it came to situations like the present one, they could be kicked out of the country, or used as a political football, without any legal recourse whatsoever.

But you can't separate immigrant workers from the union variety, because both are under the same pressures, equally; to strip them of their rights, lower their wages, and get rid of their benefits. The "illegal" status is there to drive a wedge between these two types of workers, who by rights are different parts of the same bloody labour pool.

And nowadays it goes beyond all borders. If people in one country get screwed, the other employers in the other partner countries do the same rat-bastard things.

Back in the old days, the trade unions formed world-wide, not just in the US. Then as now, you can't fix things in the US without fixing them everywhere else.

#67 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

Mark: Yeah, gsmonks.  We have many global problems. However, the only way I know of to successfully fix many of the world's problems is to first look at ourselves, and see what we can do to improve ourselves, and our situation....then we'd be in a much better position to assist those other problem countries.

One thing I've noticed a lot this year, are people who've been raised on the Internet, spend most of their lives with their heads buried in a cell-phone or computer, and seeing the outcomes of what we used to call "children". You can't have a family dinner at a nice restaurant when 3 out of 5 family members are texting, emailing, and generally oblivious to everything, and everyone around them. We've raised at least one generation of people who are extremely spoiled and self-centered, and now they're children are having children.   Some people I've met who are from this knew tech-based social media world are as bad to me about how they handle their own children as parent's who are drug addicts. Neither of those groups seem to spend the quality time with their kids that they need to develop into a mature and caring individual. There are so many similarities to tech-addicted parents and drug-addicted parenting skills, that some qualified psychiatrist should be writing books of warnings about how families are being NOT raised today, but just existing with others and living for themselves.
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#68 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:27 AM

Well, this has been an area of study since well back in the arcade days when it was found that video display frequencies are as addictive in their way as heroin, if I'm remembering the analogy correctly. This was back in the early 80's, so my memory's a bit foggy as to the exact details.

Sellers of this technology have been pursuing lines of addiction after the fashion of the creators of the tobacco industry in the 17th century. Marketing follows user trends that indicate the highest levels of addictive usage. High usage = "let's make more of that".

Business and marketing are fundamentally corrupt in this area because there's no sense of social responsibility. It's all about exploitation for profit with no regard whatsoever for ethics.

The decline of the family is precisely due to the insertion of technology acting as a middleman. It began with radio, continued with television, transferred itself to the personal computer, and has recently jumped to hand-held devices.

Fans of radio and television often talk about both as though they were some kind of golden age, but they weren't- they were quite the opposite, in fact. Lots of people hated radio, back in the day.

"Artie Shaw described himself as "cursed with serious-mindedness. ... There was radio, the only mass medium. And if you wanted to play for a living you had to play execrable music, music [that] was really dreadful, something that sickened you."

And television?

Edited by gsmonks, 10 March 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#69 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:08 AM

View PostMark, on 09 March 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

Mark: Yeah, gsmonks.  We have many global problems. However, the only way I know of to successfully fix many of the world's problems is to first look at ourselves, and see what we can do to improve ourselves, and our situation....then we'd be in a much better position to assist those other problem countries.

One thing I've noticed a lot this year, are people who've been raised on the Internet, spend most of their lives with their heads buried in a cell-phone or computer, and seeing the outcomes of what we used to call "children". You can't have a family dinner at a nice restaurant when 3 out of 5 family members are texting, emailing, and generally oblivious to everything, and everyone around them. We've raised at least one generation of people who are extremely spoiled and self-centered, and now they're children are having children.  

Some people I've met who are from this new tech-based social media world are as bad to me about how they handle their own children as parent's who are drug addicts. Neither of those groups seem to spend the quality time with their kids that they need to develop into a mature and caring individual. There are so many similarities to tech-addicted parents and drug-addicted parenting skills, that some qualified psychiatrist should be writing books of warnings about how families are being NOT raised today, but just existing with others and living for themselves.

Mark: Sorry about re-posting in this old thread, but I felt compelled to re-post because of my prophetic accuracy (given current events of mass shootings).
After the recent school shooting in Florida, does anybody else see what I was talking about being true? Is admitting many of our children's psyche is partly being damaged because parents have changed the way they raise their kids too much for us to admit? We should ALL be blaming ourselves (as a malfunctioning society) for our nation's current state of affairs.
Also, another major factor (IMO) is our country's population has grown so rapidly in the last 100 years, that people are crowding into urban areas. Not too long ago, people were so widely spaced and sparsely connected, that many kids only saw their parents after school, and weren't distracted from family interaction (therefore absorbing moral values from them).

Kids are now subjected to an ever-growing population of people who mostly raised themselves, and EVERYONE has their heads buried in their cellphones, and televisions too much to know how to really interact with strangers, and handle social situations that people of my generation know how to do. Decreases in moral values have escalated as our families have disintegrated.

P.S. We shouldn't be looking for someone to blame about Russia messing with our minds during an election either. All we need to do is look in the mirror to see who is to blame. We've become ever increasing victims...through our own faults that we're too short-sited, and self-absorbed to see, or admit. It's time we stop REACTING to our bad situation, and start taking ACTIONS proactively to fix things BEFORE bad things happen!!!

Edited by Mark, 20 February 2018 - 01:17 AM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#70 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Cities aren't always but usually are socially destructive places. It's a modern phenomenon that the greater the population, the greater is age-stratification. One-room country schoolhouses didn't have age-stratification, as all school-age children were together. When I was a child, sometimes 2-4 years of kids populated classrooms. Today it's one age only. Then there's the decline of the nuclear family, which has been going on since the 19th century.

Cities are a problem.

Similarly, when you see pig shows on tv, where poor, uneducated, drug- and alcohol-addicted are being pushed around by "righteous" pigs, what few realise is that it's the pigs that are largely the problem. A peaceful situation is transformed instantly into a dangerous one by the descent of pigs on people who are minding their own business. What you're actually seeing is a form of class warfare.

#71 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

View PostMark, on 20 February 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

One thing I've noticed a lot this year, are people who've been raised on the Internet, spend most of their lives with their heads buried in a cell-phone or computer, and seeing the outcomes of what we used to call "children". You can't have a family dinner at a nice restaurant when 3 out of 5 family members are texting, emailing, and generally oblivious to everything, and everyone around them. We've raised at least one generation of people who are extremely spoiled and self-centered, and now they're children are having children.  

Some people I've met who are from this new tech-based social media world are as bad to me about how they handle their own children as parent's who are drug addicts. Neither of those groups seem to spend the quality time with their kids that they need to develop into a mature and caring individual. There are so many similarities to tech-addicted parents and drug-addicted parenting skills, that some qualified psychiatrist should be writing books of warnings about how families are being NOT raised today, but just existing with others and living for themselves.

Mark: Sorry about re-posting in this old thread, but I felt compelled to re-post because of my prophetic accuracy (given current events of mass shootings).
After the recent school shooting in Florida, does anybody else see what I was talking about being true? Is admitting many of our children's psyche is partly being damaged because parents have changed the way they raise their kids too much for us to admit? We should ALL be blaming ourselves (as a malfunctioning society) for our nation's current state of affairs.

I in general agree with you with a couple minor and major caveats. There is a problem with one of those kids at the school so bad that he shot up the school. A large number of those kids actions during and after the shooting though… they are heroes. One kid died holding a door open for kids to escape. Another ended up in the hospital after holding a door closed in another room. And the kids speaking up since the tragedy are organizing and very well spoken. So, some of those kids were raised right.

A major caveat… Society has less taboos, and is somewhat more open about taking about private family dysfunctions. Families were dysfunctional in the past. Frequency may be hard to pin down, when dysfunction typically happens behind closed doors. But domestic abuse (of spouses and children) was just not talked about. And if it did come up it was hushed up, even by civil authorities (cops) and moral authorities (priests/etc).

I do think it is also a problem kids are given *less* autonomy now-a-days, and can't learn from trying/failing/succeeding. Parent's are have Children Protection Agencies sicced on them if they let their kids off their property/out of their sight alone, even when they are over 10. Sure, there are risks to giving them independence (though less than fear mongers says), but there are worse risks to not giving them independence, not letting them roam the woods/neighbourhood and/or meet up with neighbourhood kids either and/or make it or not on their own school project or hobby. And I think it is needed more so now, now that families have 1 or 2 children they don't get the diversity in personalities to negotiate and compromise to make just among their immediate family that they typically got in the past.

Edited by sierraleone, 20 February 2018 - 05:11 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#72 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

That's a city thing. Here in the country, kids are left to their own devices, just as they were 50 years ago and more.

City kids are messed up. Supervised by their parents when they play or do anything, unnatural supervision, unnatural interaction, unnatural play-time.

Get rid of cities and city-thinking would solve the problem.

I heard a guy talking b.s. about money on the radio (CBC) this morning, which was similar. He was spewing nonsense about money being universal and standardised, and was obviously a city-dweller. Money, in the real world, is, like gravity, a local phenomenon, where its actual value is concerned. Things are cheaper here in the country, FAR more expensive in the city. Universal and standardised my arse. City people are full of themselves, full of arrogant presumption about pretty much everything.

#73 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 20 February 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostMark, on 20 February 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

I in general agree with you with a couple minor and major caveats. There is a problem with one of those kids at the school so bad that he shot up the school. A large number of those kids actions during and after the shooting though… they are heroes. One kid died holding a door open for kids to escape. Another ended up in the hospital after holding a door closed in another room. And the kids speaking up since the tragedy are organizing and very well spoken. So, some of those kids were raised right.

A major caveat… Society has less taboos, and is somewhat more open about taking about private family dysfunctions. Families were dysfunctional in the past. Frequency may be hard to pin down, when dysfunction typically happens behind closed doors. But domestic abuse (of spouses and children) was just not talked about. And if it did come up it was hushed up, even by civil authorities (cops) and moral authorities (priests/etc).

I do think it is also a problem kids are given *less* autonomy now-a-days, and can't learn from trying/failing/succeeding. Parent's are have Children Protection Agencies sicced on them if they let their kids off their property/out of their sight alone, even when they are over 10. Sure, there are risks to giving them independence (though less than fear mongers says), but there are worse risks to not giving them independence, not letting them roam the woods/neighbourhood and/or meet up with neighbourhood kids either and/or make it or not on their own school project or hobby. And I think it is needed more so now, now that families have 1 or 2 children they don't get the diversity in personalities to negotiate and compromise to make just among their immediate family that they typically got in the past.

Mark: I didn't intend to imply they were all bad. :shrug:  Yes, I agree there were some real heroes out of this group of young people. From the way they so so articulately express themselves, they may end-up doing a better job of running the country when their generation is in charge.

Edited by Mark, 23 February 2018 - 12:45 AM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: democrats, liberals, prez45, clinton, bernie, sanders

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users