• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

I think we all know how the Republicans tried to disable an independent ethics committee early last week, but did not due to public backlash.

Well, they have found that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and they quietly slipped through a rule change.

http://www.businessi...ule-2017-1?IR=T

A new rule quietly shields lawmaker records from Congressional ethics inquiries

That sentence enables individual members to hide official documents that could prove embarrassing or even incriminating if they were suddenly investigated by the ethics office or the Justice Department for criminal activity.
The new rule states that records created, generated or received by the congressional office of a House member “are exclusively the personal property of the individual member” and that the member “has control over such records,” according to a report by OpenSecrets.org.

What the change from public to personal records means is that if the ethics committee, or even criminal investigators, wanted records of a congressional office they can't just tell the congressperson or their staff to hand it over or risk certain consequences. They would need a warrant or subpoena to make a congressperson feel legal pressure/risk to release documents. Before thinking that is fair protections, remember these are employment/work documents, and the employer is the government/the people. You can't withhold some of the records you have created, generated, or received, in the course of your work from your employer if they ask for it, as they are not your personal records, but your employer's records.

Edited by sierraleone, 10 January 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#42 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

And the beat goes on...

#43 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

I can hear the breathing of Dark Helmet in the background . . .
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#44 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 10 January 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

I can hear the breathing of Dark Helmet in the background . . .

That's just Ludicrous. About your speed, gsmonks.

ETA:  

Edited by yadda yadda, 10 January 2017 - 04:19 PM.

#45 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

LOL! Yes, the next four years in Whitey's House are sure to resemble this!

#46 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,598 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

I'm not trying to make a statement here, but it's a hilarious coincidence that there was a TV show "Trackdown" (1957-59) starring Robert Culp (*), which in late April/early May 1958 (sources differ slightly) had an episode where a conman named "Trump" told a Texas town that the world as they knew it would soon end, unless they built a wall, and ONLY he knew how to get it done.

As an Admin, I won't tell you how to watch the full episode (those sites may be willfully violating copyright), but I feel comfortable pointing at a mix of short excerpts under various Fair Use exemptions.

• * if you remember him in his heyday, you may enjoy seeing him again, even if he does look impossibly young (years before I was born) and undistinguished without the character of age that is often needed to bring beauty / handsomeness to it's peak.
  • ** I feel sadly obligated to note this: as beloved as Robert Culp was, his co-star on "I Spy" (a young black man named Bill Cosby) gained even more of a cult status. It's hard to explain to the young'uns today that before Star Trek aired (and long before the forced Uhura/Kirk kiss in season 3), Culp and Cosby played a pair of CIA agents, traveling the globe as a womanizing Olympic-class professional tennis team -- and that Cosby was clearly shown as the smarter, more responsible of the two. (*sigh*) He had every unthinkable edge, even in the benighted era of1965. It's so disappointing that he blew it by being a sexual predator.

#47 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

Wonderful!  How did anyone find that??  The Donald needs the robe.
Cats will never be extinct!

#48 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 11 January 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

I'm not trying to make a statement here, but it's a hilarious coincidence that there was a TV show "Trackdown" (1957-59) starring Robert Culp (*), which in late April/early May 1958 (sources differ slightly) had an episode where a conman named "Trump" told a Texas town that the world as they knew it would soon end, unless they built a wall, and ONLY he knew how to get it done.

As an Admin, I won't tell you how to watch the full episode (those sites may be willfully violating copyright), but I feel comfortable pointing at a mix of short excerpts under various Fair Use exemptions.

• * if you remember him in his heyday, you may enjoy seeing him again, even if he does look impossibly young (years before I was born) and undistinguished without the character of age that is often needed to bring beauty / handsomeness to it's peak.
  • ** I feel sadly obligated to note this: as beloved as Robert Culp was, his co-star on "I Spy" (a young black man named Bill Cosby) gained even more of a cult status. It's hard to explain to the young'uns today that before Star Trek aired (and long before the forced Uhura/Kirk kiss in season 3), Culp and Cosby played a pair of CIA agents, traveling the globe as a womanizing Olympic-class professional tennis team -- and that Cosby was clearly shown as the smarter, more responsible of the two. (*sigh*) He had every unthinkable edge, even in the benighted era of1965. It's so disappointing that he blew it by being a sexual predator.

Except that being a sexual predator in the 60's was a badge of honour. Lots of male public figures were pussy-grabbers in those days. The expression amongst women was "free with his hands". Bruno Gerussi and Bill Good Jr were two creeps my stepmother worked with in radio.

You can't look at behaviour of the past with today's attitudes.

#49 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:47 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 11 January 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

I forgot to mention that the Trump mentioned in Trackdown was Fred Trump, Donald Trump's father. Those references aren't coincidences. They're factual.

I'm showing my age here, but you had to have been around in 1958 to know that Fred Trump was in the news at the time for being a well-known scumbag, and had songs written about him at the time by Woody Guthrie. The Trackdown episode was based on one of Guthrie's tunes.

#50 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

U.S. House approves bill baring taxpayer money for abortions

They want to make the Hyde amendment permanent. But the bill goes beyond Hyde.

The legislation also includes a provision that would ban anyone who obtains insurance through health care exchanges created by Obamacare and uses government subsidies from using those funds for plans that cover abortion services. Republicans are working to dismantle the health care law this year.

Another link I had read said this affects small companies from being able to provide health insurance plans to cover it also. So, basically, health insurance companies will largely stop offering health insurance plans that provide coverage for abortion. As usual, well off women need not worry…. Democrats say this won't pass the senate, but the fact that the GOP did this right after the demonstrations this weekend shows they do not care about their women constituents.

Edited by sierraleone, 24 January 2017 - 06:35 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#51 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

I imagine we can expect to hear more about "Blue Lives Matter" bills in state legislators. In Louisiana they have made it a felony to resist arrest, punishable with up to 10 years in prison. Doesn't matter if you were wrongfully arrested, or any of the circumstances surround your arrest. And resist arrest is already too vague a charge in many cases. Regular people do not have training to deal with these situations, so their fight or flight response is going to be activated.

One can be pro-law enforcement, but anti-this. Because we already have enough issue with too long sentences for minor crimes and issues with the criminal justice system. Do they need to fill the prisons in Louisiana again.

ETA: oh, and it is a felony hate crime. The group protected from hate being cops. Let me know when right tack on hate charges for killing/harming people in another profession: abortion providers.

Edited by sierraleone, 26 January 2017 - 09:34 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#52 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

I hadn't heard about that but I'll be paying more attention now.   Agreed about fight or flight response being activated...
Cats will never be extinct!

#53 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,985 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

^I thought I saw where the "hate crime" part was just some uninformed moron mouthing off. The police chief of St. Martinville, to be specific. But I haven't run down the reality yet.

#54 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Republican take first steps to kill five Obama-era regulations

House Republicans on Monday began the process of killing five Obama-era rules on corruption, the environment, labor and guns under the first real test of the Congressional Review Act, a law intended to keep regulation in check.

- Masha Gessen

#55 243Skunk

243Skunk

A real stinker

• Islander
  • 352 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 January 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

I imagine we can expect to hear more about "Blue Lives Matter" bills in state legislators. In Louisiana they have made it a felony to resist arrest, punishable with up to 10 years in prison. Doesn't matter if you were wrongfully arrested, or any of the circumstances surround your arrest. And resist arrest is already too vague a charge in many cases. Regular people do not have training to deal with these situations, so their fight or flight response is going to be activated.

One can be pro-law enforcement, but anti-this. Because we already have enough issue with too long sentences for minor crimes and issues with the criminal justice system. Do they need to fill the prisons in Louisiana again.

ETA: oh, and it is a felony hate crime. The group protected from hate being cops. Let me know when right tack on hate charges for killing/harming people in another profession: abortion providers.

I for one love the idea and support it 100%

And the next time I'm on a skirmish line and get excrement thrown at me, or get a mouthfull of blood spit on me by some whackjob, I will remember that it was because of a "heightened sense of fight or flight."

Absolutely asinine.

#56 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

Senate Democrats tried to obstruct Senate Panels by not being in attendance for some panel votes that are required for nominees to go forward. The Republicans changed the rules so that it didn't require any democrats on the panels to be in attendance.

So both the selections of Tom Price (Department of Health and Human Services nominee) and Steve Mnuchin (Treasure secretary nominee) are headed to the floor for a vote.

http://www.reuters.c...s-idUSKBN15G4QJ

Oh, and Republicans in the House have axed some regulations put in place in 2010:
U.S. House axes regulations on oil and mining company payments, stream pollution

- Masha Gessen

#57 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

Trump vows to end prohibition on church political activity

A change in the law would require action in the Republican-led U.S. Congress, and Republican lawmakers on Wednesday introduced legislation that would reverse the policy.

I shared this story here too, since it involved things being undertaken by Republicans in Congress.

Also:
Iowa moves to cut Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood

The Republican-controlled Iowa state senate voted on Thursday to cut Medicaid funding for family planning services to abortion providers including Planned Parenthood.

It goes to the Iowa state House now.

- Masha Gessen

#58 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

Ah, yes . . . saving babies by killing desperate young women by driving them to get kitchen-utensil abortions, just like they used to do in the 1920's.

Makes perfect sense if you're stoopid.

#59 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

Wow, last week the Arkansas Governor signed into law abortion restrictions.

The only thing in the Reuters article is that is bans the D&C procedure, the most common procedure in the second trimester.

But other articles are saying buried in the bill that it gives her family a say in the procedure. It allows a woman's husband, or a woman's parents/legal guardians (if she is a minor) to interfere. Essentially a husband or parents can file a civil lawsuit agains the doctor for either monetary damages or injunctive relief (a court order that would prevent the doctor from going ahead with the procedure). And they considered rape/"criminal conduct". That bars the husband from suing for monetary damages, but NOT from pursuing injunctive relief…..

Edited by sierraleone, 03 February 2017 - 08:01 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#60 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

Isn't it cute how the Repellicans stick their filthy noses where they don't belong? Like women's uteruses, LGBTQ's anuses, anywhere that's none of their goddamned business?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users