13 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 10:10 AM

http://story.news.ya...crime_police_dc

A New York City police officer faces child sex charges even though he married the Oregon girl he allegedly molested after giving a speech about the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.

"We will definitely still prosecute," said Eric Hsu, Deputy District Attorney in Linn County, Oregon, where Matthew De Gennaro, 32, allegedly photographed himself having sex with a 17-year-old high school student from Corvallis, Oregon.

An 11-year police veteran, De Gennaro was arrested in New York on Sept. 5 and charged with depicting a child engaging in sex acts and two counts of encouraging child sexual abuse, charges that could land him in prison for 70 months.

De Gennaro met a group of four girls at Corvallis High School in May 2002 while on a nationwide speaking tour, including the 17-year-old he later married. She is now 18.

"Several young women were interested in him," Corvallis Police Capt. Robert Deutsch told Reuters by telephone.

After swapping e-mails with all four, De Gennaro became more involved with one girl, leading to phone calls and a return visit to Oregon in August 2002, where the two met at a Holiday Inn in nearby Albany, Oregon.

The now-suspended policeman documented the ensuing tryst in photographs and came back to visit the girl again in April, Deutsch said.

The girl's mother found five photographs, one very explicit, and contacted the FBI (news - web sites), which passed the information to the Corvallis Police Department.

What kind of cop is this, let alone man, he has sex with a teenager after giving a speech about the 9/11 attacks, then takes pictures of the sex act itself. :glare:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 10:51 AM

Sick!Sick!Sick!Sick!Sick!Sick!

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:07 AM

Hrm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but spouses can't be compelled to testify against each other, right? Wonder how that factors into this?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:52 AM

Javert Rovinski, on Sep 27 2003, 12:07 PM, said:

Hrm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but spouses can't be compelled to testify against each other, right? Wonder how that factors into this?

Although the new Mrs. De Gennaro might not be forced to testify against her husband under Oregon law, Hsu told Reuters prosecutors had "other evidence we can establish. We won't let this affect the case at this point."

I think they've already thought about that, and are trying to find a way around it. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:59 AM

Not only sick, but stupid!

Let's see: He's a cop. He decides to BREAK THE LAW. Not only does he DECIDE TO BREAK THE LAW, he DOCUMENTS HIMSELF DOING IT!

:wacko:

#6 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 01:56 PM

One technical comment...

The age of consent in Oregon, as best as I can find on line is 18...

However, for New York, the age of consent is 17....
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#7 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:54 PM

In some states, the age of consent is as low as 14. If 18 is the age for Oregon, and if he had sex with the girl in Oregon, then I guess he did break the law.

I just can't get up in arms about a guy having sex with a 17-yr-old, though, especially since it would be perfectly legal in many states. Calling it "child molestation" flat-out offends me. There is a HUGE difference between sex with a 17 year old and sex with a 7 year old.

Morrhigan
Posted Image

#8 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:55 PM

Good point, however the acts took place in Oregon, not New York.

Altough I suppose the cop could say he didn't know the age was different.

#9 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, I'm just not seeing this at the same level of what I'd call pedophiles.  Women used to be married (and sometimes pregnant) by age 15.  I'm not saying I want a return to that, but at 17 she isn't going to look substantially different than she would at say 21.  

Still, there is the definite issue of her having a lot less life experience and that's usually the biggest issue in these "just under legal" issues.  He's nearly twice her age even at 17.  She probably should have gotten a little bit more time in before marriage to a guy who lives a continent away.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#10 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 06:02 PM

I agree some what, Uncle Sid, on the over all lack of  life lessons/experience, but I somehow doubt she was 'forced' to marry him. and like Morrhigan I am very unsettled by calling this "child molestation".

#11 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:51 AM

I don't remember off the top of my head but does the marital privilege apply to conduct and communications that happened BEFORE the marriage?

Lil
Posted Image

#12 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:00 AM

This happened in my state, and this is the first that I've heard about it? :eek:

Rommie :cylon:
Posted Image

#13 Guest-2112st-Guest

Guest-2112st-Guest

Posted 28 September 2003 - 07:41 AM

Two things:

1) I find it appalling that different states have different ages of what is considered an appropriate age of consent. It should be uniform across the country-and having things this way IMO causes NOTHING but problems.  :glare:

2) I personally find the idea of an older man having sex with anyone under 20 to be disgusting-and I don't care WHERE it's legal.  :glare:

Rake me over the coals-I don't care. My opinion stands.  :angry:

Saul

#14 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 10:14 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Sep 27 2003, 11:51 PM, said:

I don't remember off the top of my head but does the marital privilege apply to conduct and communications that happened BEFORE the marriage?

Lil
I believe it does. Remember the Enron guy who married his secretary before she could testify?

VT-- It can lead to awkward situations, but it's part of federalism. Frankly, I don't want congressmen and senators and the president dictating morality my state; I want to figure it out on my own. Would you be comftorable if the federal government imposed Texas-style gun laws on your state? If that's fine with you, replace with examples of your choice.

I personally find the idea of an older man having sex with anyone under 20 to be disgusting-and I don't care WHERE it's legal.

It's a good thing you can vote to change it at the local level, then. :).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New York, NYC, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users