Supergirl CW DC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image

This was certainly a jam packed episode. A lot of simmering plot lines came to a boil here.

I am loving the Guardian stuff. When I first heard they were going to make James a hero I groaned. It seemed like a last ditch effort to save the character. Boy was I wrong. James becoming the Guardian and Winn being his sidekick/tech support has helped both characters tremendously. James is kicking butt as the Guardian. His B-plot this episode was just as engaging as the A-plot. The vigilante serial killer was a good foe for him, and had a sympathetic reason for killing bad guys.

Nice Batman reference without actually saying the name Batman. There was also a nice nod to Thanagar.

Mon-El is falling for Kara hard. Not a surprise at all but I think they'll be a better couple than Kara and James. I do like that he's still getting adjusted to Earth customs. I laughed when he told the guard that he was ugly and so only a dog would marry him. It was a smart way to get him angry and allow Mon-El to escape.

The head of Cadmus is Lex's biological mother, Lillian. Her logic makes a crazy kind of sense. She believes Superman turned the world against her son and betrayed him and now wants to punish all aliens. A mother's love can be a terrifying thing.

J'onn found out Megan was a white Martian and he was not happy. The battle the two had was really well done. I understand J'onn's point of view. To him, all white Martians are completely evil and want to exterminate every last green Martian. Even if Megan did try to save some green Martians, she is still culpable in his eyes.

I like that this season is tackling hard issues like racism, with Kara and Mon-El and now J'onn and Megan. I don't know if J'onn really has the authority to lock Megan up. As far as I'm aware, she hasn't done anything wrong on Earth and he has no proof she did anything wrong on Mars either. This is his ugly racism, no matter how well deserved, rearing its head.

Wow. J'onn is turning into a white Martian and according to Megan there is no way to stop it. That's going to cause a ton of problems. J'onn is literally about to become the thing he hates and fears the most.

Jeremiah makes a return appearance. He has to be working with Cadmus in some capacity to have a key card and be able to move about freely in what is obviously a temporary set-up. I am glad that he showed up. I was wondering how long it would be until he made an appearance.

The real Hank Henshaw returns, and he is not happy about an alien pretending to be him all this time. While the comic book fan in me loves that he called himself Cyborg Superman, the TV viewer wants to know why he has adopted that moniker. Yes, he's obviously a cyborg but he so far hasn't worn anything that points to himself trying to lay claim to the Superman symbol. I wonder if that's the ultimate goal: have Henshaw come out as a Cadmus approved hero and appropriate the S-shield symbol as a quick way to gain public approval. Or use it to tarnish the S-shield in the eyes of the public.

I got chills when Henshaw entered the Fortress of Solitude and used Kara's blood to access information about whatever Project Medusa is. No good will come of that.

There was some nice development on the Alex/Maggie front with Alex confronting Maggie about the mixed signals she has been sending. I like that the two ended the episode on good terms and maybe headed for a romantic relationship down the road.

I have to say, this season is firing on all cylinders. Let's hope the season keeps it up.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:51 PM

While I did like this episode, I do have problems with it...

First...If bullets are Mon El's kryptonite, he's at a SERIOUS disadvantage when it come to "being a hero". Any mugger with a gun could take him out, literally.

When I first saw Cyborg Superman and Kara fighting, I thought that perhaps Megan's blood was the reason for it....That was before I learned they were doing the whole Cyborg Superman thing. They kind of rushed that, IMO. I mean, he's obviously a cyborg, but how he's having the Superman moniker I don't get.

Regarding Cadmus.....How do they have THAT much nth metal? To make THAT many cages? How do they know where the fortress is? And they go through all of this to get Kara's blood, and they use it for THAT? I was expecting full on cloning or something along those lines. Although, to be fair...we never saw how many vials of blood they took from Kara. Why wouldn't Jeremiah leave with Kara and Mon El? I mean, Cadmus is going to know it was him from the key card he used, unless he stole a guard's? Why not leave right then and there?

Regarding Alex and maggie.....I'm so confused there it's not even funny. I fully get where Alex is coming from, and I loved that she told maggie off. I just don't understand Maggie's actions. She likes Alex, then she doesn't, only to be friends, and no back again...very confusing.

Loved the battle between J'onn and Megan. I'm fairly certain they'll figure out a way to stop him from becoming a White Martian though.

Now my biggest gripe....How the HELL did nobody at the table, in the bar, pick up on James being Guardian and Wyn his sidekick/tech....They were practically falling all over themselves praising Guardian and his sidekick/equal partner. It was THAT obvious.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

I'm already lost.  So Henshaw is Cyborg Superman??  How did the Superman part happen?  Though it helps explain how he took out Supergirl.  And James as Guardian - does he have powers I missed?  A background as a Seal?  

I'd expect they'll cure Mon-El's lead allergy soon.  Otherwise he's vulnerable to bullets even as a "civilian" in our gun culture.
Cats will never be extinct!

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

(Are modern bullets even still made from lead? It seems like something that material science would have moved beyond.)

Interesting that Mon-El's weakness to lead is still severely downplayed from the comics; pulling the bullet out wouldn't have saved him from the tissue poisoning.

Also kinda annoyed that none of them touched on the really relevant part of the Cadmus legend; he could quick-grow an army of Spartan supersoldiers using a dragon's teeth (or, perhaps, a Kryptonian's blood).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

Not sure if anyone else picked up on this, or maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there was a moment between Kara and Mon El when they were in the cells. When Kara was saying the the Prince saved Mon El because he saw something in him, and Mon El got this look on his face, like he was about to tell her something. My gut feeling is that Mon El stole the pod from the Prince, and that the story he told Kara was just that...a story. Because it almost looked like Mon El was about to tell Kara something, but then they were interrupted by Jeremiah.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:40 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 22 November 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

Not sure if anyone else picked up on this, or maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there was a moment between Kara and Mon El when they were in the cells. When Kara was saying the the Prince saved Mon El because he saw something in him, and Mon El got this look on his face, like he was about to tell her something. My gut feeling is that Mon El stole the pod from the Prince, and that the story he told Kara was just that...a story. Because it almost looked like Mon El was about to tell Kara something, but then they were interrupted by Jeremiah.

Yeah, either that or he is the Prince and is a spoiled entitled kid (which fits his personality of not wanting to protect people unlike how you'd think a guard would think).

I was thinking about how he knew enough about "human mating customs" to understand his guard was married, and insult him saying only a dog would marry him. And later he is talking about how Daxamites have marriages arranged from birth, and asks how human marriages come about (which yes, could have just been a statement to cover his inquiry into Kara's love life). All Daxamites marriages arranged, from birth, really? Even in Earth cultures that those of "low birth" have high rates of arranged marriages, rarely are they arranged in the grooms/bride's infancy.

So, his story of being a guard, I don't buy it. Only if maybe he was forced into the job and never felt a calling for it, and he is just now learning what it feels like to want to protect people because of Kara. Which seems odd on its face. Basically not realizing how much he should have cared about his job on Daxam. And, while he may have wanted to know if Daxam survived, would a guard who betrayed his world's Prince really want to contact home again and risk being discovered?

So, Prince who likes to make up stories to impress girls and/or hide his selfishness/cowardness? Assigned-at-birth Guard who was always a bit of a selfish coward who took over the Prince's pod? Some other Daxamites that thought they deserved a chance to survive at the price of the Prince's survival? Could be something different all together, we really have nothing but Mon-El's story.

Edited by sierraleone, 24 November 2016 - 05:00 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

I'm already lost.  So Henshaw is Cyborg Superman??  How did the Superman part happen?  Though it helps explain how he took out Supergirl.

I wish they hadn't called him Cyborg Superman yet. There's no context for it. In the comics Cyborg Superman showed up after Superman's "death" and pretended to be the real Superman while actually being a villain intent on ruining Superman's symbol.

And James as Guardian - does he have powers I missed?  A background as a Seal?

No powers. He has a suit that Winn designed that I'm sure helps him. He's also worked out in past episodes and I believe he's mentioned taking self defense or martial art classes or something along those lines. It's a stretch, I grant you, but one I'm willing to overlook since I'm loving him as Guardian.

i'd expect they'll cure Mon-El's lead allergy soon.  Otherwise he's vulnerable to bullets even as a "civilian" in our gun culture.

(Are modern bullets even still made from lead? It seems like something that material science would have moved beyond.)

From a very quick, very un-scientific Google search it seems as if lead is still prominent in bullets. In the comics Mon-El took a cure that would keep his lead allergy at bay and allowed him to continue to be a super hero.

Also kinda annoyed that none of them touched on the really relevant part of the Cadmus legend; he could quick-grow an army of Spartan supersoldiers using a dragon's teeth (or, perhaps, a Kryptonian's blood).

I thought the same thing. I really expected them to use Kara's blood either to enhance Henshaw or to create a clone. Though they still could. Kara herself said she didn't know how much blood they took. Maybe Superboy will be created using Kara's blood instead of Superman's.

Yeah, either that or he is the Prince and is a spoiled entitled kid (which fits his personality of not wanting to protect people unlike how you'd think a guard would think).

I bet it has to be one of those. Either he stole the pod (whether he was the Prince's guard or not) or he was the Prince and fled the planet and left his people to die. Maybe he made the story up about the Prince staying behind to help his people because he wished that's what he had done.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users