• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

It doesn't look like this show needs separate episode threads, so if you have any comments about any episodes past or present, post them here.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

I fell way behind on this show but I'm hoping with this semester of school almost done I'll have more time to catch up on shows, including this one.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

Just saw S1:EP9: The Blue Print

Good episode. I snorted when Hookstraten(sp?) says she didn't trust people to whom power fell into their laps. I think I misremember the old saying about power, but I certainly I wouldn't trust those who seek it for its own sake. I imaging one shouldn't automatically trust someone to whom has had power fall into their laps either. The real test is do they not want power and/or are willing to give it up.

I knew that agent wasn't going to make it to Hookstraten. I hope she is alive, but who knows. I wonder what is happening with her ally.

The President is somewhat getting an idea of how many snakes they are in the government, but needs more help on that front. I suspect at the end of his term(s) that he will end up pardoning that guy who gave him the information ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,519 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

I'm glad this show is getting a thread! Comments later.

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

I just saw the fall finale.

I prefer the episodes when the President was dealing with regular politics and post-bombing political upheaval, as opposed to the conspiracy-laden episodes, but sadly not completely avoidable.

Of course we don't see what happened with the assassin's shot. I think we can safely assume Kirkman is not dead ;) but anyone else on the stage is fair game. Even if this show wanted to go to a new Designated Survivor on a regular basis there is no new designated survivor yet, as Kirkman doesn't have an approved cabinet yet :D

So, MacLeish's wife is aware of the conspiracy. Is she a true believer like MacLeish is/was? Just before the bombing her kid went missing in a mall which made her phone MacLeish.

It appears Aaron, Chief of Staff, may be in on it too. I am hoping there is some other explanation for that phone call. Obviously the former Chief of Staff knows about it, but whether he was part of the conspiracy as opposed to just knew about it is another matter.

- Masha Gessen

#6 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

So, MacLeish's wife is aware of the conspiracy. Is she a true believer like MacLeish is/was? Just before the bombing her kid went missing in a mall which made her phone MacLeish.

My take was that the wife is more a true believer than MacLeish and may have recruited him to the plot. He was easily blackmailable because of what happened in Afghanistan, where he was in cahoots with top mercenary assassin. He does seem perturbed by all the carnage that has been mustered to put him in the White House. I would say that he supports the goals of the conspiracy but not its methods.

#7 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 18 December 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

I prefer the episodes when the President was dealing with regular politics and post-bombing political upheaval, as opposed to the conspiracy-laden episodes, but sadly not completely avoidable.

Of course we don't see what happened with the assassin's shot. I think we can safely assume Kirkman is not dead

It appears Aaron, Chief of Staff, may be in on it too

Preference seconded.
Of course Kirkman isn't dead.  Not when the suits probably greenlit the series because of Sutherland!
I haven't trusted Aaron from the start.

I was hoping for more about re-establishing the government and less about conspiracies.  Silly me.
Cats will never be extinct!

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

I suspect MacLeish may have been hit. But it is hard to imagine who is so powerful as to coordinate this massive scheme (or how the writers keep the storyline going if they get a second season.) Hopes of an extended civics lesson are probably dashed.

#9 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

Anyone still watching?

That feeling people had watching in in Nov/Dec last year I didn't have I had watching it today… Ugh. I hope that doesn't linger too long.

View PostThemis, on 20 December 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

I haven't trusted Aaron from the start.

I was hoping for more about re-establishing the government and less about conspiracies.  Silly me.

Still hoping for that too! :D

Aaron didn't seem on the same page as MacLeish this episode, so if he is un-trustworthy and sinister it appears that either his sinisterness is separate from the MacLeish conspiracy (and someone used his office to punt that capital bombing report), or he doesn't know all the actors/plans, or is playing the good foil for appearances.

I hope the MacLeish thing gets blow open real soon instead of a drip drip each week for the next half season of them trying to find evidence to pin on MacLeish.

- Masha Gessen

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,519 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

I watch it. I'm not sure why. DVRs are such a mixed blessing.

It has such vanishingly small contact with reality that I shudder to imagine what Season 2 would be like. I suspect it would be all the worst of S1.
(A friend who loves Blacklist made me watch its spinoff, Blacklist Redemption, which seems to be all the worst bits of Blacklist)

Yet I watch. I even enjoy it. But I wonder why.

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:13 AM

MacLeish is just the conspiracy's way into control of the government. His wife seems to be the one with a bigger stake in whatever the Big Bad's end game is.

Orph, you are so right about Blacklist: Redemption. But Blacklist itself would be pretty bad without Spader.

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

View PostCardie, on 13 March 2017 - 02:13 AM, said:

. But Blacklist itself would be pretty bad without Spader.

Indeed.

As for Survivor, I think I read that it IS supposed to focus more on re-establishing the government, but you couldn't prove it by this first post-break episode.
Cats will never be extinct!

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

I have up on Blacklist Redemption after the episode where they pulled a device that was almost the size of a school lunchbox out of a cia agent. There is literally no way that size of a device is going to fit inside the body like they showed.

As for this series...My brain hurt after they did the surgery on the President, to remove bullet fragments. My mind kept saying: "If a conspiracy of this size was actually in place, surely they would have control of the surgical team? On the off chance the sniper did miss. Why wouldn't they have plans in place in case he did miss? And at first I thought that's who the blonde surgeon was, their contigency plan...but that appears to not have been the case. Also, the FBI had photos and video of everyone at the State of the Union, why wouldn't they have noticed that the President's chief of Staff's seat was empty at the time?

But despite these things, or maybe it's just because of what happened this episode, I still find myself interested. Mainly for curiosity about just who the bid bad is, and what their plan, or reason, is? I mean, it certainly appears that their handpicked VP, and short time President, was definitely expendable.

Why would the conspiracy kill the FBI director's son, after he did what they wanted? They had to know that would result in him coming clean, probably being reinstated, and he would be coming after them with a vengeance. So why do it?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#14 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,519 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

I don't mean to disrespect those who watch Designated Survivor. I actually like it more than most shows I still follow. I just don't know/can't articulate why.
(I ditched most of my list in recent months, b/c I knew I didn't enjoy the shows themselves, just the fan discussions)

Cardie, Spader was the only reason I agreed to start watching Blacklist at all.
Fun game: imagine Reddington actually was Keith Butterfield (Endless Love, 1981), Jake Nichols (The Family Tree, 1983), Graham Dalton (Sex, Lies and Videotape, 1989) or movie Daniel Jackson.
Construct a life path that made him into Reddington. (Do not attempt this with his recent roles, like Ultron. This game needs decades to play the transition out)

#15 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

why wouldn't they have noticed that the President's chief of Staff's seat was empty at the time?

It was MacLeish's seat that was empty. Aaron wasn't at the State of the Union. I remember there was some manipulation of the feed that showed MacLeish's seat empty and only careful computer sleuthing revealed it.

Now that the MacLeish plot was blown, I guess they didn't need to manipulate anyone to make it look like the Islamic terrorists did it or to conceal the identity of the dead sniper. (That ship sailed when they couldn't get to Hannah before she talked to Kirkman.) Why didn't they just release the kid, though? I was sort of shocked by his murder. I'm wondering whether the connection to the military action that went bad is some clue as to who the big bads are or whether that was just leverage to get MacLeish and the sniper onboard. They did seem eager to make sure that the other member of the unit didn't panic and tell the truth about the mission.

#16 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,519 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

I wouldn't call it "blown". I'd say the door was barely cracked. Disclosing to, and Convincing, the public w/o  national upheaval is 99% of the task. It's politics, after all.

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,588 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

My main issues with this episode are: 1: The two agents with the VP, at the final meeting, were nowhere to be seen when Maggie Q was running towards the VP, gun drawn. Maggie Q should've been shot by those two agents. And number 2: There is no way the secret service would've allowed the wife of the VP to drive herself anywhere, much less alone.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#18 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

I wouldn't call it "blown". I'd say the door was barely cracked. Disclosing to, and Convincing, the public w/o  national upheaval is 99% of the task. It's politics, after all.

Blown in the sense that Plan A was to make their stooge POTUS. I'm sure there is another strategy but it probably involves a different set of personnel who need to be leveraged, thus making it unnecessary to pressure Malik Yoba's character by holding his son.

#19 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
    • 17,519 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I only hope they make the "why" worth it -- or at least fleshed out

#20 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
    • 8,697 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Watched this weeks episode, much more enjoyable with a larger focus on the governing front.

I am usually a chuckled on the inside person, but "You want me to personalize this one?" certainly had the juvenile in me laughing on the outside :)

- Masha Gessen

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users