#1 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

I'm surprised no one has posted this:

John Glenn, American Hero of the Space Age, Dies at 95

Rest in Peace, and fly high, John Glenn.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

Probably because 95 is a good long life, and because Sputnik, Uri Gegarin, and John Glen, belong to a bygone era that was more about the Cold War than Space exploration.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,045 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Truly he was a giant-- not just for America, but for the world, and not just for the 20th Century, but for all time. A great explorer, a courageous adventurer, a tireless advocate. a humble public servant, a noble hero, and a shining example of humanity. When the aliens come and ask us to justify our existence, John Glenn is one of those people we can point to and say this is what we can be when we stop being stupid and selfish.

RIP, John Glenn.  :(
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Yes, at 95, he lived a good, long life, and he outlived the times that viewed him as important and special, but for those of us who've studied spaceflight history, it's sad, and of course it would happen in 2016, which hasn't seemed like a very good year. Godspeed, John Glenn...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

I remember a radio interview he did many years ago, talking about the crazy conspiracy theories people around the globe believed about his doings. There was a rumour in the Islamic world that he encountered Allah, for example. Or something like that. After all these years, my recollection on the subject is a bit vague. Also stuff about him seeing UFO's in space, meeting aliens, that type of stuff.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:19 AM

RIP John Glenn.

I was surprised no one started a thread on the passing last month of Ron Glass, who starred in the shows Barney Miller and Firefly.

ETA: here is an article about Ron Glass' passing and the reactions from the Firefly cast, it is hitting me in the feels at the moment.

Edited by sierraleone, 17 December 2016 - 09:24 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

Oh, I didn't know that Ron passed away. :( (we are slipping, or we don't want to know our heroes are leaving us. :(  )
He was my favorite (okay, one of, they were all my favorites) character on 'Barney Miller'. His face was so expressive, you knew he was actually feeling the character's feelings in each moment. :happy:

Rest in Peace, Ron Harris/Shepherd, Ron Glass. (If you see my mother, give her a hug, she thought you were sexy. :)  )
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#8 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,105 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

So many big names have died recently that it's impossible to keep track. Shades of the early 70's (for whose of us dinosaurs old enough to remember). Charlie Chaplin and Groucho Marx died very close to each other back then, and like today, it seemed like yet another big name was gone. Louis Armstrong, Stan Kenton, Duke Ellington, Leopold Stokowski, Igor Stravinsky, Aram Khachaturian, Oliver Messian, Dmitri Shostakovich, too many silent-movie-era actors and directors to list, too many actors from the 20's and 30's to list, Abbott & Costello, the Three Stooges . . . those are just the few that I remember off the top of my head. They were calling 1973 "the death year" back then.

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,045 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 17 December 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I was surprised no one started a thread on the passing last month of Ron Glass, who starred in the shows Barney Miller and Firefly.  
I loved Ron Glass as Harris on Barney Miller as a teenager-- I really related to his ongoing struggles to get published. I'll never forget when he finally found a publisher interested in his book Precinct Diary, and they promptly changed the title to Blood On The Badge.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

John Glen, great in so many ways including senator from Ohio. He had a lot of thr right stuff.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Why'd you do it, Senator Glenn? :(

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,045 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

^^  Do what?  :unsure:

#13 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 08 January 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

^^  Do what?  :unsure:

#14 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,767 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

That reminded me of maybe my favorite astronauts, the physician/mathematician/etc Story Musgrave -- though he was hardly the only astronaut to report odd experiences, once their space career ended. I take all those tales as raw data, keeping in mind the vagaries of human perception/interpretation

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,045 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

^^  And stray protons above the atmosphere invading your brain.

That was hilarious.  I had never seen that before.  :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astronaut, space age, Friendship 7, senator

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users