What happened?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

For the last couple of days Exisle wouldn't load up. Just curious what happened?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Time

• Islander
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

I was worried, but over the weekend I found this:

https://twitter.com/...911624289124352

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I'm glad it was only that, I was actually getting worried.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 17,320 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

Sheesh, I've been running this joint for HOW long, and you're only now starting to worry?

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Never thought of Twitter, but luckily I have other ways.  :lol:

I think this is the only time EI has gone down since I've been here. At ReNext, we have a Facebook page where we can gather when something happens and we're waiting for a repair. Just a thought, in case.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

However little I still post anything useful here, I drop in to see what's going on, and as the downtime persisted, I suspected it was a billing issue with the server. Not knowing where else anyone posts, I wondered if it would remain unresolved and if I'd ever learn what had happened. Glad EI's back.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 02 January 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

At ReNext, we have a Facebook page where we can gather when something happens and we're waiting for a repair. Just a thought, in case.

I surprised myself with how distressed I was at the thought of this place being completely gone, so it would be nice if we could define an official fallback spot?  I think there are two ExIsle-related FB pages out there, but I'm not sure that anyone would think to check them (or update them).  For the record they are:

https://www.facebook...6/  -  Official page.
https://www.facebook...86075784796660/ - Ex Isle Friends Group... a closed group that you need to be approved to join.  No idea if it's still being monitored to allow new members.

(And a big thank you, Orpheus, for taking care of us for all these years! :) )

Edited by Niko, 02 January 2017 - 07:50 PM.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

I too was worried. Like Niko, I was really distressed to think the board was just gone. It didn't help that the only email I had was Cardie's and I had no idea if she even stilled used it. I emailed her, and then went to RJ's Trunkards site and used his Twitter link to find Orpheus. I then joined Twitter just to ask him what was going on.

That's my slightly long winded way of saying that we definitely need to set up some kind of fallback spot.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

SFG found Orph's Twitter account, so I added... sorry, "followed" him to keep informed. :nod:  Truth be told though, I have no clue how to use twitter. :lol:
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 17,320 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

Anyone who has ever been on staff knows I'm crazy about backups, fallbacks, Plans B-Z, etc.

However, I won't touch Facebook. In fact, I actively block all its servers and services on all my computer. It can AND DOES track you across the web, even if you're not logged in, or even if you've never been a member.

Cheile and QT were running that page. I'm nominally one of the page's admins, as a pro-forma matter, but I've never viewed it, except as needed to enable the otehr FB admins, in the beginning.

But fallbacks are indeed important. The Cosmic Forces do not favor me, and will inevitably strike anything I don't have redundancies

Seriously, the list of computer (and other, much more important things, like a furnace and my parents) that have broken in the past few weeks is too depressing to type. I'm amazed It's all worked out. So far.

#11 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

Sorry for the down time. Usually our hosting company keeps me informed but for some reason they didn't this time. I have spoken with them to correct the issue.

I do not get here often (work and life has me running almost non-stop. I do keep the financial part going since I see friends still enjoy and use the board and I stop by to see what is going on.

A special thanks to Orpheus for keeping the tech side going!!

If anyone would like to help support the board email me for my PayPal account I use for ExIsle only. Every cent goes for the site monthly fee and annual registration fee to keep our board and the board's name under our control.

Thank you for being faithful to this experiment known as ExIsle.net!

LoP

#12 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

Thank you, LoP!

Silly question, but:  When you say "email", is the hotmail address that shows on your profile the right place to ask, or just an internal board PM?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#13 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 03 January 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

Cheile and QT were running that page. I'm nominally one of the page's admins, as a pro-forma matter, but I've never viewed it, except as needed to enable the otehr FB admins, in the beginning.

But fallbacks are indeed important. The Cosmic Forces do not favor me, and will inevitably strike anything I don't have redundancies

Couple brainstormy thoughts on FB alternatives:

- Perhaps there are few enough of us active that it would be easiest to have a voluntary "contact list" that we could use as a phone tree sort of resource?

- Thinking of other places where one could set up a sort of semi-personal forum without having any I.T. know-how...   Does anyone else frequent reddit?  I don't have any experience on the moderator end of things over there, but from the user perspective, it's pretty painless to set up a quick account, and there's a shiny "Start a new subreddit" button that looks like anyone can create a new one for anything they want.  (I know several people who've created ones that they use almost like a personal blog.)

#14 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

That is my regular email and the best way to contact me.

#15 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 02 January 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

For the last couple of days Exisle wouldn't load up. Just curious what happened?

Didn't you pay this year's membership fee? ;)
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#16 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,702 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 02 January 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Sheesh, I've been running this joint for HOW long, and you're only now starting to worry?

:p

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostNiko, on 02 January 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

I surprised myself with how distressed I was at the thought of this place being completely gone, so it would be nice if we could define an official fallback spot?  I think there are two ExIsle-related FB pages out there, but I'm not sure that anyone would think to check them (or update them).  For the record they are:

https://www.facebook...6/  -  Official page.
https://www.facebook...86075784796660/ - Ex Isle Friends Group... a closed group that you need to be approved to join.  No idea if it's still being monitored to allow new members.  
The first link seems dead and the second looks like it's well abandoned. We could always start a new one, though. It's an easy thing to do.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 02 January 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

and then went to RJ's Trunkards site and used his Twitter link to find Orpheus.  
Clever.  :lol:

View PostNiko, on 03 January 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

- Perhaps there are few enough of us active that it would be easiest to have a voluntary "contact list" that we could use as a phone tree sort of resource?  
That could work.  You can put me in your address book as RJDiogenes at either AOL or gmail. Also, anyone here is free to friend me on Facebook, where I'm known as Rick Hutchins.

- Thinking of other places where one could set up a sort of semi-personal forum without having any I.T. know-how...   Does anyone else frequent reddit?  I don't have any experience on the moderator end of things over there, but from the user perspective, it's pretty painless to set up a quick account, and there's a shiny "Start a new subreddit" button that looks like anyone can create a new one for anything they want.  (I know several people who've created ones that they use almost like a personal blog.)  
I've never been to Reddit, but that sounds easy enough.  LiveJournal is also a possibility, I would think-- I know we used to have a group there for KellyzKorner.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#18 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

http://exisle-lj-bea...nal.com/profile

There's the link to the LJ Ex Isle Beach group.  It hasn't been active in years but maybe this will get it active again.  That would be cool.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

Wow, my LJ login still works after all these years.  I submitted a request to join the group.

#20 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

I hope someone lets you in.  IMO Live Journal is so much better than Facebook.  I have an account at both and just really like LJ because it's made for rambling on while Facebook isn't.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users