• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

In my internet travels I heard of and came across this interesting how-to document called Indivisible.

After the election the staffers of progressive elected officials in congress reflected on what regular citizen could do to oppose/resist/fight against the Republican plans they disagree with. And they remember how Obama, despite being newly elected, and having veto proof majority in his first 2 years in office, he faced fierce resistance from what become known as the Tea party. Due to this the only lasting progressive thing that happened at the Federal level, when the Democrats had so much power, was the ACA. So, modelled grass-roots activism on the that movement, they provided the instructions for other people to use.

https://www.indivisibleguide.com/web

It has some very practical advice, and being congress/senator staffers they know how to get the most bang for one's buck when it comes to getting your representative's attention. They break it down into four short, easy to follow, chapters:

CHAPTER 1

How grassroots advocacy worked to stop President Obama. We examine lessons from the Tea Party’s rise and recommend two key strategic components:

1. A local strategy targeting individual Members of Congress (MoCs).

2. A defensive approach purely focused on stopping Trump from implementing an agenda built on racism, authoritarianism, and corruption.

CHAPTER 2

How your MoC thinks — reelection, reelection, reelection — and how to use that to save democracy. MoCs want their constituents to think well of them and they want good, local press. They hate surprises, wasted time, and most of all, bad press that makes them look weak, unlikable, and vulnerable. You will use these interests to make them listen and act.

CHAPTER 3

Identify or organize your local group. Is there an existing local group or network you can join? Or do you need to start your own? We suggest steps to help mobilize your fellow constituents locally and start organizing for action.

CHAPTER 4

Four local advocacy tactics that actually work. Most of you have three MoCs — two Senators and one Representative. Whether you like it or not, they are your voices in Washington. Your job is to make sure they are, in fact, speaking for you. We’ve identified four key opportunity areas that just a handful of local constituents can use to great effect. Always record encounters on video, prepare questions ahead of time, coordinate with your group, and report back to local media:

So, if you are interested or thinking about involving yourself in activism, or you know someone else who would or might be, read it, share it. There is a downloadable version on their website too.

Edited by sierraleone, 07 January 2017 - 11:15 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

That is all very useful. It also helps to remember the fail-safe's built into the political process itself. If Trump thinks he can just "executive order" his every whim into existence, he's got another thing coming.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 07 January 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

That is all very useful. It also helps to remember the fail-safe's built into the political process itself. If Trump thinks he can just "executive order" his every whim into existence, he's got another thing coming.

I don't doubt that.

I found this guide useful though for generally dealing with one's representatives, so that is why I added "& Republican majorities", as in the majorities in the House and Senate, or even state or local level. I don't imagine there is that much difference between politicians that these tactics can't work on state/province/local level politicians. And this certainly can be used against democratic politicians that are taking positions you don't like. They also had a small point in there about what if your representative is great and shares your point of view.

Edited by sierraleone, 07 January 2017 - 11:51 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Trevor Noah on the Daily Show said that it was angry phone calls from constituents that at least for now derailed the Republican attempt to gut the Congressional ethics investigation body. And one would figure that a lot of those were angry Republican constituents to so quickly impact upon GOP Representative's "consciences". The Tea Party folks were indeed squeaky wheels, relatively small in number but getting far more attention than their actual numbers merited. Evidently this ground level guerilla political warfare, targeting individual legislators, can be effective. After all, all these slime balls live for is re- election.

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Yes, I've been told by Congressional staffers that PHONE CALLS are the most effective way to have an impact. In the past, it was written letters, but those can too easily be skimmed/filed. Phone calls demand staffer time and engaged attention. Emails (as always) are low impact, as are online petitions.

Just make sure you have your talking points lined up before you call. The better you present yourself, the better you will be heard. Also, don't hesitate to give your name, address, etc. if asked. Yes, I find it intrusive, too, but it lets them confirm you're a real constituent.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

^ Thank you for that Orpheus.

This news article makes me happy: "U.S. government scientist go 'rogue' in defiance of Trump".
You may have heard about a general gag orders on government employees, from even speaking about their tax-payer funded research, among other things.

After being forced to delete a tweet about climate change on an official government twitter account government U.S. scientists have created alternative twitter accounts. One of the accounts is called

"Can't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS," one anonymous National Park Service employee posted on the newly opened Twitter account @AltNatParkService. "You can take our official twitter, but you'll never take our free time!"

The @RogueNASA account displayed an introductory disclaimer describing it as "The unofficial 'Resistance' team of NASA. Not an official NASA Account." It beckoned readers to follow its feed "for science and climate news and facts. REAL NEWS, REAL FACTS."
…U.S. environmental employees were soon joined by similar "alternative" Twitter accounts originating from various science and health agencies, including the [FDA], the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevent, and the National Weather Service. Many of their messages carried Twitter has tags #resist or #resistance.

Hopefully that bolded part doesn't sound too much like a challenge to those in the Trump administration.

- Masha Gessen

#7 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

Apparently progressives have decided to take back the Democrats from the corportists. Corportists are a large problem in both parties.

Corportist mean someone who favours policies that help further the interests of large corporations, wall-street, and other powerful monied people/organizations, at the expense of workers/citizens, and the environment.

They are calling themselves the Justice Democrats, and are planning on primarying corportist democrats and drawing their candidates from a pool of people put forward by regular people who sign up with them. As well as run their Justice Democrat nominees in other congressional/senate races. They have former Bernie people helping organize and manage this. They already have a platform on their website and have done very well in regards to members and dollars since the website opened, Sunday or Monday this week I think.

https://justicedemoc...6u6dZl0XxJRfw.0

I was reflecting last night on how it seems new Presidents seem to cause an existential crises in our country/citizens. Shortly after Obama got elected you have the right agitate and organize and we got the Tea Party.

Near immediately after Trump's election you have people on the left agitate and organize.

I am not comparing the two. Though after thinking about this, I almost want to ask Obama, "You spoke of Hope and Change, but people, at least on the left, forgot Yes We Can and that you were referring to the people's power to effect change, and even said that change depends on the people being engage. It seems that things have to get drastic, though, for people to get engaged apparently. Do you feel like that was a failing on your part, not being that right people to inspire them to do that? As opposed to people being scared into it when you leave?"

I watched a lot of independent media coverage of the women's march. After participating in a march/demonstration last year, I understand how uplifting those events are, and just watching them helped my spirits. I remember seeing one sign from one of the Marches that said, maybe sarcastically on some level,
"Thank you Donald Trump, for making me an activist".

Edited by sierraleone, 26 January 2017 - 07:26 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

It is very easy to find people resisting if you look. I decided to google Indivisible to see if it was getting any news coverage. There is apparently a New Public Radio Program called Indivisible, related to this and Exploring America in Transition. It is a call-in show, so anything can happen live on-air. They have a twitter hashtag #IndivisibleRadio, and is apparently being aired on Radio stations around the country. Here is a local news source in Minnesota about it: http://wunc.org/post...sition#stream/0
They say 8 pm, but that might be CT (in which case 9pm ET, 6 pm PT). At this time they are saying it is taking place during the first 100 days of the Trump's Presidency, so I imagine that it continuing depends on popularity. But if it doesn't, and you want to listen, you have 3 months to do before it disappears.

- Masha Gessen

#9 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 January 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

"Can't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS," one anonymous National Park Service employee posted on the newly opened Twitter account @AltNatParkService. "You can take our official twitter, but you'll never take our free time!"

Hopefully that bolded part doesn't sound too much like a challenge to those in the Trump administration.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it's a take on a quote from 'Braveheart':

Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

It is a fitting quote.

As for what I am doing, I am writing up a letter to the editor, and when I am done, I am going to send the link to Chuck Grassley.
I am also sending a letter to Dean Fisher, Representative, who sent my mother a birthday card this month, with a reminder to get her conceal carry permit renewed. My mother was 90 years old when she passed away last year. I find it lazy that they couldn't bother to check her status before they sent a birthday card. And they couldn't be bothered to check whether a 90 year old woman had a conceal carry permit. I find form letter type birthday cards (which this was) to be extremely insulting, as well as a waste of material and my time.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

I had heard rumblings about scientist and their supporters/allies wanting to do a march themselves.

Looks like its official, they are calling it the "March for Science". Like the women's march they will be holding them in cities around the country/world. The date they picked is Earth Day (though it is not only about climate/environmental sciences), which luckily is on a Saturday: April 22, 2017.

- Masha Gessen

#11 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:38 PM

I figured I'd put stuff about the Science March yesterday in here instead of in the other Trump threads. Though I am just posting to share a buzz-feed article with pictures of some of the marcher's best nerdy signs :D

https://www.buzzfeed...pVM#.bvxZoMlJXB

Some people were postings pictures of signs from the March in the comments too. One of the funny ones from there I noticed:

"Without science our only answer is "42"
(That's still more rational than 45.)"

*LOL* And from Time:

"Mr. President,
I know
Bacteria
More
Cultured"

:D

And here is a slate article full of good signs too:

http://www.slate.com...or_science.html

Edited by sierraleone, 23 April 2017 - 03:02 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Such great signs!  

So sad that they're needed.
Cats will never be extinct!

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

There was a march for truth this weekend reportedly wanting two things: a fair and impartial investigation into Russian influence into the election, and for Trump to release his tax returns. Here is Guardian pictures with some signs. The signs don't seem as catchy as previous ones, but damn some of these signs look professionally done, visually wise. Is protest signage become a professional industry? ;)

Here is a Mashable collection of more witty signs.

Edited by sierraleone, 05 June 2017 - 02:01 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#14 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

I actually came in here to bump this thread for a list of resisting fascism/autocracies that apparently has been around since election day (and before actually, the author release a full 151 page book on it before the election.) It is 20 points, so a little long to put in our signatures ;) But I thought I'd share it anyways.

He is a historian, with a focus on the rise of fascism in early 20th century Europe. And he put this list on Facebook Nov 15, 2016, which I share below. I saw an interview with him were he emphasized the 1st rule, saying if one fails to follow that one will be unable to follow the other 19 rules that follow.

Americans are no wiser than the Europeans who saw democracy yield to fascism, Nazism, or communism. Our one advantage is that we might learn from their experience. Now is a good time to do so. Here are twenty lessons from the twentieth century, adapted to the circumstances of today.

1. Do not obey in advance.
Much of the power of authoritarianism is freely given. In times like these, individuals think ahead about what a more repressive government will want, and then start to do it without being asked. You've already done this, haven't you? Stop. Anticipatory obedience teaches authorities what is possible and accelerates unfreedom.
2. Defend an institution.
Follow the courts or the media, or a court or a newspaper. Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you are making them yours by acting on their behalf. Institutions don't protect themselves. They go down like dominoes unless each is defended from the beginning.
3. Recall professional ethics.
When the leaders of state set a negative example, professional commitments to just practice become much more important. It is hard to break a rule-of-law state without lawyers, and it is hard to have show trials without judges.
4. When listening to politicians, distinguish certain words.
Look out for the expansive use of "terrorism" and "extremism." Be alive to the fatal notions of "exception" and "emergency." Be angry about the treacherous use of patriotic vocabulary.
5. Be calm when the unthinkable arrives.
When the terrorist attack comes, remember that all authoritarians at all times either await or plan such events in order to consolidate power. Think of the Reichstag fire. The sudden disaster that requires the end of the balance of power, the end of opposition parties, and so on, is the oldest trick in the Hitlerian book. Don't fall for it.
6. Be kind to our language. Avoid pronouncing the phrases everyone else does. Think up your own way of speaking, even if only to convey that thing you think everyone is saying.
(Don't use the internet before bed. Charge your gadgets away from your bedroom, and read.) What to read? Perhaps "The Power of the Powerless" by Václav Havel, 1984 by George Orwell, The Captive Mind by Czesław Milosz, The Rebel by Albert Camus, The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt, or Nothing is True and Everything is Possible by Peter Pomerantsev.
7. Stand out. Someone has to.
It is easy, in words and deeds, to follow along. It can feel strange to do or say something different. But without that unease, there is no freedom. And the moment you set an example, the spell of the status quo is broken, and others will follow.
8. Believe in truth.
To abandon facts is to abandon freedom. If nothing is true, then no one can criticize power, because there is no basis upon which to do so. If nothing is true, then all is spectacle. The biggest wallet pays for the most blinding lights.
9. Investigate. Figure things out for yourself. Spend more time with long articles.
Subsidize investigative journalism by subscribing to print media. Realize that some of what is on your screen is there to harm you. Learn about sites that investigate foreign propaganda pushes.
10. Practice corporeal politics.
Power wants your body softening in your chair and your emotions dissipating on the screen. Get outside. Put your body in unfamiliar places with unfamiliar people. Make new friends and march with them.
11. Make eye contact and small talk. This is not just polite.
It is a way to stay in touch with your surroundings, break down unnecessary social barriers, and come to understand whom you should and should not trust. If we enter a culture of denunciation, you will want to know the psychological landscape of your daily life.
12. Take responsibility for the face of the world.
Notice the swastikas and the other signs of hate. Do not look away and do not get used to them. Remove them yourself and set an example for others to do so.
13. Hinder the one-party state.
The parties that took over states were once something else. They exploited a historical moment to make political life impossible for their rivals. Vote in local and state elections while you can.
14. Give regularly to good causes, if you can. Pick a charity and set up autopay.
Then you will know that you have made a free choice that is supporting civil society helping others doing something good.
15. Establish a private life.
Nastier rulers will use what they know about you to push you around. Scrub your computer of malware. Remember that email is skywriting. Consider using alternative forms of the internet, or simply using it less. Have personal exchanges in person. For the same reason, resolve any legal trouble. Authoritarianism works as a blackmail state, looking for the hook on which to hang you. Try not to have too many hooks.
16. Learn from others in other countries.
Keep up your friendships abroad, or make new friends abroad. The present difficulties here are an element of a general trend. And no country is going to find a solution by itself. Make sure you and your family have passports.
17. Watch out for the paramilitaries.
When the men with guns who have always claimed to be against the system start wearing uniforms and marching around with torches and pictures of a Leader, the end is nigh. When the pro-Leader paramilitary and the official police and military intermingle, the game is over.
18. Be reflective if you must be armed.
If you carry a weapon in public service, God bless you and keep you. But know that evils of the past involved policemen and soldiers finding themselves, one day, doing irregular things. Be ready to say no. (If you do not know what this means, contact the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and ask about training in professional ethics.)
19. Be as courageous as you can.
If none of us is prepared to die for freedom, then all of us will die in unfreedom.
20. Be a patriot. The incoming president is not. Set a good example of what America means for the generations to come. They will need it.
--Timothy Snyder, Housum Professor of History, Yale University,
15 November 2016.

#17 is scary. I am not talking about generic pro-Trumpers. I am talking about
- Those armed and/or hate groups purport to be against the system; the militias, and the alt-right (neo-nazis, white nationalists, etc) that are ecstatic about Trump and taking up his banner, that is worrying.
- TigerSwan (a BlackWater-like private security corp born out of Middle-East war on terror) operating in the U.S., alongside the police, FBI, and other authorities, against peaceful protestors (of DAPL & related anti-pipeline movements).
- Portland OR Republican suggested allowing right-wing militias to protect rRepublicans when they are in the public square.

A quote regarding that last one:

When asked if he was thinking of having Republicans arrange for private security instead of relying on municipal or state police, Buchal confirmed this before adding that “there are these people arising, like the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters.” Buchal said it could be necessary to use them for protection “because there are now belligerent, unstable people who are convinced that Republicans are like Nazis.”

The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the Three Percenters as an “active antigovernment group” and describes the Oath Keepers as “based on a set of baseless conspiracy theories about the federal government working to destroy the liberties of Americans.”

Edited by sierraleone, 05 June 2017 - 02:38 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#15 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

*laughs* I was going through other March-for-Truth signs, and saw one that said:

"TRUMP:
THE TRUTH IS
COMEY-ING
TO GET YOU!"

:D

Edited by sierraleone, 05 June 2017 - 02:22 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#16 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

^ I'm looking forward to this coming Thursday like Christmas morning, thinking about the lumps of coal Comey's going to leave in 45's stocking. Better load up on the Maalox, Donnie!  ;)

#17 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

^ I wonder if Trump's twitter cell phone will mysteriously go missing Thursday evening ;) His lawyer and staff the next day, how did that end up between those couch cushions!

If not, expect some twittler hour tweets.

Edited by sierraleone, 05 June 2017 - 05:17 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#18 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

I'm hoping for a "you can't handle the truth!" Jack Nicholson sort of tweet in response to a Comey revelation.

As in "did I obstruct justice? Damn right I obstructed justice! You namby-pambies need someone up there on that wall obstructing justice! YES, I called a code red on Comey! I'd do it again with delight and scorn and I'd laugh like a hyena every time I did it like I did that wonderful day! Can I have my two scoops and a Diet Coke now?"

#19 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

Oh yeah, Donnie Deutsch coined a new word today on one of the shows to characterize 45's tweets. Since they're so often verbal turds he hybridized that to "twurds" or maybe "twords". He didn't offer a spelling. I favor the former,"twurds". :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: civil obedienceTrump, Repubicans, how to, activism, grass roots

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users